HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The last few games you beat and rate them II

Old
01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

vCash: 500
Witcher 2- 9/10

Loved the game, wish it would have been longer. Three chapters felt short, despite the fact I know I played the game for quite a few hours.

The sequel hook was a bit annoying too.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:29 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Far cry 3

10/10. Absolutely insane storyline and game play.

Burning down marijuana fields with a flamethrower while a Damien Marley song is blaring in the background is the lifeeeeee

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:10 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
I just replayed this one too, bought a refurbished NES and got a lot of games that had the first 4 Megamans in it. Definitely brings back the memories, having to re-learn how to do that block jumping sequence in the Heatman stage without any powerups was fun. Hardest stage for me was Quickman if you aren't using any of the weapons you've gained from previous bosses.
Good fun, and I agree.. those blocks on the Heatman stage... no problems as a kid.. but a good 20 years later I had some problems gotta confess

I'm currently collecting all the games released in Sweden.. Even though there was only 210 released.. it's bound to take some time (and money )

What games did you get in that package?

Last edited by vippe: 01-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.
vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Good fun, and I agree.. those blocks on the Heatman stage... no problems as a kid.. but a good 20 years later I had some problems gotta confess

I'm currently collecting all the games released in Sweden.. Even though there was only 210 released.. it's bound to take some time (and money )

What games did you get in that package?
Mostly a bunch of games I'll never play, like Golf and some racing games, but it had the first two Castlevania's, Contra, and all three Ninja Gaidens in it, so that's what drew me to it.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:53 PM
vippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Mostly a bunch of games I'll never play, like Golf and some racing games, but it had the first two Castlevania's, Contra, and all three Ninja Gaidens in it, so that's what drew me to it.
Still a sweet package!

You got lots of great games and many of those are pretty expensive in Sweden in the retro market right now. I just recently bought Mega Man Scandinavian release complete with cart, instructions, box in 8/10 condition for about 200$. The European version has a sweet box.. the north american is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen

Compared to the European version:

Old
01-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Hizaki
Swifty

Dishonored 8.5/10

Awesome game...probably my favorite of 2012 ahead of Sleeping Dogs.
Downside is it's a bit short, but I beat it on low chaos so I can go back and have some high chaos fun anytime.

Hizaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Frankie Spankie

Trine 2: Goblin Menace DLC - 9/10

More Trine action!! Woo!! Got it gifted to me from a friend of mine actually, enjoyed it a lot. It seemed a lot more difficult than what I remembered the Trine games being. It was definitely more puzzle based than the base game or the first and I did miss the action but it was still a really fun experience with even more amazing artwork. Hope they make a Trine 3 sometime soon!

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Shepard

Catherine - 8.5

Decided to give this a try since I had some Christmas money, and it's by the Persona team, so I figured it should be good. Puzzle gameplay was much deeper than I expected, and pretty tough at times - even on easy, story and music were well done (love Shoji Meguro's work), and the art style is great. I was also pleasantly surprised by how the game doesn't really rely on sex appeal at all, despite what the box art may make you think.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 9.0

After playing Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors; I knew I needed to get either a Vita of 3DS to play this game (went with 3DS). The story is a bit worse than 999's, mainly because it serves as a bridge to Zero Escape 3, but it's still very enjoyable. The puzzles are better than 999's though, and it's nice how in the default difficulty, the characters don't practically tell you exactly how to solve the puzzles if you don't immediately solve them. Thoroughly enjoyed this game, and so far it's my GOTY for 2012. Can't wait for Zero Escape 3 and seeing how this trilogy ends.

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Far Cry 3: 8.5/10

Fantastic game, especially the 1st half, then it gets a little lacklustre.
Multiplayer is decent, only played a couple hours so far.
Marked down a touch because it is a little too easy, even on hard.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Zodiac

Far Cry 3 (pc)

9/10

up until near the end i was feeling like this game might be a 10/10 ...but i found myself getting a little worn and bored as the end drew near.

still an excellent game tho. the environment really sucked me in, sometimes looking photo realistic, and watching the animals interact with the environment or chase down prey, etc., ...it was all really cool to be in what seemed like one of the more convincing gaming environments to play a part in.

some really nice action sequences, too ...at times, making me think of the game as almost like a FPS version of Uncharted ...or something of the sort.

haven't played any multiplayer yet, so i have no idea how good any of that is ...but yeah, this game is pretty awesome.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Walking Dead (Telltale) 7/10.

Not sure how much of a 'game' it is but I found the characters more compelling than those in the show.

As it only takes about 10 hours i'm not sure if i'd be willing to pay episodically $5 each as others did but for the $12 I paid is was worthwhile for all 5 episodes.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Dishonored - 9/10 Awesome game, finished with high chaos, blink + the one that turns kills to dust = too much fun. Putting this one in the replay pile

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3)

Yes, I'm about a year late, but it's not exactly easy to find PS3 games here in China. It was shipped to me in September.

There is a lot to love about the game; before I knew it, I had dropped 180 hours, many of them just spent walking around Skyrim and marveling at the scenery. There is also a ton of things to do...main quest getting boring? Do the Mages' College...Mages' College a little too short and unsatisfying for you? Pick up a few Thieves' Guild quests...you ran into the glitch after 'Loud and Clear' that breaks the Thieves Guild questline? Dark Brotherhood. The name of the game here is variety and customization.

However, there is a lot to dislike, especially if you like me happen to be an old-school RPG purist, raised on things like compelling characters and intuitive battles. When Sephiroth killed Aeris, or the battle with Lavos, or Kefka poisoning Doma? Nothing in this game carries anything resembling that degree of heft...what about the insanely creative elements-system from Chrono Cross or Star Ocean's cool RTB system? You want to kill things in Skyrim, just hit L1 and R1 and hope that you didn't just attack someone stronger than you.

Also, the world is so big, and there's so much to do, but how much of it is really just fetch-quest filler? How many quests in the game are 'go here, to this dungeon that looks like 98% of the rest of the game's dungeons, get this thing/kill this person, then return to me for money?'

And that's to say nothing of the glitches; they are EVERYWHERE and they **** everything up; with a save file of 22 MB, I'm basically reduced to rebooting my PS3 every 40 minutes because lag gets insane...and there are also a hell of a ton of quest (and questline, see: what I said about the Thieves' Guild quest above) breaking glitches; require an item for a quest, but you inadvertently had it in your inventory when you took the quest? Well...tough ****, you can't complete that quest...wait too long to talk to someone after one quest and now the other quest can't start? Well...tough **** again, that questline is dead until you can get back to the bullet-fast WiFi of Canada and download all of the necessary patches. And the patches! Ugh! They take at least two hours on my crappy WiFi, and instead of releasing an inferior product and then retroactively 'fixing' it with patch releases, why doesn't Bethesda just make sure that the product is up to par in the first place? Even if spamming the Oghma Infinium is good when you're tired of getting smacked by every Briarheart or Draugr Deathlord at level 46, it's one diamond on top of a big pile of ****.

I'm not saying the game isn't beautiful or fun; Skyrim is one of the best looking games I've ever played, and I don't just drop 180 hours into something just to do it, but the atrocious glitches, and the fact that much of the story is the RPG equivalent of throwing a bunch of crap at the wall to see what sticks, definitely takes what should have been an all-time great and drops it into an all-time good. I wouldn't say that all the hype for the game was unwarranted (a perfect version of Skyrim is one of the most important games ever, and even its current state is still damn important), but I'm not saying that said hype was delivered on, either.

Aside from a WiiU (after Zelda and Metroid are announced), I have no idea which console I plan to buy...but unless the next Elder Scrolls game runs like a dream (in other words, does something no other ES game has done in the past), I think I'll be passing on it. Still, almost 200 hours and some cool ****, but I have to assign two scores; one that the game should and could have received if it had 90% less problems, and one that it does receive because of the problems.

The score a perfectly-running (hell, I would have even taken a near-perfectly running) PS3 port of Skyrim gets: 9.6/10

The score that the poorly-running PS3 port of Skyrim gets: 7.8/10

Up next: A game I have little doubt will be far superior, Mass Effect 3.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Zodiac

The Walking Dead (pc)

9/10

might be the best zombie story i've ever experienced. loved the decisions that you had to make, and loved how they would affect the overall story line in different ways. kept me interested the whole way through, and i really started to feel protective and kinda care for the well being of certain characters in the game ...something that doesn't happen very often with video games ...for me at least. overall, this is some of the best interactive storytelling available, imo.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Witcher 2.

9/10

Great plot. Fun game play. Good graphics. Solid ending. I like how your decisions have a major, and noticeable, impact on the story line. I very rarely keep playing a game after I beat it, but I'm gonna go back and play out the storyline as Roche's ally. Easily one of the best sandbox games I've played. Better than Fallout 3 and GTA4, and as good or a notch below RDR.

Next up is Dishonored because I read good things on here.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
vippe

Played through this game a good amount of times the past weak. One of the better and funnier games for the NES

Old
01-13-2013, 06:21 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Just finished Uncharted 3 tonight.

I'll give it a 9.5/10. It was probably one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had.

01-17-2013, 04:06 AM
Zodiac

Viking: Battle for Asgard (pc)

7/10

the combat is nothing to write home about and missions get repetitive ...but i still kinda enjoyed freeing soldiers across the land, gaining territory, and summoning dragons to fight along side my armies in the final huge battles. it lacks some variety and polish, but it kept me interested enough to see it thru to the bitter end.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Just finished Uncharted 3 tonight.

I'll give it a 9.5/10. It was probably one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had.
If you are ever up for online Uncharted 3 give me a shout, freaking awesome.

Assassin's Creed 3: 7.9/10
A lot of glitches and man was it annoying to see how my first half was...let's say spoiled.

It was dragged on too and not as strong as other character, I did however enjoy the outside world mission.

01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
MayDay

Couple games recently completed:

Professor Layton and the Last Specter (DS): 8/10

Good one. Hate all the sliding block puzzles though. I suck at those.

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii): 8/10

Really tough platformer. Beat the last boss and completed the game, but haven't unlocked any of the hidden levels.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Unholy Diver

Dishonored 9/10

Loved the game, great atmosphere and feel, reminded me of when I first played bioshock, just had me totally immersed.

Unholy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
The Walking Dead [Xbox 360] : 9/10

Fantastic storyline and characters, many "HOLY ****" moments and a gutwrenching ending as well, This leaves a cliffhanger at the end of the credits as well, there could very well be a second installment coming, at least they made an opening for it anyways. The only thing that wasn't so great was the engine it was made on and the loading screens. The graphics we're unique, but at times they weren't great. And the loading screens at times took 2-3 minutes to start the episode.

Other than that, fantastic game.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Frankie Spankie

Puddle - 7/10

Pretty neat little physics based game where you have to move a puddle of a certain liquid to the exit. Each chapter has different liquids with their own characteristics to keep it fresh and it had some nice artwork. It wasn't ever really challenging outside of the last level IMO. It was pretty fun but in the end, it really wasn't anything all that special. The trailers did a good job at sucking me in though, I personally thought it looked a lot more fun in the trailers than it actually was.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

New Super Mario Bros U. 8/10 - Nothing really new here other than the squirrel suit which is alright. Graphics are a little shinier. It's a good game to play with your wife because she can just take over the tablet and build platforms for you to jump on or help with the enemies in different ways. Working on unlocking everything now...seems I'll have plenty of time with the lack of games for this system.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Frankie Spankie

The Witcher - 9/10

Awesome RPG, glad I finally came around to playing it after all the great things I've heard. The story was amazing all the way through and I love the way it turned out with all of the decisions I've made. I see why people may have complained about chapters 2 & 3 being grindfests but if that's a grind fest I was fine because it seemed like the rest of the game flew by. Chapters 4, 5, and the epilogue and lasted me about as long as any of the first three chapters. The battle system was a little iffy and too simplistic at times but I still liked it. Not sure if it was just me but I had some weird graphical issues towards the end of the game especially but I don't really mind too much, I'm not a graphics *****. The only complaint from me is how confusing it can be, particularly early. I hate these pointless tutorials in every game but this game kind of threw you in and expected you to figure everything out. It just doesn't work too well with a game as complex as The Witcher IMO. It took me 40 hours to beat while completing 90%~ of the side quests according to my Steam account but probably 2-4 hours of that was just trying to figure out how certain aspects of the game works. Still, awesome, awesome game and recommend it to anyone that loves RPGs! Not bad for a game that cost me $2.49!!