HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Lightning. 1.19.13. 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Lightning lost to Islanders. Their season is now over.
Relocated to Mexica? Or KHL?

Old
01-21-2013, 05:48 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Toronto fans plan their Cup parade every year they have a hot start?

I know that leaf fans are passionate, but that too, is but a very small group, if any.

Leaf fans are pretty much where many Caps fans are these days, which is why they were calling for their GM's head, and they got it.

Hat's off to the leaf's owners, whose want to win exceeds the fact that their games are well attended.
how long since the leafs made the playoffs much less had a reasonable shot at success in the playoffs. the caps have failed in the playoffs for certain, but they have had a reasonable shot each season and have gone game 7 in the second round twice.

equating the leafs missing the playoffs every season and the caps choking or failing in the 2nd round of the playoffs are not remotely the same thing. how have the pens done since their cup? is shero on the hot seat?

Old
01-21-2013, 06:08 PM
G3 LesPaul

Fire Torts and Peter L. They are both 0-2

Trade Nash for a 7th rounder. Clearly garbage.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:05 PM
thejester

Quote:
Toronto fans plan their Cup parade every year they have a hot start?

I know that leaf fans are passionate, but that too, is but a very small group, if any.

Leaf fans are pretty much where many Caps fans are these days, which is why they were calling for their GM's head, and they got it.

Hat's off to the leaf's owners, whose want to win exceeds the fact that their games are well attended.
You're kidding, right? Burke got fired because he managed to not only not make the playoffs but sell the future in doing so. Leafs fans would kill to been in the Caps position right now.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester View Post
You're kidding, right? Burke got fired because he managed to not only not make the playoffs but sell the future in doing so. Leafs fans would kill to been in the Caps position right now.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
I swear this forum is stupid.

Lets fire GMGM. One game. All because of one ****ing game.

Its funny, Burke got fired, then 7 years later the core he drafted brought the team to the Stanley Cup.

Lets go ahead, lets do it. I would love to have to do deal with when our new GM still doesn't have any deals to be made and can't draft worth **** vs the one who turned Varlamov who didn't want to re-sign into Forsberg and some how Tom Wilson is turning out to be very good(boy was I wrong). Hell look at Barber, he just didn't have a good streak in the WJC, he is doing great in the NCAA.

Ovechkin should go back to left wing, there wasn't a single thing that looked liked an advantage for him being a right winger.
No, genius.

Some of us have wanted GMGM fired for years and years and years. You can sit back and cherry pick Georges good moves, and thats fine. But body of work (15 FREAKING YEARS) and we have one team that made it past the divisional playoffs. ONE. And that wasnt even his team!

You are one of those posters that likes to make apologies for the Caps failures. Blah blah blah. In the end, one man is responsible for all of this, and that man is the architect of the team. End of story.

15 FREAKING YEARS. That is a lifetime in pro sports.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Posted on main board in a topic making fun of this boards and the Red Wings overreaction.
oh the horror! Caps fans are being made fun of!!!

Old
01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
How did that year end?
We won the Cup? Amirite?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Posted on main board in a topic making fun of this boards and the Red Wings overreaction.
Also posted on the main board is a topic "Who is the best NHL player who has a bald or shaved head".

That right there should kill any interest any of us should have in what goes on in the main boards.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
You are one of those posters that likes to make apologies for the Caps failures. Blah blah blah. In the end, one man is responsible for all of this, and that man is the architect of the team. End of story.

I'm sorry but the 'there is one winner and 29 losers' approach to gauging the performance of individuals in professional sports is ridiculous IMO. Nothing anyone does is in a bubble, whether it is one, five, ten, or fifteen years.

If you want to break down fifteen years of McPhee's GMing of the Caps I'm your huckleberry but if all you have is '15 YEARS!' stop wasting our time.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm sorry but the 'there is one winner and 29 losers' approach to gauging the performance of individuals in professional sports is ridiculous IMO. Nothing anyone does is in a bubble, whether it is one, five, ten, or fifteen years.

If you want to break down fifteen years of McPhee's GMing of the Caps I'm your huckleberry but if all you have is '15 YEARS!' stop wasting our time.
Why do I need to do more than state the obvious?

In many many places, its been beaten to death about what has constituted those 15 years. One Cup final's loss (with Poile's team), and then what...4 2nd round losses, and the rest is nada? Caps have missed the playoffs more times than they've advanced past the 1st round.

And this year is a major regression, and looks to be another playoff miss, if the eyes are to be believed. And this is all WITH the Young Guns (or what is left of them).

Dont be a pollyana, Millhaus

Old
01-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Why do I need to do more than state the obvious?

In many many places, its been beaten to death about what has constituted those 15 years. One Cup final's loss (with Poile's team), and then what...4 2nd round losses, and the rest is nada? Caps have missed the playoffs more times than they've advanced past the 1st round.

And this year is a major regression, and looks to be another playoff miss, if the eyes are to be believed. And this is all WITH the Young Guns (or what is left of them).

Dont be a pollyana, Millhaus
So all you have is the 15 years line eh? Just so I know how many cups should a competent GM have after 15 years on the job in your esteemed opinion?

I'll say it again, if you want to walk through McPhee's 15 years I'll happily join you but simply saying '15 years' is stupid IMO. The devil is in the details I'm afraid...

And as far as this 'year' is concerned, are you really of the opinion that a six day training 'camp' is in any way sufficient for a brand new coach to implement a brand new system and have the team playing in anyway reasonably well? Sure the team has not looked good at all but did you really expect anything else under the circumstances and if you did why?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Atlas

Millhaus,

Do you want McPhee replaced or not? Do you think he will win the Stanley Cup as the Caps GM in a reasonable amount of time?

Old
01-24-2013, 08:27 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
how long since the leafs made the playoffs much less had a reasonable shot at success in the playoffs. the caps have failed in the playoffs for certain, but they have had a reasonable shot each season and have gone game 7 in the second round twice.

equating the leafs missing the playoffs every season and the caps choking or failing in the 2nd round of the playoffs are not remotely the same thing. how have the pens done since their cup? is shero on the hot seat?
TX,

I think that many Leaf's fans are like many Wing's fans... a different breed in that there's more community support from being an original 6 team. Those type fans don't follow the sport that closely (as we do), and after hearing about a few wins, get it into their heads that their team is a Cup contender.

Give you an example: I ran the electronic repair division in MI for Sear's Product Services for a while, and in 1997, just as the Wing's were poised to win the last game of the semi-finals, and go on to play (and win) the Flyers, I had to speak with a lady who was quite irate about one of the service technicians. I quelled the problem, and the lady really liked me... so she was trying to make small talk with me... and told me that she was a real "Red Wings Fan" and asked me if I was going to watch the big game (the clincher: semi-final game against the Stars).

I said:"Of course, and you know what happens if we win, right?"

She got a funny look on her face, and then said:

Lady customer: "We go to the bowl.... right?"

I've remembered that fondly for years. But that's the level of many of these type fans, and until only recently (during AO's addition to the team), the Caps had very few camp follower types like that nice lady.

So I'd have to say that until recently, only a very few could look at the team during McPhee's tenure, and believe that we had a reasonable chance.

The truth is... we weren't even close. The best we've ever done (excluding Poile's team)... was to make it half-way.

And to me.... half-way isn't close.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
BTCG

Quote:
No, genius.

Some of us have wanted GMGM fired for years and years and years. You can sit back and cherry pick Georges good moves, and thats fine. But body of work (15 FREAKING YEARS) and we have one team that made it past the divisional playoffs. ONE. And that wasnt even his team!

Ridley,

I realize you're passionate about wanting real change, and accountability. But there's no need to be sharp with the tongue (I do totally agree with you, though, and think you make great arguments via darn good writing).

The truth is, Forsberg/Wilson are not in the NHL yet, and the difference between the NHL and other leagues is like comparing college football to the NFL.

Good play in any other league is no indicator of the level that player will produce if he makes it into the NHL.

And that's the truth of it.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Millhaus,

Do you want McPhee replaced or not? Do you think he will win the Stanley Cup as the Caps GM in a reasonable amount of time?
What is a reasonable amount of time?

And I'll open it up to everyone, if given 15 years how many cups should a competent GM win in your esteemed opinion?

Old
01-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
What is a reasonable amount of time?

And I'll open it up to everyone, if given 15 years how many cups should a competent GM win in your esteemed opinion?
For me it's not so much about the cups as it is getting out of the 2nd round...

Old
01-24-2013, 09:56 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I will bite.

Not all teams are created equal when a GM takes over, but George has had 2 era's at his control in his endeavors to win a cup.

The 2nd with hands down the best player in the world in his prime. And arguably one in his first tenure as well.

Given the quality of players he has had, a owner with deep pockets, I think it's reasonable to expect him to be in the finals 3 times, and win 1 cup.

It dampens his resume when he hires only coaches with no experience. Sure we can blame Ted for Cassidy and the Jagr debacle. And he got a second chance, but has stuck with no namers. And in that 2nd chance, he is trending downward. Who wants Ted to wait for a full crash. GMing is a tough job but its not rocket science either.

I would trust a few here to consult George on personnel.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-24-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old
01-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
For me it's not so much about the cups as it is getting out of the 2nd round...
Fine, how many times in 15 years should a competent GM's team get to the conference finals...?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Capitlols

Three times seems reasonable.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:30 AM
Stewie G

I could probably be described as a GMGM apologist but one thing I try to look at when evaluating any GM is not only the results, but the potential of the rosters he puts together. The guy doesn't play the games. I know talking heads are just that, but there have been several respected publications/analysts over the past several years who have picked the Caps as favorites for the Cup at the start of the season. Heck, even this season one of the guys on the NHL Network preview show picked the Caps to win it all.

Maybe he should have been better in targeting tougher "playoff" players or gone with more established coaches, but he couldn't stop Halak from turning into a wall or prevent the refs from waving off the goal in Game 7 vs. the Habs or stop Orpik from slashing Semin or having half the defensemen end up with broken feet against the Pens.

Should he have been fired already? Maybe. You could also talk me into probably, but an argument could be made for keeping him around as well.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Three times seems reasonable.
Ok so on average make the conference finals every 5 years then?

And does it matter if you are allowed to run the team the way you see fit with an agreed upon budget made well in advance or if the owner interferes and brings in a top player you don't want and gives him a huge contract and then when the fans don't support the team the way he would like makes a knee jerk reaction and slashes the budget putting you in an almost impossible position?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think it's reasonable to expect him to be in the finals 3 times, and win 1 cup.
I could be wrong but I believe there are 2 organizations in the league that have made 3 finals in the last 15 seasons, the Wings and Devils.

You still feel that is a 'reasonable' expectation?

Old
01-24-2013, 10:45 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I feel like judging by the result (what round you get to) is foolish. Do you like the moves he made or not, that's what it should be. Results are based too much on random occurrences (timely/untimely injuries, hot and cold streaks, voodoo magic) to be of much value.

If you want to set a goal, then go by how many times the team could reasonably have reached that goal rather than whether they actually did, but even then it should be what was built rather than what they did that evaluates the GM's job. How did he act and react, etc. Just pointing to the record is lazy.

And I have no issue with people saying they don't like the moves GMGM has or hasn't made. I think he's too risk averse (biggest core issue IMO), although not to the extent that some might (I don't want Holmgren-level moves). I also think his hypothetical replacement is more likely to be a downgrade than an upgrade, but that's just my usual boundless optimism.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I could probably be described as a GMGM apologist but one thing I try to look at when evaluating any GM is not only the results, but the potential of the rosters he puts together. The guy doesn't play the games. I know talking heads are just that, but there have been several respected publications/analysts over the past several years who have picked the Caps as favorites for the Cup at the start of the season. Heck, even this season one of the guys on the NHL Network preview show picked the Caps to win it all.

Maybe he should have been better in targeting tougher "playoff" players or gone with more established coaches, but he couldn't stop Halak from turning into a wall or prevent the refs from waving off the goal in Game 7 vs. the Habs or stop Orpik from slashing Semin or having half the defensemen end up with broken feet against the Pens.

Should he have been fired already? Maybe. You could also talk me into probably, but an argument could be made for keeping him around as well.
Stewie,

I think I related the story of how I cleaned out the garage and came across a box of vcr tapes of the 97/98 SCF's. Caps vs Wings.

In the Satellite Hotstove segment, Milbury and the boys commented and declared what would happen with several pending events at that time.

It was comical: they didn't get a single one of them right!

I've got to dig that out and make an m-peg 4 outta that segment.

Look, you wanna cite skill, lack of picking skill, or go with your stanby on this last post: bad luck... let's call it that.

Which leads us to this: after 15 years.... maybe we need a luckier fellow?

Closed Thread