HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Draisaitl all day.

But I understand you're a Spits fan.
I don't think there is much difference in the two. They play an almost identical game. This must be the one time that people aren't screaming about the "hometown boy".

I like:

Sam Reinhart (Scoring machine)
Joshua Ho-Sang (Maybe the best skater in the draft, great vision and hands)
Aaron Ekblad (local kid, great family, great talent)
Jake Virtanen (Kid can do it all. Big hitter, big scorer)
Ivan Barbashev (Scores and hits at 6'0-6'1, 185, great talent)
Leon Draisaitl (I'm iffy on German kids, but he is REALLY talented)

Old
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Execpt Draisaitl is 6'2 and a centerman.

JHS is good as well.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:04 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Draisaitl all day.

But I understand you're a Spits fan.
This! Draisaitl is solid. Skating needs work but his upside is huge. Playmaking game is unreal.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:06 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Execpt Draisaitl is 6'2 and a centerman.

JHS is good as well.
I like Ho-Sang a lot. Same with Draisaitl. I'm a big fan of Virtanen as well. Dude's gonna be a stud.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Interactif

It's very early in the season, and we probably won't know where we are in the standings until the 3rd week of the young season, think this is a much truer picture. But it looks like RC is not going to allow us to tank.

Realigning sights to a 5-10 pick now with more focus on 10-15.

Ryan Pulock
Hunter Shinkaruk
Justin Bailey
Zadorov

Old
01-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I like Ho-Sang a lot. Same with Draisaitl. I'm a big fan of Virtanen as well. Dude's gonna be a stud.
I really like Ho-Sang

Old
01-24-2013, 09:23 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

Hoping for max domi or shinkaruk(probably a stretch) this year!

Old
01-24-2013, 10:57 AM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
It's very early in the season, and we probably won't know where we are in the standings until the 3rd week of the young season, think this is a much truer picture. But it looks like RC is not going to allow us to tank.

Ryan Pulock
Hunter Shinkaruk
Justin Bailey
Zadorov
I like Lazar in that range, the 2 big forwards from the Q, Mantha and Gauthier, have intriguing upside as well.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

Ryan Pulock
Hunter Shinkaruk
Justin Bailey
Zadorov
I don't expect to be bottom ten this year. I fully believe that this team is better than that and with RC coaching, I expect them to show it.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Interactif

Quote:
I don't expect to be bottom ten this year. I fully believe that this team is better than that and with RC coaching, I expect them to show it.
Certainly doesn't look like a top 5 pick right now, but you never know, it looked that last year also and then we got Rielly.

I agree we will be drafting closer to 10 this year. Pulock who has been hurt really comes in play then. Most know I love him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
I like Lazar in that range, the 2 big forwards from the Q, Mantha and Gauthier, have intriguing upside as well.
I like him closer to 25-30 TBH. Maybe even in the 2nd rd.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:

Ryan Pulock
Hunter Shinkaruk
Justin Bailey
Zadorov
If we take a blueliner, I really like Darnell Nurse.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Dark Passenger

Didnt they change the draft lottery this year, where all non playoff teams have equal shot at the top pick? Thought I read that somewhere.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Didnt they change the draft lottery this year, where all non playoff teams have equal shot at the top pick? Thought I read that somewhere.
Not equal no, it's just more teams will have a shot. The worst team will still have the best chance to pick #1 and a guaranteed chance in the top 4. And the best lottery team will have an astronomically low chance of picking #1. They just got rid of the maximum 4 spot movement rule, so if the 8th worst team wins the lottery, they will pick #1 not #4.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

If we pick 10-15

i think we are destine for Max Domi...

With honorable mentions to Nurse and Erne

Old
01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

At 10 - 16, I'd like Nichuskin, Gauthier, Nurse, Pulock, Shinkaruk, Zadorov or Mantha.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:24 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

It's clear that Randy Carlyle is still looking for size in the top-6, in order to force more pucks to the net, and create more havoc, as to allow our shooters (Grabo, Kessel) more time and space to do what they do.

If we finish somewhere between 10-15, I can't see how Mantha doesn't come into play. He'll need to work on his defensive game, but the kid is a big bodied scorer who doesn't fear driving the crease. You can't teach his size and skill, but you can teach defensive responsibility.

I think from 10-15, we should look at:

Mantha
Nurse
Erne
Ristolainen

HM to Anthony Duclair, who may be available between 20-25.

I think both Nurse and Ristolainen are GREAT compliments to what we already have on the back end. Both can skate pretty well, are smart players, make a good first pass out of the zone, and can play on your PP unit. Either one of them would make Liles and his contract expendable.

Erne showed great maturity recently, after the vets on the Remparts called he and Duclair out for trying to do too much themselves. Erne and Duclair called a dressing room meeting, and worked things out with the team. These kids are mature, and hard workers. Adding either to our top-6 would be great, and give us more offensive punch, but also (in Erne's case especially), a really smart player who knows how to put himself in position to score.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:30 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
It's clear that Randy Carlyle is still looking for size in the top-6, in order to force more pucks to the net, and create more havoc, as to allow our shooters (Grabo, Kessel) more time and space to do what they do.

If we finish somewhere between 10-15, I can't see how Mantha doesn't come into play. He'll need to work on his defensive game, but the kid is a big bodied scorer who doesn't fear driving the crease. You can't teach his size and skill, but you can teach defensive responsibility.

Mantha
Nurse
Erne
Ristolainen

I think both Nurse and Ristolainen are GREAT compliments to what we already have on the back end. Both can skate pretty well, are smart players, make a good first pass out of the zone, and can play on your PP unit. Either one of them would make Liles and his contract expendable.

Erne showed great maturity recently, after the vets on the Remparts called he and Duclair out for trying to do too much themselves. Erne and Duclair called a dressing room meeting, and worked things out with the team. These kids are mature, and hard workers. Adding either to our top-6 would be great, and give us more offensive punch, but also (in Erne's case especially), a really smart player who knows how to put himself in position to score.
Agree w/ nurse and ristolainen. both have real shutdown potential too.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:46 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
That's exactly the reason I'm so high on Ristolainen. He has heaps of upside offensively, and probably just as much defensively. He's playing pro now, and it would afford us the opportunity to either leave him in Finland to develop there, or bring him over to the AHL. With our depth on the blueline, there's no rush for him.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I haven't seen much of ristolainen but Im really really bough into Nurse's game.

01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

Mantha
Nurse
Erne
Ristolainen

Speed and size. Not just one or the other in my mind. JVR has such potential because he has side in addition to some swift skating.

Nichuskin would be absolutely perfect for Carlyle's system. He has the speed, has the top 6 upside, and definitely has the size. Maybe his defensive game needs work, but I could definitely see him fitting really well in an RC system. He could give defenders absolute nightmares.

Nichuskin, JVR, Kulemin, Lupul (when he's not injured), Frattin (if he takes the expected jump) paired with Kessel, Grabo, Kadri could be deadly. Small shifty skilled centers supplemented with big terrifying skilled wingers.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Hopefully Max Domi gets drafted by us.... So when I move to London next semester, I can watch a Leaf prospect

Old
01-24-2013, 02:22 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Not only shutdown but a nastiness and offensive upside. They don't have Pulock's shot, but I like their all around game more. I could see them as long term Phaneuf replacements. Granted Pulock could be too, but I'm not a huge fan of him. Maybe his injury is hiding his true potential a little but I'm hesitant with him. Just a hunch really (so Pulock fanboys, don't have a cow )

Old
01-24-2013, 02:28 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
That's exactly the reason I'm so high on Ristolainen. He has heaps of upside offensively, and probably just as much defensively. He's playing pro now, and it would afford us the opportunity to either leave him in Finland to develop there, or bring him over to the AHL. With our depth on the blueline, there's no rush for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I haven't seen much of ristolainen but Im really really bough into Nurse's game.
Quote:
Not only shutdown but a nastiness and offensive upside. They don't have Pulock's shot, but I like their all around game more. I could see them as long term Phaneuf replacements. Granted Pulock could be too, but I'm not a huge fan of him. Maybe his injury is hiding his true potential a little but I'm hesitant with him. Just a hunch really (so Pulock fanboys, don't have a cow )
I agree on all accounts boys. If you guys have seen any of my posts you will know that I really consider a top 3 mobile shutdown defender that can play in both ends a big need for us. Nurse and Ristolainen both bring that and bring it well. I think I personally am a bigger fan of Ristolainen, but thats based of limited viewings of both and as I do more research near the draft my opinion could easily change.

I would love to draft either of those two if some of our more obvious needs cannot be satisfied.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:37 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Hopefully Max Domi gets drafted by us.... So when I move to London next semester, I can watch a Leaf prospect
You could watch Ryan Rupert? He's been pretty damn good lately.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:45 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Speed and size. Not just one or the other in my mind. JVR has such potential because he has side in addition to some swift skating.

Nichuskin would be absolutely perfect for Carlyle's system. He has the speed, has the top 6 upside, and definitely has the size. Maybe his defensive game needs work, but I could definitely see him fitting really well in an RC system. He could give defenders absolute nightmares.

Nichuskin, JVR, Kulemin, Lupul (when he's not injured), Frattin (if he takes the expected jump) paired with Kessel, Grabo, Kadri could be deadly. Small shifty skilled centers supplemented with big terrifying skilled wingers.
Nichushkin's is a case where I'd rather take the Canadian kid with similar size and speed. Mantha is going to be a better producer at the NHL level, IMO. He's very similar in size, has great speed for a big kid, and most importantly, hasn't signed a contract to stay over in Russia and play there for the next 3 years.

This is a good year to dip into the QMJHL. So much talent there.

Closed Thread