HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
MonsterSurge

vCash: 500
Nino (not going to attempt his last name) is pretty physical too, eh?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I would add MacArthur to this list. He is a very likely trade target that makes a ton of sense on a number of levels.

The Leafs have Kessel, JVR, Grabo, Lupul, Kumy and if Kadri keeps playing like he is, Nonis will most likely try to move MacArthur for assets, given he is an UFA this Summer.

His cap hit is a little over 3m and prorated will easily fit. He just put up over 60 points a season ago and has potted twenty or more both years he has been in Toronto.

He won't get you out of your seat, but he is a more talented Kunitz. He makes a ton of crafty plays and has a non stop motor. He is a legit top six guy who would fit right in with Crosby, especially come playoff time.

He is an under the radar guy that if he became a Pen, people would love him.

I think he could be had for a second and maybe a mid tier prospect. If he doesn't work out, he can walk this Summer. If he clicks with Crosby, he can be signed for a really cap friendly hit under 3.5m.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in the Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
What could we possibly offer, that we would be willing to part with, that would make the Blues listen? They have no need for picks or prospects, and are probably only interested in youngish proven top 9 forwards (that are at the very least as good as Stewart) or top 4 defenders. At this point in time, we don't make very good trading partners.
The time to get Stew was last TDL when he was in Hitch's doghouse.

That time has passed.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I would add MacArthur to this list. He is a very likely trade target that makes a ton of sense on a number of levels.

The Leafs have Kessel, JVR, Grabo, Lupul, Kumy and if Kadri keeps playing like he is, Nonis will most likely try to move MacArthur for assets, given he is an UFA this Summer.

His cap hit is a little over 3m and prorated will easily fit. He just put up over 60 points a season ago and has potted twenty or more both years he has been in Toronto.

He won't get you out of your seat, but he is a more talented Kunitz. He makes a ton of crafty plays and has a non stop motor. He is a legit top six guy who would fit right in with Crosby, especially come playoff time.

I think he could be had for a second and maybe a mid tier prospect. If he doesn't work out, he can walk this Summer. If he clicks with Crosby, he can be signed for a really cap friendly hit under 3.5m.
Intriguing, but you might be underestimating his value some.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Just because Sid's line hasn't scored in 2 games (to start the season after a long, long layoff) doesn't mean they're all of a sudden worthless wingers.

How easy is it for teams to shut down Sid's line in the playoffs? Philly didn't, he still scored what, 10, 11 points? And the harder defensive assignments that are put on Sid means Geno's line is less defended, and good luck leaving Geno and Neal with the weaker pairings.

This team doesn't need offense. It'd be nice to have Nash or Perry on Sid's wing, but the cost would be too great and at the end of the day wouldn't even have got us out of the first round last year.
It's not just based on two games this season. It's based on evidence from the past, particularly in playoff series where Sid was keyed on strongly by the opposition.

Remember the Detroit series when we won the Cup? Sid was almost a non-factor offensively, because Zetterberg and Lidstrom basically keyed on him and challenged Guerin and Kunitz to burn them. They were incapable of doing anything, so that line was shut down.

The Montreal series a couple of years ago also saw them key on Crosby, leaving his wingers to do the damage. How'd that go for that line?

Heck, Sid "only" had 8 points in one of the highest scoring playoff series in the last 20 years against Philly, producing hardly anything the final 2 or 3 games of that series when Philly began keying on him and leaving it up to his linemates to burn them.

Sid basically has to be in beast mode for his line to produce. When he's not, or when a talented team like Detroit keys on him, his line doesn't produce. So why is it so hard to understand that bringing in a more talented winger who can actually create on his own is necessary evil to ensure that we've got two really, really dangerous lines, even when Sid or Geno aren't at their best?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Intriguing, but you might be underestimating his value some.
Doubt it. He is a UFA and that instantly lowers his value. Burke wanted a first last season when he had a yr left on his deal.

If Kadri keeps improving, MacArthur will most likely walk this Summer to a team that will give him a top six spot. If Leafs are out of the playoff picture, Nonis is very likely to deal him and I'm fairly confident it will take a second.

Some GMs get stupid at the deadline, so you never know.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
done. so far MacArthur and Kulemin have been underwhelming, which could lower their acquisition price.

added Nino for kicks.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
added Nino for kicks.
When is the last time the Pens made a deal in their division?

Anyone know?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
When is the last time the Pens made a deal in their division?

Anyone know?
-acquired Guerin from the Islanders

-trade with Philly for Hamhuis' rights.

but like i said, he's only up their for kicks.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:46 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
Could that be because we've had the same threads consistently over the last 5 years except for the few months when Hossa was around??
Maybe. Just maybe.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Frederick Stanley
MSF

Islanders probably have destroyed Nino before his 20th birthday. I only want him, if we don't have to part with one of our top prospects.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Doubt it. He is a UFA and that instantly lowers his value. Burke wanted a first last season when he had a yr left on his deal.

If Kadri keeps improving, MacArthur will most likely walk this Summer to a team that will give him a top six spot. If Leafs are out of the playoff picture, Nonis is very likely to deal him and I'm fairly confident it will take a second.

Some GMs get stupid at the deadline, so you never know.
I think you've got the story mixed up. Burke was OFFERED a first for Mac last year. At least, that's according to Burke/TSN.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
-acquired Guerin from the Islanders

-trade with Philly for Hamhuis' rights.

but like i said, he's only up their for kicks.
Right. I'm losing it... I even called the Guerin trade around T'Giving that season. Then when the rumors started he had been traded to a mysterious team, but had not decided to waive his NTC yet, I was hoping it wasn't the Pens.

Me at my bi-polar best.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I think you've got the story mixed up. Burke was OFFERED a first for Mac last year. At least, that's according to Burke/TSN.
Ya, that is probably it, but I don't think he ever mentioned the players by name. It was just assumed it was Kumy or Mac, but never confirmed by Burke.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Correct you are. He didn't take it supposedly because we weren't too far removed from playoff contention at the time.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:17 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
It's not just based on two games this season. It's based on evidence from the past, particularly in playoff series where Sid was keyed on strongly by the opposition.

Remember the Detroit series when we won the Cup? Sid was almost a non-factor offensively, because Zetterberg and Lidstrom basically keyed on him and challenged Guerin and Kunitz to burn them. They were incapable of doing anything, so that line was shut down.

The Montreal series a couple of years ago also saw them key on Crosby, leaving his wingers to do the damage. How'd that go for that line?

Heck, Sid "only" had 8 points in one of the highest scoring playoff series in the last 20 years against Philly, producing hardly anything the final 2 or 3 games of that series when Philly began keying on him and leaving it up to his linemates to burn them.

Sid basically has to be in beast mode for his line to produce. When he's not, or when a talented team like Detroit keys on him, his line doesn't produce. So why is it so hard to understand that bringing in a more talented winger who can actually create on his own is necessary evil to ensure that we've got two really, really dangerous lines, even when Sid or Geno aren't at their best?
Montreal shut down any and everyone until Philly that playoffs. Lidstrom and Z have shutdown everyone, Toews / Kane / Hossa line included.

Malkin still had 40 goal Neal and Sully last year yet didn't produce like he should have against Philly either, what's the story there? Should we get him another 40 goal guy on his wing?

Oh yeah, Philly only began honing in on Sid for the final two games, yup. They decided to just let him go for the first four, see what happens.

Sid is targeted by every single team in every single game and his playoff PPG is still through the roof. Like, incredibly through the roof.

Our defense lost it for us last year. We have one of the best offenses in the league. Maybe we should focus on defense before we blow our prospect load on another goalscorer. I'm all for another winger for Sid, but I can't imagine anyone worthwhile coming reasonably cheap.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:21 PM
wej20

Not sure why Nino's requested a trade, I think he's better off spending the year dominating the AHL then being ready to step into the NHL next season.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:25 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Not sure why Nino's requested a trade, I think he's better off spending the year dominating the AHL then being ready to step into the NHL next season.
Would you want to play for the Islanders?

Old
01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Montreal shut down any and everyone until Philly that playoffs. Lidstrom and Z have shutdown everyone, Toews / Kane / Hossa line included.

Malkin still had 40 goal Neal and Sully last year yet didn't produce like he should have against Philly either, what's the story there? Should we get him another 40 goal guy on his wing?

Oh yeah, Philly only began honing in on Sid for the final two games, yup. They decided to just let him go for the first four, see what happens.

Sid is targeted by every single team in every single game and his playoff PPG is still through the roof. Like, incredibly through the roof.

Our defense lost it for us last year. We have one of the best offenses in the league. Maybe we should focus on defense before we blow our prospect load on another goalscorer. I'm all for another winger for Sid, but I can't imagine anyone worthwhile coming reasonably cheap.
Okay then let's get more top defensemen then. Do you have any proposals?

Old
01-22-2013, 04:31 PM
KIRK

Quote:

What planet do you live on?

The Flyers threw the kitchen sink at Malkin in the playoffs. They did it again on Saturday. And, by the way, on Sunday, their top checking center-- Boyle-- and their top defensive pairing-- McDonagh-Girardi-- spent most of the game matched up against Malkin.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
KIRK

Quote:

MacArthur would be interesting in a plan C kind of way. Definitely concur that he's the type of subtle upgrade over Dupuis who would make a lot of difference in tandem with Sid and Kunitz. And, I also agree on what the market likely will bear for him as an impending UFA unless someone gets really, really desperate.

I'd shoot higher for Sid, but MacArthur would be the type of 'fall back' move that people quickly would come to appreciate.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:34 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Would you want to play for the Islanders?
I don't know but seems like a weird time to demand a trade.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Dangles78

vCash: 814
Did I read a Nino for Doughty+/E.Kane+ in that Nino trade thread?

Some people have gone full Milbury on this forum.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
What planet do you live on?

The Flyers threw the kitchen sink at Malkin in the playoffs. They did it again on Saturday. And, by the way, on Sunday, their top checking center-- Boyle-- and their top defensive pairing-- McDonagh-Girardi-- spent most of the game matched up against Malkin.
One thing with Malkin, that needs to change, is that you can get him to react and take stupid penalties. Sid? not at all. So part is a skill thing, but part as well I am sure is Malkin's lack of control emotionally.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
One thing with Malkin, that needs to change, is that you can get him to react and take stupid penalties. Sid? not at all. So part is a skill thing, but part as well I am sure is Malkin's lack of control emotionally.
Wow . . . just wow. Not as much? O'k, I buy that. Not at all? Take a break from the kool-aid.

Frankly, I saw both of them act like petulant children against the Flyers in the playoffs and then both have been pretty well behaved this season against two opponents who typically try to goad them.

Closed Thread