HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets @ Capitals . 1.22.13. 7PM

Old
01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Just finished watching the game on tape delay. Real sloppy and unenthusiastic play for two periods. Clearly overthinking things, especially on the forecheck. Winnipeg capitalized on our mistakes, but Pavelec bailed them out of theirs. And it certainly didn't help that we had way more mistakes.

Really liked Wolski's game. The Wolski-Ribeiro-Brouwer line is excellent in the offensive zone (though they struggled to get out of the defensive zone a couple times). Wolski is looking like a real good pick up so far. I've been as staunch a supporter of Johansson as anyone, but his first two games have been pretty awful. I'd be willing to try Wolski on the 1st line until MoJo can work out of his funk.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:14 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Kidding aside, the Capitals looked a lot like the Jets did in their home opener. I think this is a bit of a trend this year - having a hard time in your home opener.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Not true... The jets were still attacking (although to a lessee extent) and even though they may have been sitting back a bit, that's not a reason that the Caps forecheck would suddenly become effective. In the 3rd the Caps actually forechecked in waves and won one on one battles.
I'm sure the Jets energy level was pretty low in the 3rd as it was their 3rd game in 4 nights and also the 2nd of a back to back.
Not that impressive that the Caps were able to get 17 shots in the 3rd.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Halpysback

Just finished watching on DVR. This is what I got from it

1. Ovechkin and Backstrom need to be split up. The way things are going right now Backstrom is suffocating Ovechkin's game and Ovechkin isn't helping Backstrom's.

2. If we're not splitting up Ovechkin and Backstrom, put Ovechkin back on LW until Laich heals at least. I did not anticipate how much Backstrom would be lost with Ovechkin at RW. It seems like he's reflexively spending half a second looking for Ovie at LW and by the time he adjusts the play has gone by. Biggest issue I saw with Ovechkin's game was how slow his line was to get him the puck when they were in transition. If you want to run and gun, that puck needs to be on his stick the moment we gain possession. I'm not fully willing to give up on Ovie at RW but right now it would probably be best to put everyone in their natural state as much as possible just to get our feet under us.

3. We have to put Johansson at center, at least until he recoups enough value to be tradeable for a core piece that fits what we're trying to accomplish better. He's a complete waste at wing and is on a path to a Wolski-ish career there (pre 2013 rebound Wolski).

Lines I'd go with

Ovechkin Ribeiro Brouwer
Wolski Backstrom Fehr
Chimera Johansson Ward
Hendricks Perreault Beagle

4. Orlov can't get healthy soon enough. Hopefully Oates lets him play as a RD and doesn't blindly try to shove a square peg into a round hole

5. With Burke having been fired McPhee has become the most directionless GM in the league. He thought we were at the top in 2010, done with the rebuild, and has been tinkering and flailing around since then. This is like if the Kings think they're finished with the rebuild in 2010 and sign a bunch of complementary crap instead of going for Mitchell, Penner, Richards and Carter in the coming years. We have one guy who can snipe, maybe 2 if Fehr surprises (1 on the roster right now), so we're reduced to playing a garbage game with... Wolski, Brouwer, Johansson and Chimera as supporting wingers. Every single goal we've scored has been point blank. If that's how you wanna go, you better have Hartnell, Smyth and Perry in your top 6. Ovechkin aside, no other team in the league has such an unholy combination of flaky and offensively inept rounding out their wings.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Carlzner

****ing awful game, they played terrible and they were also boring as hell.

Rebuild already.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:13 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Fehr doesn't belong that high up or on the roster at all unless on the 4th line. Even there is pushing it.

The lines will look like this on Thursday, I can guarantee you:

Wolski, Backstrom, Ovechkin
Brouwer, Ribeiro, Johansson
Perreault, Beagle, Chimera
Ward, Hendricks, Crabb

Alzner, Carlson
Erskine, Green
Hamrlik, Kundratek

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Not true... The jets were still attacking (although to a lessee extent) and even though they may have been sitting back a bit, that's not a reason that the Caps forecheck would suddenly become effective. In the 3rd the Caps actually forechecked in waves and won one on one battles.
Sure the Caps showed a little something...mostly due to the Jets sitting back...it was pretty clear early in the 3rd.

6.020 gaa
.824 save %

70 looking solid early.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Fehr doesn't belong that high up or on the roster at all unless on the 4th line. Even there is pushing it.

Ward, Hendricks, Crabb

Alzner, Carlson
Erskine, Green
Hamrlik, Kundratek
Perhaps it would be wise to at least see what he's capable of? If he still has his wrist shot he's the 2nd best shooter after Ovechkin. He certainly doesn't belong on the 4th line, it's top 6 or bust. Perhaps Backstrom needs the Crosby treatment of playing with scrubs that will defer to him and being the go to guy on his line. Fehr probably isn't any worse than Wolski and Wolski hasn't been bad.

Johansson at wing is a failure on many levels. Erskine in over Poti who has actually been decent? What the hell is that bottom 6 even supposed to do

Old
01-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

0-2 start. Clearly it's time to blow the team up and rebuild!

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Caps have a new system, a new coach, 2 new top 6 forwards & had 0 defencemen play hockey during the lockout.

with a reduced training camp and no pre-season games, this severely limits the amount of on-ice development the team has been able to do.

the PK being the biggest example.

Im disappointed in our start but its really not unexpected.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:25 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Hendricks...

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
0-2 start. Clearly it's time to blow the team up and rebuild!
I think it's more the fact that this team has no chance in hell at the cup the way it is constructed.

Bad start and lockout are merely convenient excuses to go through with the surgery.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:44 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Perhaps it would be wise to at least see what he's capable of? If he still has his wrist shot he's the 2nd best shooter after Ovechkin. He certainly doesn't belong on the 4th line, it's top 6 or bust. Perhaps Backstrom needs the Crosby treatment of playing with scrubs that will defer to him and being the go to guy on his line. Fehr probably isn't any worse than Wolski and Wolski hasn't been bad.

Johansson at wing is a failure on many levels. Erskine in over Poti who has actually been decent? What the hell is that bottom 6 even supposed to do
Poti is a -3 and has been far from decent.

Time to give Erskine a game at least and see if it improves. Maybe Schultz if you have to. I think they'll use Poti the majority of the year as a plug but I don't like him there.

Johansson is going to be put as wing because they don't have a spot for him at Center now with Ribeiro. Monumental mistake by McPhee. At least make him the 3rd line Center if you feel he can't play the 2nd line.

But like I said, they'll go with that lineup and likely start Michal Neuvirth. Sorry didn't pay attention to goalie starters there. He will start.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:22 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post

Ward, Hendricks, Crabb

Alzner, Carlson
Erskine, Green
Hamrlik, Kundratek
What if they don't?

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:40 AM
PSUCapsFan

I think they need time to get used to the system. Maybe the Jets were just tired but we looked good in the third. TBH i though OV looked better today than he did for 80% of last season.

Ribs was a great pickup, hope we can extend him. Really wish we kept Semin. Could you imagine the stuff Ribs+Semin would pull off? Legit 2nd line right there...

Wolski looked alright except for that lead pass he attempted that was way off the mark and ruined a 3 on 2.

If anyone is getting traded i hope it's Laich. Man is he overpayed/rated.

Not giving up on this team after 2 games under a brand new system/coach.

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:08 AM
PSUCapsFan

Watching the replay on centerice. Locker is in rare mid season drinking form. He's making fun of Joe for listening to Bieber

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:41 AM
nautikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
I wonder how those season ticket cards worked out tonight. #cheapted
Terribly. The lines to get in were at least 75 people long for each set of doors at 6:40, and this was at the side entrance by Chipotle. Last year there would be maybe 10-15 people in line at peak times. I don't even want to know what it was like at the main entrance.

I am not sure if any thought went into how STHs would enter the building with the new system, because even a middle schooler would have realized the system would slow the entrance process to a crawl for STHs. The ticket agents have to swipe the card and then wait for the set of tickets to print out. Compared with simply scanning individual tickets and waiting for the confirmation sound, the new process is much less efficient. Though it only takes around 5 seconds for each STH to complete the swipe/print process, the cumulative effect of hundreds of STHs at each entrance over a short time period causes large delays.

They should have used a smartphone-based system like the QR code boarding passes, or at least used RFIDs in the cards to eliminate the need to swipe.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:37 AM
Niedermayor

after I watched last night game against Jets,

All I can say is that the best hockey in DC is gone!
sad for our fans.
ovi will not be original ovi anymore.

Niedermayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:34 AM
G3 LesPaul

Wolski has been our best player. Sad

Ribs just looks misplaced.

Top line is invisible

Green still sucks.

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

so much talk over system is funny. sad really. no system in the world would make this bunch of heartless, soft, overpaid and extremely overrated group of players any good as a team. ovechkin is terrible, TERRIBLE and he makes $10m - LOL!!! marcus f'ing johansson, a garbage player, is masquerading as a 1st liner. ribeiro is a giant crybaby and soft bidge. his linemate is a min wage turd. the bottom 6 wouldnt know grit if it spat up from the road and hit them in the face. the defense is among the softest and worst in the league at actually playing defense. holtby might be good someday but now he's just LOLTBY.

this is a bad, bad, bad team. poorly constructed and it shows every single period. outscored by 6 goals by 2 non-playoff teams, hahaha. wow.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
so much talk over system is funny. sad really. no system in the world would make this bunch of heartless, soft, overpaid and extremely overrated group of players any good as a team. ovechkin is terrible, TERRIBLE and he makes $10m - LOL!!! marcus f'ing johansson, a garbage player, is masquerading as a 1st liner. ribeiro is a giant crybaby and soft bidge. his linemate is a min wage turd. the bottom 6 wouldnt know grit if it spat up from the road and hit them in the face. the defense is among the softest and worst in the league at actually playing defense. holtby might be good someday but now he's just LOLTBY.

this is a bad, bad, bad team. poorly constructed and it shows every single period. outscored by 6 goals by 2 non-playoff teams, hahaha. wow.
A shining beacon in a sea of darkness.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:22 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Halps beat me to it, I want to see MJ tried at his natural position. He was not an NHL winger when we drafted him, and he still is not. His game is speed, and strong defensive instincts, not board work and finishing. Center a checking line and work the PK - get him into a place to contribute.

Lines need to be assembled top down so it was nice to Oates move up WW. I am fine with splitting up Ovi and Nick but I give them another game with a NHL proven top line winger before giving up. They scored in the first using forehand passes, and looked ok in the 3rd.

Other randoms, Beagle looks strong driving the offside wing. Stronger than Ovi did on his LW rushes last night. I wonder how much Green weighs. Guaranteeing MP will be at LW next game is worth a laugh. Dogging Hendricks for stealing that pass for Ovi is worth a laugh too. That back checking forward may have as likely snagged that pass, as Ovi would have scored. Ditch our PK already. Do not wait 3 years to try something different - how about high pressure on the puck.

WW Nick Ovi
Ward Ribs Fehr
Chim Beagle Bro
Hendy MJ Crabb

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:13 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
That goalie equipment is worth way less than $5,000.00, so Ted wins.

Joke's on you, Ferraro.
I know this because my son (a top-level travel player) was both a forward and a goalie at one time.

Ferrero is quite right... the professional level skates alone (goalie skates are different than forward & D-Man skates) can cost a few thousand dollars.

It's not a cheap sport.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I make it a point to not complain about calls, but that's a penalty? Goodness.
If you truly live in NY, you're watching Cap's games in your living room. Who would you complain to? Think you slipped up, there.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
A.) What exactly do you think teams are going to cough up for him?

B.) You do sound stupid, because you don't even know how good this kid is going to be. With next to no leverage because of where he plays, plus the fact that most scouting reports and top prospect lists I've seen having Kuznetsov higher than Tarasenko, over the past few years, why trade him for bunk and then watch him be better? His value is significantly higher for Washington than anyone else at this point.

C.) Why does it have to be Forsberg or Kuznetsov when it's better to have both?
In fairness to the OP, his point is that you sometimes have to give up a high quality player for a few lesser quality players where there is an extreme need.