HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
  #151
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
I think Nino in the minors had more to do with the business of hockey than it had to do whether he had the skills or not.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
  #152
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by binx bolling View Post
so the isles do the right thing for his development and his agent complains?

We're laughing stock now but this reflects poorly on him.
This is how I feel, what an ass. He thinks he is entitled to a spot just because of his draft ranking?

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
  #153
Trizz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
In the end, this will be a whole lot of nothing. Just keeping us busy on an off day.
Yeah, i cant imagine that this are facts

Trizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:14 PM
  #154
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I'm a little ticked off from this whole situation, but she's not the Isles beat writer anymore. She is not plugged into what is going on with the Isles like Staple is. Why would she report something that happened a week ago and was most likely squashed?

She wanted to generate hits. Her wording of her tweet made it seem like a much bigger deal than it was. So maybe it wasn't irresponsible, but she got played by Nino's agent. It's clear that the agent wants Nino in the NHL and was not happy with not being given a chance at TC. So he approaches Snow and Snow shot him down immediately and it was no longer an issue. Then the agent leaks it to Strang and she jumped on it - thus bringing the Nino 'flub' into the limelight all over the NHL.

Thanks agent and thanks Katie for wrecking my day and making this organization look bad yet once again. All in a days work.

Yeah, I'm still really annoyed.
However, in her line of work being the first to break a story still holds some weight. Like you said it was to generate hits and look how many pages this has generated in such a short time. I don't even see game day threads grow like this.

I am obviously displeased, because instead of doing something productive, I am glued to the computer seeing any last bit of info possible. Yet, to get angry at Strang, as if this would not come out from any other source at some point...

Nino's agent would have gotten to anyone's ear that would listen and just a matter of time before someone reported it.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:15 PM
  #155
lazycop
F Theo Fleury
 
lazycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
What the Isles SHOULD do about this 'rumor':


Ignore it.


It's irrelavant whether or not Nino wants a trade. He's in the minors where he belongs. When he's ready he'll be promoted. End of story.

lazycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:15 PM
  #156
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I think Nino in the minors had more to do with the business of hockey than it had to do whether he had the skills or not.
Ellaborate. How do the Islander's benefit from not having their best players play in an abbreviated season? Where is the business logic for the decision?

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:15 PM
  #157
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
This is how I feel, what an ass. He thinks he is entitled to a spot just because of his draft ranking?
He thinks he should have been at camp to be able to compete for a spot

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  #158
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,089
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
He thinks he should have been at camp to be able to compete for a spot
No propsects were invited to camp.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  #159
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a proposal from your Hab brethren, proposing Columbus trade all 3 of their first rounders for Subban.
Hey, we have a rather large fan base. We can't control them all!

There's bound to be a few crazies in the bunch.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
  #160
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
What does the "no prospect should prove he's mature enough and ready" camp think about him being professional enough to demand a trade and insist his 1 goal last year earned him a permanent spot?
LOL, what's amusing is that you didn't even cross my mind when I wrote that.

I'm curious, what should Nino do to prove he's ready in your eyes? At first I thought you wanted all prospects to play and have success in the AHL before getting a shot(unless they are Tavares). Now that Nino has that, all of a sudden it's different. He has to be mature. First of all, from everything I've ever seen/read/heard on Nino in the past, he's come off as a very mature kid. This is the only thing I've ever read since he's been drafted that would reflect on him in a negative light.

Even if you want to buy into it, how would it matter? If a kid can play, he can play. His attitude(and I have a hard time believing that Nino has a bad one) really won't effect that. Look at Patrick Kane if you want an example. If Nino weren't a hard worker, that would be one thing, but I think you'd have a hard time proving otherwise after the season he's had this year.

As far as the 1 goal statement, you really think he felt entitled to anything because of his season last year? You know that's BS. He felt entitled to a CHANCE in training camp due to how hard he worked this offseason and due to his production at the AHL level. Considering Colin McDonald(fun fact: Colin is 8 years older than Nino but has one less career goal) was handed a spot in this top-9(try to tell me he "earned" that spot), can you really blame Nino for being disappointed?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:17 PM
  #161
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,284
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm not gonna insult you by calling them scraps.

I'll simply point out that the NYI don't want 5'9 O'mark and that Paajarvi has struggled at the AHL level.

Paarjarvi : 4 goals, 20 assist

Nino: 19 goals, 17 assist.
Paajarvi was playing behind Hall RNH Eberle and was getting no first unit pp time. The top unit pretty much stayed out the entire two minutes anyway.

Omark is 13g 34a 47pts in 37 games playing for Zug in Switzerland.

I dont think the value is that far off tbh.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:17 PM
  #162
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime
 
Richie Daggers Crime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYI fan in Atl
Posts: 9,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
By the fact that they didn't need Nino's cap hit to reach floor.
Unless I'm missing something, the cap floor was $48m, Nino's cap hit was $2.75m and the Isles spent just over $49m against the cap.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:18 PM
  #163
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I saw a proposal from your Hab brethren, proposing Columbus trade all 3 of their first rounders for Subban.
That sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else.

What about Eller? A former 13th pick, he's already proven to be at least a 3rd line center and still has plenty of upside. In fact I'm not convinced trading Eller for Nino would be smart from the Habs POV, but I'm losing faith in the Habs handling of Eller and think he'd be better elsewhere.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  #164
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
No propsects were invited to camp.
Which is wrong. How did he not get a spot and Colin McDonald did??

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  #165
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
No propsects were invited to camp.
Strome and Reinhart were. But the fact that Donovan wasn't should make him realize that it's not personal.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  #166
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
However, in her line of work being the first to break a story still holds some weight. Like you said it was to generate hits and look how many pages this has generated in such a short time. I don't even see game day threads grow like this.

I am obviously displeased, because instead of doing something productive, I am glued to the computer seeing any last bit of info possible. Yet, to get angry at Strang, as if this would not come out from any other source at some point...

Nino's agent would have gotten to anyone's ear that would listen and just a matter of time before someone reported it.
Nino's agent is the one I'm pissed off at. You're probably right and my anger towards Strang may be unwarranted, but I'm still pissed. Allow me that damnit!

She did get played though. Her recent tweets look very much like backtracking to me. I understand wanting to break first, but in all seriousness, who is she really competing with? If this was the Toronto media, I could understand. It's not so she could have done a little better job at least vetting things and thus causing an uproar. We all know how easy it is to make the Isles look bad - it doesn't take much at all.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
  #167
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
That sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else.

What about Eller? A former 13th pick, he's already proven to be at least a 3rd line center and still has plenty of upside. In fact I'm not convinced trading Eller for Nino would be smart from the Habs POV, but I'm losing faith in the Habs handling of Eller and think he'd be better elsewhere.
What have the Canadiens been doing with Eller that makes you say that?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
  #168
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
Which is wrong. How did he not get a spot and Colin McDonald did??
McDonald is not a prospect, but an AHL vet ready for a bottom 6 role in the NHL.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
  #169
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 50
I just read the thread about Niño on the 'Trade/FA talk' board. The worst thing about that thread is that 95% of the posters in the thread think that all of the NYI fans are retarded.

Every proposal was just... bad.

OnT: I find it weird that Nino has been asking for a trade. The season has just started, and last year everyone (including him?) saw that he wasn't ready for the NHL. I don't think he will get traded, and I don't think he increased his chances to get traded by talking to the media.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  #170
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
Which is wrong. How did he not get a spot and Colin McDonald did??
In a shortened EVERYTHING there is no reason to rush anything. Furthermore, Colin has been the captain down in BP and has been well more seasoned down there.

Nino needs to continue to develop and work on his game. If Nino had shown a little more last year this decision would be far easier. However, they are handling Nino correctly.

I could see if Strome/Reinhart were given a cup of coffee trial in the NHL and Nino wan't but NONE of our prospects made the team.

Heck even Donovan whom would be far better than Finley but they are developing their kids.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  #171
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,863
vCash: 500
Can someone tell me who his agent is?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
  #172
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
Which is wrong. How did he not get a spot and Colin McDonald did??
McDonald is a place holder till Bailey and Joensuu come back from thier injuries. By keeping McDonald on the NHL roster for the first two weeks they didnt have to put him on waivers to play in the AHL when the NHL season began. Thus banking on other teams to have thier rosters full and not claiming Mcdonald when they send him down in favor of Bailey/Joensuu.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:26 PM
  #173
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Ellaborate. How do the Islander's benefit from not having their best players play in an abbreviated season? Where is the business logic for the decision?
ONE GOAL.

My GOD! You bought a Nino jersey! He is not ready. He's a very important prospect and his development is a key factor in the future success of the team. So he's ready.....nothing more to prove......did all he could at that level....blah blah blah.....

Thankfully the Isles disagree. They no longer needed the cap money (oh, YOU debunked it! Onto Watergate!) and kept him down.

BTW, they kinda needed the cap money after trading Rolston, didn't they? Nah...he was our best LW'er. A gem. Nothing more to prove.

Bring Strome up, too. And Reinhart.


The BUSINESS LOGIC is to have a more sellable product with maximized talent when we try selling hockey in Ranger Country. Funny right after Wang gets his arena deal, we're signing younger scraps and being patient with rookies, isn't it?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
  #174
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
What have the Canadiens been doing with Eller that makes you say that?
Well today he's a healthy scratch to field two rookies together with a grinder on the third line.

Besides that, he's been written off offensively despite being used primarily in a defensive role (matchups, defensive starts) with very little power play time, and the closest thing to a good offensive winger given to him was Andrei Kostitsyn. He definitely has a tendency to rush plays so it makes sense he hasn't been given prime offensive matchups but I think that's natural when your most consistent support is Travis Moen.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
  #175
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 1130
Relax

No actual words from Nino were said, Its been from his agent. Lets be real, every agent asks for his clients to play and do well so they can make $$$.

Every Player wants to play in the NHL. Did Nino talk to his agent about being unhappy, Most likely yes, so then agent does his job and goes and makes his client happy by talking to the GM/Owner in getting him playing time or being traded.

As always Katie Strang just goes with the main headline cause lets face it, Journalism died in this country years ago and now we are left with talking heads in a 24 hour entertainment "news" channels.

Katie writes and tweets and ESPN.com and her article gets hits and they get more ad revenue and hence more $$$ - In the mean time everyone needs to calm down and breathe. Nothing is happening yet and if it does then rest assure the Islanders are getting top dollar for Nino. He still is a blue chip prospect and teams will pay. Lets just hope we dont get 2nd rd picks LOL

Ill trade package Nino to Winnipeg for Dustin Byfuglien and Evander Kane. 2 African Americans playing in Brooklyn = $$$$$$$$$$$

Edit - Kane is Canadian but whatever yall know what I mean


Last edited by Dutch Frost: 01-22-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.