HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #3| Jan. 22, 2013|Flyers at Devils |7:30 p.m. ET pt II

Old
01-22-2013, 11:43 PM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
you are wrong, he couldnt stop it because he was challenging the slapshot it out of his crease and zajac was screened in his face by time he got the puck, he had no time go back in his crease to stop it, that was on the defense, plus if he was deep in the net, it probably would have went in anyway, especially with a player in his face.
You're entitled to your opinion but I still disagree. I still believe that there are goalies that could have and would have made that save.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:48 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
It's no use....I don't think some people will ever understand the importance of situational saves and how they motivate a team. True number 1's make saves that are typically not easy to save. Brodeur had more than Bryz..hence the shutout. Having said this the offense is totally screwed up and the lack of mobility on D on the transition is so obvious it's not even funny. IMO this team has no choice now but to concentrate primarily on team D and then the goals will come but Lavi doesn't seem to get it. He is being stubborn and challenging his own GM and owner who have said he needs to adjust and tighten the D. He said no...I'm attacking and atttacking....it's going so great isn't it? Him changing up the lines like a mad scientist isn't helping either
This makes sense. The team does feel like it needs to focus way more on defense.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:49 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion but I still disagree. I still believe that there are goalies that could have and would have made that save.
you know, they had the whole first period to score anyway, that's what good teams with good players do, even if you trail 1-0, that's not on goalie, it's fact the devils are the better and the flyers are not, that's something you have to deal with, you dont like it and i dont like it but that's not the goalies fault, that's on the gm and coach.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
This makes sense. The team does feel like it needs to focus way more on defense.
Tocchet basically suggested it as well..saying they need to commit to team D but Lavi is committed to team attack! He said it in an article after the GM and Snider made their comments about tightening it up...

He better adjust.....if they are shutout against the Rangers or play bad and have all the odd man rushes and breakdowns that put us behind the 8 ball it may get ugly for him....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:55 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Tocchet basically suggested it as well..saying they need to commit to team D but Lavi is committed to team attack! He said it in an article after the GM and Snider made their comments about tightening it up...

He better adjust.....if they are shutout against the Rangers or play bad and have all the odd man rushes and breakdowns that put us behind the 8 ball it may get ugly for him....

A more defensive system should work better with this defense. I mean honestly, when you look at the names it shouldn't be a bad defense. It's got stay at homes and its got offensive dmen. No real puck mover, but other than that it should be fine. Even with the 0-3 start the team has only let in 3 goals 5-on-5.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:55 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
I agree. I think Hank or Schneider or Luongo all make that save if they were playing goal for us today. Oh wait, Bryz has outplayed them all massively this season? Nevermind.

Flyers fans are never happy with their goalies. First it's "I just want him to stop with the softies", so he tightens up and hasn't allowed a single softie yet and now we're taking shots at him for not stopping Kovalchuk on a penalty shot where he roofs an unstoppable backhand, or for allowing a rebound on a play where Couturier totally blew his coverage.

You come back from a game where Couturier played like crap, Timonen looked like a whipped mule, and the rest of the defense also looked abysmal and you say a few quick words about the team not playing well and then launch into 5 posts about Bryz stinking.

It's ridiculous.

Bryzgalov stood on his head the first 2 games several times. IT DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. If Bryz made the "situational saves" you're talking about tonight, again nothing would've been different. We played like absolute crap tonight, we didn't even come close to putting one past Brodeur and you want to act like it all would've been different if Bryz could've just made a couple "situational saves"

Thanks for the laugh.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:59 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Am I the only one that looks at tonight as a win?

3 crazy goals against us , a ton of bonehead mistakes and self destructive play against a team that owns us?

the face that we only lost 3-0 with 2 of those goals being unlucky/flukey is nothing to dismiss.
How has CSN not recruited you to be on the post-game show yet? Did you think that Wayne Simmonds landed a thundering left hook in his fight too?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
you know, they had the whole first period to score anyway, that's what good teams with good players do, even if you trail 1-0, that's not on goalie, it's fact the devils are the better and the flyers are not, that's something you have to deal with, you dont like it and i dont like it but that's not the goalies fault, that's on the gm and coach.
I agree but that's the one thing the Devils have that the Flyers do not. A legitimate big save goalie that can win the cup. He kept them in the game in the first period and helped win their confidence. After that we were done.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
I agree. I think Hank or Schneider or Luongo all make that save if they were playing goal for us today. Oh wait, Bryz has outplayed them all massively this season? Nevermind.

Flyers fans are never happy with their goalies. First it's "I just want him to stop with the softies", so he tightens up and hasn't allowed a single softie yet and now we're taking shots at him for not stopping Kovalchuk on a penalty shot where he roofs an unstoppable backhand, or for allowing a rebound on a play where Couturier totally blew his coverage.

You come back from a game where Couturier played like crap, Timonen looked like a whipped mule, and the rest of the defense also looked abysmal and you say a few quick words about the team not playing well and then launch into 5 posts about Bryz stinking.

It's ridiculous.

Bryzgalov stood on his head the first 2 games several times. IT DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. If Bryz made the "situational saves" you're talking about tonight, again nothing would've been different. We played like absolute crap tonight, we didn't even come close to putting one past Brodeur and you want to act like it all would've been different if Bryz could've just made a couple "situational saves"

Thanks for the laugh.
No THANK YOU for your comical response....Bryz is not ALL at fault......nobody has suggested it....but if he would have made some big saves in the beginning like Brodeur did we could have absolutely seen a different game. The Flyers did not start out bad at all offensively but once they went down quick they got discouraged especially since Brodeur was stoning them.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:03 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

It's ridiculous.

Thanks for the laugh.
Please don't ever compare Bryz to Hank again. It's not even close.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:08 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Just saw the Lavi interview again....got a better context. He said it was the best he saw his team come out (initially) and compete....he said once they went down 3-0 the frustration set in. Makes sense and that is what we mean about if our goalie made some big saves in the beginning to match Brodeur the team could have gained confidence. This by no means absolves the rest of the team for not doing their part and being mentally fragile but unfortunately we need Bryz to play above the norm sometimes and especially in the beginning of a big game. That is all....nothing more or nothing less

Old
01-23-2013, 12:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I am not exactly Bryzgalov's biggest fan by any means but even putting him in the list of problems this team has right now is a ******* joke.
The Flyers have looked like **** in at least 6 of the 9 periods so far this season. He has gotten virtually zero support this season.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:13 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I don't know about anybody else but I'm talking about the Devils game....he played well just couldn't outplay Brodeur at critical junctures in the beginning. Games against the Devils is one of inches...Bryz and team ceded them more than NJ..and again hence the shutout. I had no problems with him the other games but if we want to throw those in there as a red herring well be my guest..you win

Old
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am not exactly Bryzgalov's biggest fan by any means but even putting him in the list of problems this team has right now is a ******* joke.
The Flyers have looked like **** in at least 6 of the 9 periods so far this season. He has gotten virtually zero support this season.
none what's so ever and it's ashame because it's always pointed at one guy and not the whole team, because no one want's to hear rebuild the team, getting rid of the goalie is not going to solve anything, it might make this team worse, especially if you have leighton in net, he'll get lid up like a Christmas tree. bryz is not the problem, the problem is the roster and changes have to be made.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:20 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
none what's so ever and it's ashame because it's always pointed at one guy and not the whole team, because no one want's to hear rebuild the team, getting rid of the goalie is not going to solve anything, it might make this team worse, especially if you have leighton in net, he'll get lid up like a Christmas tree. bryz is not the problem, the problem is the roster and changes have to be made.
The whole team INCLUDING Bryz TONIGHT were not up to par with Brodeur and the Devils team....

Old
01-23-2013, 12:21 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
hopefully Holmgren doesnt pull off a panic trade.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:24 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Why is this funny? Brodeur was in the finals last season and has 3 cups already. He's slowed down for sure but still makes the big saves when it counts. The team has confidence in him
what does that have to do with offense? confidence doesnt score goals, players that have talent score goals, they play because they want to win not because of the goalie, they want to win for themselves not anyone else and sometimes, these players dont have that talent, is the reason why the team cant score goals, plain and simple.

this team hasnt played right ever since they came out of tunnel, the last three games it's not on the goalie, it's on the coach and sometimes it's on the gm for not building this team the right way, it's mental mistakes, do you understand that?

if you think goaltending just wins games then you have no clue on how to win hockey games, it's whole ****ing team.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:25 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Please don't ever compare Bryz to Hank again. It's not even close.
You're right. This season, Bryz has totally outplayed him. I could honestly care less about what Hank did last year or the year before that. It doesn't help me for 2012-2013. You're giving Bryz a ton of crap when the reality is, he's come out and been one of the better goalies thus far post lockout. I'm giving him credit for that.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:27 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I know the team is sucking right now. But Bryz did NOT do his job tonight. His job is to make big saves when the team needs it. Is it so much to ask that he not let in 3 goals on 4 shots? Is it so much to ask your $51 million goalie to pick them up and cover for their mistakes? Bryz was not good tonight but he was good in the first two games. We could have won the first two.

Do you really expect the team two come back from a 3-0 deficit against the Devils when your goalie gives up 3 goals on 4 shots??? After the Flyers dominate the first period and come up empty? Psychologically that destroyed their confidence and the Flyers didn't have a chance after that. I'm not blind at all in fact I was 12 rows off the ice and I have 20/20 vision. BRYZ NEEDS TO COME UP WITH THE BIG SAVES TO GIVE THE TEAM CONFIDENCE! That's what he's paid to do. We'll never win a cup unless he does and tonight was a perfect example of what's wrong with Bryz.
When the shots are like they are tonight..its not on the goalie.

Know why Brodeur got a shutout, how many rebounds did we get to? How many breakaways did we get?

Pick any goalie throughout time and its still going to be the debacle that it is...because the team in front plays like trash.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:36 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
My favorite part is that these guys are all riding Brodeur's jock... I can't think of a single incredible or difficult save that Brodeur made tonight. We had a lot of shots on goal and a lot of "chances", but not a single top quality finish attempt. The goons @ CSN named Brodeur the "star of the game" and they had such a hard time digging up 4-5 highlights of spectacular saves that they actually prominently featured a play where our shot was actually blocked and then cleared by one of Brodeur's defenseman. Brodeur had nothing to do with the shot being stopped, but that didn't stop Coates from pontificating what a great save it was by Marty.

The difference between Marty and Bryz tonight was that Marty didn't have any bounces off the skates of his own man, Marty didn't have to face a penalty shot from one of the league's most deadly scorers&danglers, and Marty didn't have his defense totally blow coverage and leave a guy wide open in front of the net. Does that mean that Marty played better? Absolutely not.
yeah i know, great defense makes it easy on goaltending, i mean quick wasnt special when he won the cup, he only had 16 shots, that's good defense, defense is most important aspect in hockey, if dont have that, you will not win. that includes your offense as well, i mean leighton was great in 2010 because of defense, when they wore down, so did leighton.

the problems with fans is that are high on goaltending that they think they have to play like god, it's more than just that it's the whole team that makes the goaltending great, not one guy.

Last edited by toughfighter83*: 01-23-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 12:46 AM
freakydallas13

If this season goes poorly, who do you think is on the chopping block, Bryz? Lavi? Homer? Some combination of those three?

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:50 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

I'm definitely shocked at how the Flyers have looked. The second game they played against the Sabres seemed so shocking.

I was highly disappointed. Having Voracek in my pool right now. I hope he starts to pick it up with G and Hartz.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:00 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
My favorite part is that these guys are all riding Brodeur's jock... I can't think of a single incredible or difficult save that Brodeur made tonight. We had a lot of shots on goal and a lot of "chances", but not a single top quality finish attempt. The goons @ CSN named Brodeur the "star of the game" and they had such a hard time digging up 4-5 highlights of spectacular saves that they actually prominently featured a play where our shot was actually blocked and then cleared by one of Brodeur's defenseman. Brodeur had nothing to do with the shot being stopped, but that didn't stop Coates from pontificating what a great save it was by Marty.

The difference between Marty and Bryz tonight was that Marty didn't have any bounces off the skates of his own man, Marty didn't have to face a penalty shot from one of the league's most deadly scorers&danglers, and Marty didn't have his defense totally blow coverage and leave a guy wide open in front of the net. Does that mean that Marty played better? Absolutely not.
You obviously didn't watch the game then...Brodeur made a lot of exceptional saves..on Laughton, Hartnell, Read....watch the replay in the first 15 mins of the game. Brodeur played really well and yes his team did as well but Brodeur helped himself with not giving up big rebounds etc.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:09 AM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
You obviously didn't watch the game then...Brodeur made a lot of exceptional saves..on Laughton, Hartnell, Read....watch the replay in the first 15 mins of the game. Brodeur played really well and yes his team did as well but Brodeur helped himself with not giving up big rebounds etc.
I watched the entire game... I guess we just disagree.

I saw maybe 1-2 great saves. No exceptional highlight reel quality saves. For the most part, he went unchallenged and the vast majority of it had to do with his defense. He played as well as he could tonight obviously coming away w/ a shutout, but he didn't come anywhere close to facing shots as difficult as Bryz. All 3 of the goals against Bryz came on plays that we significantly more difficult than anything Marty faced.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:27 AM
Ryker

Quote:
I watched the entire game... I guess we just disagree.

I saw maybe 1-2 great saves. No exceptional highlight reel quality saves. For the most part, he went unchallenged and the vast majority of it had to do with his defense. He played as well as he could tonight obviously coming away w/ a shutout, but he didn't come anywhere close to facing shots as difficult as Bryz. All 3 of the goals against Bryz came on plays that we significantly more difficult than anything Marty faced.
While I agree he didn't make any highlight reel saves, I think that's partly because of his positioning, as well. You see guys like Thomas doing those all the time, but often they put themselves in such situations themselves. On the other hand, I also agree with you in regards to the defense keeping us from getting any good chances. Apart from Hartnell in the first and Simmonds in the second I don't think anyone really had a prime opportunity to score. The Devils played a great game, not much to argue with there, and I was quite impressed with their two-man forecheck. They also seem to be pretty quick to go from one place to another, and you could see them outnumbering us on the boards quite often, but even if we then won the puck anyway, they'd be on the person that got it right away. I think the lack of speed and mobility on defense will really come to bite us.

On a more positive note, it was great seeing Read play better after two very mediocre games, but I'm still unimpressed by B. Schenn's play. Talbot and Fedotenko also can't seem to do anything offensively, but the latter at least had a strong game defensively and PK-wise.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote