HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Pick up Mark Fistric from Stars for 3rd round pick

Old
01-16-2013, 01:08 AM
Daneo21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
The Nino and Weber hits are my fave, just devastating.
I like his hit on Lander

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:36 AM
Chooch

An overpayment but whatever.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:12 AM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
Ya I think they should have included Benn in the deal to even it out a little.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:39 AM
CorpseFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
An overpayment but whatever.
overpayment? whats the % of 3rd round picks do anything in the NHL?

Gregor's 96-05 draft analysis:

Quote:
THIRD ROUND (307 picks)

2 became dominant players. (0.6%)
47 turned into decent NHLers. (15.2)
259 were short lived or busts. (84.2)

- http://oilersnation.com/2011/2/25/va...ng-draft-picks
roll some dice... you have a 15% chance of the pick being anything... or you get an already established player who can PK, block shots, be a top hitter in the league... no idea how that is an overpay vs. a 15% chance. even your boy Stephen Hawking would agree the trade is fine.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:49 AM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

I think we're all just getting antsy for some hockey action and are being belligerent with each other just for the sake of complaining.

It'll all get better once the season begins and we focus our hate and aggravation on the Nucks and Lames again.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:56 AM
Bryanbryoil

Not sure why we'd see Potter in the top 6 unless Tambo plans on moving Whitney soon. I don't mind Potter as the 7D or even carrying 8D when Peckham gets healthy, but Potter isn't a top 6 d-man on a playoff team IMO.

01-16-2013, 04:37 AM
Bryanbryoil

More Fistric:

Check out the closeup of the hit that started the fight at the end of the 1st video.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:42 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe in Oil View Post
They traded away a 3rd rounder for this guy, and he's a 7th defenseman behind Potter? Someone please explain this!!
(heard on TSN)
Smid-Petry
Schultzy-Schouler
Whitney-Potter
Fistric

Hmm...
this is one of those trades where we need to look at the bigger picture

also--Potter will see more press box time then Fistic

Oiler have lots and lots of guys coming up, are cupboard for the first time in 20 years if full of players who have lots of skill, but most are lacking grit

This reminds me of the Jason Smith deal a decade ago.

Here are the oilers who are under 25

C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 19
C Tyler Pitlick 20
C Anton Lander 21
C Sam Gagner 22
C Mark Arcobello 24
D David Musil 19
D Oscar Klefbom 19
D Martin Marincin 20
D Colten Teubert 22
D Justin Schultz 22
D Nathan Deck 22
D Alex Plante 23
D Jeff Petry 23
D Theo Peckham 23
D Kane Lafranchise 24
D Taylor Fedun 24
G Olivier Roy 21
LW Mitch Morez 18
LW Kristians Pelss 19
LW Curtis Hamilton 20
LW Ryan Martindale 20
LW Taylor Hall 20
LW Brandon Davidson 21
LW Philippe Cornet 22
LW Teemu Hartikainen 22
RW Neil Yakupov 18
RW Cameron Abney 21
RW Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson 21
RW Toni Rajala 21
RW Jordan Eberle 22
RW Antti Tyrvainen 23

While not all these guys will be NHLers--many of them are top 6 fw and top 4 d-men if they pan out.

Fristic is perfect--26 years old, grit and he knows his role--5 -6 d

The key to me is the fact he tosses hos body around and that is something the oilers have been missing on the back end

Oilers have 8 d-men under 25

D David Musil 19
D Oscar Klefbom 19
D Martin Marincin 20
D Colten Teubert 22
D Justin Schultz 22
D Jeff Petry 23
D Theo Peckham 23
D Taylor Fedun 24

Musil, Klefbom and Maricin are between 2 to 4 years away
Teubert is developing, slowly and could make the team next year
Petry and Schultz could be a deadly part of our top 4 for years
Smid is only 26.
If Fistric plays the way he has played previously. He tossed 235 hits last year and previously he tossed 170+ year after year. Oilers do not have that on their team right now---they do now

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
The hell is Schouler...

Anyways I'm sure they'll realize during the first game that Fistric is necessary.
Rishaug talked about this, but he said Gagner thinks they can do better. They are just waiting for Schultz to do something stupid.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I love how Son of Boris has mostly legitimate hits.
Doesn't use the head as a target point, just likes to drop people in their tracks by either pushing them down or smashing their chest.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
I love how Son of Boris has mostly legitimate hits.
Doesn't use the head as a target point, just likes to drop people in their tracks by either pushing them down or smashing their chest.
He likes to leave his feet though, that could get him in trouble.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:42 AM
Gregsky99

I'm projecting 300 hits for first in the NHL this year by Fitric

Gregsky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:11 AM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
Like everyone else I really like this move. A big strong shutdown D man, that will fit our 3rd line perfectly.

DethOfDragnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:07 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsky99 View Post
300 hits in 48 games? Wow, now that's wishful thinking. At any rate, i love, love, love this trade...like others have said on here, he reminds me of Gator, he's a warrior that isnt afraid to back up a big hit with some fisticuffs, or should i say Fistricuffs.

Where he will be even more invaluable IMO is in the playoffs, he's the type of player that you can go to war with. And yes, i believe we will take that step this year, i compare this team with the NJD when they broke out in the lockout year, Brodeur and Neidermayer were both still young and only in the league for a couple years at the time and even though people wanted to put an asterisk beside their cup, there is no doubt that that year was the beginning of that team turning the corner into becoming a perennial contender, after they won their 1st cup, they had the confidence going forward from there, i see the same thing with this group, with Dooby being the one big question mark for me right now for me.

And no, i'm not saying we will win it all this year, just get the feeling that this team will take the next step, Ralph seems like the right coach to take them there, very well spoken and intelligent, you can just tell when you see him do a presser that he has something in his personality that makes the players want to go to the wall for him.

Last edited by TimeForAnOilChange: 01-17-2013 at 07:18 AM.
TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:22 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsky99 View Post
150 at most for half a season.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:14 PM
OilerTyler
Still Here...

I can't imagine Fistric re-signing with us at the end of the season when Krueger doesn't want to play him. Especially when he is sitting out in favour of a player who the majority of people think is an inferior player.

Fistric is going to leave to play on a team that will use him, just like the Stars did last year on their defensively superior team. If he could crack that lineup, why doesn't Krueger think he is good enough to crack ours? All of the experts on TSN and Sportsnet thought it was a given that he would be Whitney's partner. What's the deal?

It's a shame, I thought we got a player who could anchor our bottom pairing for maybe the next 10 years. But instead it looks like we wasted a third round pick on a seventh defenceman who will barely play and leave at the end of the year. We could've picked up a defenceman (like Vandermeer) off of waivers if we wanted a one year rental.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:18 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

One game.

He has say out a total of one game so far. He was a healthy scratch for a number of games in Dallas last year as well. He's a 6/7 defenseman and not playing every game comes with the territory.

Even though it's a short season, there's still lots of hockey to be played and he'll get a chance soon enough. Him not wanting to re-sign next year isn't something we should be worrying about at this stage of the game. If he gets pissy about not playing to the point that he'd be unwilling to stay past this year, then he's not a player I'd want in the first place.

01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I can't imagine Fistric re-signing with us at the end of the season when Krueger doesn't want to play him. Especially when he is sitting out in favour of a player who the majority of people think is an inferior player.

Fistric is going to leave to play on a team that will use him, just like the Stars did last year on their defensively superior team. If he could crack that lineup, why doesn't Krueger think he is good enough to crack ours? All of the experts on TSN and Sportsnet thought it was a given that he would be Whitney's partner. What's the deal?

It's a shame, I thought we got a player who could anchor our bottom pairing for maybe the next 10 years. But instead it looks like we wasted a third round pick on a seventh defenceman who will barely play and leave at the end of the year. We could've picked up a defenceman (like Vandermeer) off of waivers if we wanted a one year rental.
premature IMO..
It would be valid if we bench him in game # 41-48 ..
By the end of the season Fistric would not care if he was benched the first 5 games in EDM.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:28 PM
OilerTyler
Still Here...

Fistric is a 6th or 7th defenceman on your regular NHL team, but on this one he is easily a 6th, maybe a 5th (although I agree with giving Whitney a chance to redeem himself this year).

I haven't talked to one person in real life who thinks Potter should be starting over Fistric and I know the vast majority of people on here think the same thing.

Why would he want to play in an organization that sits him out when he is clearly the best option for 6th defenceman? He deserves better than to be sitting out in favour of an inferior player that has been crapping the bed for over a year at the NHL level.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:38 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Was it really necessary to bump this topic for more Potter hate?

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
A Neverending Cycle

vCash: 499
Quote:
Fistric is a 6th or 7th defenceman on your regular NHL team, but on this one he is easily a 6th, maybe a 5th (although I agree with giving Whitney a chance to redeem himself this year).

I haven't talked to one person in real life who thinks Potter should be starting over Fistric and I know the vast majority of people on here think the same thing.

Why would he want to play in an organization that sits him out when he is clearly the best option for 6th defenceman? He deserves better than to be sitting out in favour of an inferior player that has been crapping the bed for over a year at the NHL level.
Your Potter hate schtick isngetting old. We get it, you hate Potter...no need to ***** endlessly about it.

Also, it's one game...

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:

That's a point that's definitely up for debate (and I'm among those who think Fistric should be in the lineup).

And Kreuger has already addressed this in his pregame interview Sunday. He believes in Potter and is in no rush to push Fistric into the lineup if he doesn't have to.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:46 PM
awesomo
HARD!

RK told Rishaug that Potter came into camp in incredible shape and so wants to give Fistric a week or so to settle in while giving Potter a shot that he deserves.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:53 PM
OilerTyler
Still Here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
That's a point that's definitely up for debate (and I'm among those who think Fistric should be in the lineup).

And Kreuger has already addressed this in his pregame interview Sunday. He believes in Potter and is in no rush to push Fistric into the lineup if he doesn't have to.
The thing is, he does have to. This is a shortened season. We need our team to be the best it can be every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Your Potter hate schtick isngetting old. We get it, you hate Potter...no need to ***** endlessly about it.

Also, it's one game...
I'd be saying the same things if Peckham was in the lineup over Fistric. I want to see the Oilers ice the best team that they can with the personnel available. They don't seem to want to do that though.

It's one game right now. It'll be two games tonight. How many minutes if Fistric going to lose out on this season because he is further down the depth chart than he should be?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:54 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

The thing with Potter is he's got some size, is a decent skater and can man the PP in a pinch. Early last season he played good minutes and put up some points on the power play. I am not saying he's necessarily a better option than Fistric at this point, but if the coaching staff believes he has not peaked yet, I could see why they would give him opportunities. If Potter settles into his role on the bottom pairing, he could be a serviceable and cheap replacement for Whitney next year, while they go hunting for a real top 4 guy in free agency.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote