HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nino seeking trade?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

vCash: 500
*yawn*
just another example of Little Miss Generation Y spilling some fruit punch on her little white dress and now she's tearing up... nothing to see here. basically, this is the knock on the youth today- just like the knock on yesterday's youth- and the yout's before that... it boils down to their inexperience (which, when you think about it, makes sense). if the Isles compete hard over the first 25 games - but can use some additional scoring - they'll promote him. if he does well and the team has success, all will be forgiven.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Actually, Somewhat fittingly, his biggest weakness is his lack of maturity and mental make-up. And obviously this little situation speaks to that. I can't really get into specifics, but trust me, this little news story today did not surprise me in the least.

That said, this whole thing will be forgotten in time, and I think eventually Nino will be that strong winger on the first or second line in the not so distant future.
Why can't you get into specifics?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:00 PM
BKIsles

I can see why Nino was insulted for not being invited to camp... but it was only a week long, who cares? He'll almost definitely get called up at some point this season, and be a full time guy next year. The whole point is to get this guy top 2 line minutes and consistently on the power play. The trade demand is clearly posturing by his agents.

Garth decided to fill the roster with waiver wire players instead of his top prospects, which was actually smart, because if we somehow stay in the hunt down the stretch, he can call up essentially the top line of the Bridgeport team as a 3rd/4th line. They should have fresh legs too because they will not be playing this stupid 48 games in 99 days schedule.

Again though, we are the laughingstock of the league, will this ever end?

BKIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:01 PM
InformTheMasses

I'm just some knucklehead on a message board, and what I have is information from friends close to the team. Not interested in spreading rumors, just letting you know that his immaturity is his biggest weakness at this point, and I wasn't surprised he would do something like this.

Honestly none of the info I have is 'devastating' it's a kid being a kid. But he has to grow up.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Noreaster96

Can we turn this into a GIF thread that shows our disappointment in a humorous way? It will make me feel at least a little better about the whole situation

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:06 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Disappointing when even mods get caught up in fantasy proposals. I'd expect them to be the ones, bringing their fans back to earth.

Omark went thru waivers before bolting to Europe and now because he's tearing up some soft, no contact league, his value has suddenly risen?
You got banned for calling out a bad trade proposal as BS? That's funny in a ridiculous sort of way.

Now Tavares for Hemsky and a second rounder, that's fair.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
BKIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Can we turn this into a GIF thread that shows our disappointment in a humorous way? It will make me feel at least a little better about the whole situation

BKIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
Strang's story:

There has been growing concern about Niederreiter's development since last season. Although the young prospect appeared in 55 games for the Islanders, he was used in a limited role. He managed only one goal, causing many to feel he'd be better off playing with his junior club (since he was 19, he wasn't old enough to be in Bridgeport) and to speculate that the team could be keeping him around for cap purposes (i.e., his entry-level contract bonuses helped the team hover slightly above the cap floor).

Yeesh, Katie, if you're going to take a paragraph to launch criticisms, at least put a source or name to it. Not that it's wrong, but "There has been growing concern..." From whom? "causing many to feel..." Who? If you can't get anyone to say it for the story, then just write a column and say it's your opinion.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
But you don't need all of nino's 1.9 to make the floor. All that was needed was a player at 1m/1m and they make the cap
Dunno. A bird in the hand... maybe the Nino option was easier and cheaper. Maybe they looked for that option and came up empty. They had to find an over 35 player that would agree to that kind of contract. Maybe you can't have $1m in bonuses... I don't know how over 35 contracts worked.

Quote:
, leave niño in Jrs, and save a year off the elc. Logically, niño for cap hit costs the org much more in the long run so its intellectually dishonest.
We don't know what the priorities are. Maybe (considering the backloaded deals they've handed out, it's likely) they are more concerned with spending $1 now than they are $2 later? Maybe they figure Nino wont be ready to break out until after next year anyway, so he'd have no leverage for a big Tavares-type deal and they can get him on a cheaper deal? Who knows... all I know is that all signs point to the Isles abusing those ELCs to hit the cap floor and that the new CBA addresses that specifically, with the Isles being mentioned multiple times as a prime culprit in necessitating the change.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
original islander

Hasn't Brett Connolly been handled the same way? I doubt that Stevie Yzerman would get as much criticism as we are. Perhaps it was just an honest mistake in judging Nino's readiness. After all didn't our people also make a mistake in assessing a veteran like Marty Reasoner.
Plus Blake Comeau was a disaster. If Comeau and Reasoner had played to prior form, Nino would have had better linemates and contributed more. Garth made a simple mistake in rushing him last year and is trying to correct it. Nino is just upset that Johansen and Bartschi are playing regular shifts.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:57 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Strang's story:

There has been growing concern about Niederreiter's development since last season. Although the young prospect appeared in 55 games for the Islanders, he was used in a limited role. He managed only one goal, causing many to feel he'd be better off playing with his junior club (since he was 19, he wasn't old enough to be in Bridgeport) and to speculate that the team could be keeping him around for cap purposes (i.e., his entry-level contract bonuses helped the team hover slightly above the cap floor).

Yeesh, Katie, if you're going to take a paragraph to launch criticisms, at least put a source or name to it. Not that it's wrong, but "There has been growing concern..." From whom? "causing many to feel..." Who? If you can't get anyone to say it for the story, then just write a column and say it's your opinion.

The problem with admitting it's just her opinion is, there has been growing concern that Strang is a lightweight, and many feel that she really isn't all that knowledgable about hockey. Of course, I wouldn't say that, but some do. You know, they.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Knish Of The Crease

Ill give him a chance once he shows the ability to not trip over the blue line on the forecheck.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBilly View Post
a) The Isles completely mismanaged his case since the beginning (50+ games in a non-scoring 4th line at a too young age).

b) Not inviting him to the camp was a big **** you.

c) I hope Nino isn't publicly stating stuff like this, it won't help him.

A proper management would have been a full year in the minors last year and this season an opportunity to play in the two first lines. What do you have to lose? Games? The POs? Nothing.

YES YES YES YES YES....

So Nino at 19 was "good" enough to be up with the big boys earning a big boy salary and riding on planes instead of buses. All at 5 minutes a game.

Now he's older, but in the minors. I mean how freaking backwards is everything this Islanders front office does?

I hate this team because I want to love them so much, but everything they do makes me hate them so much.

It's enough that Snow doesn't speak. I want to know exactly why Nino was kept in the NHL last year and not played as opposed to being developed PROPERTY in the AHL. We all pay money to watch this team and we're entitled to answers. Hell when you own stock you're invited to a stockholders meeting.

I mean it's bad enough that NHL veterans don't want to play for the Isles. Now 20 year old draftees in the Isles organization want out.

I better stop now before I really cross the line with some things I would say about Wang.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
YES YES YES YES YES....

So Nino at 19 was "good" enough to be up with the big boys earning a big boy salary and riding on planes instead of buses. All at 5 minutes a game.

Now he's older, but in the minors. I mean how freaking backwards is everything this Islanders front office does?

I hate this team because I want to love them so much, but everything they do makes me hate them so much.

It's enough that Snow doesn't speak. I want to know exactly why Nino was kept in the NHL last year and not played as opposed to being developed PROPERTY in the AHL. We all pay money to watch this team and we're entitled to answers. Hell when you own stock you're invited to a stockholders meeting.

I mean it's bad enough that NHL veterans don't want to play for the Isles. Now 20 year old draftees in the Isles organization want out.

I better stop now before I really cross the line with some things I would say about Wang.
He wasn't in the AHL last year because he wasn't eligible to be in the AHL last year.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:55 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Pinching pennies as usual. Just like suspending Bailey and Joenssu without pay until they pass a physical for injuries sustained overseas. Shame on them for wanting to stay in game shape for when the season began

Wouldn't you be pissed if you were good enough to play 50 games with the big club last year but then this year didn't even get an invite to camp?

Making 67,000 vs 900,000 is a MASSIVE difference. I'd be irate and would want a trade too. Nothing will change until this owner goes.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:08 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post
Pinching pennies as usual. Just like suspending Bailey and Joenssu without pay until they pass a physical for injuries sustained overseas. Shame on them for wanting to stay in game shape for when the season began

Wouldn't you be pissed if you were good enough to play 50 games with the big club last year but then this year didn't even get an invite to camp?

Making 67,000 vs 900,000 is a MASSIVE difference. I'd be irate and would want a trade too. Nothing will change until this owner goes.
How many 19 year old hockey players make 900k? Maybe he should be happy that the Islanders allowed him to stay up for a year when he should have been in junior and call it even for this season.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Komarov47

bad move Nino. Unproven first round pick with one half good season... Shut up and score goals.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Hasn't Brett Connolly been handled the same way? I doubt that Stevie Yzerman would get as much criticism as we are. Perhaps it was just an honest mistake in judging Nino's readiness. After all didn't our people also make a mistake in assessing a veteran like Marty Reasoner.
Plus Blake Comeau was a disaster. If Comeau and Reasoner had played to prior form, Nino would have had better linemates and contributed more. Garth made a simple mistake in rushing him last year and is trying to correct it. Nino is just upset that Johansen and Bartschi are playing regular shifts.
Let's hope Nino isn't taking Johansen and Baertschi as exemple, cause they would be the real prove he's wrong. Baertschi looks like a boy playing against man and Johansen hasn't show anything yet in on NHL season and one AHL season.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:22 AM
GusTheo

Quote:

Funny that you blame the Islanders for (within their right) suspend 2 players who were injured in NON NHL action, but are giving Nino the benefit of the doubt because he's losing out on money.

I don't really know what to make of this situation. To me it just seems like the Islanders have a very distinct plan for guys like Nino and Donovan (and maybe it wasn't communicated to them properly). Doesn't matter what they would have showed in a one week camp, they wanted them playing significant minutes in the AHL. If you think about it, someone like Nino should be a step ahead of a lot of guys in training camp, he's been playing regularly for the past 2 months.

I expect this to blow over eventually, and I fully expect Nino to continue to develop and be on the Island at some point before the season ends. The good thing is Nino hasn't come out and made any comments himself. The Isles are usually very tight lipped about internal situations, so it seems as if this situation is hopefully under control.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:

Yeah I have a hard time feeling sorry for a 20 year old kid who makes $67,000 to play hockey and if all goes according to plan, will one day become a multi millionaire. Most 40 year olds in this country don't make 67,000 a year.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:53 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komarov47 View Post
Let's hope Nino isn't taking Johansen and Baertschi as exemple, cause they would be the real prove he's wrong. Baertschi looks like a boy playing against man and Johansen hasn't show anything yet in on NHL season and one AHL season.
Thank you for your observation of his 2 ex linemates. I don't take pleasure in them doing poorly but it does support Garth's position for leaving Nino down in Bridgeport.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:55 AM
mirasane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Unhappy with his current situation? He's 20 years old, and he scored 1 stinking goal in the NHL last season. He is right where he belongs in the AHL. In all likelihood he'll be recalled at some point this season. How on earth can he possibly be that unhappy about his situation?
I fully understand Nino. Last season was a disappointment for him. After that he knew how tough league NHL is and how hard he has to work to earn a place from there.

And that is just what he has done: been working and training like crazy. He has made significant progress and has been tearing up AHL this season. Nino has been the best player in Bridgeport and he has showed he has done everything the organization has wanted him to do.

And what is the reward for this? Islanders don't even invite him to the training camp. That send out a message loud and clear and the message is: "Your possible develompent doesn't interest us enough to even take a look". I think he would be ok playing in AHL if he felt he had been given a fair chance to make it to the Islanders roster and he had struggled and was therefore sent down. But this time Nino wasn't even given a chance. He just played at that one scrimmage at the end of the camp and it probably made things even worse because Nino was the best player on the ice that day. He knows he should be up and that it was unfair to not even give him the chance to be there.

Nino & Islanders case is starting to look like the bumby relationship Turris had with Coyotes. And that didn't end well for Phoenix. Hope Islanders find a better solution as Niederreiter's potential exceeds his trade value.

mirasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:57 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

The Islanders needed additional roster space so they could figure out which of the recent pickups will be able to stick in the lineup. They also didn't want to keep Joensuu or Bailey out of play long enough to stick on IR, as the injuries aren't expected to last long enough for that. By suspending Bailey and Joensuu, we can carry 3 scratches, rather than just 1 (since Bailey and Joensuu would be taking up two of the three scratches available). The suspension allows them to keep everyone on the roster until Bailey/Joensuu are healthy enough to play.

Maybe money was a factor, but I rather doubt it, considering that paying the guys taking their place on the roster negates about 80% of the savings.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:28 AM
IslesNorway

Kid's got to learn patience but I wouldn't mind trading him for a good package in return. However, after his horrendous first season how comes he (or the agent) even thinks him good enough for the big time yet?

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:18 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
He is probably frustrated it's a maturity issue and i'm sure this is not as a big of deal seeing we will need him much sooner than later. Bad job of alerting your agent to alert the media though (if it's true) but again just a kid and people mistakes and i will not give up hope on him over this. On a good note apparently other people and even the NHL network has taken notice off this meaning if this was a nobody or someone they felt had no upside or talent it would not be that big of a deal but since a ton of people are asking what we would want for him i'm excited about him being here and in Brooklyn for the next 15 years or so.
To all the posters who want him for undersized dmen and players playing on the 3rd line of their minor league clubs keep dreaming ..wont happen!
On a side note can someone please explain to Pitts fans that a elbow knocked out DP not a punch because every time i see that video it makes me sick they think Johnson hit him with his fist and they are so mistaken.

MM

P.S. watching NHL network right now and this is quoted from Darren Dreger. "the Islanders brass were caught off guard because there were meetings prior to and during training camp and the sense was that he was happy" so everyone saying lack of communication was a issue apparently not!
"I spoke with Garth Snow earlier and we are in no hurry to trade this guy" per Dreger "He is developing well in Bport just not quick enough" and also stated "There going to develop him on their time table not Nino's agents time table"

Last edited by MattMartin: 01-23-2013 at 03:38 AM.
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote