HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Surprises 2 games in...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 12:36 PM
  #51
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Kessel playing more of a two way game.
To be fair, he started off last season playing a pretty good two way game as well. Hopefully he can maintain it this year.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
  #52
Community
Former TMLKesselftw
 
Community's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 50
I'm surprised that nobody else is surprised by Gunnar's play so far... He's been brutal both games.

On the first goal against he was behind the opponents net when he lost the puck and there was a 2 on 1 (that turned to a 3 on 2) and he was the last man back.

I can't remember exactly what dissapointed me in the season opener against Montreal, but I remember repeatedly being disappointed in Gunnarson.

It's only two games, but he always seems to be that unnoticeable, solid Dman... And so far he hasn't been that at all.

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:49 PM
  #53
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser
 
Marco Esquandolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,624
vCash: 1170
How well the team has adjusted to playing a more simple, structured game. There's still lots of work to do, but the lack of odd-man rushes and blown coverage through the first couple of games has been impressive.

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
  #54
Porn*
Registered User
 
Porn*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In your nightmares
Country: Israel
Posts: 33,868
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Porn*
the good: only 2 games in
the bad: only 2 games in


way too soon for any of this lol.

Porn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
  #55
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
I'm surprised that nobody else is surprised by Gunnar's play so far... He's been brutal both games.

On the first goal against he was behind the opponents net when he lost the puck and there was a 2 on 1 (that turned to a 3 on 2) and he was the last man back.

I can't remember exactly what dissapointed me in the season opener against Montreal, but I remember repeatedly being disappointed in Gunnarson.

It's only two games, but he always seems to be that unnoticeable, solid Dman... And so far he hasn't been that at all.
The first goal agains was a fluke deflection of a puck that was going wide, and Gunnar wasn't on the ice. You must be thinking of the second goal, where Gunnarsson was knocked down from behind away from the puck in the clearest example of interference you'll ever seein the NHL. He then got called himself on one of the weakest interference calls you'll ever see, i think on his very next shift. If you can't remember why you were disappointed with Gunnar in the Montreal game, maybe you should move on.

Honestly, I wish all the people talking about Gunnar being at fault for the second goal would actually watch the replay. The only person really at fault was Kulemin with the bad giveaway and backcheck, but even then it would have been fine if Gunnarsson wasn't knocked down.


Last edited by bunjay: 01-22-2013 at 01:03 PM.
bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  #56
Milan90
Registered User
 
Milan90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
Country: Serbia
Posts: 1,322
vCash: 500
Gunnarson seemed to play pretty bad last night. I think it was him that blew a tire on Buffalo's second goal. Lost the puck and took an interference call on Kaleta.

He just seems out of it so far.

EDIT: Didn't see the post above. This was only from first viewing, I'll try to see replays to see what happened on the second goal.

EDIT2: You're right, Gunnar was hit from behind.

Milan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
  #57
Fenton
Registered User
 
Fenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,477
vCash: 500
Kadri. Making me eat crow.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
  #58
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan90 View Post
Gunnarson seemed to play pretty bad last night. I think it was him that blew a tire on Buffalo's second goal. Lost the puck and took an interference call on Kaleta.

He just seems out of it so far.

EDIT: Didn't see the post above. This was only from first viewing, I'll try to see replays to see what happened on the second goal.

EDIT2: You're right, Gunnar was hit from behind.
The interference call he took was also super chincy...especially following a non-interference call that took him out of a scoring play.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:48 PM
  #59
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Kadri. Making me eat crow.

and lots of it, and hopefully more to come

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
  #60
Community
Former TMLKesselftw
 
Community's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
The first goal agains was a fluke deflection of a puck that was going wide, and Gunnar wasn't on the ice. You must be thinking of the second goal, where Gunnarsson was knocked down from behind away from the puck in the clearest example of interference you'll ever seein the NHL. He then got called himself on one of the weakest interference calls you'll ever see, i think on his very next shift. If you can't remember why you were disappointed with Gunnar in the Montreal game, maybe you should move on.

Honestly, I wish all the people talking about Gunnar being at fault for the second goal would actually watch the replay. The only person really at fault was Kulemin with the bad giveaway and backcheck, but even then it would have been fine if Gunnarsson wasn't knocked down.
I may have seen the wrong # in the play and thought Gunnar was Kulemin if what you're saying is right... I thought Kulemin was the man knocked down and Gunnar was the man that lost the puck as it was kinda hard to tell...

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
  #61
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
I may have seen the wrong # in the play and thought Gunnar was Kulemin if what you're saying is right... I thought Kulemin was the man knocked down and Gunnar was the man that lost the puck as it was kinda hard to tell...
It was Kulemin with the turnover, Gunnar getting no call being knocked down away from the play. You can watch the replay on the Leafs official video thing. If you go to the 'highlights' channel you can watch goals/saves/hits/etc individually.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
  #62
Community
Former TMLKesselftw
 
Community's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Darkest Timeline
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
Kadri. Making me eat crow.
Knew he was going to do this for a lot of posters here Hope he can keep it up!

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:08 PM
  #63
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Knew he was going to do this for a lot of posters here Hope he can keep it up!
I think we should temper our excitement. I know he's looked better than ever in a lot of ways out there, but he's had hot scoring streaks before in the NHL.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:08 PM
  #64
johnnyboo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Za Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,096
vCash: 500
From what I've seen so far Kadri's looking really really good...I think I just might be jealous!! and it's nice seeing him do well especially with all the flack he gets on these boards !!!!

johnnyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:20 PM
  #65
hatterson
Global Moderator
 
hatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,351
vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokspeed View Post
Kessel hasn't lost his legs (damn he skates fast).
The play he made opening night against the Habs was crazy. Nothing came of it but I remember it was a loose puck kinda chipped out of our zone. Their Dman had a good 15-20 feet lead on Kessel but Phil just blew by him to take the puck at the top of the circle.

It was like watching peewee hockey.

__________________
Come join us on the By The Numbers forum. Take a look at our introduction post if you're new. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.