HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Old
01-22-2013, 02:05 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
I think you guys and us Oiler fans should start a group therapy session when it comes to dealing with stuff like this.
There's no point man, there is just too much stuff to tackle. It's the Neverending Story.

Just when I thought I was having a decent day then BAM, I get smacked in the face with this.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seabass45

Full story: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...rs-source-says

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Okay, let's think about this rationally and from his perspective. Again, Nino is not without fault here because if he was producing he wouldn't be in this situation. So of course he deserves some of the blame. That being said...

Nino, as a 19 year old, was very clearly not ready for the NHL; as you said yourself. Yet despite this, he remained in the NHL. Whose fault is that? Is that Nino's fault? No, it was the Islanders who decided to do that. It was the Islanders who decided to stick him in the press box or have him play 4th line minutes for much of the season. As a 19 year old.

Now again I ask you to put yourself in his position. The Islanders' actions blatantly imply that they were perfectly willing to **** around with - to completely undermine and sacrifice - you and your development for the sake of maintaining salary cap requirements for a single season. If you are Nino, how do you feel about that? Is that a situation you are happy with? Is that an organization that you feel is best serving you and your development? Is that an organization you feel has a plan and long-term outlook for you?

I'll state yet again that Nino is definitely at fault to a degree. But attempting to ignore the significant justifications he has for wanting to go to a different organization is just senseless.

At 20 years old, he is tied for 4th in the AHL in goals. Can you really say that being in juniors last year would have been better for him? His development is right on schedule. Plus, he made a lot of money last year, and is already 2 years into his entry level deal.

He really has nothing to complain about at this point.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
jonas2244

From what I heard over here in Switzerland he was very disappointed not being invited to the camp altough Bridgeport didn't have a single game during the camp and so not getting the chance to show his progress with the big club during the camp. This could be the main reason for this (if it's true), playing in the AHL shouldn't be a problem at all. He even didn't get a single word from one out of the Isles-organisation (Snow, Capuano, whoever) why he didn't get an invite to the camp.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Hi guys. Pretty shocked by this but what would you be asking from from Pittsburgh?
To start, Malkin, then we can work out the rest.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:07 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
Also, when has ESPN EVER been reliable hockey-wise. Eklund is more reliable.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Okay, let's think about this rationally and from his perspective. Again, Nino is not without fault here because if he was producing he wouldn't be in this situation. So of course he deserves some of the blame. That being said...

Nino, as a 19 year old, was very clearly not ready for the NHL; as you said yourself. Yet despite this, he remained in the NHL. Whose fault is that? Is that Nino's fault? No, it was the Islanders who decided to do that. It was the Islanders who decided to stick him in the press box or have him play 4th line minutes for much of the season. As a 19 year old.

Now again I ask you to put yourself in his position. The Islanders' actions blatantly imply that they were perfectly willing to **** around with - to completely undermine and sacrifice - you and your development for the sake of maintaining salary cap requirements for a single season. If you are Nino, how do you feel about that? Is that a situation you are happy with? Is that an organization that you feel is best serving you and your development? Is that an organization you feel has a plan and long-term outlook for you?

I'll state yet again that Nino is definitely at fault to a degree. But attempting to ignore the significant justifications he has for wanting to go to a different organization is just senseless.
Of course I'd be pissed off. In fact I'd be more determined than ever to reverse the course my career was heading and that appears to be what he is doing in the AHL. I'd also understand that being in the AHL is where I shoulda been last year and that with a condensed schedule like this there will be injuries and if I keep working my ass off and producing like I am the team will have no choice but to call me up.

Isles are very guilty in this don't get me wrong.. I just feel if this report is true it's very uncalled for coming from Nino.

I don't see not being invited to training camp as a slap in the face as many of the other players that normally would have been invited weren't. It was one week I think the Isles just didn't want to disrupt a good thing they had going in B'port since they know what they have there already want the kids to work on a few things knowing they will get called up when the first opportunity arises.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Just curious what do Isles need prospect wise via trade?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Renbarg

Can we stop with the salary cap ********? The Islanders would have easily met the floor without Nino last year, and not wasted a year off of his elc. The fact that they thought the NHL is a better option for him vs the whl makes far more sense.

I think Nino is angry simply because he probably felt he deserved to be in the NHL based on his AHL stats.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Hi guys. Pretty shocked by this but what would you be asking from from Pittsburgh?
There are a lot of great prospects with Pittsburgh but I doubt that Garth moves him. Nino is about to discover what Nabokov and Lubo have discovered-just because you want out doesn't mean you get what you want. You will not see a knee-jerk reaction by Garth. Nino would be a good fit for your team however.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Can we stop with the salary cap ********? The Islanders would have easily met the floor without Nino last year, and not wasted a year off of his elc. The fact that they thought the NHL is a better option for him vs the whl makes far more sense.

I think Nino is angry simply because he probably felt he deserved to be in the NHL based on his AHL stats.
He's probably pissed that he didn't even get a chance to go to training camp considering his solid AHL season to date.

This just reeks of crappy communication between the Isles and Nino, what else is new?

Old
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
If you have 1 point in the NHL, you should expect to be playing in the AHL for at least a year.

Devils advocate ... if your rushed into the NHL play poorly and your earning NHL money
and then work hard in the off season and your play improves in the minors and now your earning AHL money ... not even given a shot at camp ......

I think your 100% right that he and his agent should not expect him to be be playing in the NHL after that season. He also should have been sent down if he was playing that bad .. can you say cap circumvention?

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blinkman360
Norris

Still only seen Strang report this... and apparently he asked for a trade "last week" according to her article. Interesting that no one else has caught wind of this.

Again, this is HORSE RADISH. This is ESPN. I don't doubt Nino is pissed/disappointed, but I do doubt that he or "his camp" have asked for a trade.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Just curious what do Isles need prospect wise via trade?
Top line wingers. i.e. Nino. We're stacked everywhere else.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
OpAck

I have a very hard time believing this, but if it's true...this kid needs to suck it up and just spend the year "leading" the Sound Tigers. Snow and the Isles made a huge mistake with him last season...they made up for it by giving him a top role in the AHL to get his development back on track. It's working, but now is not the time to rush him back up to the NHL, just because the lockout ended. It seems like Isles mgmt recognized that and decided to leave him in the AHL.

And if it was because he wasn't invited to camp...well...it really wasn't "camp" to begin with. It was like, 5 days, one of which he spent LEADING the Sound Tigers in the scrimmage against the Isles at the Coliseum.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
What about prospects like C Brandon Pirri , LW Jeremy Morin or D Dylan Olsen?

Would any of them fit the Isles needs

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Also, when has ESPN EVER been reliable hockey-wise. Eklund is more reliable.
Its Katie, she's reliable despite the Redden mishap. ESPN also has very reliable hockey writers: Burnside and Lebrun for example.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:13 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
Top line wingers. i.e. Nino. We're stacked everywhere else.
Um, not really. We could use a premium d-man prospect just as much (maybe more) than a winger. We at least have other talented forwards to replace Nino - if he does get traded.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
A Pointed Stick
W.W.J.C.D?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post

Then he is a delusional prima donna with a locker room ego issue waiting to happen. Maybe he needs Garth to tuck him in at night as well.

Out of curiosity... who is his agent? That might explain some of this, if true of course, which it may not be.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Chardo

Can we get confirmation from a reliable source, other than often-wrong ESPN and useless Katie Strang?

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 187
Talk about dropping a bomb on us. Nino must REALLY be pissed about something to go straight to the media and say he wants out.

Not a good look for our organization.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
He's probably pissed that he didn't even get a chance to go to training camp considering his solid AHL season to date.

This just reeks of crappy communication between the Isles and Nino, what else is new?
That's why it makes sense. I mean really they invited REINHART to camp and there was no chance he was making the team. Give the kid some time to practice with the big club and they've covered their bases in case they feel he's not ready. No idea why Garth blew him off without giving him that chance.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
Konk

Honestly, if true, the Islanders definitely put themselves in this position by not giving Nino a chance at camp. They really owed him a shot at the big club considering his production and development this year in Bridgeport.

That said, Nino is in no position to ask for a trade. He's a young kid trying to earn his spot on the roster. I understand he's under the impression that he was on the team last year and with his production in the AHL, should've at least been given a shot. The problem is, players these days feel they are entitled when they really are not.

Both are to blame. The Islanders mishandled Nino so far in his young career and didn't give him a fair shake by both throwing him into the fire too soon and now holding him back from showing what he can do. Nino needs to shut up and keep stating his case instead of appearing as a prima donna.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:17 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Um, not really. We could use a premium d-man prospect just as much (maybe more) than a winger. We at least have other talented forwards to replace Nino - if he does get traded.
Would you look at top roster D? I'm asking out of personal fun, since I've always wanted to see Niederreiter and Baertschi on the same NHL team.

Seriously, I feel for you guys. Lee looks one foot out the door, Niederreiter is demanding a trade, I'm not sure what's going on with the DiPietro revolving door...Nabakov, Vishnovsky both originally refusing to show up...

Wow.

kirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
To start, Malkin, then we can work out the rest.
^This

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote