HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
azaloum90

vCash: 500
havent gotten to the garden yet. Cant wait to see it.

I'm 2 sided about the bridges though...

On one hand, the extra arena seating is always nice, and if those seats don't cost an arm and a leg, it would be pretty sweet sitting there...

On the other hand, upper 200's is going to be horrific seating and I'll end up paying another 15-20 a ticket to move down 10 rows... crap

Old
01-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Cmf1125

The upper concourse is awful - like so awful I feel like MSG must be violating all sorts of fire codes. During intermissions you could not walk at all - let alone try to go to the bathroom. The extra concessions shoved into the narrow tiny corridors made it nearly impossible to get by - there was no flow of traffic at all. When I walked, I didn't really walk - but was merely being shoved forward by the crowd.

Extremely disappointed - very unpleasant and claustrophobic. When MSG got rid of the walkways, how did they expect the thousands of people to walk through those narrow hallways efficiently - not made even more narrow with extra cotton candy stands...

It's abysmal. I sent a note to my rep about this - but not like she can/will be able to say or do anything.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
thesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Last season, the lower concourse was a traffic jam for opening night. It was miserable. Never had a problem since. I am hoping the upper bowl is the same way. 18000 people all came to check it out in between periods. After a few games, it will hopefully be ok.

Leg room seemed very tight in rows 3-14. But broadwayblue and I were chilling in Row 2 with extra leg room and a perfect view of both the Ice and the Ravens game on the TV's right in front of us. I must say, overall, I'm THRILLED with the reno and seats. No more cotton candy guy walking in front of me. No more of my 5'1 Fiancee complaining she can't see anything. No more Garden Vision sticking a camera in my face and telling me when to look happy... THRILLED!!!!
I'm with you 100% here. I'm in row 2 of 217. Legroom is great, view is great, love having a tv right in front of me. Love it that the row in front of me is $125 a game when my seats are only $79.

The 8th floor was crowded, but like you said, so was the 6th floor last year for opening night. I bet it dies down quite a bit once the newness wears off.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:39 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmf1125 View Post
The upper concourse is awful - like so awful I feel like MSG must be violating all sorts of fire codes. During intermissions you could not walk at all - let alone try to go to the bathroom. The extra concessions shoved into the narrow tiny corridors made it nearly impossible to get by - there was no flow of traffic at all. When I walked, I didn't really walk - but was merely being shoved forward by the crowd.

Extremely disappointed - very unpleasant and claustrophobic. When MSG got rid of the walkways, how did they expect the thousands of people to walk through those narrow hallways efficiently - not made even more narrow with extra cotton candy stands...

It's abysmal. I sent a note to my rep about this - but not like she can/will be able to say or do anything.
Yeah, I was walking around saying this has to be a fire code violation. It's all fun and games until a couple hundred people get killed in a stampede. The removal of the inside walkway really puts everyone in the narrow corridors. And do they really have to put employees selling water against the walls further impeding movement? Stupid.

But as my new row-mate DT#8 said, it probably will settle down a bit as everyone was moving around to check things out on opening night. Hopefully people will learn the most effective routes to the places they want to get to and the cluster@^$! that is the 8th floor concourse will become manageable.

That said, inside the arena I'm absolutely loving the new seating. These Row 2 Gallery seats are awesome. Really happy with the legroom, view of the personal TVs in the row in front of us, no distractions from vendors...and the sight-lines are money. As bad as the concourses are, the Row 2 seating is equally as good.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
The teal and magenta character of the early 90s? Ehhhhhh.
For me, it's all personal nostalgia. When I was little, going to the circus was my first MSG experience in the 400 teal area. When I went there to watch WWF wrestling, it was teal and magenta. When I went to my first Rangers and Knicks games, it was teal and magenta. If the Rangers didn't make it to the playoffs in 2008, my college graduation would've been in the teal and magenta.

It was dark, dirty and old. But it was the Garden.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:59 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnake View Post
I'm with you 100% here. I'm in row 2 of 217. Legroom is great, view is great, love having a tv right in front of me. Love it that the row in front of me is $125 a game when my seats are only $79.

The 8th floor was crowded, but like you said, so was the 6th floor last year for opening night. I bet it dies down quite a bit once the newness wears off.
I doubt it dies down. Yes, last year people came from all over the arena to see the 6th floor, hence the crowd. With the 8th floor, it is the only place for the people in the upper bowl to go to use the bathroom or get food/drinks. The corridor to too narrow, and having concessions on both the inside and outside is downright stupid.

I emailed my rep, but there is nothing I or she will be able to do.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:09 PM
patnyrnyg

I have been to games in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, NJ (both brendan byrne and the prudential center), Coliseum, Pittsburgh (both arenas), Washington, Carolina, Detroit, Quebec, Cleveland (IHL at the Gund), San Jose, and Florida. Can honestly say, last night was by far the most uncomfortable I have ever been in my seat.

Last edited by patnyrnyg: 01-21-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Hockeyplayer99

I emailed my rep to, I know nothing they can do about it, just ridiculous the prices we pay and the councourse and seats are worse then before

Old
01-21-2013, 02:31 PM
goalie dude
Rookie User

yeah it was cramped up top.. crazy.. truly pathetic.. I was angry

Old
01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

The complaints in this thread make me laugh. The Rangers only care about the things that make them more money... upper bowl ticket holders unfortunately do not fall into that category.

And, as with most things in life, it could always be worse... legroom in Montreal, Ottawa, Denver, and San Jose are all worse. Not to mention every airline in the world... and you're in those seats longer and with less to enjoy.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:44 PM
nevesis

It won't get any better on the 8th floor concourse. Like stated above, getting rid of the inside walkway will put EVERYONE on the inside to get around. It would be different if the width was similar to the 6th floor, but if anything its MORE narrow than the old concourses. Unreal that this wasn't planned out better.

Smaller bathrooms, hardly any real stalls to go into either? Piss poor planning.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Captain Monglobster

The lights on the ice don't look like the Garden anymore. I was watching last night and something didn't feel right. Then I realized that it looked like I was watching a game from NJ or Pitt...the lighting that helped make MSG unique is gone.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
The lights on the ice don't look like the Garden anymore. I was watching last night and something didn't feel right. Then I realized that it looked like I was watching a game from NJ or Pitt...the lighting that helped make MSG unique is gone.
I couldn't believe the new lighting. It totally made everything feel different. Although during the game, I got used to it, and enjoyed being able to see better. It's not yellow or dark anymore.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:57 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I couldn't believe the new lighting. It totally made everything feel different. Although during the game, I got used to it, and enjoyed being able to see better. It's not yellow or dark anymore.
It sucked with the dark patches on the ice but if they just fixed that I would have been fine with the dimmed lighting. Made it feel different than other arenas which I liked.

01-21-2013, 03:04 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
The complaints in this thread make me laugh. The Rangers only care about the things that make them more money... upper bowl ticket holders unfortunately do not fall into that category.

And, as with most things in life, it could always be worse... legroom in Montreal, Ottawa, Denver, and San Jose are all worse. Not to mention every airline in the world... and you're in those seats longer and with less to enjoy.
I agree MSG won't care, but disagree on the arenas you mentioned. Been to all of those except Denver, and the upper bowl at MSG is now worse.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:55 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Monglobster View Post
Completely agree. The garden looked SO different to me. After seeing hundreds of games under the old lights its definitely going to take some time to adjust. I thought of the same exact thing too, pittsburgh and the devils arenas.

The old white point was much lower and almost yellow. (If you change your TV color temperature around you can kinda get it back to how it was) You could tell, even in photos that they were taken in MSG. The lighting was a very unique quality is gone now and the new ones make the rink look a lot larger, the ice looks sharper and just plain different.

I was always moaning about getting better lighting in the building so I cant whine about it now. But its definitely a huge difference and combined with the new team and stands and everything, it just didnt feel right watching the game last night. It was weird.

