HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jack Edwards

Old
01-22-2013, 09:26 PM
pigpen65

vCash: 500
Jack Edwards was the kid who weighed 105 lbs as a senior in High School and wasn't coordinated enough to tie his shoes without falling over, but was really into sports cards and stats, so going into broadcasting school was the closest he could get to athletics. There's a definite jealousy and a lot of nerd anger that comes out in his announcing.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Justin St Pierre

That's probably not totally untrue, aside from the part where he played soccer.

You can tell a lot about people from how they commentate. When I dabbled in broadcasting, it was pretty obvious my background was in theater.

Jack?

It's pretty obvious he loves hockey, his job, and the Bruins. Those aren't horrible traits for a guy calling Bruins games on the Bruins home feed...

Whine as we all may that we have to hear him, the fact that we can even get a Bruins home feed outside of the Greater Boston Area is something we should be celebrating in a fashion that outweighs our complaints about who that network employs. The alternative is not getting to see the Bruins play the Rangers if you aren't in either of those markets.

Justin St Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
zoA

I keep a link to this GIF for every Jack Edwards thread, guy is ridiculous, lol. I'm not a fan of his, I don't like the way he shows his bias (not that he does show it, but his choice of words). That said, I don't think team broadcasters need to be liked by opposing fans, if Bruins fans like him, that's great.

zoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:16 PM
Darth Bangkok

I don't care if he's biased or not. I just don't like announcers that think they are the entertainment instead of the hockey. The less the announcers say , the better. Unfortunately, it seems that around the league, they all get paid by the word because its hard to find a broadcast where the two people talking don't shut the **** up for two seconds. Edwards is very much in competition for the worst offender though.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Jack Edwards was the kid who weighed 105 lbs as a senior in High School and wasn't coordinated enough to tie his shoes without falling over, but was really into sports cards and stats, so going into broadcasting school was the closest he could get to athletics. There's a definite jealousy and a lot of nerd anger that comes out in his announcing.
...he played soccer at UNH. Division 1 athlete, not too bad in my book.

Jack is great. Ya, I'm a Bruins fan and obviously love him, but he calls a great game.

304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
hopkinsj31

Jack is an animal. Sure he goes over the top every now and then, but you would hardpressed to find a PBP guy on a local broadcast that doesn't.

People don't like Jack because he calls it like he sees and holds nothing back. He has an over the top hatred for the divers, whiners, and guys who who are dirty and chirp nonstop while having their gloves sewed onto their sweaters.

For examples, look up youtube criticisms of Kaleta, Ott, the Habs and the Canucks.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Adam Larsson

at least its better than the passive agressive homerism of the pens announcers..

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:40 PM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanu Reeves View Post
Oh damn you are so right. Look at all those bruins fans on the glass that actually saw it chant at that guy! Crazy. I mean its one thing if a group of dumb fans in the balcony starts a chant over something they didn't see, but these guys saw that!
Oh wait, that's not what happened.

Also, you should get over it already. You have like 15 minute videos about how bitter you are, and you show up in every thread that has a pinch of anti-bruins.
Lol that was more than a bunch of idiots in the balcony

canadiansbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
canadiansbronco

The thing i never understand is people say it's normal and every home team crew is bias wich is true.

But look at Pierre Houde, a great announcer underated because of language, he is bias when he calls ET LE BUT but he doesn't go on retard rants about after games about how the bruins are the royalty that dictate what us poor habs fan should do.

He doesn't scream GET UP and laughs and opposing teams fan base during play, and when one of our guys gets his ass kicked in a fight he doesn't lie out of his but to make us believe he is actually winning...

Old
01-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
He gets too excited when the other team scores.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:03 PM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
Jack is an animal. Sure he goes over the top every now and then, but you would hardpressed to find a PBP guy on a local broadcast that doesn't.

People don't like Jack because he calls it like he sees and holds nothing back. He has an over the top hatred for the divers, whiners, and guys who who are dirty and chirp nonstop while having their gloves sewed onto their sweaters.

For examples, look up youtube criticisms of Kaleta, Ott, the Habs and the Canucks.
But when the bruins do it he never mentions it.....

Old
01-24-2013, 12:48 AM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
hes wayyyyyyyyy better than Mike Haynes/Peter McNabb (Avs Homers) or (IMO) the insufferable Doc Emerick.
You have to be joking comparing Doc to this clown. The definition of class and absolutely 0 bias vs a laughing hyena. Doc is quirky at times and his overuse of some phrases are a little over the top, but to compare him to Jack Edwards is laughable at best.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Budddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
He gets too excited when the other team scores.
ha ha...yeah...i notice that too...

Budddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
He doesn't scream GET UP and laughs and opposing teams fan base during play, and when one of our guys gets his ass kicked in a fight he doesn't lie out of his but to make us believe he is actually winning...
There will only be one who's above all others when it comes to that.

01-24-2013, 03:43 AM
WhiteMandingo
The Epilogue

Sometimes its embarassing to listen to this guy, but the Penguins commentators are still alot worse.

WhiteMandingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:58 AM
topcat986*

The bottom line is they are home team broadcasters who actually get paid to call hockey games. The nimrods complaining about this crap are nuts. Just a hint if Jack calls your team diver or whiners look at your roster player by player and asign them a catagory. I whole heartedly believe Marchant is a dirty li **** but at 28 goals last season he is our little rat. He ain't no avery and glad he is not.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:37 AM
zeykshade

When the M*******s were looking for an announcer for their M******* team, God gave them the biggest M******* he could find.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Jack Edwards rewls.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I think "bias" is the most incorrectly used word on HF. Bias isn't something you are, it's something you have. Every time I see someone say "I am bias" it looks like saying "I am table". No, no you are not!

/end rant

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:28 AM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Edwards is like Rick Jeanneret: either you love him or hate him.

Personally, I used to hate him, then realised that whenever I had to watch the home broadcast between Bruins/Devils, I was more interested in the game because of his calls and commentary. His commentary grew on me.

He's passionate, and actually knows his stuff.

ZajacsShakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:30 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

I'm a Boston fan, and I can't stand him. That being said, I know a lot of people who do.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth

MOMMY! HELP!

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:27 PM
marioni

He's biased, but very very entertaining. I bet Bruins fans love him

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:28 PM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBruins View Post
Sometimes its embarassing to listen to this guy, but the Penguins commentators are still alot worse.
Errey is good

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:42 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
1. Marchand
2. Seguin
3. Thomas
4. Thornton
5. Peverley
6. Ference
7. Chara

Search youtube if you need examples.
A Canuck fan wants a diving argument? Holy **** man, stop it.

I counter with (from the 2010/11 Canucks roster) Kesler (the king of the flop), Burrows, Sedin, Sedin, Lapierre, Luongo, Ehrhoff, Raymond, Hansen, Ballard...the list never ends. Your team made it to a Final by diving, *****ing to officials and then scoring on the powerplay.

We get it. You despise the Bruins. They ruined your teams coronation. They stole your dreams and assumptions. Canuck fans had the parade route planned. "The Bruin defense is terrible, Dennis Deidneberg is their #2 and he would not make our top 6" and "Should we lose a game in boston on purpose so we win the Cup on home ice" and "All they have is Tim Thomas" were things I heard from Canuck fans on this board and in this city leading up to that Final.

You LOST the 2011 Final. Your team got their ***** handed to them in 4 of 7 games while squeaking out wins in games 1,2 & 5. You can whine and scream from the rooftops about your team being hard done by, none of it matters.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote