HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Kreider Thread (1/22: Kreider fine, skating at practice)

Old
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gross
Kreider says he's fine. Sore jaw. Pulled his head up from Orpik hit just in time.
Exactly what I thought it was

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

thats where hagelin belongs

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Obviously he will, I mean he's not playing with Boyle anymore.
why would you say that? Boyle is one of the best playmakers in the league.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
thats where hagelin belongs
agree 1000%

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
SlapshotTheMovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ramsay View Post
Good to see Kreider on the ice, but I really don't like stacking the top line like that.
I still think it might be better to have Kreider-Richards-Gaborik on the top line and Nash-Stepan-Callahan on the second line.

If Hagelin starts playing a little smarter he will probably move up in to the top 6
Kreider struggles on the thirdline against 3rd pair d and 3rd line offense and now you want him in the top line against 1st pair and 1stline? ugh...

SlapshotTheMovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
M Gaz
Drink to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotTheMovie View Post
Kreider struggles on the thirdline against 3rd pair d and 3rd line offense and now you want him in the top line against 1st pair and 1stline? ugh...
Boyle regularly plays against the opponent's top line.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

Quote:
Moving up a struggling player to see if better linemates can get his ass in motion is not exactly a revolutionary move. In fact, it's rather textbook.

01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Is this a video game?

Our 3rd line is regularly lined up against the oppositions top line. I think Hagelin is best served down there because I think hes a smarter player than Kreider.

Kreider going up to the first line has little to do with Kreider's scoring prowess for me. In fact, Im upset that so many people are willing to forego Kreider's process of turning into a complete player - but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do in a 48 game season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Moving up a struggling player to see if better linemates can get his ass in motion is not exactly a revolutionary move. In fact, it's rather textbook.
...and it usually means trouble.

Because very good to great hockey players can make an impact anywhere they play. They're the ones making their linemates better, not vice versa.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Machinehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
...and it usually means trouble.

Because very good to great hockey players can make an impact anywhere they play. They're the ones making their linemates better, not vice versa.
Chris Kreider is not currently a very good to great hockey player and might never be, who knows? Even if he never is I'll gladly take a complimentary talent with the star players we already have on the team.

I hope he becomes a star but I see Kreider panning out as more of a complimentary talent.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Chris Kreider is not currently a very good to great hockey player and might never be, who knows? Even if he never is I'll gladly take a complimentary talent with the star players we already have on the team.

I hope he becomes a star but I see Kreider panning out as more of a complimentary talent.
I agree. Its time to acknowledge we likely have more of a Brandon Dubinsky-type player in Kreider than the outlandish 40/40 prediction thats have been prevalent on this board.

If this franchise can keep developing those types of players and use them in trades like the Nash one, they'll be in good shape.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Machinehead

If Kreider became like a bigger, faster Dubinsky, sign me up.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:18 PM
mike14

If memory serves, Dubinsky was drafted with the reputation of a banging, high tempo, forechecking forward. Has anyone ever seen these attributes from CK is it more based on size?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
I agree. Its time to acknowledge we likely have more of a Brandon Dubinsky-type player in Kreider than the outlandish 40/40 prediction thats have been prevalent on this board.

If this franchise can keep developing those types of players and use them in trades like the Nash one, they'll be in good shape.
Still early to say. He seems to take time to adapt to new levels. There were worries when he was a college freshman because he didn't make much of an impact.
He then got progressively better.

It might take a few years to get be that 30 goal scorer that we think he could be.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:

Wayyyyy to early to acknowledge anything about him.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Wayyyyy to early to acknowledge anything about him.
Its too early to say hes more Brandon Dubinsky than a 40/40 or 35/35 player?

I think he'll fall in between (closer to Dubinsky levels) which is perfectly fine with me. But the #'s carelessly thrown around here would make him a star player - and I dont think we have that on our hands.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Its too early to say hes more Brandon Dubinsky than a 40/40 or 35/35 player?

I think he'll fall in between (closer to Dubinsky levels) which is perfectly fine with me. But the #'s carelessly thrown around here would make him a star player - and I dont think we have that on our hands.
How can you make any sort of decision so early?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
How can you make any sort of decision so early?
Because the smart money is on Chris Kreider not becoming a star, which is fine. I think he can be a very good player 25/25 type of guy that can max out at 30 goals per season. A very good top 6 player.

Hes not going to be a star, hes not going to be a 40/40 guy. Theres only a handful of players in the league these days capable of those numbers and their performance pops out in regards to everything they do. Those expectations/predictions for Kreider were as unfair then as they are now.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

To be fair, those 40/40 predictions were few and far between. I've always believed his upside is similar to Max Pacioretty's. 30-ish goals and 60-ish points in his best seasons. Patches was more Brandon Dubinsky than 35/35 guy until he finally put it all together after several unremarkable professional seasons.

You have to think that Kreider is feeling the pressure a little bit. After the impact he made in the post-season, the bar has been set insanely high -- not only by the fans but by the media and the Rangers personnel as well. Betwen McGuire's "star being born on broadway" comments and Nash's "He has all the tools to be a superstar" quote the other day, I can't even begin to imagine what's going on in his head. However, I think we owe it to him to give him more than two games before we come to any conclusions about where his upside ultimately is.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Because the smart money is on Chris Kreider not becoming a star, which is fine. I think he can be a very good player 25/25 type of guy that can max out at 30 goals per season. A very good top 6 player.

Hes not going to be a star, hes not going to be a 40/40 guy. Theres only a handful of players in the league these days capable of those numbers and their performance pops out in regards to everything they do. Those expectations/predictions for Kreider were as unfair then as they are now.
One of those guys who may always leave you wanting more.
The speed and skill say 40-40, but if you look at his production in college and a half year in AHL it doesn't transalte to the scoresheet.

That's not a knock at all... A 50 point player with that kind of speed is a valuable commodity. We'll have two of them IMO as I think Hagelin will eventually be a 20 goal scorer also.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
To be fair, those 40/40 predictions were few and far between. I've always believed his upside is similar to Max Pacioretty's. 30-ish goals and 60-ish points in his best seasons. Patches was more Brandon Dubinsky than 35/35 guy until he finally put it all together after several unremarkable professional seasons.

You have to think that Kreider is feeling the pressure a little bit. After the impact he made in the post-season, the bar has been set insanely high -- not only by the fans but by the media and the Rangers personnel as well. Betwen McGuire's "star being born on broadway" comments and Nash's "He has all the tools to be a superstar" quote the other day, I can't even begin to imagine what's going on in his head. However, I think we owe it to him to give him more than two games before we come to any conclusions about where his upside ultimately is.
Definitely, people just need to sit back and relax and see how it develops rather than trying to be the one who correctly predicts his career.

He's got some skills, I like a few things I've seen out of him so far, he'll probably get more icetime with better linemates tomorrow, so we'll see how it works out.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Well said. Either way it is absurd to come to definitive conclusions about what his career will look like at this point.

01-22-2013, 04:02 PM
egelband

krieder should learn a lot from mr nash.

egelband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
I have to agree with Torts. Hit was legal. He needs to keep head up.
in this case, i agree. that hit was more krieder's fault than any malice on orpik's part. at least that's how it looked at first and second glance. i will usually point a finger at the headhunters who spend their whole shift looking to 'legally' injure someone. but in this case orpik had no choice but to cream him. essentially.

egelband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:12 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The hit wasn't even that bad.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote