HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Lewis had his Mowers. Does Claude have his Bourque?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
  #126
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Bourque has slick hands and made a very nice move in the shoutout. Certainly belongs at the top of the rotation.
I can remember when people were complaining b/c Bergeron was a lock for the shootout, or even Krejci.

Same people were usually quiet when Sturm would wake up the elderly man peacefully sleeping in loge. When he shook the glass w/ a 85mph snapshot.

Neely08 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
  #127
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicopee
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I do. Have you seen any Providence games? Have you seen the Bruins power play the past few years? Any PP needs 2 lines. Bourque (and especially Spooner) were great on the PP in Providence. Spooner not to hijack this thread is going to be unbelievable on the PP in time- think Savard meets Samsonov (toned down a bit but still you can see a lot of the dominant hockey skill of both)

Lets find out about Bourque- perfect storm for him, Caron and Knight are both out and these two were the guys Sweeney had along with Bourque for that spot
I have not seen much of Spooner. I am a little anxious to see him now with the Savvy and Sammy comparisons. Do you mean only as a PP specialist or does his whole game remind you of Savvy?

Quaider* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
  #128
Mione134
Registered User
 
Mione134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 10,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Bourque is just filling in until the SEL season is finished and we can unleash the beast.
Now, now let's not get crazy! I don't think people here are ready for it.

Mione134 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  #129
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicopee
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Riddle me this. How's our PP been doing oh the last couple. Of years?

You are grasping here. Unwillingly to consider objective reasons for trying Bourque.
You obviously have some agenda so why not out with it?
The PP has been very weak, you are correct. I can certainly see wanting to try most anything. We even won the cup with a weak PP which was quite surprising. I guess it's not like Claude was tampering with a proven fromula for success! lol

I don't follow the rest of your post?

Quaider* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
  #130
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin4Life View Post
I thought he played pretty well on the powerplay...
He did.

Hard to listen to excuses for why he shouldn't be on the PP. He actually shot a onetimer from an area of the ice we haven't seen in two years. Sadly enough, that's actual progress. He also quickly found seams, giving puck carriers options, and pkers concern.

Neely08 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
  #131
jb8xr170
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Bourque waz good on the PP, but had no business being chosen for the shootout. He's a rookie, let him earn it like everyone else!


Last edited by jb8xr170: 01-22-2013 at 07:42 PM.
jb8xr170 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 07:59 PM
  #132
Ratty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Rive Gauche
Posts: 5,792
vCash: 500
Whom would you rather have in his place, Dorothy Hamill?

Ratty is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
  #133
Spoked-B
Registered User
 
Spoked-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb8xr170 View Post
Bourque waz good on the PP, but had no business being chosen for the shootout. He's a rookie, let him earn it like everyone else!
Someone should really tell that to Claude, since he also put Kessel and Seguin out there as rookies!

Spoked-B is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:13 PM
  #134
Justin St Pierre
Registered User
 
Justin St Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 180
vCash: 500
Bourque earned it. They don't do this blindly.

Plus, I'm sure Julien considered that Bourque could get a real confidence boost out of it for long-term results.

Plus, I'm sure Julien considered that Bourque was hungry to prove himself, and would give maximum effort.

Plus, he has undoubtedly seen Bourque in shootout situations.

Plus, it's not like Bourque Widemanned it.

Plus, they won. If people want to pull out the Trent Whitfield stat as if he lost all those games, well I'm pulling out the Bourque stat to conclude he won all these games.

Justin St Pierre is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:16 PM
  #135
Scotto74
Moderator
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,357
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
Someone should really tell that to Claude, since he also put Kessel and Seguin out there as rookies!
think Seguin and Kessel are both in a different class then Bourque no? They were both picked top 5 in the draft for a reason. Bourque not so much. Krejci had a great shootout % last year so I am a little confused as to why Bourque would get the go over him.

I get we want to put Bourque in all situations to see what he can do but a point is a big deal in a 48 game season. risky move by CJ i think. but then again I hate the shootout anyway.

__________________
Love the city, hate the Hab™


BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:33 PM
  #136
Spoked-B
Registered User
 
Spoked-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
think Seguin and Kessel are both in a different class then Bourque no? They were both picked top 5 in the draft for a reason. Bourque not so much. Krejci had a great shootout % last year so I am a little confused as to why Bourque would get the go over him.

I get we want to put Bourque in all situations to see what he can do but a point is a big deal in a 48 game season. risky move by CJ i think. but then again I hate the shootout anyway.
Different class, sure, but all three are "skill" players. It has nothing to do with draft position (never mind that he was a second rounder, just like the second rounder who took the shot [for the Bruins] before him). I don't get what the big deal is about him taking the penalty shot. It isn't like he's Paille. The guy is a ppg AHL player known for his offense.

Spoked-B is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:52 PM
  #137
Spoked-B
Registered User
 
Spoked-B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southern NH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,131
vCash: 50
OK, folks, here you go:



Start at the 1:05 mark:


Start at the 1:40 mark:

Spoked-B is online now  
Old
01-22-2013, 09:02 PM
  #138
mashmont
Registered User
 
mashmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
I agree that Chris Bourque has not been the best forward on the ice so far this year, he has not been horrible. Only 2 Games into his Bruins debut, it could take a little while to catch his stride.

At first i was a huge skeptic about him, but he truly seems happy to be here fighting for a spot.

The only reason i am hopeful, I don't think it is smart to count a guy out that is fighting for his dream.

mashmont is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 09:08 PM
  #139
Killerbeez
Registered User
 
Killerbeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ellsworth, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
if he can breathe a little life into the powerplay and has the skills to win a shootout here and there, he definitely can fill a role on this team. In a short season, every shootout goal matters.

Killerbeez is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 09:59 PM
  #140
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,532
vCash: 500
ok, so how is chris bourque being compared to mark mowers here? maybe someone can help me. seems pretty ridiculous.

neelynugs is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
  #141
trenton1
Paille Good
 
trenton1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Loge 31 Row 10
Country: Belize
Posts: 6,639
vCash: 500
He's getting a full shot to see what he's got. To be honest I like this method of giving someone a chance. Give them good opportunities and get a definitive answer. It's going to take at least 10 games and, so far, team-wise it is going OK.

If it doesn't work then someone else will get a chance or maybe they will pick someone up at the deadline. Not too much worrying me about the team right now. The 2006-07 team is pretty far back there.

trenton1 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:43 PM
  #142
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton1 View Post
He's getting a full shot to see what he's got. To be honest I like this method of giving someone a chance. Give them good opportunities and get a definitive answer. It's going to take at least 10 games and, so far, team-wise it is going OK.

If it doesn't work then someone else will get a chance or maybe they will pick someone up at the deadline. Not too much worrying me about the team right now. The 2006-07 team is pretty far back there.
Some people miss the days where we actually had something legitimate to complain about. Explains some of the self loathing when it comes to some of our good players. Meanwhile, they were actually talking a/b Lucic and Chara during the Caps broadcast while they got spanked by a tired Jets team.

Neely08 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:02 AM
  #143
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
think Seguin and Kessel are both in a different class then Bourque no? They were both picked top 5 in the draft for a reason. Bourque not so much. Krejci had a great shootout % last year so I am a little confused as to why Bourque would get the go over him.

I get we want to put Bourque in all situations to see what he can do but a point is a big deal in a 48 game season. risky move by CJ i think. but then again I hate the shootout anyway.
Skills are skills, and Bourque is a goal-scorer. You also have Pavelec vs. Rask in a shootout, which is a pretty good time to see what Bourque can do, and give him a chance to get the jitters out of the way. It could prove valuable down the road.

Artemis is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:27 AM
  #144
WhalerTurnedBruin55
Registered User
 
WhalerTurnedBruin55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
The PP has been very weak, you are correct. I can certainly see wanting to try most anything. We even won the cup with a weak PP which was quite surprising. I guess it's not like Claude was tampering with a proven fromula for success! lol

I don't follow the rest of your post?
We had a dismal powerplay. We are trying SOMETHING different. The answer may not be Bourque, but it wasn't what we had going. (unless Marc Savard magically becomes healthy again).

Just from reading the post and comprehension... it sounds like he's accusing you of having something out against Bourque. Which, from this thread, it sounds like you do.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:36 AM
  #145
unifiedtheory
Registered User
 
unifiedtheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burnaby, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That's an odd comment. Krejci's shootout percentage last year was 50 percent, the same as Seguin.
Irrational, unsupported hatred for David Krejci? Here? That would be different. The guy got a 2 day free pass to start last year, after leading the playoffs in scoring. If he won the ****ing Art Ross some here would start a thread immediately wanting him shipped out because his "value would be high".

On topic: I think Bourque has been, well, alright. He adds skill to the 2nd powerplay unit. He is better than our current options (I still think Chiarelli will make some sort of deal).

Hell, he is playing better than Pevvy (who I thought was ****ing atrocious against the Jets).

unifiedtheory is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 06:34 AM
  #146
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
I don't get the fan-love over someone with as little success in the NHL as Bourque has had. And to set high NHL performance expectations due to some success in the AHL especially for a relatively non-exceptional player is probably a bit over the top.

Take a look at his NHL stats: Chris Bourque's Stats on Hockey DB. Over an 8 year career he's appeared in 35 NHL games, 1 goal, 3 assists. And this is the guy who's being compared to Krejci and Peverley, and taking shootouts and quarterbacking PPs?

He's had plenty of shots with plenty of big clubs and he never sticks. There's a reason for that. I get that he's Ray's son, but really that's about it. He'll get his shot with the Bs because he is Ray Bourque's son, but players like him are a dime a dozen and this is very likely his last chance at sticking in the NHL. At the end of the day his stats and history in the league show he's an AHL journeyman who may get occasional trips to the NHL. It's probably best to temper expectations regarding his tenure with the Bruins.

This is apropos to the discussion: hope for the best, expect the worst.

ReggieMoto is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 06:45 AM
  #147
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
I don't get the fan-love over someone with as little success in the NHL as Bourque has had. And to set high NHL performance expectations due to some success in the AHL especially for a relatively non-exceptional player is probably a bit over the top.

Take a look at his NHL stats: Chris Bourque's Stats on Hockey DB. Over an 8 year career he's appeared in 35 NHL games, 1 goal, 3 assists. And this is the guy who's being compared to Krejci and Peverley, and taking shootouts and quarterbacking PPs?

He's had plenty of shots with plenty of big clubs and he never sticks. There's a reason for that. I get that he's Ray's son, but really that's about it. He'll get his shot with the Bs because he is Ray Bourque's son, but players like him are a dime a dozen and this is very likely his last chance at sticking in the NHL. At the end of the day his stats and history in the league show he's an AHL journeyman who may get occasional trips to the NHL. It's probably best to temper expectations regarding his tenure with the Bruins.

This is apropos to the discussion: hope for the best, expect the worst.
Jody Gage-like

ODAAT is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:16 AM
  #148
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoked-B View Post
OK, folks, here you go:



Start at the 1:05 mark:


Start at the 1:40 mark:
I think we all know he's done well in the AHL, it's the NHL and how he does with the Bruins that I care about.

Therick67 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:28 AM
  #149
Scotto74
Moderator
 
Scotto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kingston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,357
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Skills are skills, and Bourque is a goal-scorer. You also have Pavelec vs. Rask in a shootout, which is a pretty good time to see what Bourque can do, and give him a chance to get the jitters out of the way. It could prove valuable down the road.
you saying that Bourque is on the same scoring skill level as Kessel and Seguin in their rookie years? Not even close in my opinion.

edit. There is a reason Kessel was selected 5th overall and Seguin 2nd overall. While Bourque was 33rd overall. Thats due to basic Skill. Bourque may do good in the AHL but so far not in the NHL in terms of being a skilled goal scorer.

Scotto74 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:33 AM
  #150
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Dom - OHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
ok, so how is chris bourque being compared to mark mowers here? maybe someone can help me. seems pretty ridiculous.
I can't Nugs


Dom - OHL is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.