HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Old
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Can we get confirmation from a reliable source, other than often-wrong ESPN and useless Katie Strang?
LOL and agreed. Every tweet I've seen from her over the last week and a half has been Ranger related. Now all of a sudden Nino wants a trade. You'd think a guy like Staple would be aware of this as well... maybe he's taking a nap?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

And so it begins.

I realize you guys would want to pounce on a possible extortion scenario to improve your clubs, but we don't have this from a credible source yet. It is all *speculative.*
I'm sorry for you, guys.

I really thought Niederreiter would make the team when P.A.P leaves. But why doesn't he get at least a look of 6 games at your team? It's not like you're full of great talented verterans......

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
What about prospects like C Brandon Pirri , LW Jeremy Morin or D Dylan Olsen?

Would any of them fit the Isles needs
I would go more with Teravainen than any other Blackhawk prospect.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

I don't buy this. I'll wait for Staple before I even comment.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
That WAS my attitude too, but it's true and we all know it. Let's just deal with it.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:27 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Regardless of whether or not any of this is true, imagine what went through Nino's head when he wasn't invited to camp:

"I spent this whole season inflating 28 year old/no future here-Colin freaking McDonalds numbers, and he gets handed a spot in the NHL while I don't even get an invite"

Obviously asking for a trade is one thing, but I have a hard time blaming Nino for being pissed about this situation. Regardless of what any of you in the "no prospect should play in the NHL before turning 24" camp think.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:28 PM
scott99

I will say this, I have noticed a slowing down of Nino's scoring pace the last couple of weeks. I wonder if this has to do with him possibly being unhappy ?

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Just curious what do Isles need prospect wise via trade?
I would assume we would package him and try to get a actual player. than again this is the isles so prob a prospect.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seabass45

If Strang ends up being right about this I hope everyone eases off a bit. She did a perfectly fine job with lockout reporting and she still has contacts with the organization.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Renbarg

I think ultimately this will be handled, and solved, with a conversation with Nino.

This kid is ultra-competitive and impatient (good traits in an athlete), which makes this kind of situation probably tough to deal with from his pov. He also thought he was ready for the NHL after he was drafted.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I would go more with Teravainen than any other Blackhawk prospect.
Nah

What about a Mark Mcneill type prospect?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:30 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
What about prospects like C Brandon Pirri , LW Jeremy Morin or D Dylan Olsen?

Would any of them fit the Isles needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I felt that same exact way, however, as much as I dislike ESPN, I doubt they run this story is there is no validity to it.

Nino has every right to be angry, however, I thought to a degree, when the kid's character was trumped up during the draft, that he would understand the process.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That WAS my attitude too, but it's true and we all know it. Let's just deal with it.
You don't think it's possible that he said something in the heat of the moment(considering Strang said this happened a week ago, that's right around the time Nino probably found out he wasn't making the team), and it was taken out of context or embellished?

I don't doubt he's frustrated/disappointed/angry, but I do doubt that he(as a 20 year old kid) would ask for a trade at this point in his young career.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Felix Unger
formerly Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Its Katie, she's reliable despite the Redden mishap. ESPN also has very reliable hockey writers: Burnside and Lebrun for example.
Yeah, this is reliable. The source is the agent, or someone from the agent's office. The Isles were given a few days warning, did nothing, so they went to the media. Otherwise, we'd hear an instant denial from the agent, which (of course) we haven't heard.

It was a big mistake not inviting Nino to camp. The next move is a request to be loaned to European club. Watch.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Felix Unger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
It's important to be patient. It sucks that when or organization actually does something correct with one of our high prospects this happens. Ughh.....

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Nah

What about a Mark Mcneill type prospect?
Using Hockeysfuture rating system as a base here, Nino is rated an 8.0 and the top LW in our system. McNeill is not even the top Center in your system.

Old
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Yeah, this is reliable. The source is the agent, or someone from the agent's office. The Isles were given a few days warning, did nothing, so they went to the media. Otherwise, we'd hear an instant denial from the agent, which (of course) we haven't heard.

It was a big mistake not inviting Nino to camp. The next move is a request to be loaned to European club. Watch.

Cheers,

Dan-o

I'll say this too.
Very disappointed the organization didnt handle this better

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Prepare to be bombarded on the Trade Forum with deals revolving around Nino.

I'm really shocked at this news though.
Paajarvi and Omark for Nino?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OlTimeHockey

Katie Strang. She has a "scoop" and we're going by her? Probably something blown out of proportion, BUT....I wouldn't doubt Nino isn't happy with the team.

He just didn't have anything. He was royally screwed by Snow (WANG).

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/1...y-as-a-rookie/
Quote:
-Only 14 forwards in the history of the NHL, since individual shot statistics have been recorded, have ended a season with a shooting percentage of below 2%. This includes Niederreiter, who converted an astonishing 1.4% of his shots in his rookie year: A single goal on 74 shots. The only players even close to Niederreiter’s age close to replicating that feat are Gilbert Brule, who scored once on 74 shots as a 21-year old, and Jeff Petry, an Edmonton defenceman who is incorrectly listed as a centreman by Hockey Reference.

-I talk about “PDO” a lot on this blog. PDO doesn’t stand for anything, but it’s the addition of a player’s on-ice shooting and save percentages, and a reliable indicator of how lucky a player has gotten over the course of a short span of games. Since the PDO stat began being record by Behind the Net in the 2007-2008 season, Niederreiter has the lowest, by far. In fact, he has the only PDO below 900 over the course of a single season, thanks in part to an absolutely unconscionable 0.84% shooting rate by the Islanders when he was on the ice.

-To put that into perspective… according to timeonice, a website that tracks a variety of different shot outcomes, Niederreiter was on the ice for just 2 goals for the Islanders… despite the team having taken 240 shots with him on the ice. Without going too far into detail of what happened when Niederreiter was out there, you can probably infer that his team got amazingly unlucky, as in, a lot of posts, a lot of great saves on the part of the goaltender.
So he got a taste too early like DP did.....rushed and stupid management let him rot out there. Now, like DP, he expected to stay in the pro's. Yet another bad move.....the management hurt his development and made a young guy think he'd earned it with strong AHL play, rather than going over what he lacked, explaining to him why our cheap owner let him play in the NHL in the first place and why staying in the AHL (as was the case with Portland to those 9 game tryout posters who insisted "he get a chance") was the best thing for his WHOLE CAREER.....

So if it is true and Strang wasn't a useless tool reporting this, don't trade him and start managing the team better from top to bottom, fire Snow and bring in someone to better organize this team (pretend it's an NHL team and professional!) or trade him and get rid of any drama, making a stance that only those who want to play here (all six guys) will play here.

I, personally, would bring in a reputable Team President, but Wang doesn't want that. Too much money and that would be one more guy hired that wouldn't be allowed to do his job correctly.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
blinkman360
Norris

BDGallof basically just pooped on this rumor. Implying it's possible something was leaked from Nino "camp" to speed a promotion along, but doubts a formal trade request was or will be made.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Regardless of whether or not any of this is true, imagine what went through Nino's head when he wasn't invited to camp:

"I spent this whole season inflating 28 year old/no future here-Colin freaking McDonalds numbers, and he gets handed a spot in the NHL while I don't even get an invite"

Obviously asking for a trade is one thing, but I have a hard time blaming Nino for being pissed about this situation. Regardless of what any of you in the "no prospect should play in the NHL before turning 24" camp think.
What does the "no prospect should prove he's mature enough and ready" camp think about him being professional enough to demand a trade and insist his 1 goal last year earned him a permanent spot?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Paajarvi and Omark for Nino?
Haha, I'm disappointed in you IATL. You didn't have Gagner in there? You're slipping bro.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
BDGallof basically just pooped on this rumor. Implying it's possible something was leaked from Nino "camp" to speed a promotion along, but doubts a formal trade request was or will be made.
Saw that, stating no names of agents were given or no QUOTE from nino's agent in the piece that Katie wrote.

Like you said, B.D. is not saying this is false but just not enough information to say that this is 100% true.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
xECK29x

I don't buy this until Staple tweets something about it. It's foolish to think Nino has any leverage or any say on how his development is going. What just because he is a AHL all-star he is ready for the NHL? He had a **** year last year and did not show anything (besides a few checks which put him way out of position) regardless of linemates that he is capable for a top-9 role in the NHL.

I don't buy it at all, if so his value is going to be so low it's not worth trading him.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
goal1228

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
GM Garth Snow: "All convos with players remain private, but I haven't heard from Nino himself that he's unhappy."

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Confirmed @KatieStrangESPN report that the agent for @thelnino25 asked #Isles for a trade, but team will not move him.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote