HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Scott Laughton

Old
01-21-2013, 07:13 PM
toughfighter83*

vCash: 500
courts, read, schenn, jake were good when jagr was here because they werent getting alot of pressure on the lines, now he's gone and i guess briere not being here is adding pressure on them it's causing them to struggle.

i still think Laughton should be here and on the fourth line, schenn on the third line, courts on the second line with briere on the wing. probably with jake on the first but this team needs a first line winger.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:25 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
courts, read, schenn, jake were good when jagr was here because they werent getting alot of pressure on the lines, now he's gone and i guess briere not being here is adding pressure on them it's causing them to struggle.

i still think Laughton should be here and on the fourth line, schenn on the third line, courts on the second line with briere on the wing. probably with jake on the first but this team needs a first line winger.
This, pretty much.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
If we were to miss the playoffs, and if we were to move Timonen and Briere, do ytou think we could get a first for each at the deadline?
I would be surprised if there were a lot of 1st rd picks moved this year. Ever where I read this draft is being compared to 2003 as far as quality and quantity.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would be surprised if there were a lot of 1st rd picks moved this year. Ever where I read this draft is being compared to 2003 as far as quality and quantity.
Eh, but if a team thinks they are going to win it, a late 25-30 first (or in our hope an early 1st round loss) isnt much to them.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, but if a team thinks they are going to win it, a late 25-30 first (or in our hope an early 1st round loss) isnt much to them.
Hey I would love. Even if the Flyers don't tank, I think it would be beneficial to try and trade to get another 1st even if it cost a current player. The Flyers need a high end scoring winger and a top paring defensemen and I think both will be available in the back half of the 1st round.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Well, we knew Jagr wouldn't be around forever. Late last year, Jagr needing that kind of ice time was supposedly what held back guys like Read and Voracek.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:48 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

this kid is looking excellent, has some awesome moves too in the devils game

what a fantastic pick

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:50 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Wish we can draft D men like him.......heck wish we draft, trade for, sign or develop a D man and a goalie similar to the way we get forwards...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
kid is looking very good, he has impressed me this whole season. I still wish we had gotten Tom wilson however.....even if the board would have revolted against that pick. Wilson is tearing it up in the ohl.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:32 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Wish we can draft D men like him.......heck wish we draft, trade for, sign or develop a D man and a goalie similar to the way we get forwards...
The problem isn't our development of picks, the problem is NOT having picks.

We traded Pitkanen young, but he's been an ok NHLer, we traded Sbisa after a cup of coffee, and he's at least playing for the Ducks.

No more trades, just draft please....

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:43 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
kid is looking very good, he has impressed me this whole season. I still wish we had gotten Tom wilson however.....even if the board would have revolted against that pick. Wilson is tearing it up in the ohl.
I still take laughton 100/10. Kid has been our 3rd or 4th best forward so far. Looks like a solid nhler. Makes some of our forwards expendable in the future

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:57 AM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Pretty sad how he looks like our best forward out there.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:08 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
not sure what they are going to do with the kid once Briere is ready to go.
You just have to ask is he going to benefit from playing 10 minutes or less here on first line minutes in junior.
Briere coming back likely means 4th line minutes for the kid.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:17 AM
NjDevsRR

Went to the game and just wanted to tell you guys he was the most noticeable Flyer out there. The kid looks good.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:47 AM
jimmycarter

thiefs! give him back to the GENS! we need him for the OHL.

saw him play in Oshawa December 28th and he was a man amongst boys. He has always impressed me.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Not sure I'd call 58th in league scoring "tearing it up". Especially when you consider games missed by the WJ players. Laughton has been great. I still wish we'd have taken Maata. I think they're both good picks, we just need D more than another forward.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Tripod

As good as he has looked, I think we should send him back. Let him develop his offence more. Save the ELC at least 1 more year. I would rather he come back in 2 years and have a bigger impact on the team. Being a bigger, stronger, faster #3 C behind G and Couts. If he is going to be a 4th liner this year...get in a Dominic Moore Type. We have too much relying on kids as it is.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
1.09 ppg in the OHL is not tearing it up. Our own Nick Cousins is 2nd in OHL scoring with a 1.54 ppg. Wilson is not close to tearing up that league.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:06 PM
toughfighter83*

does laughton have a heavy shot?

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
does laughton have a heavy shot?
Not at the moment.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
I still take laughton 100/10. Kid has been our 3rd or 4th best forward so far. Looks like a solid nhler. Makes some of our forwards expendable in the future
I have admit after seeing him play here I do not see what the benefit of him going back to junior would be. Scott has been one of our better forwards so far this season and I think he has earned a place up here with the big boys.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:14 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I have admit after seeing him play here I do not see what the benefit of him going back to junior would be. Scott has been one of our better forwards so far this season and I think he has earned a place up here with the big boys.
The benefit would be him playing 20 minutes a night in all situations rather than 8 minutes a game and playing no special teams. I don't think their is any doubt he could hold his own in a limited role this year, but I think you seriously risk stunting his development by doing so.

There have been tons of guys over the years who we can look back at and say they were brought up way too early and it hurt their development. How many times have we said a player was in juniors too long and it hurt his development? Not many.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
HyPnOtiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
The benefit would be him playing 20 minutes a night in all situations rather than 8 minutes a game and playing no special teams. I don't think their is any doubt he could hold his own in a limited role this year, but I think you seriously risk stunting his development by doing so.

There have been tons of guys over the years who we can look back at and say they were brought up way too early and it hurt their development. How many times have we said a player was in juniors too long and it hurt his development? Not many.
Tbh I was pissed when we skipped over Maattaa... In hindsight Laughton is looking good ( still think I'd take maattaa out of needs) but Laughton is currently playing the exact role flyers staff expected him to play on this team after full development.. He was supposed to pass schenn/coots/Giroux. And with wingers hartnell, jake,Simmonds, briere and schenn converting to wingers there's no room on the top 6 for him now or the future... With Harts injury I see laughton staying, it would have been hard for them to send him back even if hartnell wasn't hurt

HyPnOtiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:02 PM
GTopCheese

There is no way we're going to send him back down. Think our offense is bad now? No Hartnell or Laughton would be pretty atrocious at this point unless if they're already considering tanking.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
There is no way we're going to send him back down. Think our offense is bad now? No Hartnell or Laughton would be pretty atrocious at this point unless if they're already considering tanking.
If that were the case our lineup would be

Simmonds-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Briere-Schenn
Talbot-Couturier-Fedotenko
Rinaldo-Wellwood-Sestito/McGinn

I don't think they'd have to PLAN to tank in that case...

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote