HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Old
01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
leaponover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Well he is a good friend of Tavares

and his 45 pts a season, are prettier then Frans 45 pts a season.
LOL! I don't know if this is sarcastic but you take away the one game that Gagner had 8 friggin points in and Frans outscored him. He's just lucky he didnt' get drug tested for coking it up one game.

Anyway, I think this whining about not being invited to camp is garbage. It was not a traditional training camp by any means coming off a lockout. Even if Nino came to camp it was obvious the Isles had their mind made up on how to proceed with him early. If he doesn't like it, he needs to realize he is a rookie and that's how the cookie crumbles. Hopefully this is much ado about nothing.

How far away is Comeau 2.0 from returning from injury? (Bailey)

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
PJGooch

Whoa, 20-year-old kid may or may not be acting like an entitled punk.

Groundbreaking.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
Swiss agent, Andy Rufener.
Thanks!

I was half expecting Gandler.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Puckzilla13

Isles cant win...you keep the kid down to develop, this happens. You bring him up, and Isles are tagged with rushing players and ruining them.

My feeling is that Nino played well enough in the AHL to earn a spot on the roster THIS year, shortened camp and all. He is handling the situation poorly, but he is ready. Forget last year, he deserves the roster spot. Boyes had a crap year last season, but we are ok with him on the roster (yes, he had a good season in St Louis a few years back).

Islanders drama...must be Tuesday...

Puckzilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Symon Asher

Dude should be happy he got an NHL Salary last year. Hickey is the one should be pissed at the Kings for being kept down

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Islesfan22

Im sure Snow will be getting some calls but i doubt he moves Nino unless he gets an offer he really likes. Shame whats happening hear and i blame the Islanders just as much as Nino for this fiasco. Nino is frustrated and going about this the wrong way. The Islanders have handled this kid totally wrong and all because of there penny pinching ways.

Islesfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:11 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
LOL! I don't know if this is sarcastic but you take away the one game that Gagner had 8 friggin points in and Frans outscored him. He's just lucky he didnt' get drug tested for coking it up one game.

Anyway, I think this whining about not being invited to camp is garbage. It was not a traditional training camp by any means coming off a lockout. Even if Nino came to camp it was obvious the Isles had their mind made up on how to proceed with him early. If he doesn't like it, he needs to realize he is a rookie and that's how the cookie crumbles. Hopefully this is much ado about nothing.

How far away is Comeau 2.0 from returning from injury? (Bailey)
It was sarcasm. I've had quite a few debates with Oiler fans, over Frans Nielsen's 45 pts a season vs. Gagner's 45 pts a season and over whether anyone cares, that Tavares and Gagner were bffs at 11 yrs old

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Not on the 4th line with Pandolfo as your playmaker.

Again, the amount of bonus that Nino's ELC provided would be basically impossible to acquire otherwise.
First, we don't know what those bonuses were, nor whether or not Nino actually hit any of them.

Second, you never needed his whole cap number to hit the floor!

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It won't. But you didn't answer the question: why does Snow and the Islanders organization get the benefit of the doubt? I'm not thinking up a conspiracy theory here. It was a delicate situation, and Snow does not seem to be a delicate guy.

As for examples - every damn interview the guy does. He's surly, acts like he's doing the interviewer a favor. What else do we have to go on but the guy's public image?

On the one hand I don't think the Islanders have a good record. On the other hand, I remember Nino cherry picking, somehow thinking that would make a difference, on his last game of his 9-day stay the season before last. So, whatever.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Public image =/= private guy.

But you are right, we have nothing else to go on. That being said, its not about giving him the benefit of the doubt, its about not projecting what we think of the guy into what he actually is, and what he actually does.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Mr Wentworth
Isles Masochist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan22 View Post
Im sure Snow will be getting some calls but i doubt he moves Nino unless he gets an offer he really likes. Shame whats happening hear and i blame the Islanders just as much as Nino for this fiasco. Nino is frustrated and going about this the wrong way. The Islanders have handled this kid totally wrong and all because of there penny pinching ways.
I think that is a point which has been missing from this discussion.

Didn't Snow say something to the effect of, "I'm not looking to move him?"

Well, he should and shouldn't be.

If a "blow you out of the water" offer comes in for Nino, then yes, he should go, but, to move him because he might have floated a test balloon via his agent and/or just tried to make some noise so he might get bumped to the top of the call-up list*, is pointless.

*Assuming there's a list, while not assuming he isn't already on the top of it, while assuming this is the forward list, not the d-man or the goalie list.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:30 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
No propsects were invited to camp.
Strome, Reinhart, Cizikas are still prospect...

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:44 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
Hope this is BS. Nino "one point" Neiderreiter is in no position to be pouting or requesting trades.
You know the reason why he had one point last year : He was not ready for the NHL and he was playing five to nine minutes a game with players like Tim Wallace and Marty Reasonner. It was impossible for him to produce last year. I think your argument is pretty weak. How was it possible for him to produce when you don't have the opportunity?

Things can change very fast in sports and I don't think we have the same Niederreiter this year. The guy seems more ready to play in the NHL but curiously, unlike last year, he's not in the NHL. I can somehow understand why he's a bit confused and mad. He sees ex-teamate Colin McDonald is in the NHL right now. Same for Casey Cizikas, who is almost as young. "Why those two and not me? I was having a season year than both!"
I think that might be one of the reason why he's mad about the situation. He's having a very good season so far in Brideport and the Isles decided not to reward him and give him, at last, a real FIRST chance, which he did not have yet.

And finally, you have all those other young players in the NHL right now and they were no better than him in the AHL this year :
Sven Beartshy (Calgary)
Roman Horak (Calgary)
Brendan Gallagher (Montreal)
Ryan Johansen (Columbus)
Nazem Kadri (Toronto)
Magnus Paajarvi (Edmonton)
Peter Holland (Anaheim)
Kyle Palmeiri (Anaheim)
Devante Smith-pelly (Anaheim)

And I can go on...

So it seem that there is a lot of team in the NHL right now that might have a place for Nino in their line-up. But not the Islanders! They are such a powerhouse! We have room for players like Brad Boyes, that, of course, the Sabres let go to make room for Grigorenko. And Grigorenko is not having five minutes a game.

The Islanders are the one who should deserve the blame for this situation. A total mismanagement of the situation. Niederreiter in the NHL when he's clearly not ready, but when he's maybe ready (how can we be sure without giving him a chance?), he is not!

And I think that chance, he deserves it, due to is very good start.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:57 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Article by Staple

Quote:
Islanders general manager Garth Snow received an email from Andre Rufener, the Switzerland-based agent for Nino Niederreiter, asking that Snow try and trade the Isles' top pick in the 2010 NHL draft. A source indicated that Snow has no plans to move Niederreiter, who currently leads the team's AHL affiliate in Bridgeport in scoring.

Rufener declined to comment on the trade request, which was first reported by ESPN.com.

Rufener sent Snow the email last week, during the Islanders' six-day training camp prior to the start of the current, 48-game season, voicing his displeasure with the team's handling of his client. The next day, Snow, along with his coaches from the Islanders and in Bridgeport, sat down with Niederreiter after the scrimmage between the Islanders and the Sound Tigers and discussed why Niederreiter did not get an invite to the NHL camp.

"All conversations with players remain private," Snow said, "but I will say that Nino has never told me that he's unhappy."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...medium=twitter

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:02 PM
kasper11

Wonder who was the instigator...Nino or his agent. Rufener stands to gain a lot by Nino being in the NHL (he gets his percentage of what Nino earns)

Anyone know if Rufener has any other NHL clients?

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:08 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Wonder who was the instigator...Nino or his agent. Rufener stands to gain a lot by Nino being in the NHL (he gets his percentage of what Nino earns)

Anyone know if Rufener has any other NHL clients?
Basically, outside of Streit, he represents the Swiss NHL contingent, including Wick, Conz and Baertschi.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
I honestly think, that most of you are overreacting, i mean come on, have you seen how the Islanders treated him? I understand the Isles to let him play in the AHL at the moment, but last season was probably one of the worst things an NHL organization has ever done to a young player. I would be angry at them too if they treated me like that.
i wish that people would remember that niederreiter begged like a little ***** to be on the team last year. "please don't send me back to junior...i'll do anything! please! please! please!" this is when garf made the infamous promise to the young boy. the funny thing is, that by giving in to this whiny little ***** last year, the isles have brought about this whole situation.

islandermaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Donovan and Nelson are also having strong AHL seasons. Why are they able to grasp that they'll get their chance, but Nino doesn't understand that?

Nino's got no leverage. He's signed to an nhl contract, so the KHL is out. I'm gonna guess he wants to play in the 2014 Olympics, so he can't play in another pro league without the IIHF coming down on him and suspending him.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Donovan and Nelson are also having strong AHL seasons. Why are they able to grasp that they'll get their chance, but Nino doesn't understand that?

Nino's got no leverage. He's signed to an nhl contract, so the KHL is out. I'm gonna guess he wants to play in the 2014 Olympics, so he can't play in another pro league without the IIHF coming down on him and suspending him.
in all fairness neither one of those players were with the big team last year. I think Nino at least expected a "fighting chance." However, I did not expect anything like this from Nino and would hope the kid does whatever possible to resolve this by playing his way to the big club, as if he wouldn't be the first call up to begin with.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:30 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If you read my posts objectively, I want them to be ready. Tavares was ready. Nino.....not ready.

Break it down.....emotional maturity...was a bad game going to hit him hard? Being hit hard going to turn him into Okposo? Lotsa mental things hinge on a player being "ready."

Physically ready.....is he done growing? Strength, speed, able to take hits, etc.?

Game. Does he pass and shoot well? Hit people? Take hits and do the right thing? Position? Defense?

I saw a lot lacking, despite his size and raw skill. The AL has him comfy. Confident. How is his defense? Inner psyche? Would a playoff run help him mature into a more confident beast out there or should we let him wallow on line 4 or, maybe 3? I want him to come to camp next year and take at least the second line left wing. And by take it, I mean do EVERYTHING right.

So playing this year would be like having a lawyer who got a chance at a retrial rushing so he can get back at it without using the advantage he has of being able to plant a solid case for acquittal.

So let's see Nino make the playoffs and hopefully become a much better player. I want him very hungry at camp.
I think right now his biggest weakness is his defensive game, which really isn't a big weakness at all. From the games I've seen this year he seems to backcheck hard and generally makes the smart play when in his own zone.

Physically, I don't see him having much of a problem at the NHL level. Honestly I see him giving opponents a bigger problem. He's a big kid who clearly likes to play physical. Even last year I thought that was the best part of his game towards the end of the year. You could tell he was starting to look more comfortable in his role and was getting involved more in that aspect. IMO he's already miles ahead of Okposo, in terms of getting involved physically(hopefully KO changes that though).

He's a good skater, for a big kid. If you watched the Isles-Soundtigers scrimmage I'm sure you would have noticed that. While not a burner, he has a powerful stride. Isn't afraid to crash the net. Again, definitely not something that would hold him back at the next level. IMO this area of his game would actually allow for him to have success early on at the next level.

As far as bad games hitting him hard, I don't necessarily know if that will be the case. I know he had a couple of games where he went pointless around the time he found out he wasn't getting a crack at the NHL, then followed it up with a 2-goal game. That said, I don't think anyone will really know for sure until he does it at the NHL level.

I do agree that there is more that a kid like Nino could learn at the AHL level, but I'd also argue that there is more that a kid like Granlund could learn at the AHL level, or a kid like Huberdeau at the CHL level. They were promoted because their respective teams felt like they could contribute to them having success this year. With the lineup this team threw out on opening night, I would have put Nino in that same boat(Strome as well, but that's another story). I do agree that Nino being here in a 4th line role would be pointless, but IMO the 3rd line would be perfectly reasonable. When Frans Nielsen is your 2C, you are going to need some scoring out of your 3rd line. This wouldn't have been your typical checking line. I'm assuming the Isles could have tried to roll some kind of 2A and 2B.

Either way, I do respect your approach with these kids and feel there is little downside to taking that route. At the same time, I feel there is little upside to icing a roster of waiver wire pickups, especially when you have a kid who is expected to be a big part of this team's future knocking on the NHL door. Having Nino here seemed like a no-brainer to me.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
in all fairness neither one of those players were with the big team last year. I think Nino at least expected a "fighting chance." However, I did not expect anything like this from Nino and would hope the kid does whatever possible to resolve this by playing his way to the big club, as if he wouldn't be the first call up to begin with.
Neither of those players struggled at the NHL level either.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:31 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Unbelievable. We had an Oiler fan come into this thread and propose the struggling Paarjarvi and lil Omark for Nino. I went to the Oilers board and posted my opinion on that lowball offer. Now I am blocked from the Oilers board.
don't take it personally, crew. you've been posting here at hf longer than the mod that banned you has likely even been alive. the idea that oiler castoffs are not worth a prospect as talented as the swiss miss is lost on them.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
don't take it personally, crew. you've been posting here at hf longer than the mod that banned you has likely even been alive. the idea that oiler castoffs are not worth a prospect as talented as the swiss miss is lost on them.
Disappointing when even mods get caught up in fantasy proposals. I'd expect them to be the ones, bringing their fans back to earth.

Omark went thru waivers before bolting to Europe and now because he's tearing up some soft, no contact league, his value has suddenly risen?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:43 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Disappointing when even mods get caught up in fantasy proposals. I'd expect them to be the ones, bringing their fans back to earth.

Omark went thru waivers before bolting to Europe and now because he's tearing up some soft, no contact league, his value has suddenly risen?
i'm one person who sees exactly what you're saying...about oiler castoffs AND about mods!

just keep on, keepin' on. you are a good poster. when you are wrong, i'll let you know.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:45 PM
blinkman360
Richard Harrow Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i wish that people would remember that niederreiter begged like a little ***** to be on the team last year. "please don't send me back to junior...i'll do anything! please! please! please!" this is when garf made the infamous promise to the young boy. the funny thing is, that by giving in to this whiny little ***** last year, the isles have brought about this whole situation.
I remember that's exactly how it went down... you nailed it.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:45 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think right now his biggest weakness is his defensive game,

Actually, Somewhat fittingly, his biggest weakness is his lack of maturity and mental make-up. And obviously this little situation speaks to that. I can't really get into specifics, but trust me, this little news story today did not surprise me in the least.

That said, this whole thing will be forgotten in time, and I think eventually Nino will be that strong winger on the first or second line in the not so distant future.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote