HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Goalie Conundrum thread (2013 edition)

View Poll Results: Our Goalie Situation - What's the Fix?
Stick with Crawford - he'll bounce back 28 36.84%
Assume Emery Will Become Our # 1 4 5.26%
Wait for a Prospect to Be Ready (plz specify who) 3 3.95%
Trade for a Goalie (plz specify who) 21 27.63%
Sign a free agent Goalie (plz specify who) 0 0%
Reconcile ourselves to the fact we're weak in goal and our strength will come from elsewhere 17 22.37%
Other (plz specify) 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-22-2013, 12:29 PM
zytz
lumberjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
It did in the playoffs last year.
Yes, when a team with our offensive weapons puts up an avg of 2 goals a game that's a goaltending problem.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
If we had Niemi on this team, I am pretty sure most of us would be content. Crawford is no Niemi though.
in 10-11 Crawford was better and I remember talks about how we did win going with Crawford over paying Niemi

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Yes, when a team with our offensive weapons puts up an avg of 2 goals a game that's a goaltending problem.
No.... the two soft OT goals given up are the goaltending problem. One of them wasn't even a shot on goal.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Sevanston

Are we seriously still going over what was the problem in the playoffs? It seemed pretty obvious to me.

Crawford played well enough to keep us in the games all the way to OT. Then he completely fell apart. Twice.

When one player single-handedly loses half the series for you, it seems pretty clear where the problem lies.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

it's both. It's that core guys not stepping up combined with goaltending problems

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Are we seriously still going over what was the problem in the playoffs? It seemed pretty obvious to me.

Crawford played well enough to keep us in the games all the way to OT. Then he completely fell apart. Twice.

When one player single-handedly loses half the series for you, it seems pretty clear where the problem lies.
Claiming Crawf "single-handedly" lost us two games is way too harsh. When you give up 2 Goals after 60 minutes you would hope that'd be enough to win with the offensive firepower the Hawks possess.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Claiming Crawf "single-handedly" lost us two games is way too harsh. When you give up 2 Goals after 60 minutes you would hope that'd be enough to win with the offensive firepower the Hawks possess.
Smith was white hot heading in to the playoffs. If I remember right, he had given up 2 goals in his last 5 games. 3 of them were shutouts. He was ridiculously hot, and to be realistic - you aren't going to win a series like that unless you're own goalie steps up too.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
You would hope that, but clearly it wasn't. Sometimes games need to go into OT, no matter how much firepower one side has.

Crawford really did do a good job up until those OT periods, and if he had been beaten on better scoring chances, I'd put more blame on the team in front of him.

But for the way that he lost, twice, he absolutely is the only one responsible for those losses.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM
TwistedWrister90
Thug Nasty

Quote:
Smith was white hot heading in to the playoffs. If I remember right, he had given up 2 goals in his last 5 games. 3 of them were shutouts. He was ridiculously hot, and to be realistic - you aren't going to win a series like that unless you're own goalie steps up too.
Good point. I remember O'Donnell ****ing up on a pinch then Leddy getting owned as well. Crawford still should have made the save, but I'm not going to blame him for losing the series, especially considering how awful a lot of the team played.

Last edited by TwistedWrister90: 01-22-2013 at 01:01 PM.
TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Good point. I remember O'Donnell ****ing up on a pinch then Leddy getting owned as well. Crawford still should have made the save, but I'm not going to blame him for losing the series, especially considering how awful a lot of the team played.
I agree with this. There was more than Crawford that cost the Hawks the series. But it not being 100% on him doesn't mean he should be our #1 still. Not IMO at least.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
We're not getting a new #1 right now, maybe not until after the season. I really hope the new rules produce more trading like we used to see but I can't recall many No. 1 goalies traded in season in recent years. Roloson, Lehtonen (although was hurt most of the year before being traded), that's pretty much all I can think of. We need to target a quality backup that can push Crawford. We know this team can win with a goalie that saves .910-.915 and there are plenty of backups that do just that every single year, actually, pretty much all of them do.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

I will go as far as saying the Hawks can't win the Cup with Crawford being anything more than a solid backup.

What's the ultimate goal?

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
I will go as far as saying the Hawks can't win the Cup with Crawford being anything more than a solid backup.

