HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Ryan Johansen

Old
01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
At one point he was 9 for 11 on faceoffs.

That's a big plus. He just needs to work on his conditioning and skate harder. He glides way too much IMO. He also tries to keep 1-2 feet between himself and everyone else. Use that big body and reach to your advantage Joey!

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:45 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post

He's a very talented player with great vision. I'd like to see that Prospal-Johansen-Atkinson line together more often.
I think that will work. Nick moves to the line with Duby and Arti?

01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
I totally agree.

But I'm telling you, people will find ANYTHING they can to pick on this kid. Big or small.
Totally understand your point, misread at first, sorry.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

I just hope that Mr.DumbCoach won't put him on the wings too often this season. You got a really good center prospect, you entirely develop him as a f'ing center, for god sake.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:57 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasenko View Post
I just hope that Mr.DumbCoach won't put him on the wings too often this season. You got a really good center prospect, you entirely develop him as a f'ing center, for god sake.
you realize that coach is now coaching Chicago in the A, right?

Richards, if anything, didn't play Johansen much at all and did get him back to C late in the season.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:05 PM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
you realize that coach is now coaching Chicago in the A, right?

Richards, if anything, didn't play Johansen much at all and did get him back to C late in the season.
Sorry I didn't know I'm not really following the Jackets, but I got a lil' credit for Mr.DumbCoach in that case ahahahah

Old
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Sorry I didn't know I'm not really following the Jackets, but I got a lil' credit for Mr.DumbCoach in that case ahahahah
I think he's making a joke.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I think he's making a joke.
I think I'm not getting it at all.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
I think I'm not getting it at all.
No issue, I don't get it often...

That said, if Johansen is your thought he has looked good after two games in this new season... His work during the lock out has payed off imo.

A super star is not what I'm seeing but a solid NHL center in the future I do see...

If he was in Cody Hodgson's situation he would simply be another young player trying to make the team and stick.... In Columbus folks might want him to replace Rick Nash... Different teams, different times...

Johansen will be a good one in Columbus or another NHL team, he is young, management will decide...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Watched both games on tv so take this w/ salt

I have been very impressed with RyJo. He is in the right place, at the right time, he just needs to keep playing/ hustling. I have seen him feather some beautiful passes, forecheck, backcheck, hip check. I saw him dive to block a puck. This kid is doing the things that make a great team player.

I have seen a nice quick wrister from him,

What I haven't seen is off the charts sniping but I just don't think he feels confident going for that yet. The good thing is he is looking like a man in stature, he can skate, he does well on draws. He whiffed on the shootout.. that happens. He stayed square but fell for the disappearing 5 hole, kid needs experience.

I have been very impressed.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:34 PM
blahblah

After two games, a couple of notes. Thus far this is a very different Johansen from last season, even when he played a lot early in the season. Second, he's outplaying Brassard by a wide margin. But then again, Brassard is playing tougher minutes.

If he continues at this rate, it won't be long before he's playing above Brassard. If not this season, next.

One last note, Atkinson looks good next to him. That could be a nice second line with someone like Prospal.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

If he continues at this rate, it won't be long before he's playing above Brassard. If not this season, next.

One last note, Atkinson looks good next to him. That could be a nice second line with someone like Prospal.
How about, if not this week, next week. Brassard is fairly invisible and playing himself into a third line role. Brass just doesn't look like he'll ever "get it."

As for Joey, last night was the first time that I could see the comparisons to Joe Thornton when talking about Johansen, hope he keeps up the attitude that he has something to prove.

He did look good with Atkinson. It would be nice to get another winger to put with them. Foligno? Dubinsky?

Based on what I've seen, my top six would be:

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Prospal

Kev22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
How about, if not this week, next week. Brassard is fairly invisible and playing himself into a third line role. Brass just doesn't look like he'll ever "get it."
It's more about Johansen than Brassard. Leave him in a role he can succeed in.

Quote:
He did look good with Atkinson. It would be nice to get another winger to put with them. Foligno? Dubinsky?

Personally, as I mentioned, I like Prospal with those two. I have zero interest in Johansen playing 20 minutes a night on the top line right now. If you are going to screw around with that, put AA or Dubinsky in that top line center slot if you think you need a change.

Patience my friend. It's two games in a compressed season. Give it time.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post

As for Joey, last night was the first time that I could see the comparisons to Joe Thornton when talking about Johansen, hope he keeps up the attitude that he has something to prove.

Big difference between the opposing line and defensive pairing Brassard is facing, and the one Johansen is seeing. For example, Weber and Josi and going to shutdown most any line we have, but once you get into that 2nd and 3rd pairing, you do some damage. Also, RJ has been sluggish which doesn't help the overall topline performance.

Nordique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Johansen's buddy and former linemate Nino Neideretter has asked for a trade from the Isles. If we can get him for a good price, I think that would be really good for the both of them

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:29 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Johansen's buddy and former linemate Nino Neideretter has asked for a trade from the Isles. If we can get him for a good price, I think that would be really good for the both of them
Savard for Nino would be awesome, helps both teams. The Island needs D prospects and we need goal scoring. Change out some extra depth for an area of need.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I proposed Rangers pick + Savard for Nino + a 3rd rounder.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:00 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I'd do that.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:30 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
The first is too much IMO, he's only a year removed from an absolute implosion in junior where alot were calling him a bust. I would love to get him as he's got a sky high ceiling as a goal scorer, but the trade isn't without risk.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Savard for Nino straight up seems like enough.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Don't mention it on the mains though.

The Islanders fans wanted someone who is already what Niederreiter *hopes* to become straight up.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Nah, that is low balling. We complain when others do it to us. He had one bad year after being called up too early.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Nah, that is low balling. We complain when others do it to us. He had one bad year after being called up too early.
In 64 games, he has exactly two more goals and one more point than Alex Picard did in 67.

I'd be curious to hear what our resident WHL expert thinks of Niederreiter's game, specifically in terms of skating (which some felt was a concern) and in terms of hockey IQ (which was never pointed to as exemplary during his draft year). Without those things, he'd be another Brule, possibly maxing out as a Dan Cleary type.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
In 64 games, he has exactly two more goals and one more point than Alex Picard did in 67.

I'd be curious to hear what our resident WHL expert thinks of Niederreiter's game, specifically in terms of skating (which some felt was a concern) and in terms of hockey IQ (which was never pointed to as exemplary during his draft year). Without those things, he'd be another Brule, possibly maxing out as a Dan Cleary type.
**** Dan Cleary.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:52 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

WHL expert?

Nino and Ryan fed off of each other in Portland. There's no other way to put it - Ryan is a smooth set-up guy, physical, with good hands. Nino is an up-and down player with a wicked shot ... also physical. I do see the concerns with his skating, but it isn't bad enough that it will cost you goals. His hockey IQ isn't off the charts, but it isn't bad either. I was a little bit surprised to see him go 5th overall - I thought he was a 'tweener top-10 pick personally, though I also had Ryan Johansen listed somewhere around 8. What was interesting was that, as his draft season wore on, while Ryan and Brad Ross seemed to ramp up and get better, Nino seemed to taper off and become less effective. The following year he was - good - not nearly great. Last year is a year he will have to forget if he's going to put a decent career together.

I mentioned on the other thread that I think he's worth an Erixon or Savard straight up - OR one of the late first round picks that we'll have in this upcoming draft. As for a future comparison, I think his upside would be around Ruslan Fedotenko. I don't think he's a top line player, but he could still develop into a middle-6 two-way sort of banging forward that chips in scoring occasionally.

I'm not a fan of getting guys just because they played with someone else in another league or in junior. While it does work out sometimes, I think people weigh too much into it. Great players will be great whether they're with their old pals or not. The two definitely had chemistry in Portland, but I don't see the point in over-paying for the guy just to re-unite them. Then you have to ask yourself if you try to get Brad Ross, you know, because it "makes sense".

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote