HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goodenow's Ghost of Christmas Future

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2003, 09:14 AM
GorillazXL

vCash: 500
Goodenow's Ghost of Christmas Future

When Goodenow woke he had seen the harbinger of things to come...

The Comrie vs Lowe/Oilers situation is a good indicator of fans reaction towards the state of the game. When the CBA is due next September the NHLPA should realize that they will get little support from the fans if they want to strike for a year. The general concensus from fans other then those who are misinformed or ingnorant to understand the Comrie situation was not a cash grab; is that what Lowe asked for was unusal but fair. If a player can use the collective bargaining agreement settle contracts, and get raises what leverage does teams and fans have other then pay more money to keep players from leaving?

Bob Goodenow are you observing, fans are simply fed up with supporting players who forget they are already getting paid extremely good money for playing a sport they love.

ps Sorry for the title, just finish decorating the tree (finally), and couldn't help it.

GXL

Old
12-13-2003, 09:29 AM
gretzky2kurri

Nice observation.

We need other GMs stepping forward too.

There's never a shortage of "phantom" GMs to praise Lowe for the "cause", but what are THEY contributing? If they are not going to do it in their business operations as much, at least they could be more public about their opinions. I know Sather and another GM who escapes me has.

Lowe seems to be the GM leading the charge. He needs to know whose onboard. The fans need to know too. This "stand" is going to need more momentum.

Old
12-13-2003, 02:13 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Nice observation.

There's never a shortage of "phantom" GMs to praise Lowe for the "cause", but what are THEY contributing? If they are not going to do it in their business operations as much, at least they could be more public about their opinions. I know Sather and another GM who escapes me has.

Lowe seems to be the GM leading the charge. He needs to know whose onboard. The fans need to know too. This "stand" is going to need more momentum.
The fans are ready for change. Thanks to increased player movement and salaries, fans have been conditioned to cheer for the teams, and not the players on those teams.

Ten years ago, the league was dominated by players like Gretzky's Kings, Patrick Roy's Canadiens, Lemieux's Penguins, etc. Now, it seems that the fans have shifted to cheering for the teams, not the individual players on those teams.

Thoughts?

Old
12-13-2003, 05:48 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor
The fans are ready for change. Thanks to increased player movement and salaries, fans have been conditioned to cheer for the teams, and not the players on those teams.

Ten years ago, the league was dominated by players like Gretzky's Kings, Patrick Roy's Canadiens, Lemieux's Penguins, etc. Now, it seems that the fans have shifted to cheering for the teams, not the individual players on those teams.

Thoughts?
good observation. with the current rate of player movement, very few teams can maintain their core for long periods (detroit, colorado).

Having a favorite player traded is no longer the shock it used to be.

Along the lines of : "I cheered for you, but you are now on the other side. Goodluck in the future. But if you happen to play against my team, I hope an early 1st period elbow can keep you out most of the game."

Old
12-13-2003, 06:59 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Nice observation.

Unfortunately none...

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if this had happened 5 or 6 years ago (yeah, I know Lowe wasn't a GM).

GMs around the league can praise Lowe as much as they want, but it is pretty meaningless. I mean, it has taken 10 years for a GM to finally take charge in this whole debacle, and it is almost too little too late.

Whatever changes are made in this CBA, damage has already been done. Two Canadian teams have been lost, 2 are struggling to survive. There is a 30 team league with maybe 8 that you can call successful and competetive.

And to think, all this could have been prevented had some GMs refused to bend over, and get a nice shiny easton right up the backside.

Old
12-13-2003, 07:44 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

good analogy dawgbone. dont get me wrong i have always been and will always be a staunch oilers fan, however things have to change in the next cba in order for me to continue following the nhl, needless to say the oilers as well. im sick and tired year after year the oilers(not the only team in the nhl) have to trade guys once they reach their prime(30) because teams are more than willing to overpay for their services. now as much as i am on the leagues,owners,and the gms side they started this mess and for me the first real salvo fired by lowe seems to be an indication that maybe things will change.

Old
12-13-2003, 08:15 PM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor

Thoughts?
Definitely agree - was thinking the same thing recently with the whole Comrie deal. We've learned painful lessons here in Edmonton since the Glory Days (tm) that players come and go, and you can't maintain loyalty to the player for very long and still be an Oilers fan. Especially initially - so we get 'homecomings' like Weight's where he gets booed his first game back. And perhaps players who hold out (thus hurting The Team) are regarded the same way, as 'traitors' who immediately deserve our full displeasure. Not much else fans can do but voice their pleasure or complaints anyway...witness my nearly-1500 posts in here!!!

But in the end, no one player is 'above the team' - we can't afford that here. Comrie shouldn't be surprised at all, since he knows what the city and team has gone through the past number of years.

This is also what baffles me about coverage like Brownlee's and Jones' - if you're not 'for us', you're 'agin us', and Comrie's not 'for us' these days.

"hate" (or intense dislike?) becomes a defensive reaction, to protect us when the player moves on...then we can say "Good riddance, I never liked that dirty so-and-so" instead of "AAAUGH! Another one of my favorite players is gone!"

Well, enough theorizing for now...

Bart

Closed Thread