HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hawks Have Had "Long Interest" in Luongo; Potential Luongo Deal in Place with a Team

Old
01-22-2013, 06:52 PM
massivegoonery

vCash: 500
I've actually grown to like Luongo over the past year or so, but his contract is seriously rough. Even if he was free, he would cost us somebody.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
You seriously don't think the Hawks brass, McDonough and the like, don't see and hear all the **** the fans/media whine and cry about? Every trade deadline since 2010, every off-season.. it's "Sign Richards! Sign Suter!".. this year it will be "Trade for Getzlaf!".. What's actually ridiculous is the amount of Hawk fans that think and have thought since 2010 that Chicago needs to make a big move; that think Chicago needs another big-ticket player. They don't and it would mean having to move one of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith or Seabrook.
By this reasoning, why would they ever trade for Luongo when the great majority of Hawks only know him from his failings in the playoffs, and most hate the guy.

Newsflash, every team's fans do that.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:10 PM
ndgt10

Zero percent chance Vancouver trades us our biggest need.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:20 PM
KyleJRM

I'd be pretty excited if it happened. I'll leave it to the smarter fans than me to know the exact cap implications and how much he still has at 34, but flags fly forever and it'd seem to me that we'd have a fantastic chance to win another Stanley Cup this season with Luongo in goal.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:23 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Luongo for David Toews, straight up.

Deal?

Oh, just looked it up and he's not even in the Hawks organization anymore, so that joke's no good.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Cullksinikers

Luongo for.................................

............CARTER HUTTON!

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
If the price is right

I would be very happy to see Luongo in net for Hawks ,, Would give us stablity for at least next 4-5 years

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
If the price is right

I would be very happy to see Luongo in net for Hawks ,, Would give us stablity for at least next 4-5 years
And after that we have $12-14m in dead cap due to Keith/Hossa/Luongo! Yay!

Seriously folks it's just not going to happen.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:41 PM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
And after that we have $12-14m in dead cap due to Keith/Hossa/Luongo! Yay!

Seriously folks it's just not going to happen.
I remember all the fretting over cap space when we signed Hossa. We won the Cup.

Then I remember all the excitement over the freed up cap space when we traded Campbell. We went out in the first round.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:08 PM
sup bro*

"Bowman sucks he won't get a goalie!"

*trades for best available goalie*

"Bowman sucks he got Luongo!"

sup bro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Kane At Mifflin

Why do people think it's inconceivable we take Luongo and have a two year run at the cup. Lu's just part of a losing culture over in VAN. Their whole team has been and still is a bunch of crybaby drama queens. He comes over here with some proven leadership and he'll play lights out. I would be in favor of getting Lu if we can get him for the right price. We would probably be sending Crawford the other way and we buyout Lu with our second buyout after next season.

Kane At Mifflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:32 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
I remember all the fretting over cap space when we signed Hossa. We won the Cup.

Then I remember all the excitement over the freed up cap space when we traded Campbell. We went out in the first round.
This is really just terrible reasoning. We went for it all or nothing and we got a few things go our way and won it all.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
HawksTillDeath

Since the team isn't owned by own or my money

would anyone be against the idea of trading nothing for luongo (low pick/prospect) and then using luongo for 2 years and buying him out? using the second buyout window at the end of next year?

That would be brilliant but alot of cash to pay

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Sarava

I wondered when I saw the comments about it not being a team people expected...if that was the Hawks. I could deal with it if vancouver would take prospects - but I don't think they would.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:24 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
This is really just terrible reasoning. We went for it all or nothing and we got a few things go our way and won it all.
It wasn't reasoning because no causal statements were given. Simply noting correlations.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:29 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I wondered when I saw the comments about it not being a team people expected...if that was the Hawks. I could deal with it if vancouver would take prospects - but I don't think they would.
i think trying to deal just prospects would be worse - because we wouldn't be freeing up any cap space. we'd have to free up space if we wanted to add him and still be able to work.

Here's what Gillis has had to say most recently about their goalie fiasco. honestly, it just seems like he's blowing hot air. if i had to guess what was going on it would be no one is naive enough to give them anywhere near what gillis wants...but ymmv.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz2IgGYXED2

Quote:
The Luongo trade, or non-trade, which has taken on a life of its own with the way Schneider started the season (five goals on 14 shots before being pulled Saturday), could happen soon, or in a month, or not at all.

“We have a potential deal in place with one team that has to do something with another player that they have — and it’s not who anybody thinks it is — and so we have to wait. (But) we’ve been offered packages that don’t fit what our plan is, what we need,” said Gillis.

Like, how?

“Excess salary coming back with a [throw-in] player who can’t play in our lineup. They say, ‘OK, we’ll do this, but you’ve got to take this.’ Well, we’re not taking it. We’ve had lots of proposals like that with good pieces that can help us but the other part doesn’t help us, and oftentimes they have term attached to them, so we’d just be turning around and buying out a guy.

“I’d rather keep the guy we know, who’s a good person.”

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:38 AM
DontToewzMeBro

No thanks. If Loungo was signed to a friendly contract then OK.

Craw at 2.6 I would rather have, I feel Craw is going to be solid for us. He outplayed Luongo 2 seasons ago in a 7 game series, even though Campoli F'D it

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:00 AM
HeisenBaez

To me Luongo on the Hawks is a similar situation to Jim Edmonds on the Cubs or for your White Sox fans, Albert Belle to the Pale Hose.

On one side, I know he's a really talented goalie who would take a legitimate contender and make them not only President Trophy challengers (not that this matters in the grand scheme of things), but arguably the team to beat in the NHL(now a doubt a legit top 3, top 5 team). He is an upgrade over Crawford and would finally rid us of Ray Emery.

But on the other side he is a recent history of coming up small when Vancouver needs him the most.

I guess it comes down to what Vancouver would want for Luongo. To me he is not a good get at all cost type of player but if he fell into the Hawks lap, I wouldn't say no. It would be extremely interesting to see how the Hawks players would react to Luongo potentially putting on a Indian Head.

I would go 53/47 for a Luongo trade.

HeisenBaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:19 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Possible RFA's for this summer:

Rask/Mason/Bobrovsky/Bernier/Neuvirth/Hackett/Enroth/Bishop/Holtby

Possible UFA's:

Backstrom/Thomas/Nabakov/Howard/Theodore/Smith/Khudobin

A thing to consider.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:30 AM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post

Possible UFA's:

A thing to consider.
I also don't care for signing RFAs to offer sheets. None of those guys outside of Rask is worth giving up any picks for. Now, if they fell to UFA status by not being qualified, then I'm all for trying to sign one of them, but how many are going to get that far? I can only think Mason might not get qualified.

Of the UFA's I don't think any would be a good solution outside of a 1 year contract. I dislike Smith, too. I also don't see Howard hitting FA. So maybe Thomas or Khudobin. I don't know anything about Khudobin, and Thomas is again not really a multi-year solution in my estimation.

Bernier might be possible to trade for his rights though, so I'll leave him on there too. I don't know anything about Hackett's situation. I see it being pretty much down to those 5.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:40 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeLincolnsGhost View Post
I also don't care for signing RFAs to offer sheets. None of those guys outside of Rask is worth giving up any picks for. Now, if they fell to UFA status by not being qualified, then I'm all for trying to sign one of them, but how many are going to get that far? I can only think Mason might not get qualified.

Of the UFA's I don't think any would be a good solution outside of a 1 year contract. I dislike Smith, too. I also don't see Howard hitting FA. So maybe Thomas or Khudobin. I don't know anything about Khudobin, and Thomas is again not really a multi-year solution in my estimation.

Bernier might be possible to trade for his rights though, so I'll leave him on there too. I don't know anything about Hackett's situation. I see it being pretty much down to those 5.
Yep, I think your list is close. Khudobin has always looked good from my vantage point and I'd be fine taking a chance on Thomas too. I like the idea of a franchise goalie but we're in win-now mode and Lu is a franchise goalie whose done his fair share of franchising already for a high price until he's in a wheelchair.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:41 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I'm sorry, why is a short term solid goalie not an option?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I say yes, go get him. As long as we keep Toews, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, Bolland, Keith, Seabrook, Leddy, Saad and Teräväinen (+Krüger +Pirri for Center depth we currently don't have) I'd say yes.

Shaw + pick? done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
"Bowman sucks he won't get a goalie!"

*trades for best available goalie*

"Bowman sucks he got Luongo!"
I'd be open to get Luongo. Everybody wants to get a #1 goalie. Now that a #1 is available the same guys come and say "god no"

Quote:

Possible UFA's:

A thing to consider.
guys in bold are realistic to get
out of them, NO Goalie is a sure upgrade. If anything, go with Thomas and see if this year get him back to be ready mental.

LOL at listing Khubodin

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Yep, I think your list is close. Khudobin has always looked good from my vantage point and I'd be fine taking a chance on Thomas too. I like the idea of a franchise goalie but we're in win-now mode and Lu is a franchise goalie whose done his fair share of franchising already for a high price until he's in a wheelchair.

You mean the soon to be 27 year old with 7 total NHL starts? I am all for taking someone who is unproven but with upside, this guy is barely a back-up and for a reason.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:16 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
The reason being he's played on teams extremely deep in net.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote