HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Anaheim 06-07

Old
01-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Merya
Finland u20 Champion

vCash: 500
Anaheim 06-07

I've been thinking about this alot. Is the Anaheim 2006/7 Stanley Cup win one of the most memorable ones in recent history? The whole season they played really like old goon teams, and they continued it in the playoffs. The WCF against Detroit was one of the best series I've ever seen. And there are so many heroic tales to tell. From Bryz stunting for Giguere, the young guns doing damage, Selänne's most important goal in Ducks history, Påhlson line, Pronger suspension, Alfredson flipping the puck at Scott Niedermayer's neck, Brothers winning the cup, Pronger winning the cup, Teemu winning the cup, California getting the cup, etc.
I can't think of a more storied (recent) playoffs. Altho The Boston cup was more nailbiting. Just don't think there were so many storylines in it. Boston cup was all about Tim Thomas underdog story, which in itself is pretty damn awesome as well.

Merya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:57 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
The 2011 also had the "Win it for Horton" thing going. As soon as Horton went down in game 3, it was looking like it was going to be a sweep for Vancouver. 2007 was definitely something though.

Best playoff story line was Detroit and Pittsburgh rematch in 2009, imo.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Merya
Finland u20 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
The 2011 also had the "Win it for Horton" thing going. As soon as Horton went down in game 3, it was looking like it was going to be a sweep for Vancouver. 2007 was definitely something though.

Best playoff story line was Detroit and Pittsburgh rematch in 2009, imo.
Probably my bias, but I didn't find either 08 or 09 very engaging. I mean I had a too good hunch who would win. 07 ducks, I only believed in victory after Detroit (still at full power) was cleared. That for me was climactic. Too bad the finals weren't so great, especially after the Alfredson idiocy.

Merya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Big Phil

The 2007 Cup final wasn't all that memorable but I agree the 2007 were a memorable team. They won the Cup using a system that I personally only think the 1970s Flyers employed better. They were a team that mixed talent and toughness as good as anybody. They had their defense with Niedermayer and Pronger, they had a capable enough goalie with Giguere, they had a solid and deep forward core (Selanne, McDonald, Kunitz, young Getzlaf, young Perry) and then several players that could and would drop the gloves yet still contributed (Parros, Shawn Thornton, Moen, May). Not to mention some capable defensive forwards in Pahlsson and Marchant.

This was a very well built team and it's a shame they didn't do more damage in the NHL. That whole "retirement" thing from Niedermayer following 2007 was just bad taste and it seemed to throw the whole team off in which it never recovered again. But this team was mean, it was tough and they have up to 5 HHOFers on this team (Selanne, Niedermayer, Pronger, Getzlaf, Perry).

This team also made a pretty big impact on the NHL. After seeing what Anaheim did in 2007 several teams beefed up and fighting actually went up in 2007-'08.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Luc Gretzky

While it was beyond nauseating to see the Ducks grind their way to the Cup when it happened, as a fan of hockey they were a great team to watch. It's funny how similarly the King 2012 team style of play was to the 2007 Ducks--although the Ducks were a much more veteran-ly driven team.

Luc Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote