HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

How will the NHL make up for the loss of the All-Star Game?

Old
01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
hip check
Go North.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Only 75%? Dicks had some for $2.95 a couple of weeks ago and the Blue Line pulled everything off their shelves.
Collector's item.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip check View Post
Collector's item.
I got a puck, shirt and patch for my collection.

01-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
So, now that the season has started and the NHL is back full force, we need to address this. The lockout robbed Columbus of what would have been a lot of revenue and a great opportunity to grow the Columbus market by hosting the all-star game in Columbus.

So how does the NHL make up for it? How do you want them to make it up to us? Another All-Star game? Winter Classic game? NHL Draft?
Columbus will get the ASG in a few years... just as they did with Atanta.. nothing more.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:25 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Columbus will get the ASG in a few years... just as they did with Atanta.. nothing more.
Phoenix is the other team that lost the ASG after the last lock out. How did that work out for them?

Now the situations are different between Columbus and Phoenix, but it is the closest example we have and it is understandable if some might think Columbus gets the same treatment.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Phoenix is the other team that lost the ASG after the last lock out. How did that work out for them?

Now the situations are different between Columbus and Phoenix, but it is the closest example we have and it is understandable if some might think Columbus gets the same treatment.
I think a significant part of why it's not worked for Phoenix is because they were dragged into bankruptcy court before they could get the ASG back and have been in limbo ever since.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:10 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think a significant part of why it's not worked for Phoenix is because they were dragged into bankruptcy court before they could get the ASG back and have been in limbo ever since.
Correct

Old
01-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Correct
This then begs the question: is there a worry that we might end up in bankruptcy court?

Old
01-20-2013, 09:36 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This then begs the question: is there a worry that we might end up in bankruptcy court?
Nope, just pointing out that some use the fact that they never got the game back as a reason to think the same will happen here.

I fully expect the game to be here in the next few years, but I'm not sure if it will be 2015 or not.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:05 AM
Crede777
Deputized

The Jackets need to be getting in Bettman's ear ASAP about getting it back in 2015. Before the Leafs can start making too big a stink about it being their 100th anniversary.

Make him promise to give it to us just so we go away and leave him alone. Don't really care about setting the city up for exposure and all that. That's great and all, but what I really want is "WHAT?! BUT IT'S OUR 100th ANNIVERSARY! HOW COULD YOU..."

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:33 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The Jackets need to be getting in Bettman's ear ASAP about getting it back in 2015. Before the Leafs can start making too big a stink about it being their 100th anniversary.

Make him promise to give it to us just so we go away and leave him alone. Don't really care about setting the city up for exposure and all that. That's great and all, but what I really want is "WHAT?! BUT IT'S OUR 100th ANNIVERSARY! HOW COULD YOU..."
You might find some Wings fans that would express doubt in the usefulness of the bolded. Frankly, I'll be delighted if he punks Detroit on his alleged promises to move them east first, especially since I believe any such commitment preceeded the addition of a team that is actually further east. And if not, if he told them that after the CBJ arrived, even better! Why should I be disappointed by a lie to Wings fans?

As for the ASG, I think it'll be here sooner, rather than later. If not, I'll live.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:16 AM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyBuck View Post
I'd rather have the winter classic than the all-star game. It would be a spectacle that would draw more eyes (and bodies) to Columbus. Detroit v. CBJ in the Shoe would be terrific.
Couldn't agree more

CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'm not interested in retribution. That is playing the victim card. We'll get the all-star game down the road. It is what it is. There were many people affected during the lock out, we're nothing special.
I hear what you are saying, but its not that simple. The ASG sold tickets. I have a neighbor that split a pair season tickets just so he could go to the ASG...you can bet he's upset. We need the cash, plain and simple. The big boys (NYR, TOR, etc) are primarily responsible for the lockout imo, while the little owners took the biggest financial hit.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyBuck View Post
I'd rather have the winter classic than the all-star game. It would be a spectacle that would draw more eyes (and bodies) to Columbus. Detroit v. CBJ in the Shoe would be terrific.
I would be shocked if OSU ever got on board with something like that.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I would be shocked if OSU ever got on board with something like that.
I would not be shocked at all. The university gets paid for that sort of thing to happen. Work in an OSU-Michigan game at that same rink during pregame festivities, dump tons of attention on Umberger, and it'll be all good.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:37 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Well there is going to be at least one ASG in Ohio in 2015.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...to-cincinnati/

Old
01-22-2013, 09:15 AM
BlueJacket2

Quote:
Nice. How about one in Columbus as well!

BlueJacket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:17 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJacket2 View Post
Nice. How about one in Columbus as well!
My check book says no, but my mind says yes.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:29 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I worked the last one in Cinci (88?). Ran refills for the cookout Marge put on at the Zoo, though me and my pal mostly hung around spotting the players and ogling their wives and girlfriends (Paul Molitor's wife had a leather skirt on that I thought wouldn't have had enough material to make an eyepatch!). Had tickets to the game, too, and had a great time! Glad it'll be back in Ohio, the MLB game is the best (only good?) all star game in sports.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:34 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I worked the last one in Cinci (88?). Ran refills for the cookout Marge put on at the Zoo, though me and my pal mostly hung around spotting the players and ogling their wives and girlfriends (Paul Molitor's wife had a leather skirt on that I thought wouldn't have had enough material to make an eyepatch!). Had tickets to the game, too, and had a great time! Glad it'll be back in Ohio, the MLB game is the best (only good?) all star game in sports.
It's the only one that is played like a real game. I do like the NHL Skills Comp more then the HR Derby though.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:08 PM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's the only one that is played like a real game. I do like the NHL Skills Comp more then the HR Derby though.
Thats a great point playing for home field advantage really makes the game fun to watch, watching games like the NHL all star game and the Pro bowl is a joke!

CBJ All The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:09 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I hear what you are saying, but its not that simple. The ASG sold tickets. I have a neighbor that split a pair season tickets just so he could go to the ASG...you can bet he's upset. We need the cash, plain and simple. The big boys (NYR, TOR, etc) are primarily responsible for the lockout imo, while the little owners took the biggest financial hit.
As I said, I am not looking for retribution. You are doing what I said we shouldn't. Playing the victim card. The CBJ and the league knew up front this was a possible, if not likely, outcome. I didn't even bother considering buying tickets to the ASG for this very reason. Any person caught off guard by it and bought season tickets just for that reason should receive a good old smack in the back of the head and 10 minutes in time out.

I'm not interested in big market, small market politics. We know we are a small market and what comes along with it. The league doesn't owe us anything other than future considerations in upcoming events. Meaning another ASG as the earliest possible time and, perhaps, another draft sooner rather than later (the first one we did worked out great). As far as the WC, frankly I will be amazed if we get serious consideration until we can prove we can win on the ice with some star power. If I was in the league office, I wouldn't give us the time of day for that event

You said it wasn't that simple. Frankly it is just that simple.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Kev22

I bought season tickets for the first time knowing the possibility of the lockout. I'll take responsibility for that, I got my money back, so no harm, no foul. I was not going to miss out on the chance to attend an event in my city that they may never get again in my lifetime.

CBJ fans have grown accustomed to the "victim card." I blame Doug MacLean for that mentality with incessant whining and complaining to the NHL about how this club had been wronged. Plus, the list of curious occurances (ex. Wes Walz pants goal, the LA Kings clockgate, etc.) certainly don't help.

That said, I think the NHL realizes they have a market that is dying for competitive, winning hockey, that is now committed to doing right for the fans. They've seen first hand with the '07 draft that the fans will come and support the big events. I hope that I see a Stanley Cup Finals series in Nationwide, because NHL cities will see this city come unglued with enthusiasm if the Jackets were ever to win the cup. John Davidson has it right when he sees that this town is starved for winning hockey.

The NHL I hope will do the right thing and put the All-Star game here in 2015.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Misread Viqsi's post. She's right about preceding the game with OSU-Michigan. I'd be more concerned about the fickle weather at this latitude on January 1

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Misread Viqsi's post. She's right about preceding the game with OSU-Michigan. I'd be more concerned about the fickle weather at this latitude on January 1
Remember last Winter? What a mess. I don't see it happening here. Could it be played in Cleveland? Maybe. OSU isn't exactly a friendly neighbor to the CBJ.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
As I said, I am not looking for retribution. You are doing what I said we shouldn't. Playing the victim card. The CBJ and the league knew up front this was a possible, if not likely, outcome. I didn't even bother considering buying tickets to the ASG for this very reason. Any person caught off guard by it and bought season tickets just for that reason should receive a good old smack in the back of the head and 10 minutes in time out.

I'm not interested in big market, small market politics. We know we are a small market and what comes along with it. The league doesn't owe us anything other than future considerations in upcoming events. Meaning another ASG as the earliest possible time and, perhaps, another draft sooner rather than later (the first one we did worked out great). As far as the WC, frankly I will be amazed if we get serious consideration until we can prove we can win on the ice with some star power. If I was in the league office, I wouldn't give us the time of day for that event

You said it wasn't that simple. Frankly it is just that simple.
Are you familiar with the financial health of the organization? Do you know how many STH's have been lost over the last 5 years? Politics, retribution, victim card, etc....that's all meaningless. Its about money. A hockey team is a business, as a fan I'd like to get this one back in the black so I'm not like those poor Thrasher fans in 5 years. The ASG sells season tickets, thats what we need more of. We'll see it by 2015 imo.