HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dodging a Bullet in Hogtown

Old
01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
I think it's because he's just so noticeable. I saw Sekera make similar mistakes as Myers and yet nobody throws a hissy fit about that stuff unless it's Tyler. Myers is the only guy people will freak out about a mistake he makes, even if nothing actually happens to take advantage of it.
The difference is Myers has looked continually bad with the puck on his stick through these 2 games, and Sekera hasn't.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:58 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
No they don't. What Kaleta has done in the first two games (running around and starting **** with everyone at anytime with John Scott ensured immunity) has elements of spontaneity, aggressiveness and combativeness that have ranged from lacking to completely absent over the past five+ seasons. Let the league deal with it if he's actually crossing lines.

Ruff letting up on the gas and self policing has gotten us nowhere, while dirty, targeted, yet hardly punished play has been at the heart of three consecutive disappointing finishes.
He can still run around and be himself without being dumb. The last penalty was simply dumb. He cross checked the Leaf player three times in the chest and they guy never retaliated once. Considering the situation at the time, he needs to dial that back and not take that penalty.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
tsujimoto74

G:
VHP
Miller
The PK
Getting out of there with 2 points

B:
Everything else

U:
Grigorenko being our only center over 50% on faceoffs

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
He can still run around and be himself without being dumb. The last penalty was simply dumb. He cross checked the Leaf player three times in the chest and they guy never retaliated once. Considering the situation at the time, he needs to dial that back and not take that penalty.
From what I heard Hecht was the one throwing the cross checks. Kaleta just had the misfortune of being 3rd man in.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
BuzzKillington90

[QUOTE=RockFlagAndEagle;58086115]I disagree, when you tell Kaleta to tone down he becomes useless.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this.

Kaleta is, by nature, a pest. He excels at it.

He is however a very good defensive energy forward. The dude does not quit and several times I watched him skate hard from mid-ice to our zone to help break up plays.

The man isn't a scorer, nor really a playmaker. But I love what he brings to the team...

Keep in mind that the final penalty was due to Hecht cross-checking a Leaf and Kaleta coming in. He also acknowledged that after the game as stupid, and that he knows better.

BuzzKillington90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
LGB24

Quote:
That was Hecht cross checking him which went unpenalized. Kaleta came in and shoved the player very lightly.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
That was Hecht cross checking him which went unpenalized. Kaleta came in and shoved the player very lightly.
This. Personally I'd be fine with HECHT getting a penalty there, if the league is going to consistently call that kind of thing, but the league is very inconsistent with how it deals with over-the-top post-whistle stuff and that sort of thing. Nevermind that Kaleta didn't do anything. The refs seemed to have his number in this one, which is something we see from time to time. He doesn't do anything to dissuade the refs, of course, as he goes on playing his game, but that doesn't make it fair either. I have no problem with anything Kaleta did last night that I can recall.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
I didn't look that close, I just assumed it was Kaleta. Perhaps that is kind of what happens to him on the ice too. The ref just sees Kaleta and he gets a reputation call. Thanks for pointing out.

Its funny because I know their faces, their numbers etc. and I still didn't even notice it was Hecht.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:48 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
This. Personally I'd be fine with HECHT getting a penalty there, if the league is going to consistently call that kind of thing, but the league is very inconsistent with how it deals with over-the-top post-whistle stuff and that sort of thing. Nevermind that Kaleta didn't do anything. The refs seemed to have his number in this one, which is something we see from time to time. He doesn't do anything to dissuade the refs, of course, as he goes on playing his game, but that doesn't make it fair either. I have no problem with anything Kaleta did last night that I can recall.
I was shouting about this last night as it was happening while still cursing Kaleta under my breath. I thought it was Kaleta who had delivered the cross checks and I felt they were dumb and not necessary. That said, I don't understand how you can call that in that situation and not call it so frequently other times. That stuff happens nearly every play in some games and they let it go.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:49 PM
LGB24

Quote:
I didn't look that close, I just assumed it was Kaleta. Perhaps that is kind of what happens to him on the ice too. The ref just sees Kaleta and he gets a reputation call. Thanks for pointing out.

Its funny because I know their faces, their numbers etc. and I still didn't even notice it was Hecht.
first time I saw it I thought it was Kaleta too, didn't think Hecht would actually be doing that

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:00 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
The difference is Myers has looked continually bad with the puck on his stick through these 2 games, and Sekera hasn't.
I think Sekera has looked bad these two games. A few times Sekera has completely missed on clearing the puck, or has made a no look pass in the corner where nobody is. He's been as bad as Myers. I'm not saying he's bad, just he's been playing bad. But since people want/apparently need a reason to get rid of Leopold they focus on his mistakes, and whether accidently or purposely, they overlook Sekera's bad plays because hes a solid enough skater to get back in position.

The only duo who has performed together well has been Ehroff and Sulzer, and Sulzer has been our BEST defenseman.

They need to get back to having the center come back much like they had before and help out these defensemen that are left to deal with two forecheckers and constant pressure.

The defensemen have played poorly, couple that with the awful system they have in place and it leads to many turnovers.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Yeah, all of the defensemen look pretty rusty. Sulzer is keeping his game simple (not a bad thing) and he's looked better than just about everyone else thus far. Leo's missed assignments and had rough puck moments. Myers has had issues moving the puck. Regehr's had issues with speed wide. Sekera, puck. Ehrhoff, puck. This is basically the 10th day of camp and we've seen two pre-season quality games. If they're still this bad in two weeks, start handing out the pitch forks and torches. Right now, patience.

01-22-2013, 04:13 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

And the things is .... All teams are looking in preseason form. Every team we've watched since Saturday will get better and better. Sure most of the defenseman are having brain cramps out there. But with almost no training camp, practice, and no preseason games to shake off the rust and kindle some chemistry, this is what it looks like. I would agree with Chain that Sulzer has looked the most consistent so far. Simple game, simple effective results.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
And the things is .... All teams are looking in preseason form. Every team we've watched since Saturday will get better and better. Sure most of the defenseman are having brain cramps out there. But with almost no training camp, practice, and no preseason games to shake off the rust and kindle some chemistry, this is what it looks like. I would agree with Chain that Sulzer has looked the most consistent so far. Simple game, simple effective results.
Hopefully the Blues and Blackhawks don't get much better

Old
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Hopefully the Blues and Blackhawks don't get much better
yea really!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Solid team win. The defense had their share of mistakes, but they played sound. The entire team played a good defensive game, but they did rely on Miller too much. Especially towards the end in which they looked gassed.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Dreakon

Maybe it's just been too long since I've watched hockey, but where has this "attack the puck even if the goalie has it covered and climb all over him" attitude come from? I understand crashing the net and all, but a few of these disallowed goals have been guys going straight into Miller. Goalie has the puck covered, doesn't matter. Chop at it! Wildly! Ref blew the whistle like a minute ago. Who cares! Even Lupul's, while disallowed for the punch, pretty much pushed Miller in the goal in the process.

I mean, you didn't see Pominville directly on top of Scrivens when he scored. Even Hodgson, for all his work around the net the last two games, barely so much as touched the goalie.

Maybe I just have my blinders on or don't watch enough games other than the Sabres. Does this happen every game for other teams? Seems like other teams take a ton of liberties with Miller and around our net in general... and wonder why we have four disallowed goals in two games. Getting to the point where other teams want so badly to get in the Sabres heads that their shenanigans around Miller are costing them goals/games. Was so glad when Kaleta unloaded on Kessel's back (tee hee).

Last edited by Dreakon: 01-22-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Fan-of-#9

What's up old friends!

Just wanted to add on Sulzer. This guy has been a great addition. He takes nothing for granted and busts his tail to get in the right position to make plays. I think he's going to be a an unheralded reason for the Sabres success on D this year. We've got 3 nice pairings in the works. I expect Ruff to ride them on rotation based on which pair is clicking best. I'm pleased with where we are at on defense.

Miller was the star, and Pominville buried the GWG as a top line scorer should. Nice win last night.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
What's up old friends!

Just wanted to add on Sulzer. This guy has been a great addition. He takes nothing for granted and busts his tail to get in the right position to make plays. I think he's going to be a an unheralded reason for the Sabres success on D this year. We've got 3 nice pairings in the works. I expect Ruff to ride them on rotation based on which pair is clicking best. I'm pleased with where we are at on defense.

Miller was the star, and Pominville buried the GWG as a top line scorer should. Nice win last night.

Sulzer appreciation video

Old
01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
What's up old friends!

It's a Fo9 sighting!!

You don't even have to change your username...you're now a Steve Ott fan

I like the players we have on defense, but not the pairings. Specifically, the non-German ones.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:13 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
What's up old friends!

Holy Hell in a handbasket a FO9 sighting!!

I have high hopes for the D but theres no way they stay healthy, the injury plague will strike them as it always does....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
It's a Fo9 sighting!!

You don't even have to change your username...you're now a Steve Ott fan

I like the players we have on defense, but not the pairings. Specifically, the non-German ones.
Gotta like what we see from Ott so far! Very different to see #9 on the Sabres getting his nose dirty in puck battles and throwing his body around. I'm not complaining, it's a welcomed change at this point. Username stays!

G and G, please remind me what your username was in the past...I'm so curious.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Gotta like what we see from Ott so far! Very different to see #9 on the Sabres getting his nose dirty in puck battles and throwing his body around. I'm not complaining, it's a welcomed change at this point. Username stays!

G and G, please remind me what your username was in the past...I'm so curious.
If you hover your mouse over their username it will tell you.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:51 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
What's up old friends!

BadBoyBiron

Fo9 v Jame

Miss you man!

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:59 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
If you hover your mouse over their username it will tell you.
Thanks now I have the impulse to check that everytime I visit a thread..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote