HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Since when did we check reporters' reliability with BD Gallof?

Cheers,

Dan-o
When I go for validation (quality and reliability), I listen to the babbling drunk in the alley more than the Screaming Jesus guy with Turrets. BD's OK.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I know you guys are probably getting flooded by trade proposals, so no worries if you guys ignore this, but would you consider the following:

David Desharnais + for Nino?

Would it have to be a massive + ?
Not to be rude, but Nino is a former fifth overall pick, whom is still a highly regarded LW prospect in the league. Despite Nino's rookie year the kid is doing very well in the minors and would have to garner a pretty decent return and I don't think Desharnais would be a good starting point.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Chardo

Agents are always unhappy with their client's situation. This was irresponsible reporting by Katie Strang, trying to grab some relevance where she has none. Still can't fathom that she has a masters in journalism from Columbia.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Not to be rude, but Nino is a former fifth overall pick, whom is still a highly regarded LW prospect in the league. Despite Nino's rookie year the kid is doing very well in the minors and would have to garner a pretty decent return and I don't think Desharnais would be a good starting point.
You aren't being rude at all. I was expecting a few "Not even close, go **** yourself!" responses.

I was just checking. I didn't think it would be enough to get it done either, but some of my Habs brethren seem to disagree.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Agents are always unhappy with their client's situation. This was irresponsible reporting by Katie Strang, trying to grab some relevance where she has none. Still can't fathom that she has a masters in journalism from Columbia.
To be fair it has been confirmed that Nino's camp has approached the Islanders about trading their client.

Katie just reported what she was being told. Nothing wrong with what she did here.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
ferrisUML

Wasnt Nino at the blue vs orange scrimmage?

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:05 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Confirmed @KatieStrangESPN report that the agent for @thelnino25 asked #Isles for a trade, but team will not move him.
Ok, so it is real. What a POS.

Moving on, what could we expect in trade? I'd think last year and this little temper tantrum would hurt his trade value. But, thinking about this more let's examine who he would compare to and I come up with...

Kyle Turris.

Kyle cemented himself as a problem child, had similar AHL stats - 63 in 76, Nino had 36 in 39 but is more of a goal scorer - and was drafted high.

Even with Kyle's demand for a trade he returned Rundblad and a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't call Rundblad and a 2nd round pick "garbage" but the second was just thrown away on Vis without much thought, and Rundblad has not shown the ability to play a defensive game on the NHL level which is a considerable problem for a defenseman.

Maybe this can kick start a package for a good defenseman, but that's my desire getting in the way of my better judgement.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
WTF are you talking about. So many around here, you included, jump an any chance to dump on Snow/Wang and this is just your latest chance.

Last year, most everyone here was on Snow for having Nino up here. Claimed it was for cap reason, which was debunked. Now, he's in the AHL, where most of you say he belongs, but your still crapping on Snow, Wang and the org? Talk about talking out both sides of your mouth. Are we to believe the Islanders are the ONLY team to have a prospect play all or part of a season in the NHL, then spent additional time in the AHL? Lets use Detroit for an example as you ofter love to do:

Abdelkader, 2 whole years between NHL and AHL before full time NHL
Filppula, again, 2 seasons of mixed time
Helm, same
Smith, same

When other teams do it, its the right way. When the Red Wings do it, its the model way. When the Islanders do it, it sucks and is the display of a mickey mouse organization.

Maybe Nino is pisst, be he handled it poorly if true. You don't go to the media with this ****. You work your ass off and make it impossible for Snow and co to keep you down.

The double speak from people around here really pisses me off!
So Nino was ready and shouldn't have gone to Juniors, the DRW rush their kids and we're a well run franchise. Got it.

it's 4PM, people....happy hour started early.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
It's not hard to get a Masters from Columbia, you just have to pay a lot of $$$ and show up for class...

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Hipietro

What is with this team acquiring so many selfish pansies?

Bench him for a week at Bridgeport, that should shut him the **** up.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
binx bolling

so the isles do the right thing for his development and his agent complains?