But you always have to improve and even though I havent been to the new MSG it looks impressive.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
rick063092

Wish they had more stairways from the rear of the 200's going down a flight to the concourse..definite firetrap up there and walking all the way down to exit onto the concourse coupled with the thin aisles while people are walking in the opposite direction is assinine..running down a flight from the 400's to hit the bathroom and pick up a beer from a little stand during a tv timeout and not missing a beat is gone forever..

Old
01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
jiveseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick063092 View Post
Wish they had more stairways from the rear of the 200's going down a flight to the concourse..definite firetrap up there and walking all the way down to exit onto the concourse coupled with the thin aisles while people are walking in the opposite direction is assinine..running down a flight from the 400's to hit the bathroom and pick up a beer from a little stand during a tv timeout and not missing a beat is gone forever..
THIS.

The lack of a stairwell last night was menacing.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:01 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick063092 View Post
Wish they had more stairways from the rear of the 200's going down a flight to the concourse..definite firetrap up there and walking all the way down to exit onto the concourse coupled with the thin aisles while people are walking in the opposite direction is assinine..
well if it truly is a fire code violation then someone will complain to the FDNY or more likely a firefighter will attend a game and they'll force the garden to make changes. That's IF it's a violation

Old
01-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
well if it truly is a fire code violation then someone will complain to the FDNY or more likely a firefighter will attend a game and they'll force the garden to make changes. That's IF it's a violation
It's not. They couldn't have held any events without having been inspected in advance.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:25 AM
jhnyr

It's been said several times already, but I agree. Sunday night in the new section 222 was abysmal. There was no legroom at all. You cannot adjust in your seat if you are 5'7" or above. If there's a large person next to you, expect to be rubbing legs with them the entire game. The seats are smaller... which leads to another problem. I was in row 15, and during a few scoring chances, a few people started to lean forward or slightly get up... You know, anticipating a goal. There were more than a few people screaming bloody murder about those people leaning up. It was a bit pathetic. I understand these are people coming from the 400s, row 1, where they didn't have to worry about people in front of them. I was coming from the last row of the 300s, where I had a wall behind me and standing wasn't a problem, if I chose to do that. But these guys/gals need to relax.

At least the 200s will be a little louder than the 300s ever were. But that's the only good thing about this.

Literally no room to move on the steps up/down from the seats. Also, getting rid of the entrance hallways/gates is a major mistake. Having the narrow corridors now is very claustrophobic. And a delayed feed on a TV above it while your waiting for the whistle isn't much of a problem-solver. (Lack of room to get to your seats also leads to another problem -- there is no hope of getting to your seat and sitting down before play resumes... leading to even more impatient whining.)

But again, this is all just pissing and moaning because there's not one single F to be given by the Garden.

As for the ice, I have no problem with it being brighter. I'm sure that's better for the players. However, I would have been more than happy if that was the only change they made to the old girl. The old Garden was just that -- old. But it was still absolutely good enough as it was.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:39 AM
srsly989

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnyr View Post
It's been said several times already, but I agree. Sunday night in the new section 222 was abysmal.
I sat in that section last season for a game last season, whatever the section was called, and have tickets to that section this year. I remember the view being quite good, how is it this year?

Old
01-22-2013, 02:07 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

vCash: 1150
i think im in the minority but i thought the view from my new seats were better then the old 400s and the leg room was better in the new 200s

Old
01-22-2013, 02:12 PM
dstoffa

Quote:
It's not. They couldn't have held any events without having been inspected in advance.
Well, I did see them park a refrigerator in front of a fire exit on Opening Night.

It may have been fully compliant for the inspection. Now... not so much...

Cheers!
-Doug

Old
01-22-2013, 02:31 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassShootScore View Post
i think im in the minority but i thought the view from my new seats were better then the old 400s and the leg room was better in the new 200s
The view and sight lines are definitely better than the old 400's (those in the corner 400's may not feel the same way but it definitely is for those that were in the center 400's) but the leg room and space overall is worse IMO.

One thing I enjoyed was the 11th floor behind the 200's. Has a West Balcony type feel, albeit smaller, where you could hang out between periods. Only gripe I have is there should have been a bathroom or two up there even if it was a small one.

Closed Thread