HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVIII - "Watch out for that Tree"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 03:18 PM
  #626
Slashers98
Registered User
 
Slashers98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well thank you Slashers.... from one writer to another, you might be interested to learn my last book was featured on Amazon.com. However, you know how when you order from them on-line and they then give you those pop-ups' with "you might also be interested in" with titles of a similar genre?... well, much to my horror I discovered buyers of my work received a pop-up with pictures that said "you might also be interested in this collapsible stool and spool of rope to go with Killions' book". You really have to keep an eye on this sort of thing, who uses what youve written & said, could take it right out of context.
haha send my the title in private and I will gladly buy your book!

Slashers98 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 03:28 PM
  #627
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
Nope. I was there in section 105. There were a lot of Hawks fans and they were loud, but not as many as there were fans in Coyotes gear cheering the Coyotes. Where people get confused is the Hawks fans had more opportunities to cheer, and of course, some people want it to be true. There were plenty of Black Hawks fans there, but in no way shape or form did they outnumber the people wearing Coyotes gear rooting for the Coyotes.

But it makes a nice story for some folks to put out there. Besides they can always say even 5% opponents fans is way too many for a *cough* real hockey market. Shape the fallacy whichever way suits the argument.

We're a melting pot, be it Yotes, Dbacks, Suns or Cardinals. There are always a lot of opposing team fans present, but they have never outnumbered us, except perhaps when the Cards played at Sun Devil Stadium against the Raiders and got 45,000 to attend and about 60% of them were Raiders fans.

Our issues are aplenty - but too many visiting fans isn't one of them. And I say that as a season ticket holder.

If there is a hockey game, I tend to go to it. If I lived and worked in Canada I'd probably have more friends with that interest in common. Out here, Coyotes fans are the contrarians, and the Rodney Dangerfields of HFboards, getting no respect for our interest in the sport, from the carrion circling overhead just foaming at the mouth to pluck our team for their own nest...
Likely over exaggerated from the sources, no biggie. Glad to see you supporting the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
I am very sure you are trolling. Your statement cannot be further from the truth. But you will only listen to people who support your biased opinion.

I was there. Your 'sources' were obviously not.

But I'm sure our rally won't be as large as your 5000 WPG person rally but I'm sure you won't be impressed anyways.
YAWN. Your arguments are getting old, we get it you don't like us but for reasons unbeknownst to you, that you don't agree with rationalization.

Don't be mad that a "Save the Jets" rally attracted 25-30,000 whereas the "Save the Yotes" rally only attracted 215. No I won't be impressed until your rink has 12,000+ per game at double / triple the current prices. The fans in attendance was never the problem, the problem remains the set value for the product.

It sounds like you are green with envy, nothing more.

ajmidd12 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 03:41 PM
  #628
Ugmo
Registered User
 
Ugmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,842
vCash: 500
All I have to go by is the highlights at NHL.com, but the crowd noise after the Coyotes' goals seemed about 4 times as loud as after the Hawks' goals.

Ugmo is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
  #629
superdeluxe
Seattle Kraken
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
yeah, that's 3 years from now
Yes it is

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 05:27 PM
  #630
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
If Jamison had the money lined up, is there any good reason to delay the announcement?
The lease is done.... Not an issue.

The NHL has had the price for the team set for 3 years, so there should be no surprises for Jamison... So not an issue.

The only reason for this being delayed is that Jamison doesn't have the money all lined up yet. Now, he may even have the money to actually buy the team, but maybe he is struggling to get some working capital for the next 4-5 years until he starts raking it in. You just don't plunk $170M down to buy a team with zero dollars in the bank after the purchase.

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 05:39 PM
  #631
YEMELIN74
Registered User
 
YEMELIN74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lévis
Country: Iceland
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
The lease is done.... Not an issue.

The NHL has had the price for the team set for 3 years, so there should be no surprises for Jamison... So not an issue.

The only reason for this being delayed is that Jamison doesn't have the money all lined up yet. Now, he may even have the money to actually buy the team, but maybe he is struggling to get some working capital for the next 4-5 years until he starts raking it in. You just don't plunk $170M down to buy a team with zero dollars in the bank after the purchase.
I agree with you he probably has the money but not enough money to pay the players and everything else.

YEMELIN74 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 05:48 PM
  #632
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Probably not quite an even split, I've heard from more than one source that there were quite a few Chicago fans there, far more than Phoenix fans anyways.
Not even remotely close to true, and that you would repeat this clearly shows you are not interested in honest conversation about the Coyotes. It does not surprise me that some would fabricate outright lies to make themselves feel better about the situation. There's already enough damning evidence against the Coyotes that is a matter of record. You don't need to go making **** up.

Here's a picture from my phone. Count the overt Hawk fans


XX is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 05:56 PM
  #633
TheLegend
43rd TankBuster Wing
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting HFBoards
Country: United States
Posts: 4,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Well, yesterday was a bit of a relief. Now back to attendance pissing and bloggers arguing over who's the tallest midget.
Just like I called it a couple days ago, CF.

Gonna parlay that winning call and say it'll get worse right after the C-Bus game Wednesday.

TheLegend is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:03 PM
  #634
TheLegend
43rd TankBuster Wing
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting HFBoards
Country: United States
Posts: 4,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Likely over exaggerated from the sources, no biggie. Glad to see you supporting the team
Yet you made it a "biggie" bringing it up in the thread, no?

Quote:
YAWN. Your arguments are getting old, we get it you don't like us but for reasons unbeknownst to you, that you don't agree with rationalization.

Don't be mad that a "Save the Jets" rally attracted 25-30,000 whereas the "Save the Yotes" rally only attracted 215. No I won't be impressed until your rink has 12,000+ per game at double / triple the current prices. The fans in attendance was never the problem, the problem remains the set value for the product.

It sounds like you are green with envy, nothing more.
ALL the arguments here have become old. I can go back 30 threads and read the same old rhetoric. It's become a pissing match like CF stated.

BTW...... it doesn't matter how many people showed up for a rally. Neither one resulted in changing the situation..... nor would they ever have changed. Their are forces in play here that go beyond any of our "expert" opinions.

TheLegend is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:07 PM
  #635
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Not even remotely close to true, and that you would repeat this clearly shows you are not interested in honest conversation about the Coyotes. It does not surprise me that some would fabricate outright lies to make themselves feel better about the situation. There's already enough damning evidence against the Coyotes that is a matter of record. You don't need to go making **** up.

Here's a picture from my phone. Count the overt Hawk fans

What did you not understand about "I heard this from numerous sources" I didn't claim it to be 100% true, nor did I witness it with my own eyes, I was not there, though the past track record has deemed it to be plausible, so I accepted it as accurate.

Relax guy.

If you want to have an honest conversation about the Coyotes I'm sure we would all be glad too, but yourself and NHL are two superfans who refuse to pay attention to anything remotely considered fact. IE the financial struggles.

TheLegend is one of the few who have had any common sense and accepted the facts.

ajmidd12 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
  #636
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
What did you not understand about "I heard this from numerous sources" I didn't claim it to be 100% true, nor did I witness it with my own eyes, I was not there, though the past track record has deemed it to be plausible, so I accepted it as accurate.

Relax guy.

If you want to have an honest conversation about the Coyotes I'm sure we would all be glad too, but yourself and NHL are two superfans who refuse to pay attention to anything remotely considered fact. IE the financial struggles.

TheLegend is one of the few who have had any common sense and accepted the facts.
I watched the game on TSN from the NBC broadcast. For what it's worth the commentators commmented that there were many hawks fans in attendance at jobing.com.

It has no bearing on what happens. This is a soft market, period. The evidence is the lack of people willing to purchase the team after several years.

Where is GJ? vacation?

blues10 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
  #637
Giglio NYR15
Section 417
 
Giglio NYR15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,528
vCash: 500
From just observing this situation, I feel like deadlines just keep getting extended. If the deal was done and money was lined up, it would have been done, its that simple. Personally I feel like January 31st is going to come and go, and another extension will be handed out, which is such a freaking joke. It annoys me so much about how muchI have to go through and pay for my rangers season tickets, and how my friends have to struggle and wait around for lotterys just to get tickets that cost a crapload. Then you have areas like this can get in for 10 bucks....while were paying 300 bucks a seat in the last row for conference finals tickets, people are paying 50, its nauseating.

I get there are people that love hockey and enjoy it, but its teams like this that are the reason we had this crappy lockout, bettman trying to protect them, and fans like me get screwed. If youre that much of a hockey fan, then you watched and liked before the coyotes and you probably would after. This team needs to be moved to seattle or quebec city and I really hope it happens soon. And im not singling you out coyotes fans and supporters because I think whatever city doesnt get the coyotes should get the panthers because they are just as bad.

Giglio NYR15 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:27 PM
  #638
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
I didn't claim it to be 100% true, nor did I witness it with my own eyes, I was not there, though the past track record has deemed it to be plausible, so I accepted it as accurate.
You are responsible for what you write. A far as 'track record' goes, there is none. The biggest draw is the Red Wings and even they don't outnumber Coyote fans. In the past, throwing crap like this up as a ways to agitate other fans was considered trolling. I'll have to remember to hide behind the "I heard it from someone else" shield next time I want to post something that has no basis in reality.

XX is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:51 PM
  #639
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman
 
Acesolid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
From just observing this situation, I feel like deadlines just keep getting extended. If the deal was done and money was lined up, it would have been done, its that simple. Personally I feel like January 31st is going to come and go, and another extension will be handed out, which is such a freaking joke. It annoys me so much about how muchI have to go through and pay for my rangers season tickets, and how my friends have to struggle and wait around for lotterys just to get tickets that cost a crapload. Then you have areas like this can get in for 10 bucks....while were paying 300 bucks a seat in the last row for conference finals tickets, people are paying 50, its nauseating.

I get there are people that love hockey and enjoy it, but its teams like this that are the reason we had this crappy lockout, bettman trying to protect them, and fans like me get screwed. If youre that much of a hockey fan, then you watched and liked before the coyotes and you probably would after. This team needs to be moved to seattle or quebec city and I really hope it happens soon. And im not singling you out coyotes fans and supporters because I think whatever city doesnt get the coyotes should get the panthers because they are just as bad.


But there's one BIG difference now. The new city council appears to be against a deal that ends out a bazillion dollars to a new owner. And that I think will be enough of an excuse for the NHL to agree to relocate the team finally and end the 5 years long agony of the Yotes.

Acesolid is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 09:00 PM
  #640
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
You are responsible for what you write. A far as 'track record' goes, there is none. The biggest draw is the Red Wings and even they don't outnumber Coyote fans. In the past, throwing crap like this up as a ways to agitate other fans was considered trolling. I'll have to remember to hide behind the "I heard it from someone else" shield next time I want to post something that has no basis in reality.
I do remember in the council meeting before the 2nd $25 million was approved someone who was speaking in the citizen comments that during the most recent Hawks game saying there were more Hawks fans than Yotes fans. Of course it was during spring training and that was 2011.

Now I didn't watch the game the other night closely but the Hawks fans did seem louder.

aqib is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 09:54 PM
  #641
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
From just observing this situation, I feel like deadlines just keep getting extended. If the deal was done and money was lined up, it would have been done, its that simple. Personally I feel like January 31st is going to come and go, and another extension will be handed out, which is such a freaking joke. It annoys me so much about how muchI have to go through and pay for my rangers season tickets, and how my friends have to struggle and wait around for lotterys just to get tickets that cost a crapload. Then you have areas like this can get in for 10 bucks....while were paying 300 bucks a seat in the last row for conference finals tickets, people are paying 50, its nauseating.

I get there are people that love hockey and enjoy it, but its teams like this that are the reason we had this crappy lockout, bettman trying to protect them, and fans like me get screwed. If youre that much of a hockey fan, then you watched and liked before the coyotes and you probably would after. This team needs to be moved to seattle or quebec city and I really hope it happens soon. And im not singling you out coyotes fans and supporters because I think whatever city doesnt get the coyotes should get the panthers because they are just as bad.
I see. So, are there any other elementary principles of economics that are annoying you? Or is it just supply/demand?


Last edited by CasualFan: 01-22-2013 at 09:59 PM.
CasualFan is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
  #642
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,995
vCash: 500
There were far more Coyote fans than Blackhawk fans. Part of the reason that the Hawks fans are visible is that they buy up the lower bowl seats, especially on the east side of the arena. They are caught by the TV cameras. I spent a period upstairs and there were only a handful of Hawk fans there. Of all the Coyote/Hawk regular season games I've been to in the last 6-7 years, it wss the largest Coyote crowd. Very similar to playoffs.

bobbop is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
  #643
superdeluxe
Seattle Kraken
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tukwila, Bellevue
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
The work is slowed down during winter, but not stopped, but yes that can be justification in part. I doubt that can explain almost a full year difference on overall project. I mean from the news I know, there is still Port issues and what not in Seattle. I am not saying it won't be done.
There are some lawsuits, but they are just noise. Once the EIS is completed the shovel can enter the ground. Once that happens it will be a 18-19 month job.


Quote:
So your workers are definitely working faster than ours...I suspect the union, they're pretty strong in Quebec.
I guess. Washington is pretty strong with unions as well, perhaps different regulations in Quebec? I know for road projects, there are bonuses if they finish a project early

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
  #644
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,350
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
I watched the game on TSN from the NBC broadcast. For what it's worth the commentators commmented that there were many hawks fans in attendance at jobing.com.

It has no bearing on what happens. This is a soft market, period. The evidence is the lack of people willing to purchase the team after several years.

Where is GJ? vacation?
C'mon blues, we both know gramps Jamison and the missus are on a cruise somewhere in the South China Sea, being as well prepared as he is you just know old gramps has a stack of EB-5 green cards at the ready for potential investors.

sipowicz is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:14 PM
  #645
Blue Warriors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
There are some lawsuits, but they are just noise. Once the EIS is completed the shovel can enter the ground. Once that happens it will be a 18-19 month job.




I guess. Washington is pretty strong with unions as well, perhaps different regulations in Quebec? I know for road projects, there are bonuses if they finish a project early
I believe there's no night work for the Quebec arena, the city didn't want to pay more wages. What about Seattle? That could explain the time difference.

Blue Warriors is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:24 PM
  #646
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
C'mon blues, we both know gramps Jamison and the missus are on a cruise somewhere in the South China Sea, being as well prepared as he is you just know old gramps has a stack of EB-5 green cards at the ready for potential investors.
I was hoping to see an eclectic bunch in the owners box the other night. GJ, the Arab contigent from Abu Dhabi, the Chinese and Russian contigent with the Big Chief and council from the TO. Oh yeah and the Ice Edge boys along for the ride.

Quite the investment GJ has been peddling.

So disapointing. I am sure they'll all be at the Blue Jackets game.



IF GJ and the JSG can't close by the 31st this will be the end of this ludicrous ride.

blues10 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:27 PM
  #647
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Is that officially confirmed ?

I wanna know because if that is the case, I want Mayor Labaume to go to Seattle and hire ALL YOUR CONTRACTORS RIGHT EFFIN NAO !

Our arena is under construction for about 6 months now and is planned to open in September 2015.

If what you say is true, while I do not know the date of the first shovel in Seattle (but know it's not done yet) I wonder how you guys can build it in less time (read one year less).
They are using full sized shovels in Seattle not the little hand shovels. you get more done that way

aqib is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:31 PM
  #648
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post

IF GJ and the JSG can't close by the 31st this will be the end of this ludicrous ride.
Au contre! They will fake it for a few months unless the new mayor says "The NHL can kiss my arse" which he has no incentive to do until the Coyotes season is over we will have a lot more rumors and spin.

aqib is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
  #649
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Au contre! They will fake it for a few months unless the new mayor says "The NHL can kiss my arse" which he has no incentive to do until the Coyotes season is over we will have a lot more rumors and spin.
Of course they will. It will be silent.

I expect for the COG's silence on the matter the NHL will work out that payment plan for the outstanding money owed to them.

Once the NHL is eating all the losses this will be over.

Where the leaks will come is from whoever is circling the team like a vulture to make a purchase.

There is still time to get a deal done.

I do like the creative marketing plan by the Coyotes. That targets the next generation of fans.

Quote:


Once again, the Coyotes will be offering Student Rush nights for all Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night games this season (10 in total). Students can line up one hour prior to the puck drop to purchase the best available ticket for just $25. This offer applies only to active Students with identification.
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

blues10 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 11:19 PM
  #650
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed
 
Evil Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cambridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
But there's one BIG difference now. The new city council appears to be against a deal that ends out a bazillion dollars to a new owner. And that I think will be enough of an excuse for the NHL to agree to relocate the team finally and end the 5 years long agony of the Yotes.
A little over a year ago I said this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
It's funny, they always say time is running out, but come midnight ..., the hourglass always gets turned over...
...but this feels different. One gets the feeling that once the last grain of sand drops to the bottom, that's it. No more reprieves, no more second chances, no improbable white knights charging in at the last minute.

It's still possible that Bettman will once again activate the improbability drive and some sort of weird event will delay things and keep these threads going, but I feel the real countdown has begun in earnest...

Evil Doctor is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.