HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around The NHL (Part XL)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  #726
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...02013202989057



Ah! Beaten to the punch.

Islanders have really ruined some prospects recently. Rushing to the NHL. Luckily, for the Isles sake, they were smart enough to send Strome back to Juniors.
I was hoping to see Strome/Reinhart ruined. But does anyone else think this AHL-CHL rule is stupid? What the hell is Strome going to learn scoring 2 PPG in a junior league? They should let kids like him play in the A a year early.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  #727
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I can't believe that Tarasenko's name appears in at least 4 separate threads on the first page of the RANGERS board. It's frickin' annoying.

Can we please just have the 'official Tarasenko thread' so the rest of us can ignore and avoid this stupidity?
Ignoring and avoiding the stupidity of that pick is not gonna be easy as both these players enter key points of their careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
what will Tarasenko be when guys like Weber and Keith start being put on him like a shadow.
What happends when he gets an even better understanding of the league?

Forget the points for a second. Hitchcock is using him in all situations on a deep Blues team. Speaks volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Potential deal in place for the the netminder


http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414190



any idea who the team is and what player???
Tampa Bay maybe. Hedman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
We've allowed 9 goals in two games. Not exactly sure how that isn't the bigger problem.

I mean, sure, I guess if we added Tarsenko to our 3rd line we would have lost 6-5 which isn't quite as bad.
The PP would look alot better with a pure sniper.

The forwards and their lack of puck possesion contributes directly to the back on the heels defense we've seen these last two games. This team has little chemistry when on the offensive, even on the PP. At this point you hope over time it'll all straighten out and we'll be peaking at the right time. The price we pay for however long that takes is home ice advantage in the playoffs if it takes some time.


Last edited by Bluenote13: 01-22-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
  #728
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
If we're looking in hindsight, you'd have to say that the NY Rangers had every right to be leary of drafting a Russian in the first round considering how that worked out for them the last time.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:42 PM
  #729
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
As far as Luongo - how about Philly for Bryz?

haohmaru is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:44 PM
  #730
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,613
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
As far as Luongo - how about Philly for Bryz?
Why would Vancouver say yes?

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:51 PM
  #731
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Exactly. So people are using 100% hindsight to prove a point. That's like saying I would win the lottery from today if I could put the numbers in tomorrow
The point is somebody still had the balls to use a top 20 pick on him and we didn't. He was a highly, highly touted prospect with a big stigma attached even though he stated in all his pre draft interviews that he would come over. He fell, we passed, he went a few spots later and now, 2 years down the road, he's a man of his word and the fact that he fell and so many teams passed out of fear when his scouting report clearly labeled him, even back then, as possibly the biggest potential star in the draft, just means a lot of GMs will regret not drafting him. I've stated countless times I'm not angry or bitter about it. I just think it was ill advised not to take the risk when the talent was so huge.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:51 PM
  #732
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Why would Vancouver say yes?
Depends on the "other player", I would assume. Luongo's contract vs. his play are no walk in the park either.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
  #733
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
If we're looking in hindsight, you'd have to say that the NY Rangers had every right to be leary of drafting a Russian in the first round considering how that worked out for them the last time.
It wasnt just Cherepanov. It was right after the Zherdev and Alexei Semenov experiences that really ticked Sather.

And even so, you should never pass on the best player available.

Remember, Old Slats said it best - "you've got to be a lion"

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 01:57 PM
  #734
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The PP would look alot better with a pure sniper.

The forwards and their lack of puck possesion contributes directly to the back on the heels defense we've seen these last two games. This team has little chemistry when on the offensive, even on the PP. At this point you hope over time it'll all straighten out and we'll be peaking at the right time. The price we pay for however long that takes is home ice advantage in the playoffs if it takes some time.
A right handed one, maybe, but I'm not sure VT would be getting the same opportunities here as he is in St Louis.

I think the offense as a whole is grossly under performing right now. However, there's a pretty clear drop off on the right-side of our defense.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:02 PM
  #735
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
If we're looking in hindsight, you'd have to say that the NY Rangers had every right to be leary of drafting a Russian in the first round considering how that worked out for them the last time.
STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP with this nonsense. This is garbage. 1 guy died and that scares wuss Sather forever. It's like people who don't fly because of a tiny chance a plain crashes.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
  #736
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
The point is somebody still had the balls to use a top 20 pick on him and we didn't. He was a highly, highly touted prospect with a big stigma attached even though he stated in all his pre draft interviews that he would come over. He fell, we passed, he went a few spots later and now, 2 years down the road, he's a man of his word and the fact that he fell and so many teams passed out of fear when his scouting report clearly labeled him, even back then, as possibly the biggest potential star in the draft, just means a lot of GMs will regret not drafting him. I've stated countless times I'm not angry or bitter about it. I just think it was ill advised not to take the risk when the talent was so huge.
Someone was willing to take a risk with their 2nd 1st rounder. There is a big difference attempting a home-run swing if you have already drafted a player you really like and are more comfortable with.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:15 PM
  #737
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,363
vCash: 500
I can't blame Nino for being unhappy with the Islanders, but I highly doubt anything comes of this. If anything, Snow is going to make an example of him thanks to the Vishnovsky fiasco.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
  #738
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Tarasenko's going to be a lot better than Schwartz too which is funny. I've said a million times I'm okay with McI and just think passing on such a huge talent, risk and all, was silly. Overall I hate the Russian stigma. I think these guys would be a lot more likely to come over and stay over if they weren't already being villainized by the NA media as a risk and a question mark by age 16.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:28 PM
  #739
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ignoring and avoiding the stupidity of that pick is not gonna be easy as both these players enter key points of their careers.



What happends when he gets an even better understanding of the league?

Forget the points for a second. Hitchcock is using him in all situations on a deep Blues team. Speaks volumes.



Tampa Bay maybe. Hedman?



The PP would look alot better with a pure sniper.

The forwards and their lack of puck possesion contributes directly to the back on the heels defense we've seen these last two games. This team has little chemistry when on the offensive, even on the PP. At this point you hope over time it'll all straighten out and we'll be peaking at the right time. The price we pay for however long that takes is home ice advantage in the playoffs if it takes some time.
all said with cutting edge logic presented in a flawless package.

theres a reason why bluenote is one of my favorite posters on this site.

kudos.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
  #740
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Tarasenko's going to be a lot better than Schwartz too which is funny. I've said a million times I'm okay with McI and just think passing on such a huge talent, risk and all, was silly. Overall I hate the Russian stigma. I think these guys would be a lot more likely to come over and stay over if they weren't already being villainized by the NA media as a risk and a question mark by age 16.
That's a good point. Russians have their character assassinated by the likes of Don Cherry and less extreme examples in the media. The KHL pays a lot of money to good players. I'm surprised they come here to be called soft primma donnas that don't care about playing defense and winning. They're treated like the lepers of the hockey community. Other Euros too but it's mostly the Russians.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
  #741
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
That's a good point. Russians have their character assassinated by the likes of Don Cherry and less extreme examples in the media. The KHL pays a lot of money to good players. I'm surprised they come here to be called soft primma donnas that don't care about playing defense and winning. They're treated like the lepers of the hockey community. Other Euros too but it's mostly the Russians.
I mean you've worked your whole childhood to be the best in the world at something. Draft day arrives and you're ranked at around #3 but you didn't leave home or the team that your father coaches to play NA juniors at 15 years old (like Yakupov did, for example) and so teams are passing on you left and right because you're Russian. Or you did leave your family, go live with strangers in Canada, learn a new language, adopt a new culture and TEAR it up as a rookie in NA only to be torn up by the media for not being as dominant in the playoffs (Grigorenko) and, once again, have teams pass on you left and right despite the fact that you were at one point the #1 ranked prospect in the world. Because you're Russian.

That sucks, IMO, and the stereotype gets perpetuated and these kids end up fulfilling it eventually because they're treated like lepers since before they're even drafted, like you said.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:44 PM
  #742
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Someone was willing to take a risk with their 2nd 1st rounder. There is a big difference attempting a home-run swing if you have already drafted a player you really like and are more comfortable with.
St. Louis traded David Rundblad, their 1st round pick from 2009 (previous draft) to draft Tarasenko. It wasn't like they had 2 1sts coming in and took a gamble.

