HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

TD Garden Parking: $34

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 08:20 PM
  #101
Scotto74
Moderator
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,348
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBPC View Post
No problem, and I didn't mean to detract from your original point because I agree with you.

Kraft and Jacobs are businessmen. They have the right to charge whatever the hell they want, and we as fans/consumers have the right to pay it or find a viable alternative.

The biggest difference between the two is public perception. Kraft comes off as a fan who happens to own the team. He is seen as a hero, charitable, a good person. A guy who puts everything he has into the team he owns. He's earned that rep, he brought this franchise out of some really dark times and turned them into THE model franchise in pro sports.

Jacobs is seen as a penny pinching curmudgeon who cares about nothing but the bottom dollar, and if his team wins it's an accident/in spite of him.

To an extent these things may or may not be true. But more than anything it illustrates that Kraft understands and/or cares about PR and public opinion far more than Jacobs.
no worries and I agree with you about the perception but I really question how much is true. I mean the Pats are really really hard on their players when it comes to contracts. Just ask Welker, Seymor and many others over the past 10 years who had contract battles with them. The reason they are a model franchise has more to do with winning (Bill B. and Brady) then how they pay their players in my opinion.

__________________
Love the city, hate the Hab™


BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:25 PM
  #102
RSBPC
Registered User
 
RSBPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
no worries and I agree with you about the perception but I really question how much is true. I mean the Pats are really really hard on their players when it comes to contracts. Just ask Welker, Seymor and many others over the past 10 years who had contract battles with them. The reason they are a model franchise has more to do with winning (Bill B. and Brady) then how they pay their players in my opinion.
Definitely true to an extent, one of the problems with having so much talent in a cap world is having to make tough choices. The Pats extend the guys they want (Brady, Wilfork, Mayo, etc.) but it can't be everyone.

Really, a big difference between the two is how they handled lockouts in their sports. Jacobs (allegedly?) was a driving force behind two lockouts that cost the NHL significant games. Kraft was credited as being a voice of reason by friends and foes alike during the NFL lockout, and one of the reasons the NFL didn't lose any regular season games.

RSBPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:25 PM
  #103
schmautzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBPC View Post
You are right about the law but it only applies to residential properties. Just about every store, hotel, car dealership, etc. on Rt 1 use their lots for parking on game days.

Homeowners used to have people parking on their lawns, that is banned now but I never understood people who parked there. It is a looooooooooooooong walk, I guess the upside is parking on a side street and not on Rt 1 avoids the traffic but we tailgate until traffic dies down anyways.
North street is only 15 minute walk to the stadium gate.
Also, There is a neighborhood right behind the commuter rail stop that I have parked in before.

schmautzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:30 PM
  #104
Scotto74
Moderator
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,348
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBPC View Post
Definitely true to an extent, one of the problems with having so much talent in a cap world is having to make tough choices. The Pats extend the guys they want (Brady, Wilfork, Mayo, etc.) but it can't be everyone.

Really, a big difference between the two is how they handled lockouts in their sports. Jacobs (allegedly?) was a driving force behind two lockouts that cost the NHL significant games. Kraft was credited as being a voice of reason by friends and foes alike during the NFL lockout, and one of the reasons the NFL didn't lose any regular season games.
true but Kraft was thought of like this even before the lockout. I rememer them having issues with Wilfork's last contact as well.

The B's extend who they want to. Since chia took over they do it early and do it well but JJ gets no credit for that while Kraft is the man even though they haev training cap contract issues almost every year like the Bruins did under Sinden/OC. I still believe it was 90% sinden 10% Jacobs that was the problem. If it was 90% Jacobs why did so much change when Sinden finally retired. I don't see a guy Like Jacobs changing that much at that age after that many years of doing business. And for that to happen at the same time as new management comes in. Sorry don't buy it.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:32 PM
  #105
pavelich
Registered User
 
pavelich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 571
vCash: 500
NYR fan coming in peace. Will be in the area this wkd for a kids hockey tournament and we're going to the Bruins' game on Friday.
Anyone have a good place to park in the North End that isn't too far a walk to the Garden? Was going to get dinner there before the game and would like to pay less than $34
Usual reasons why we can't just take the T apply (kids, time etc)
Thanks!

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:33 PM
  #106
RSBPC
Registered User
 
RSBPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmautzy View Post
North street is only 15 minute walk to the stadium gate.
Also, There is a neighborhood right behind the commuter rail stop that I have parked in before.
I've never been back there but I'm sure you're right. We take 140 to Rt 1, and when it was allowed there were people on 140 parking cars in their lawns. It always seemed like way to long of a walk, especially in inclement weather.

RSBPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:01 PM
  #107
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
we wee talking B's vs Pats prices. you start adding in concerts and C's it just gets to muddy but I get your point. however even doing that Kraft is up if you add in all the RV's and Bus people thatgo to every game at 125 to 200 a pop. Then you have the fact that you have a choice to park somewhere else at the garden or take the T. You don't have that option at gillette Kraft has the monopoly and charges more no way around it.
You can take the T to gillette. I guarantee that 90% of the people going to the Pats game carpool so they are splitting parking costs. Not so much for the Bruins. Doing some quick math Jacobs will take in roughly $9M in parking if he sells out the Bruins/Celtics/Events for his 1,150 spots - not too shabby for his $1.55M per year lease cost. Its called Gouging. I am all for making a profit but hammering your loyal customers isnt the best business practice in my opinion.

beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:41 PM
  #108
WhalerTurnedBruin55
Registered User
 
WhalerTurnedBruin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
so whats it cost to park in Boston on a regular Monday - Friday?

Whats it cost to park in Foxboro on a regular monday - friday?

Which owner is inflating their parking cost above normal more I wonder.
I love to bash Jacobs as a money grubbing chump, but most parking areas are 3rd party garages, not owned by Jacobs (I could be wrong, I'm sure he could own SOMETHING), but a lot of the parking areas are just local business parking lots.

Those guys upped their prices; i'm sure due to the lost business from a full season, but those are they guys that upped their prices. Blame them.

Also, if there are people willing to pay those prices, they'll keep charging that.

Don't drive, don't pay. Those prices will come down. But that won't happen anytime soon.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:27 AM
  #109
Scotto74
Moderator
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,348
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
You can take the T to gillette. I guarantee that 90% of the people going to the Pats game carpool so they are splitting parking costs. Not so much for the Bruins. Doing some quick math Jacobs will take in roughly $9M in parking if he sells out the Bruins/Celtics/Events for his 1,150 spots - not too shabby for his $1.55M per year lease cost. Its called Gouging. I am all for making a profit but hammering your loyal customers isnt the best business practice in my opinion.
I have never seen someone drive to a Bruins game alone. I think that is few and far between. Always see car loads of people.

Anyway the point is that the parking at the Garden is in line with normal boston parking any day of the week. The parking in Foxboro is inflated over normal parking much more then it is at the garden. What is being charged at the garden is no more Evil then what is happing at foxboro. It is normal business. If JJ is gouging so is Kraft.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:30 AM
  #110
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I have never seen someone drive to a Bruins game alone. I think that is few and far between. Always see car loads of people.

Anyway the point is that the parking at the Garden is in line with normal boston parking any day of the week. The parking in Foxboro is inflated over normal parking much more then it is at the garden. What is being charged at the garden is no more Evil then what is happing at foxboro. It is normal business. If JJ is gouging so is Kraft.
I don't think comparing parking at a football game to parking at a hockey game are equal considering the tailgating opportunities. I've said it alerady, this doesn't make Jacobs evil, but it doesn't mean you can't call a spade a spade.

He is purely a business man and has no concern for his customers. And that is fine.

Your defense of him is so passionate on these baords that you sound as equally invested as the super-hate Jacobs crowd. I don't understand either side when it comes to him.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:35 AM
  #111
Scotto74
Moderator
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,348
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I don't think comparing parking at a football game to parking at a hockey game are equal considering the tailgating opportunities. I've said it alerady, this doesn't make Jacobs evil, but it doesn't mean you can't call a spade a spade.

He is purely a business man and has no concern for his customers. And that is fine.

Your defense of him is so passionate on these baords that you sound as equally invested as the super-hate Jacobs crowd. I don't understand either side when it comes to him.
I defend sound business decissions amd what I feel is good for the long term health of the game I love to watch not JJ himself although most of the time in the past 10 years or so they are one in the same. I feel dirty every time I see myself on the same side as him because I was taught to hate him growing up which is why I feel a lot of people are clouded today when it comes to how he runs the bruins. It is just part of what people were taught, part of the old crowed holding a grude for the old days, and part because it is the "cool" thing to do.

As far as parking I feel it can be compared to football. If I don't tailgate I still have to pay $40 I don't get to pay $34 to just go for the game. When I park in boston on a normal Monday - Friday I pay $25-$30 so for a game it is a tiny bit more. When I park at foxboro monday-friday it is $0-$4 but on game day it is $40. major inflation at one not the other.

point is why is it evil if JJ does it but cool if kraft does?

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:39 AM
  #112
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I defend sound business decissions amd what I feel is good for the long term health of the game I love to watch not JJ himself although most of the time in the past 10 years or so they are one in the same. I feel dirty every time I see myself on the same side as him because I was taught to hate him growing up which is why I feel a lot of people are clouded today when it comes to how he runs the bruins. It is just part of what people were taught, part of the old crowed holding a grude for the old days, and part because it is the "cool" thing to do.

As far as parking I feel it can be compared to football. If I don't tailgate I still have to pay $40 I don't get to pay $34 to just go for the game. When I park in boston on a normal Monday - Friday I pay $25-$30 so for a game it is a tiny bit more. When I park at foxboro monday-friday it is $0-$4 but on game day it is $40. major inflation at one not the other.

point is why is it evil if JJ does it but cool if kraft does?
Saying people only "hate him" because it is "cool" is dismissive. There are plenty of smart, intelligent people on this board that really dislike him.

I don't like him. I defend him sometimes too though because I don't think he is evil, and I do think that following the Thornton trade he deserves credit for getting his **** together.

But you'll never see me get heated about it.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:44 AM
  #113
Scotto74
Moderator
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,348
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Saying people only "hate him" because it is "cool" is dismissive. There are plenty of smart, intelligent people on this board that really dislike him.

I don't like him. I defend him sometimes too though because I don't think he is evil, and I do think that following the Thornton trade he deserves credit for getting his **** together.

But you'll never see me get heated about it.
I didn't say that was the only reason I listed 3 and I am sure there are more. I said some are brought up to hate him, some hold a grudge from years ago and some think its cool please don't say I am only saying its cool to hate him I am not.

I also didn't say you were not smart if you hate him to each their own it has nothing to do with intelligence please don't imply I am saying that.

I am not heated about anything I am more then happy to talk about his business choices and his choices in running the team. As far as parking I have yet to hear a single good argument that say's he is doing anything worse then Kraft or any other sports owner out there that also owns the parking or even private owners that jack up prices during sporting events.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:56 AM
  #114
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
I didn't say that was the only reason I listed 3 and I am sure there are more. I said some are brought up to hate him, some hold a grudge from years ago and some think its cool please don't say I am only saying its cool to hate him I am not.

I also didn't say you were not smart if you hate him to each their own it has nothing to do with intelligence please don't imply I am saying that.

I am not heated about anything I am more then happy to talk about his business choices and his choices in running the team. As far as parking I have yet to hear a single good argument that say's he is doing anything worse then Kraft or any other sports owner out there that also owns the parking or even private owners that jack up prices during sporting events.
You were "raised to hate him so that is why you hate him" is also dismissive.

Holding an old grudge seems perfectly acceptable to me. "Hey, that guy ****ed me as a fan around for decades, a nice run isn't going to make me forget that."

The cool thing I already addressed.

Basically you are saying that any reason to dislike Jacobs is foolish. I am not exactly reaching for that implication. Again, I find it dismissive.

My issue here is not that he can or should, just that it proves my theory that he doesn't give a **** about his fans nor the aggravation of the lockout. At all. It wasn't about saving the league, it was about money. Everything with him is about money.

Again, that is fine.

But the way he gets treated like some benevolent saint to the point I saw someone call him "Mr. Jacobs" is absurd. He cares about money. Not you, not me, not anyone. Money.

This parking thing just further solidifies that.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:56 AM
  #115
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,965
vCash: 500
By the way Scotto, I believe you didn't mean it to sound dismissive. I just think it did.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:59 AM
  #116
beaverjc
Registered User
 
beaverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,473
vCash: 500
Whats left out of this is the State of Mass apparently gave Jacobs a sweetheart deal here. Charging him $1.6m a year for 75 years for an income source that will generate approximately $9M in revenue seems ridiculous. Gotta love it.

I also think Kraft price gouges! I just see the $40 parking fee at Gillette more of a value since you tailgate and actually use the space.


Last edited by beaverjc: 01-23-2013 at 08:04 AM.
beaverjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:01 AM
  #117
Salem13
Registered User
 
Salem13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Salem,Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
You can see two other garages from the Orr statue, if you pay 34$ it is because you wanted to.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:03 AM
  #118
Scotto74
Moderator
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,348
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
By the way Scotto, I believe you didn't mean it to sound dismissive. I just think it did.
if It did I apologize I didn't mean it to come off that way.

Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:28 AM
  #119
Spooner st
Registered User
 
Spooner st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjc View Post
Whats left out of this is the State of Mass apparently gave Jacobs a sweetheart deal here. Charging him $1.6m a year for 75 years for an income source that will generate approximately $9M in revenue seems ridiculous. Gotta love it.

I also think Kraft price gouges! I just see the $40 parking fee at Gillette more of a value since you tailgate and actually use the space.
Any high end business man like Mr.Jacobs that creates tons of jobs, not only in Boston but in North America.

Mr.Jacobs also pays fortunes in taxes to the city of Boston, Mass, US....

Mr.Jacobs like any high end business man on occasion will have a good deal from the city, state, country for their past and future contributions.

From that 9M in revenue Mr.Jacobs will pay half to the city in taxes.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:42 AM
  #120
schmautzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Mr/Ms/Mrs Spooner st makes valid points.
I believe it was Mr. Belichick who said it best..."It is what it is."

schmautzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:47 AM
  #121
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
I think the only complaint can be the timing, coming off the lockout. JJ or Kraft can charge as much as they want. Don't pay it if you don't like it.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
  #122
schmautzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Mr Kraft is biased towards his Revolution fans. He charges them $0 to park.

schmautzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:55 AM
  #123
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmautzy View Post
Mr Kraft is biased towards his Revolution fans. He charges them $0 to park.
I'm sure they take up alot of spaces

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:58 AM
  #124
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,799
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmautzy View Post
Mr Kraft is biased towards his Revolution fans. He charges them $0 to park.
so true- and if the Bruins got eliminated in the 7th game against Montreal (thank you Chara's skate on Cammelleri's series clinching shot- not) the Bruins would be Cupless, probably not selling out and ticket prices and parking would be lower.

My guess is season ticket holders can park for $15

price of success

before the Claude-era they were giving out Bruins tickets if you bought a 5 game pack for Providence (and tickets could be lodge glass), they gave tickets to people in line at the Carnival....I'm sure if they sucked parking would be cheap

They win another Cup $32 will look like a bargain (especially with the Celtics looking like they may be ready to return to tough times)

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:59 AM
  #125
schmautzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I'm sure they take up alot of spaces
Yeah, Combine them with the Umass football fans and they fill the lot in front of the movie theater.

schmautzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.