I agree.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:

What are you saying though? According to this board, .900 SV% is a solid (some would even say "great") backup. We won with Niemi sporting a .910 in the playoffs. We can do the same thing with Crawford. And I actually think Crawford could play a little better than that too. But for the love of God, get someone else behind him who can do the same things just in case.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
What are you saying though? According to this board, .900 SV% is a solid (some would even say "great") backup. We won with Niemi sporting a .910 in the playoffs. We can do the same thing with Crawford. And I actually think Crawford could play a little better than that too. But for the love of God, get someone else behind him who can do the same things just in case.
Crawford has been < .910 in 5 of his 7 professional seasons.

Emery is a small problem. Crawford is a big problem.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Crawford has been < .910 in 5 of his 7 professional seasons.

Emery is a small problem. Crawford is a big problem.
I think our AHL team has been a hole for developing goalies and even skaters for that matter. I really don't care too much about his numbers there. Crawford looked solid against L.A., let's see if he can build on that and play better tonight.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Let's say the Hawks got Vokoun and started Crawford. It's hypothetical. Now, coldsteel, the Hawks are not anywhere closer to a Cup since they have a solid backup. They may put up more points in the regular season with an adequate number two, but they need Crawford or someone to come up big throughout the playoffs.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:20 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I think our AHL team has been a hole for developing goalies and even skaters for that matter. I really don't care too much about his numbers there. Crawford looked solid against L.A., let's see if he can build on that and play better tonight.
You can not care all you want. His numbers and play have remained on the same level throughout.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Let's say the Hawks got Vokoun and started Crawford. It's hypothetical. Now, coldsteel, the Hawks are not anywhere closer to a Cup since they have a solid backup. They may put up more points in the regular season with an adequate number two, but they need Crawford or someone to come up big throughout the playoffs.
That is why Emery is a small problem and Crawford is a big problem.

Barring injury or awful play by Crawford - Emery won't be playing in the playoffs. It's all on the starter.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Quote:
That is why Emery is a small problem and Crawford is a big problem.

Barring injury or awful play by Crawford - Emery won't be playing in the playoffs. It's all on the starter.
Exactly. One trade can solve it all. You get a two-for-one when you consider Crawford can be a solid backup and the newcomer steps into the number one role for a Cup run.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
If we had Crawford and Vokoun, I'd be very happy with the goaltending. It's what I wanted in the offseason but Stan passed on it. I know one of those guys will be good enough. If you are looking for someone to carry the team to wins on his own, I'm not even sure that guy is available.

Kipper is the only one that could be available. I've always liked him but let's see how he does for awhile before calling him the savior. He's getting up there, has a ton of mileage and has been absolute garbage in each of his two starts so far. Obviously it is very early and he will rebound but I don't know that he is that guy to carry a team anymore like you are talking about.

He looked great last year, but he is 36 and as we know, the dropoff can happen at any time with these old guys and it can be a pretty dramatic one too.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

I'm not calling Kipper a savior. I think he can do a better job than Crawford, though, which gives us a better shot at the Cup.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Sarava

This is why I suggested trading Leddy + 1st round pick for Lehner. The Hawks can afford to give up a 3rd pairing dman and a 1st rounder. Lehner probably would come here and take the job from Crawford in no time...and suddenly the Hawks one big hole is filled and they look deadly as the playoffs approach.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:28 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I'm not calling Kipper a savior. I think he can do a better job than Crawford, though, which gives us a better shot at the Cup.
Yeah, I can agree on that. Huge cap hit and another year though. This would be our only acquistion for the next two seasons. It'd better work.

However, we all know how goalies are, they get in a zone and can be better than they are for long stretches. That's why I like having two good ones as opposed to one very good or one star goalie. Yes, without the cap, it would be different but it's here.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
This is why I suggested trading Leddy + 1st round pick for Lehner. The Hawks can afford to give up a 3rd pairing dman and a 1st rounder. Lehner probably would come here and take the job from Crawford in no time...and suddenly the Hawks one big hole is filled and they look deadly as the playoffs approach.
Yeah, this type of deal I am fully on board with, a young, cheap guy who like you said, probably would take hold of the No. 1 job within a couple of months and solves the problem long term.