HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lehner Back Down to Bingo

Old
01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by burf View Post
Would've been an insult to Andy, who's more than proven his worth to the team and deserved the opportunity. He had a good game in the 'Peg, it was Ottawa's home opener, and it was against a) his old team and b) a team he consistently dominates.

I know Lehner's the shiny new toy, but Andy's a big reason we made the playoffs last year, the main reason we took the Rangers to 7 games, and he's still right in his prime. Unless his play somehow falls off drastically in the next 2 years (and it shouldn't, since he's primarily a positional goalie rather than a reactionary goalie), you should get used to him being, at the very least, our 1A.

e: Not to mention he seems to be very well liked/respected in the dressing room
He could have got the Tampa game on Friday. Bishop will likely get that game now anyway. Can't see Mac putting Andy in B2B and 4 games in 7 days. Just not necessary no matter how well he is playing.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Bazel5

I really don't think Lehner will be the starter next year. Anderson has done no wrong so far and has invaluable playoff experience. I find it highly unlikely to have a rookie tandem of Lehner/Bishop.

Best case scenario (if Bishop becomes RFA like the poster above states) has Lehner backing up Anderson next season and Bishop traded in the offseason.

Bazel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
SilverSeven

This is great news. It hopefully means the team wont sacrifice goaltending depth just because people want Lehner in Ottawa.

It doesnt hurt Lehner at all, and sets us up to have a GREAT tandem when Andy is gone (which hopefully isnt this summer either....jesus people, patience...you will get to see Lehner soon)

For how bad goaltending has been here over the years, it blows my mind that people want to trade Bishop or Anderson so quickly. What the hell is wrong with have 3 NHL goaltenders? Especially when one is so young, and has such high hopes? Why rush him? Let him destroy the AHL.

Edit: To add to that, for the life of me I dont know how ANYONE can think it will be good for Lehner to sit on a bench in Ottawa rather than get time in the net in Bingo

Last edited by SilverSeven: 01-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.
SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

we don't have 3 nhl goaltenders. we have 2 nhl goaltenders and one very good ahl goaltender with a lot of potential.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Orr123

Honestly not shocked and I'm glad. Lehner can continue to prove his greatness at the ahl level and get lots of playing time and next year share that with Andy. It really makes sense and think that Lehner knew the plan. So hopefully he doesn't feel pushed aside.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:42 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
This is good news.

Shows the confidence MacLean has in Andy and that his game is there.

Lehner going back down, now makes Bingo HIS team.

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
Honestly not shocked and I'm glad. Lehner can continue to prove his greatness at the ahl level and get lots of playing time and next year share that with Andy. It really makes sense and think that Lehner knew the plan. So hopefully he doesn't feel pushed aside.
Lehner has played more and better than Bishop in the NHL level.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:48 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Thought he would get one before going down.

Round out the AHL MVP season Lehner

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:48 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

I'm an unabashed Anderson fan so I hope that when the time comes for Lehner to be the number 1, Andy stays on board like Khabibulin is in Edmonton. Having a reliable, teammate-friendly goalie as your #2 imo is invaluable.

Goalies get better with age. It's not conceivable that Anderson plays strong for all four years of his contract.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:54 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

This should not have been a surprise to anyone, Anderson was great last yr during the playoffs & Bishop had a one way contract. Regardless of what the organization said they weren't going to pay Bishop an NHL salary to play in Bingo when they can send Lehner down & it costs them nothing regardless that Lehner doesn't like it. Murray will bind his time & I think he will eventually move Bishop but it will be when he thinks he is getting fair value (2nd rd pick) or better deal. Murray can take his time. Anderson with Lehner backing him up in the playoffs would be awsome & even next yr. Lehner could be 2 to 3 yrs away from taking the #1 job away from Anderson & then having Andy as the backup is the perfect scenario.

I would like to see Condra, Regin, Daugavins & Bishop traded to upgrade somewhere but I'm not sure there is enough there for a guy line Nino, maybe if they added Puempel to the package. But Ottawa is already pretty strong on LW & big, they could use an upgrade at centre & on RW although they have a few pretty good prospects coming in those positions too. Right Shot Defence is where they need to upgrade the most & I'm not sure if what they have will get them the top 4 D they want. However, maybe a three way deal where Ottawa moves Bishop, Regin, Condra & maybe Puempel & Nino goes somewhere & Ottawa gets that top 4 defenceman they desperately want. Maybe they can get two RD defencemen & move Gonchar at the same time. Probably too much to ask for.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Jared Cowen 2010

Good decision. He wont play much at all with Anderson playing the way he is, so let him play in the A.

Jared Cowen 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
sens83

There is a god...

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:31 PM
ElRossoMatt

I really think Bishop will be gone at the deadline. Until then there's no point to keep Lehner here. With the way Andy's playing he'll probably get 90% of the starts. Good move.

ElRossoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:36 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Heard on the radio that Lehner isn't happy about being sent down. They said something about him not being willing to sign anything but a one way contract next season.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Tuna99

This is temporary, other GM's probably want to see Bishop in a couple of games before he gets traded

Lehner finishes the season for 1 simple reason, he is 1 of the 2 best goalies in the organization and will be here this season, this is why he was the back-up to start the season and this is why he will be back before the end of the season.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Ouroboros

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Heard on the radio that Lehner isn't happy about being sent down. They said something about him not being willing to sign anything but a one way contract next season.
Haha, how mad is Lehner going to be when he finds out he still has a year of his ELC to burn next year?

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:49 PM
topshelfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Haha, how mad is Lehner going to be when he finds out he still has a year of his ELC to burn next year?
Not mad at all really, he wants a one way contract not one year contract.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Im paraphrasing, not sure exactly what was said but something along those lines. Does anyone else know what was said?

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
benjiv1

I heard a little while ago that Lehner's agent was going to try and see if Lehner could be RFA eligable at season's end.

I think if Lehner plays 5 games this year, this would be the case, but I could be mistaken.

benjiv1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:11 PM
BK201

Quote:
he's fighting that saying he played the required amount of games to burn a 1 year.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Lehner is still under contract next year. He thinks that his combined games played and backup add up to more than 9 games in the NHL in one season so he burned up a year of his ELC. The games where he was a backup count for NHL salary but not as games played according to the CBA so Lehner is still on his ELC next season. Hope this doesn't become a major distraction / issue for him.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:16 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Lehner is still under contract next year. He thinks that his combined games played and backup add up to more than 9 games in the NHL in one season so he burned up a year of his ELC. The games where he was a backup count for NHL salary but not as games played according to the CBA so Lehner is still on his ELC next season. Hope this doesn't become a major distraction / issue for him.
I assume Lehner will be with Ottawa for the entirety of next year, either backing Anderson or acting as 1B goalie.

Either way, Lehner is firey. He will cool down and realize it's only a couple more months.

benjiv1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Orr123

I've gotta agree with above.

And as long as the Sens make it clear their plan for Lehner, I think all will be fine. He was the same last year from what I remember, thinking he deserved a spot. But anytime I saw an interview with him, I thought he seemed cooled down about it all.

I see him being up next year as a 1B type guy, and Anderson being a huge mentor to the kid.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Minister of Offence

Sens will probably fight hard to keep him happy. Bishops gonna dangle until they find a move. If they can balance their emotions, we'll be able to wait out a desperate team rough out of the gate in a short season, if not, would probably have to act quicker. Ideally they have until the deadline to scope the market and find a sucker

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:12 PM
playasRus

Not sure if unhappiness blown out of proportion or Lehner really has anger issues.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote