HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks 3, Blues 2

Old
01-22-2013, 11:14 PM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

vCash: 500
Props to Crow for stopping some tough point blank chances.

SchruteFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:15 PM
BronYrAur

Crawford's performance tonight really gives me a bit of hope. Obviously it's just one game but it was a good one. The 1st goal was just a terrible change and a big mistake by Leddy. Leddy turned that play from a 3-on-3 to a 2-on-1. Ugh.

Hawks had a nice night but Leddy made more of the mistakes you saw out of him last year. Hammer very good again tonight. Looks very solid so far.

And as everyone has said, Saad looks pretty good. IMO at this point he might be well-suited to playing on 3rd line with, say, Kruger/Stalberg with shifts on the 1st line as well. His defense and forecheck game have been very impressive.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Recoil

Just got back from the game, here are some of my thoughts from the low 300 level:

- Both teams were playing pretty sloppy at times, especially St Louis.
- St Louis beat us to the puck a LOT. They didn't play like a team that had an OT game last night.
- Crawford was pretty solid when he stayed in net. He made a LOT of poor decisions when he tried to play the puck though. Scared the hell out of me.
- I actually thought Bickell played OK tonight.
- Shaw still hasn't figured out the C position at the NHL level yet. He's struggling.
- It's clear these guys aren't quite in game shape yet. A lot of "I thought you were gonna get it" plays.
- Another sign the Blues aren't in mid-season form: We get a 3 on 0 breakaway about 7min in that Kane puts in the back of the net with ease. 3 on 0.
- Seabs had a few chances to lay the lumber tonight and didnt.
- Bollig's fight was LOL. Clearly done to try to get the fans into it, but the fight was kinda lame and they both gave up at the end.
- Saad looked pretty good for the most part. Can't wait for him to finally put one in the net.
- Stalberg looking decent as well --- at least as good as he was last year which was a pleasant surprise. Still a couple bone-headed plays, but more sound than last season IMO.
- Crowd wasn't into it most of the game, which was surprising for the home opener. Perhaps because we got up 3-0 and it was a back and forth game, but at least when StL got back into it and it was close, crowd responded.

Off to a great start this season. Hope we can keep it up!

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

The Hawks really seemed to lack any push after the 1st period. They weren't moving their feet, they weren't supporting each other in their zone.. I think after the 1st they thought they'd just get chance after chance and then STL tightened up and started to exploit the Hawks cheating up the ice.

All-in-all though, I thought it was a decent game by the Hawks and they obviously did enough to win the game. Crawford was really good late in the third when STL was pushing for OT and overall had a strong game.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:26 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Hawks are 3-0, Stalberg and Kruger are playing well. Soon there will be nothing to argue about.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Crawford and Saad were the standouts for me tonight. Everybody else was solid as well.

Wish they wouldn't have let off the gas so much in the 3rd. Right after that third goal they really slowed down and gave up on the transition game that resulted in the first 3 goals and just tried to lock it down defensively. We got the win but I would've liked to see them step on St. Louis' throats.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Espies333s

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Hawks are 3-0, Stalberg and Kruger are playing well. Soon there will be nothing to argue about.
Crawford needs a shut out and then everyone will be content.

Espies333s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:45 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Crawford's performance tonight really gives me a bit of hope. Obviously it's just one game but it was a good one. The 1st goal was just a terrible change and a big mistake by Leddy. Leddy turned that play from a 3-on-3 to a 2-on-1. Ugh.

Hawks had a nice night but Leddy made more of the mistakes you saw out of him last year. Hammer very good again tonight. Looks very solid so far.

And as everyone has said, Saad looks pretty good. IMO at this point he might be well-suited to playing on 3rd line with, say, Kruger/Stalberg with shifts on the 1st line as well. His defense and forecheck game have been very impressive.
Leddy turned a 3-on-3 against into a 3-on-0 the other way, which should earn him just a bit of slack.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:04 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Leddy turned a 3-on-3 against into a 3-on-0 the other way, which should earn him just a bit of slack.
Yep, and the first goal was on a bad change, not just Leddy's fault. I applaud Crow's performance this evening but while checking out the Devil's-Philly game I still realized we have a LOT missing between the pipes.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:06 AM
zytz
lumberjack

GG. I want Shaw back on the wing, he isn't ready to center an NHL line, which is fine as he's still young, and Kruger is looking great.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:07 AM
STC

I'd really like to see Bickel get a healthy scratch thursday. He is god awful, a complete waste of space and essentially an embarrassment to the Hawks sweater and the NHL in general.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:12 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I'd really like to see Bickel get a healthy scratch thursday. He is god awful, a complete waste of space and essentially an embarrassment to the Hawks sweater and the NHL in general.
Bickell's had a decent start to the season. He's just never going to be consistently physical, despite his size.. it's just not the way he's ever played.

I would also like to see Shaw back on the wing, but I'd like to keep Bickell/Stalberg together.

Bickell - Kruger - Stalberg
Shaw - Mayers - Frolik

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Different game if Elliott doesn't allow 2 softies. Don't care, it's a win.

CC was great. Best fix for the goalie situation: have your guy play good.
I wouldn't consider any of the Hawks goals "weak", and Elliot kept the blows in the game when the Hawks could have easily been up 3 or 4-0.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
GGGHawks18

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
What the poster just said is spot on about Bickell. He's not bad, he has played well in the 3 games so far as I have been watching that whole 3rd line closely. He has made some great passes to set up Stahlberg. I honestly don't know what you're watching.

GGGHawks18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:34 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i'd rather scratch bollig.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Azilis

Quote:
Whether or not those were soft goals (I don't think they were, considering the deflection/screen), Elliott kept them in the game early when the rest of his team was giving up odd-man rushes every 30 seconds.

Azilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:29 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:

CC was great. Best fix for the goalie situation: have your guy play good.
Different game if Elliott doesn't stand on his head the first ten minutes and stop 4-5 possible goals.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:42 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Kane (early) and Saad were impressive. Kruger made two nice defensive plays, but offensively still is quite challenged. Crawford was strong, came up big when the Hawks fell into a defensive shell, and as other posters have said, didn't play the puck well.

After my one live viewing of Saad earlier this year, I commented on how great he is at reading the play, particularly defensively. Gets into the passing lane and disrupts the play. Has a long reach. Is physical. Offensively, his instincts are just as good. The line of Saad-Toews-Hossa is big, talented, and smart. I'm guessing it will dominate most games.

The one big difference so far this year from the SC team is that the SC team wouldn't have gone into a defensive mode after going up 3-0. The would have continued the attack. First and second periods it was nice to see the Hawks turn the play around in the neutral zone and from the defensive zone very quickly once puck possession was attained, and attack with aggression. They certainly haven't done that much over the past two years. Very reminiscent of 2010.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:43 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

First 3 games, similar notes in all 3.

The stars are playing well, Keith, Seabs, Hoss, Kane, Sharp, and the Captain are leading the way.

The Swedes are playing well, Oduya has played well since a lackluster 1st game, Stalberg is coming along and I love his will on the PP, and Kruger and Hammer are most improved players from last year, both don't look like the players I remeber.

Bolland continues to fit in nicely at #2C. My hope is that when he goes through a rough patch like every player does, Q doesn't quickly pull him and use the it's not working excuse, let him keep it.

Shaw continues to underperform and I blame that mostly on Q. This kid is a winger, to throw him at C and then to put him out there against teams top 2 lines is amazing and it will cost the Hawks a game soon. Move him back to W where he belongs and where he played well last year.

Crawford continues to look good, I won't say great or amazing like others have said. He still has those shaky moments from time to time, if it wasn't for Keiths save the game goes to OT. What I really want to see from Craw is what happens after a bad game. That is where last year he failed horribly. After getting pulled or getting shelled in a game instead of bouncing back he would go into a slide and not recover for days to week at a time. He look lost many times last year and clearly lost his confidence. That note is where I will judge Craw this year, will he bounce back and take it as a bad day, or will he implode like last year.

All in all though a great start to the year, top record in the NHL, almost everyone is playing well and the lines for the most part seemed to have jelled well together, let's keep the run going against Dallas.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:28 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Shaw is an energy fourth liner. I said it last year during his scoring streak. He's playing a role he's not fit for.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:28 AM
p3druh

Oduya is this team's star! The guy's leading the league in +/- after three whole games (on par with Toews) and we all know that's the best stat to rate a D-man by right?

Man, this is start the team needed with the rough schedule ahead.

p3druh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:36 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Crawford did impress. St. Loo is a tough team to beat, always good to take the points and run.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

hats up to all our euro players. They all look much improved or in Hossas case, never lost a step even after this Cheapshot.

Crawford had his uh oh moments but if he plays like this all year long, we have our solid can win with #1 goalie.

Shaw and Bickell worry me a bit. Stalberg is lost without any help and still was able to have a good game with a goal. Shaw isn't a Center in the NHL. Sit Bickell, give Mayers a chance as #4 C and go with Stalberg - Krüger - Frolik as the 3rd line. Bollig - Mayers - Shaw as 4th and let them earn their time a bit more.

Saad looks good for a 2nd round pick rookie

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:50 AM
BollandRocks*

I personally think Crawford should have gotten one of the three stars. While his puck movement behind the net was scary, he made a poke check on the power play that saved a dangerous situation that also ended up into the Seabrook power play goal at the other end. And the save he made while sprawled on all fours against ... Tarasenko, I think? ... saved the win.

Yes, he did get bailed out by Keith on the one puck that deflected off a Hawk's skate, but the Stanley Cup winning team blocked shots, too.

Crawford was at least as good as any other Hawk on the ice.

I don't understand the hatred for Oduya. The guy makes plays. I think he's a fine addition to the team.

Saad's play last night, while not showing up on the scoreboard, was well-noticed. That kid makes plays. He looks good with Toews and Hoss.

I think my boy Davey-B has earned that 2nd line center job.

Looking good in 2013, Hawks. Keep it up!

BollandRocks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
hockeydoug

Great start in the standings, where it counts. Crawford was good at stopping the puck. I was wrong about Reaves and Bollig squaring off again, I don't even think Reaves dressed.

First week of the season not too much to read into but I really like how the Hawks are coming out hard and ready to grab loose pucks right off the start. They didn't seem too interested in the 1st period most of the time last year. Strong starts were one of my biggest areas of concern along with special teams. Last year they only scored first 36 games down from 47 in 2011.

We'll see if it keeps up or not. Special teams' results are there so far but it's too early for me to have a strong opinion on them yet. I was not expecting to see 6pts in the standings after 3 games in 4 nights.

I couldn't believe it was the first 3-0 start since the 73' season. Doesn't matter much, just really surprising since there were so many good teams over the last 40 years.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote