HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

View Poll Results: Our Goalie Situation - What's the Fix?
Stick with Crawford - he'll bounce back 28 36.84%
Assume Emery Will Become Our # 1 4 5.26%
Wait for a Prospect to Be Ready (plz specify who) 3 3.95%
Trade for a Goalie (plz specify who) 21 27.63%
Sign a free agent Goalie (plz specify who) 0 0%
Reconcile ourselves to the fact we're weak in goal and our strength will come from elsewhere 17 22.37%
Other (plz specify) 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 12:29 PM
  #226
zytz
lumberjack
 
zytz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
It did in the playoffs last year.
Yes, when a team with our offensive weapons puts up an avg of 2 goals a game that's a goaltending problem.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
  #227
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
If we had Niemi on this team, I am pretty sure most of us would be content. Crawford is no Niemi though.
in 10-11 Crawford was better and I remember talks about how we did win going with Crawford over paying Niemi

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
  #228
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Yes, when a team with our offensive weapons puts up an avg of 2 goals a game that's a goaltending problem.
No.... the two soft OT goals given up are the goaltending problem. One of them wasn't even a shot on goal.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
  #229
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 9,673
vCash: 500
Are we seriously still going over what was the problem in the playoffs? It seemed pretty obvious to me.

Crawford played well enough to keep us in the games all the way to OT. Then he completely fell apart. Twice.

When one player single-handedly loses half the series for you, it seems pretty clear where the problem lies.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:40 PM
  #230
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 22,599
vCash: 500
it's both. It's that core guys not stepping up combined with goaltending problems

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
  #231
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Are we seriously still going over what was the problem in the playoffs? It seemed pretty obvious to me.

Crawford played well enough to keep us in the games all the way to OT. Then he completely fell apart. Twice.

When one player single-handedly loses half the series for you, it seems pretty clear where the problem lies.
Claiming Crawf "single-handedly" lost us two games is way too harsh. When you give up 2 Goals after 60 minutes you would hope that'd be enough to win with the offensive firepower the Hawks possess.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
  #232
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Claiming Crawf "single-handedly" lost us two games is way too harsh. When you give up 2 Goals after 60 minutes you would hope that'd be enough to win with the offensive firepower the Hawks possess.
Smith was white hot heading in to the playoffs. If I remember right, he had given up 2 goals in his last 5 games. 3 of them were shutouts. He was ridiculously hot, and to be realistic - you aren't going to win a series like that unless you're own goalie steps up too.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
  #233
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 9,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Claiming Crawf "single-handedly" lost us two games is way too harsh. When you give up 2 Goals after 60 minutes you would hope that'd be enough to win with the offensive firepower the Hawks possess.
You would hope that, but clearly it wasn't. Sometimes games need to go into OT, no matter how much firepower one side has.

Crawford really did do a good job up until those OT periods, and if he had been beaten on better scoring chances, I'd put more blame on the team in front of him.

But for the way that he lost, twice, he absolutely is the only one responsible for those losses.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
  #234
TwistedWrister90
Thug Nasty
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 3,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Smith was white hot heading in to the playoffs. If I remember right, he had given up 2 goals in his last 5 games. 3 of them were shutouts. He was ridiculously hot, and to be realistic - you aren't going to win a series like that unless you're own goalie steps up too.
Good point. I remember O'Donnell ****ing up on a pinch then Leddy getting owned as well. Crawford still should have made the save, but I'm not going to blame him for losing the series, especially considering how awful a lot of the team played.


Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 01-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.
TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
  #235
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Good point. I remember O'Donnell ****ing up on a pinch then Leddy getting owned as well. Crawford still should have made the save, but I'm not going to blame him for losing the series, especially considering how awful a lot of the team played.
I agree with this. There was more than Crawford that cost the Hawks the series. But it not being 100% on him doesn't mean he should be our #1 still. Not IMO at least.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
  #236
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
We're not getting a new #1 right now, maybe not until after the season. I really hope the new rules produce more trading like we used to see but I can't recall many No. 1 goalies traded in season in recent years. Roloson, Lehtonen (although was hurt most of the year before being traded), that's pretty much all I can think of. We need to target a quality backup that can push Crawford. We know this team can win with a goalie that saves .910-.915 and there are plenty of backups that do just that every single year, actually, pretty much all of them do.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
  #237
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early
 
Cullksinikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,060
vCash: 500
I will go as far as saying the Hawks can't win the Cup with Crawford being anything more than a solid backup.

What's the ultimate goal?

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
  #238
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I will go as far as saying the Hawks can't win the Cup with Crawford being anything more than a solid backup.

What's the ultimate goal?
I agree.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
  #239
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I will go as far as saying the Hawks can't win the Cup with Crawford being anything more than a solid backup.

What's the ultimate goal?
What are you saying though? According to this board, .900 SV% is a solid (some would even say "great") backup. We won with Niemi sporting a .910 in the playoffs. We can do the same thing with Crawford. And I actually think Crawford could play a little better than that too. But for the love of God, get someone else behind him who can do the same things just in case.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
  #240
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
What are you saying though? According to this board, .900 SV% is a solid (some would even say "great") backup. We won with Niemi sporting a .910 in the playoffs. We can do the same thing with Crawford. And I actually think Crawford could play a little better than that too. But for the love of God, get someone else behind him who can do the same things just in case.
Crawford has been < .910 in 5 of his 7 professional seasons.

Emery is a small problem. Crawford is a big problem.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
  #241
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Crawford has been < .910 in 5 of his 7 professional seasons.

Emery is a small problem. Crawford is a big problem.
I think our AHL team has been a hole for developing goalies and even skaters for that matter. I really don't care too much about his numbers there. Crawford looked solid against L.A., let's see if he can build on that and play better tonight.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
  #242
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early
 
Cullksinikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,060
vCash: 500
Let's say the Hawks got Vokoun and started Crawford. It's hypothetical. Now, coldsteel, the Hawks are not anywhere closer to a Cup since they have a solid backup. They may put up more points in the regular season with an adequate number two, but they need Crawford or someone to come up big throughout the playoffs.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:20 PM
  #243
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I think our AHL team has been a hole for developing goalies and even skaters for that matter. I really don't care too much about his numbers there. Crawford looked solid against L.A., let's see if he can build on that and play better tonight.
You can not care all you want. His numbers and play have remained on the same level throughout.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:22 PM
  #244
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Let's say the Hawks got Vokoun and started Crawford. It's hypothetical. Now, coldsteel, the Hawks are not anywhere closer to a Cup since they have a solid backup. They may put up more points in the regular season with an adequate number two, but they need Crawford or someone to come up big throughout the playoffs.
That is why Emery is a small problem and Crawford is a big problem.

Barring injury or awful play by Crawford - Emery won't be playing in the playoffs. It's all on the starter.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
  #245
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early
 
Cullksinikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
That is why Emery is a small problem and Crawford is a big problem.

Barring injury or awful play by Crawford - Emery won't be playing in the playoffs. It's all on the starter.
Exactly. One trade can solve it all. You get a two-for-one when you consider Crawford can be a solid backup and the newcomer steps into the number one role for a Cup run.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
  #246
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Let's say the Hawks got Vokoun and started Crawford. It's hypothetical. Now, coldsteel, the Hawks are not anywhere closer to a Cup since they have a solid backup. They may put up more points in the regular season with an adequate number two, but they need Crawford or someone to come up big throughout the playoffs.
If we had Crawford and Vokoun, I'd be very happy with the goaltending. It's what I wanted in the offseason but Stan passed on it. I know one of those guys will be good enough. If you are looking for someone to carry the team to wins on his own, I'm not even sure that guy is available.

Kipper is the only one that could be available. I've always liked him but let's see how he does for awhile before calling him the savior. He's getting up there, has a ton of mileage and has been absolute garbage in each of his two starts so far. Obviously it is very early and he will rebound but I don't know that he is that guy to carry a team anymore like you are talking about.

He looked great last year, but he is 36 and as we know, the dropoff can happen at any time with these old guys and it can be a pretty dramatic one too.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:24 PM
  #247
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early
 
Cullksinikers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,060
vCash: 500
I'm not calling Kipper a savior. I think he can do a better job than Crawford, though, which gives us a better shot at the Cup.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
  #248
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,028
vCash: 500
This is why I suggested trading Leddy + 1st round pick for Lehner. The Hawks can afford to give up a 3rd pairing dman and a 1st rounder. Lehner probably would come here and take the job from Crawford in no time...and suddenly the Hawks one big hole is filled and they look deadly as the playoffs approach.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:28 PM
  #249
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I'm not calling Kipper a savior. I think he can do a better job than Crawford, though, which gives us a better shot at the Cup.
Yeah, I can agree on that. Huge cap hit and another year though. This would be our only acquistion for the next two seasons. It'd better work.

However, we all know how goalies are, they get in a zone and can be better than they are for long stretches. That's why I like having two good ones as opposed to one very good or one star goalie. Yes, without the cap, it would be different but it's here.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
  #250
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
coldsteelonice84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 22,547
vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
This is why I suggested trading Leddy + 1st round pick for Lehner. The Hawks can afford to give up a 3rd pairing dman and a 1st rounder. Lehner probably would come here and take the job from Crawford in no time...and suddenly the Hawks one big hole is filled and they look deadly as the playoffs approach.
Yeah, this type of deal I am fully on board with, a young, cheap guy who like you said, probably would take hold of the No. 1 job within a couple of months and solves the problem long term.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.