St. Louis saw Tarasenko still on the board and traded w/ Ottawa to get the pick. It was a bold move, not a safe one.

frozenrubber is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
  #743
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I mean you've worked your whole childhood to be the best in the world at something. Draft day arrives and you're ranked at around #3 but you didn't leave home or the team that your father coaches to play NA juniors at 15 years old (like Yakupov did, for example) and so teams are passing on you left and right because you're Russian. Or you did leave your family, go live with strangers in Canada, learn a new language, adopt a new culture and TEAR it up as a rookie in NA only to be torn up by the media for not being as dominant in the playoffs (Grigorenko) and, once again, have teams pass on you left and right despite the fact that you were at one point the #1 ranked prospect in the world. Because you're Russian.

That sucks, IMO, and the stereotype gets perpetuated and these kids end up fulfilling it eventually because they're treated like lepers since before they're even drafted, like you said.
Bottom line, even if you look at established players if you're Canadian you're given the benefit of the doubt as a hard working good ole Canadian boy. If you're Russian you get criticized at the first mistake you make.

Imagine if it weren't Russian/North American, but it were Black/White.


Last edited by SnowblindNYR: 01-22-2013 at 03:06 PM.
SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
  #744
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
St. Louis traded David Rundblad, their 1st round pick from 2009 (previous draft) to draft Tarasenko. It wasn't like they had 2 1sts coming in and took a gamble.

St. Louis saw Tarasenko still on the board and traded w/ Ottawa to get the pick. It was a bold move, not a safe one.
I wonder when we'll be trading McIlrath for a good ole North American grinder.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
  #745
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
That's a good point. Russians have their character assassinated by the likes of Don Cherry and less extreme examples in the media. The KHL pays a lot of money to good players. I'm surprised they come here to be called soft primma donnas that don't care about playing defense and winning. They're treated like the lepers of the hockey community. Other Euros too but it's mostly the Russians.
there have been examples recently of russians who have threatened to sit out, sat out or bolted back to the K. all that hurts. in some ways, the bad rap russian players have gotten has been somewhat earned.

guys like kabanov for example did some damage and the canadian media especially went off on him and tagged him the poster child for whiny, spoiled russian prima donas.

alex radulov was another guy who didnt help.

but then a guy like burmistrov comes along as you say... see, thats the guy.

bottom line, if you watched any of the russians at the worlds in buffalo- i was there, you would have seen a bunch of high end offensive talent. same with major junior, lots of good young russian prospects who can dazzle.

im kinda bummed thinking that we probably wont draft any of them.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
  #746
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Bottom line, even if you look at established players if you're Canadian you're given the benefit of the doubt as a hard working good ole Canadian boy. If you're Russian you get criticized at the mistake you make.

Imagine if it weren't Russian/North American, but it were Black/White.
Exactly. Kovalchuk in the playoffs last year. Heartless. Thornton chokes every year. It's the team. He played through injury. Take your pick.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 02:59 PM
  #747
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
I bet we keep seeing young Russians come here earlier.

When the cream of the crop makes the leap it turns heads. Galchenyuk, Grigerenko and Tarasenko are shifting the tide.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 03:00 PM
  #748
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,613
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Exactly. Kovalchuk in the playoffs last year. Heartless. Thornton chokes every year. It's the team. He played through injury. Take your pick.
I don't remember any one saying Kovalchuk was heartless in the playoffs. Thornton got loads of criticism for his subpar playoff appearances. When he was a beast in the 2010-11 playoff, it was largely glossed over (including by you, it seems).

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
  #749
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Grig played junior here and Gally was raised in Wisconsin I think. And Grig's stock still fell. Unless you come over early as a show of good faith you're going to be climbing a steep hill. And it's a big decision to make at 16 years old.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
  #750
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Exactly. Kovalchuk in the playoffs last year. Heartless. Thornton chokes every year. It's the team. He played through injury. Take your pick.
Now that's just wrong, because Thornton gets tons of **** for being a choke artist.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.