HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Joe Thornton to FLA

Old
01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Sevren

vCash: 500
Jumbo Joe is cursed, I am convinced he will never win the Stanley Cup. The deal that originally sent him to San Jose was bad for the Bruins but it allowed them to move on, build around another core and win the Stanley Cup. In the meantime San Jose is doing exactly what the Bruins were doing back then, which is contending but not winning.

At what point is San Jose going to rebuild? Thornton, Marleau, Havlat and Clowe are all 30+. They should think about trading some of them for picks and prospects and build another core around Couture.

Sevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
you've reached an all time low of pathetic, this is when this conversation ends

/
Oh I'VE reached pathetic. I simply gave you a sarcastic remark because you implied that Thornton not a part of our future. You clearly have not watched much of the NHL. Typical east coast bias.

CanadianSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
HockeyRulez
Let's Go Panthers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
Jumbo Joe is cursed, I am convinced he will never win the Stanley Cup. The deal that originally sent him to San Jose was bad for the Bruins but it allowed them to move on, build around another core and win the Stanley Cup. In the meantime San Jose is doing exactly what the Bruins were doing back then, which is contending but not winning.

At what point is San Jose going to rebuild? Thornton, Marleau, Havlat and Clowe are all 30+. They should think about trading some of them for picks and prospects and build another core around Couture.
This is very interesting, didn't really look at it that way...

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:11 PM
HockeyRulez
Let's Go Panthers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Oh I'VE reached pathetic. I simply gave you a sarcastic remark because you implied that Thornton not a part of our future. You clearly have not watched much of the NHL. Typical east coast bias.
1) I said in like 3 posts although I wouldn't trade for Thornton, he's a good player so I don't know where you got that from.

2) I watch every NHL game I can and I'm very knowledgeable about the game. And I along with a lot of other people happen to think hockey is better on the east coast....

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

vCash: 50
I understand that having Olli Jokinen as your all-time leading scorer makes it hard for you to appreciate a real elite franchise player, but no matter what you claim, you won't convince anyone that you know a lick about the Sharks with the things you're saying.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Pip
[hello] :)

coming from an outside perspective, Thornton is getting hugely underrated in these trades. This guy is a top 10 player in the league, who consistently is one of the best playmakers and brings a physical presence and leadership that every team needs. Although I don't like Thornton, I can respect his ablities and acknoledge him for being an elite player with a ton of value. Talks would start with Hubredeau and the panthers would add from there.

Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:08 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
This one gets a double
Please! Thornton is one of the top centers not named Malkin or Crosby. He's one of the best playmakers in the league. He is easily our franchise player and should have about 5-6 good years left in him. Oh, and he's been our only consistent playoff performer in the past 3 years, something we need more of.

I'm not saying you should trade Hubs + Bjug for him but that's the MINIMUM it would take for us to move Thornton. Otherwise it makes no sense for us.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Clowe Me

Joe's value to the Sharks is more than most teams are willing to part with. Add the fact that he has a nmc and it's hard to believe he will be traded from SJ. He has also expressed wanting to retire in SJ, so odds are he will get a new deal before the end of next year.

Also, quit allowing 1 guy to troll you all....

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

Quote:

Last year was an off year, but the years before that included many trips into the second round or later, including 2 trips to the conference finals. The times we didn't advance (Anaheim, St.Louis) were both terrible match-ups for the Sharks. It hasn't been 5th-8th seed barely in contention for the most part. The Sharks have been the best team in the NHL at a few times, and almost continuously one of the best teams. Whatever happens to the Sharks in the playoffs, attributing it to Joe Thornton is asinine.

If this year's team is bad, then I'd start trading everyone over the age of 30. Joe Thornton is the only one I'd hang on to unless blown away with an offer.

That being said: HORRIBLE trade partners here for Thornton. If a team isn't willing to part with their franchise type prospect the Sharks have no reason to even consider a trade.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:

So I guess Borque was cursed while he was in Boston too huh.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:16 PM
BaileyMacTavish
I cast Magic Missile

Send a message via AIM to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via MSN to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via Skype™ to BaileyMacTavish
I do not think this is beneficial for anyone. For the sake of answering the topic at hand Huberdeau + Bjugstad ++ (or some variation, Huberdeau + Bjugstad would be a starting point). Want to have our best player? Then give up the goods for him.

BaileyMacTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
VerySuperFamous

Huberdeau and Bjugstad would be iffy. Big Selke caliber player whose would likely put of 80+ points in a full season in the east vs two potentially great players.

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:01 PM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
1) I said in like 3 posts although I wouldn't trade for Thornton, he's a good player so I don't know where you got that from.

2) I watch every NHL game I can and I'm very knowledgeable about the game. And I along with a lot of other people happen to think hockey is better on the east coast....
1. Well you've been degrading Thornton by suggesting that Huberdeau is more valuable. Many GM's would choose Thornton at this now and time, and likely in the coming years. That is nothing to degrade Huberdeau, who I'm sure will do just fine, but a compliment to one of the greatest players of the past decade.

2. Well you clearly do not have a great understanding of hockey, judging by your posts here. You're probably one of a minority that thinks so. I am impartial; I really enjoy any hockey, no matter which "coast" it's on.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
FrolikFan67

we just dont make great trading partners then i guess. if it takes huberdeau and/or bjugstad then we'd just keep and build with them, and thornton will stay and probably play out the rest of his career in sj. i was just curious to see what it would take and where the value is at, and now that i know i think both teams would be happier to just keep their player(s). these threads are all made up and hypothetical anyways. no need to take them too seriously. its just for fun

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:05 AM
CanadianSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
we just dont make great trading partners then i guess. if it takes huberdeau and/or bjugstad then we'd just keep and build with them, and thornton will stay and probably play out the rest of his career in sj. i was just curious to see what it would take and where the value is at, and now that i know i think both teams would be happier to just keep their player(s). these threads are all made up and hypothetical anyways. no need to take them too seriously. its just for fun
Thank you. We are in a different place, we are trying to contend, while you are building for the future and the young guys are just starting to come up.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:

Maybe when the team stops dominating. I swear, San Jose has one lackluster season and everyone jumps on their roster. Thornton is to San Jose what Iginla is to Calgary. He will never be traded unless a GM offered a deal he ought to be fired for even considering.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote