2013 Australian Open

Old
01-22-2013, 07:48 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Come on. How much of a factor do you really think that is going to be for Nole in this instance?
What? Having two days off? It's not like he hasn't come out flat in matches when we'd least expect it over the past year. Quite the opposite in fact.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
kihei

vCash: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
What? Having two days off? It's not like he hasn't come out flat in matches when we'd least expect it over the past year. Quite the opposite in fact.
Though I doubt having two days off has necessarily been the contributing factor. You don't need the additional day to come out flat.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
kihei

Serena versus Stephens. Some people seem to be expecting this to be a competition. What a quaint idea....Though two (unrelated) US black women playing against each other deep in a Grand Slam is certainly cause for celebration.

Last edited by kihei: 01-22-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Though I doubt having two days off has necessarily been the contributing factor. You don't need the additional day to come out flat.
It has been significant in the past.

Some have suggested that the extra two days off at the 2011 RG when Fognini retired from the QF contributed to his loss against Federer.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:36 PM
kihei

Quote:
It has been significant in the past.

Some have suggested that the extra two days off at the 2011 RG when Fognini retired from the QF contributed to his loss against Federer.
Maybe. But this is the sort of thing where tennis could use the same sort of scrutiny that somebody like Bill James provides in baseball. I'd like to see the statistical evidence about this, not to mention an equally rigorous approach to a few other assumptions in tennis.

Thoughts on Sloane Stephens?

Old
01-22-2013, 08:45 PM
kihei

3-3 in the first and only two points lost on serve between Serena and Sloane combined....but quickly Serena prevails 6-3. She doesn't look quite ready to cede her place to any phenom....

One looping forehand too many and Sloane is broken at the start of the second set...but she shows some spunk and breaks back, 3-2 Stephens...the kid almost gets another break, then Serena, serving down the centre, gets herself out of trouble....Sloane looked very confident in that service game. If she gets Serena to break concentration, not exactly an impossible thing to do, she may be able to steal this set...with Sloane's confidence building by the stroke, Serena looks like she has pulled a muscle or something. Sloane is really coming on and Serena is off her game, 5-3...with the set on her racket, Sloane visibly tightens and she loses serve, 5-4. Serena must feel that as a reprieve from the gods. She's hurting but she's only three game from ending this thing....injury time out for Serena whose back is bothering her....so if you were writing a novel about women tennis players, could you come up with a better name than Sloane Stephens? I don't think so....This is developing into quite a long delay...easy game for Serena who looks like she could use it, 5-5...rookie errors beginning to hurt Sloane who is going for too much too often...but suddenly Stephens stiffens and toughs it out, 6-5. If she stays at this most recent level, she will win the set....and Stephens immediately gets the break and the set, though more thanks to Serena's errors than her own strong play.

Shades of Ferrer/Almagro last night? How bad is Serena's back? I'm sure she wanted to win in two, now it becomes more problematic...Huge, huge hold for Sloane at the start of the third set. She gives Serena no cause for confidence...Serena holds for 1-1. I'm not crazy about Sloane's wristy forehand. Too many moving parts, 2-1, Sloane....Serena is definitely not at 100%, but 19 years old is 19 years old, Williams has to hang in there... and she ekes out a hold on experience alone. It's like the old lion versus the young lion at the moment. Who was that idiot back there a ways who was dissing on women's tennis? This is great fun despite all the unforced errors...Stephens holds for 3-2....Serena needed help from Sloane to win that game and she got it, 3-3...great point from Serena gives her the edge in this game if only briefly...now break point...but the kid saves two break points...and a third...brilliant backhand return of serve gives Serena another break point...and she finally gets the break, 4-3 Serena to serve...weak game from Williams gives the break right back, 4-4...serving first should be a huge advantage here for Stephens if she can only take advantage of it...great play from both women at the moment...and Sloane finally manages the hold for 5-4. Pressure and a bad back. Not ideal....two match points for Stephens, and she only needs one. Great win for Sloane.

I could not have been more wrong before the beginning of the match. I thought Sloane was empty hype. But she was coming back even before Serena's back flared up. Kudos to both players, Serena for almost gutting it out, Sloane for being inexperienced but still persevering. She could have a very bright future indeed.

Match of the tournament so far, easily.

Last edited by kihei: 01-22-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
I think if he's given a tough challenge tomorrow, two days might be good. If not, yeah, it can be a little worrisome. He's a professional (and a champion) so I'm sure he won't allow the extra rest to become a factor.

Anyways, let's first beat Ferrer. Haha.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
This will be disappointing if Sloane can't take this set.

She got the 2nd, nice job!

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Serena in physical trouble too apparently. She can probably still tough this match out. Hopefully not.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:54 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Serena in physical trouble too apparently. She can probably still tough this match out. Hopefully not.
Agreed, seems it's her back, just going to take a little bit for the pain pills to kick in.

Gutsy hold there for Sloane to get to 5-4, wow. And she breaks her for the win! Congrats Sloane!

Last edited by 17futurecap: 01-22-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
MsWoof

Ding, dong, the witch is dead, the wicked witch is dead!!!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Wild. Didn't figure Serena losing here to anyone except maybe Vika. She (Azarenka) and Sharapova must be licking their chops right about now.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Garo

This pleases me.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
17futurecap

Will have that mute button ready if it's Sharapova and Azarenka in the final.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Wow. First time I've watched more than a couple of games of Stephens play. Good stuff. Serena really picked up her game that last set and Stephens still stayed ahead of her. The net play, the defense, the returning, the ability to find sharp angles off the ground - really classy play from her.

Hype machine will really pick up now.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
bruinsfan46

Always glad to see Serena lose. Nice performance by Sloane.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
kihei

And a tip of the fedora to women's tennis. That was great drama and great entertainment. Extremely gutsy play on both sides.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Cruiser008

What an amazing match! Who says womens tennis can't be exciting?

Dunno how far Stephens will progress this year. But with her all-court game and mental toughness, she has all the tools to be the next big star in womens tennis.

Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Congratulations to Sloane Stephens! Amazing.

Two incredible women.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:06 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Congratulations to Sloane Stephens! Amazing.

Two incredible women.
Exactly. She may have lost the match, but I hope Serena earned some respect around here.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:07 PM
kihei

Chardy/Murray. This feels like I could catch some sleep, but here I am. But, still, no surprises, surely. Okay, everybody who thought Chardy would make it to the quarterfinals, raise your hands.

2-0 with only a little fuss...after a second break, Andy gives one of them back with a horrible game, but it will take more than that for Chardy to convince Murray that he is a legitimate threat, 4-2....Murray takes the first set. Good play from Chardy, but nothing that suggests that he can impose his will on the match.

Last edited by kihei: 01-22-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Hopefully Chardy can continue his winning streak against Murray here.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Hopefully Chardy can continue his winning streak against Murray here.
Boy, that would be awesome, but I wouldn't mind Roger/Murray clash again. 6 hour match would be perfect. (And yes, I know... in the past, matches like these haven't hindered players' performance in the final)

EDIT: Murray up 4-1. This will be a very quick match. Under 2 hours, I predict.

WOW. Stephens won. I am shocked right now. Good news for Vika, I guess.

Double EDIT: Chardy just broke Murray. Maybe I spoke too soon about the length, but Murray should easily pull it out.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Boy, that would be awesome, but I wouldn't mind Roger/Murray clash again. 6 hour match would be perfect. (And yes, I know... in the past, matches like these haven't hindered players' performance in the final)

Unlike certain unnamed players, Federer doesn't waste enough time between points to play a six hour match. Not with Murray at least.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:

Unlike certain unnamed players, Federer doesn't waste enough time between points to play a six hour match. Not with Murray at least.
You could've just said the name.