HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 07:41 PM
malcolmedge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Yeah nevermind I fixed it. Simply reset my router and now every game works except the two TSN games (WPG/WSH + SJ/EDM).

Yay
I dont know if Gamecenter goes by IP or DNS like netflix does.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:44 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmedge View Post
I dont know if Gamecenter goes by IP or DNS like netflix does.
I duno either, but I'm gonna assume all my VPN/Proxy stuff to bypass legit blackouts led to this problem. Works now 100% though, I shall remember to reset my router whenever I have a similar problem.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:46 PM
grdawg

Anyone in atlanta area know the deal with Carolina and Nashville games being blacked out on GCL. I found a link from last year saying that they were lifted, but games have been blacked out for me.

I still don't get why the games on nhl network and NBC sports are blacked out on GCL. I've had MLB.tv for many years and they don't blackout games on MLB network or ESPN. The NHL really needs to get their crap together.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdawg View Post
Anyone in atlanta area know the deal with Carolina and Nashville games being blacked out on GCL. I found a link from last year saying that they were lifted, but games have been blacked out for me.

I still don't get why the games on nhl network and NBC sports are blacked out on GCL. I've had MLB.tv for many years and they don't blackout games on MLB network or ESPN. The NHL really needs to get their crap together.

A little ot but on MLB.TV your saying only the games on Fox are blacked out? (Besides local games of course.) That's a good deal. I probably won't get it though cause I see every game of my team..

Old
01-22-2013, 08:03 PM
grdawg

Ya on MLB.tv only the sat fox games and Sunday night ESPN game are blacked out as well as your local market, nothing else and in 2014 if the fox game isn't in your local area it won't be blacked out anymore

Makes no sense but on the free center ice preview the Carolina game is not blacked.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:11 PM
RedBruin

Great, can't get back in anymore.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:29 PM
kukuman

My impressions so far:

* the website is often unresponsive or extremely slow to load. Often I am unable to access the streams as well as the scoreboard and other parts of the site, or I have to wait up to 30 seconds for it to load. I can't imagine how badly their application must be designed if it can't keep up with the load on a typical weeknight.

* the blackout messages are often unhelpful. It basically just says "it's on national TV, go watch it there". OK... what channel? You can't do some geolocation and say "go watch it on X channel in your area"? Not to mention the fact that I live in Seattle and many games that are on "national" TV are not actually being shown here.

* Stream performance is iffy. I have a program that shows a graph of bandwidth usage (NetMeter). On some streams it shows intermittent periods of no activity for a few seconds, then I see the bandwidth spike. Immediately after that I see the stream pause for some time, then resume. The frame rate of the stream seems lower than analog cable. Even worse is the NBCSports streaming app, which apparently loses track of the stream and fast-forwards to recover. It's very jarring and can cause you to lose crucial moments of the action. It has nothing to do with my computer or connection. I have a self-built PC with an Intel Core i5-2400 and Geforce GTX 560, with a 30 mbit cable connection.

Overall I am very unimpressed and likely won't be back for this next year. It seems to me like the NHL and NBC are not serious about providing a serious alternative to traditional television viewing.

EDIT: Now I'm seeing a 404 error on the scores and GameCenter landing page. I am really starting to question the competence of their web development team.

Last edited by kukuman: 01-22-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: adding the error
Old
01-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuman View Post
My impressions so far:

* the website is often unresponsive or extremely slow to load. Often I am unable to access the streams as well as the scoreboard and other parts of the site, or I have to wait up to 30 seconds for it to load. I can't imagine how badly their application must be designed if it can't keep up with the load on a typical weeknight.

* the blackout messages are often unhelpful. It basically just says "it's on national TV, go watch it there". OK... what channel? You can't do some geolocation and say "go watch it on X channel in your area"? Not to mention the fact that I live in Seattle and many games that are on "national" TV are not actually being shown here.

* Stream performance is iffy. I have a program that shows a graph of bandwidth usage (NetMeter). On some streams it shows intermittent periods of no activity for a few seconds, then I see the bandwidth spike. Immediately after that I see the stream pause for some time, then resume. The frame rate of the stream seems lower than analog cable. Even worse is the NBCSports streaming app, which apparently loses track of the stream and fast-forwards to recover. It's very jarring and can cause you to lose crucial moments of the action. It has nothing to do with my computer or connection. I have a self-built PC with an Intel Core i5-2400 and Geforce GTX 560, with a 30 mbit cable connection.

Overall I am very unimpressed and likely won't be back for this next year. It seems to me like the NHL and NBC are not serious about providing a serious alternative to traditional television viewing.

EDIT: Now I'm seeing a 404 error on the scores and GameCenter landing page. I am really starting to question the competence of their web development team.
This is significantly worse than it was last season. Not sure what's going on since it was pretty stable last season and I don't remember this many issues all year as I've had in the first week this year.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Borschevsky

Was getting 404 too. Seems to be working now.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:46 PM
kukuman

Yeah, it's working for me now as well. Hopefully they were doing a hotfix to take care of the issues, and it wasn't just the site choking.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I can't get back in... again.. right before the Sharks game too.. Frak. I finished the Canes game, noticed the scores were messed up, then all the games were blacked out for some reason.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

yep down again good god they have a lot of outage issues

Old
01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
SoupGuru

Are they running the servers on WinME?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

This thing has been a disaster for me the first few nights, specifically the Xbox app. I used it on my computer the last couple seasons and it was great, so I really hope they get it sorted out.

I'm becoming way too familiar with this stupid spinning circle.

01-22-2013, 09:00 PM
SoupGuru

But at least I have an error number to reference, so that's helpful.

An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #97.ac4aee9d.1358909569.fea99365

Old
01-22-2013, 09:01 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainChara View Post
I'm able to watch one game on my living room Roku, while the wife watches a different game on my bedroom Roku, a third game on my iPad, and a fourth on my iPhone.

At the same time.

I'm tempted to go see if it I can get a fifth game on the computer. Just because.
so its you causing all these outages

its back up for me so like a 10 min outage. at least they are responsive

Old
01-22-2013, 09:03 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

If I let the page load for two minutes I can get to the game I want but the whole thing is still screwy.. I don't get how it work perfectly for me at least from 7pm to 9pm then frak up.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:05 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

lol mine just wigged out and started sounding like dubstep

Old
01-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Mine is dead. Just spinning circle non-stop, doesn't matter if I change the game etc... Great.

Edit - It fixed itself after I closed and then re-opened the app. The server is still extremely slow and sputtering though.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi

Last edited by Telos: 01-22-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 09:38 PM
HartnellDown

Guys is Gamecenter 720p or 1080p? I want to get another Roku for the bedroom but if it isn't in 1080p I'll get the cheaper model this time that displays 720p.
Thanks in advance for the help!?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
tarheelredwing

anyone know of a promo code other than using a discover card for nhl gamecenter

used a pirated stream tonight for the wings game because $50 sounded like too much for a shortened season (and i didnt wanna give the nhl my money) but that stream was awful

Old
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Nick1219

So... much... spinny... circle...

Not having any problems really on my iPhone or PC, but my Xbox has been a train wreck lately.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Anyone have any luck watching a game on the Android app? I have a Nexus 4 and when I go to watch a game and press on the play button on the NHL screen it tries to load for a few seconds and then just goes back to showing the play symbol.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Old
01-22-2013, 10:52 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
man I guess I am lucky because it's been working fantastic since the day 1 this season. 3000 kbps without any lag 95% of the time.

Closed Thread