We're laughing stock now but this reflects poorly on him.

binx bolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:07 PM
19 in a row

why all the fuss and panic? He is a 20 year old kid who got a shot at the big team last year and now had to take a step back, so of course he is impatient. The AHL is the right place for him to be right now, and I think the majority here agreed prior to this. I am hoping for now that this is much ado about nothing. Just guessing here but I think likely it blows over as soon as he gets a late season call up this year for our playoff run or next Fall when he comes up to stay. Does he have any leverage at this point to demand a trade? It could be part of a ploy by his team to get him called up sooner rather than later, the squeaky wheel. Not going to stress over this for now at least.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chardo

Quote:
To be fair it has been confirmed that Nino's camp has approached the Islanders about trading their client.

Katie just reported what she was being told. Nothing wrong with what she did here.

It has been confirmed that Garth has not heard a bad word from Nino. It's his agent that seems to be doing the complaining. Is that really news? Happens all the time in sports.

Old
IslandersFan17

Quote:
You aren't being rude at all. I was expecting a few "Not even close, go **** yourself!" responses.

I was just checking. I didn't think it would be enough to get it done either, but some of my Habs brethren seem to disagree.
Lol, fair enough. I would have to start with something like Beaulieu and go from there.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Irresponsible? What, for publishing the truth? It's not like anyone besides us cares.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:

I'm a little ticked off from this whole situation, but she's not the Isles beat writer anymore. She is not plugged into what is going on with the Isles like Staple is. Why would she report something that happened a week ago and was most likely squashed?

She wanted to generate hits. Her wording of her tweet made it seem like a much bigger deal than it was. So maybe it wasn't irresponsible, but she got played by Nino's agent. It's clear that the agent wants Nino in the NHL and was not happy with not being given a chance at TC. So he approaches Snow and Snow shot him down immediately and it was no longer an issue. Then the agent leaks it to Strang and she jumped on it - thus bringing the Nino 'flub' into the limelight all over the NHL.

Thanks agent and thanks Katie for wrecking my day and making this organization look bad yet once again. All in a days work.

Yeah, I'm still really annoyed.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
seafoam
Players, please

vCash: 395
What?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
82isles

@KatieStrangESPN
#Isles Snow declined to answer whether team would be open to trade but did say Nino as call-up still an option. "Yeah, absolutely"

@KatieStrangESPN
#Isles When reached for comment, Snow said shortened training camp was determining factor in not inviting Niederreiter.

https://twitter.com/intent/user?scre...w_p=tweetembed

82isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Last year, most everyone here was on Snow for having Nino up here. Claimed it was for cap reason, which was debunked.
Debunked by who? When?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:11 PM
IslandersFan17

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
I'll add this about great @KatieStrangESPN scoop - a "core" kid being fed up far out-Nabs and out-Vizzes all recent NYI operas.

This is how I feel. Terrible timing for this as well.

Old
Chardo

In the end, this will be a whole lot of nothing. Just keeping us busy on an off day.

Old
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Debunked by who? When?
By the fact that they didn't need Nino's cap hit to reach floor.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seafoam
Players, please

vCash: 395
I'm really suprised by this.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:12 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a proposal from your Hab brethren, proposing Columbus trade all 3 of their first rounders for Subban.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I'm a little ticked off from this whole situation, but she's not the Isles beat writer anymore. She is not plugged into what is going on with the Isles like Staple is. Why would she report something that happened a week ago and was most likely squashed?

She wanted to generate hits. Her wording of her tweet made it seem like a much bigger deal than it was. So maybe it wasn't irresponsible, but she got played by Nino's agent. It's clear that the agent wants Nino in the NHL and was not happy with not being given a chance at TC. So he approaches Snow and Snow shot him down immediately and it was no longer an issue. Then the agent leaks it to Strang and she jumped on it - thus bringing the Nino 'flub' into the limelight all over the NHL.

Thanks agent and thanks Katie for wrecking my day and making this organization look bad yet once again. All in a days work.

Yeah, I'm still really annoyed.
The fact that his camp is not happy with the Isles is news. You may not like it, but she has every right to report it. I seriously doubt she was trying to generate hits.

More likely, his agent went to Snow, Snow said no, Nino stayed in the AHL, and the agent went to the media. You can't blame the media for reporting that a player is unhappy when his "camp" says he is unhappy.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote