HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to panic yet?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:40 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

vCash: 500
Is it time to panic yet?

My answer is no. I think that this team will be a solid team going forward even if we lose to the rags on thursday. The thing that makes me panic is our defense in the next few years...

We all see how our defense is playing this year. Last year we couldnt stop anybody from hanging out in front of our net, this year the problem seems to be the mobility of the defense and their ability to make a solid outlet pass. If kimmo leaves next year, what the hell do we do? We are kind of already shy at wing depth, possibly (not that i agree with it but) briere being bought out, where does this team go in the future?

I think gostisbehere will be great and protected in this new nhl, but hes at least 2 years away. What can we possibly do? I dont see us making a big splash of a trade for a defensemen seeing at how thin we are on the wings if we swap some of them for just one defencemen. Maybe we can sign corey perry this offseason then maybe ship out voracek? I honestly dont see us in good shape defensively after this year. I really dont want to trade any of our forwards.

Thoughts?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

No need to panic....but there should be concern although for me none of this is surprising right now. They have a lot of deficiencies they need to address and they really need to establish an identity with the system whatever the hell it is this year. I don't expect much from this team..once we lost out on Weber, Parise and Suter the hand writing was on the wall IMO. Then losing Carle and Jagr didn't help. Keeping the both of them in a holding pattern b/c we swung for the fences with Weber, Parise and Suter ultimately turned out to be a bad miscalc...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Slowbro

i think that i am tired of the flyers either starting slow, ending slow, going through long slow periods in the middle of the season or just what seems like under performing in the eyes of even someone who isn't a flyers fan.

it has been a pattern for the last couple years, and still now even without the so-called party gang and their questionable work ethic.

but that is just my opinion.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:07 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbro View Post
i think that i am tired of the flyers either starting slow, ending slow, going through long slow periods in the middle of the season or just what seems like under performing in the eyes of even someone who isn't a flyers fan.

it has been a pattern for the last couple years, and still now even without the so-called party gang and their questionable work ethic.

but that is just my opinion.

You basically could say that about EVERY TEAM EVER. All times. Just randomly go into other teams boards. Go to the teams that are starting out slow this season. Same thing.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:07 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Yes.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

nope. to early to panic. 1 week of camp. very little practice time with the condensed schedule. Hopefully they get it fixed soon tho

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:10 AM
FlyingHigh28*

When's the last time this team played 60 full minutes?

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
You basically could say that about EVERY TEAM EVER. All times. Just randomly go into other teams boards. Go to the teams that are starting out slow this season. Same thing.
are you denying the pattern that has become the seemingly like clockwork slumps this team goes through year to year?

****, a couple years ago they were in a slump so bad they almost missed the playoffs because of it.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
When's the last time this team played 60 full minutes?
this too.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:15 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Nobody has really elaborAted on what to do with the defense going forward. That was my main topic in this thread, should of specified that more

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:15 AM
StandingCow

Not time to panic, but I am worried. I am starting to think the system may be part of the problem, and based on last season... lavi's lack of ability to adjust.

At least the season is young.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

special teams has been dreadfull in every area. That to me is the most concerning.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:33 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
nope. to early to panic. 1 week of camp. very little practice time with the condensed schedule. Hopefully they get it fixed soon tho
All 30 teams can say this, so what do you say about those are in the win column now? Hmmm....

Not trolling, because I actually think you guys got burned in that Buffalo game. Could have been a 1-2-0 record, or who knows still 0-3-0. But I don't think your team deserved that kind of treatment. Oh, and I don't think it's time to panic. I see Philadelphia getting in. You're too good not to. My only concern is Bryz, as Pittsburgh's is Fleury. 3 games is only 3 games... pretty much 5.5 games of a 82 game season.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:39 AM
dats81

I know that many posters on this board are hopelessly in love with Couts/B.Schenn/Read/Laughton and are asking for more youth on the roster but hell, are we missing Jagr and Briere right now or what?!

It's a combination of a major sophomore slump + wrong personell on D for playing Lavi's sytem and a nice share of bad luck to start the season.

So what's next? The Rangers have blanked the Flyers last season, not much to expect in this one either.
I believe Ed Snider will start to panic once they are 0-4-0 and Lavi won't be here in February if things go on like this.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:43 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
are you denying the pattern that has become the seemingly like clockwork slumps this team goes through year to year?

****, a couple years ago they were in a slump so bad they almost missed the playoffs because of it.
Quote:
this too.

No, I'm saying it happens to EVERY TEAM. Rangers fans "When are we going to not start slow? It's like this every season." "When will this team play 60 minutes?" Penguins fans "Why does this team keep going through stretches where nothing works well? Offense, defense, goaltending. WTH is Blysma doing???" "WHy can't they learn to play 60 minutes?"

Yeah, I visit other team's (especially our rivals) threads a lot. That's why I find all of your arguments so hilarious. You act like the Flyers are the only team that does this. Not even close.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:57 AM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
No, I'm saying it happens to EVERY TEAM. Rangers fans "When are we going to not start slow? It's like this every season." "When will this team play 60 minutes?" Penguins fans "Why does this team keep going through stretches where nothing works well? Offense, defense, goaltending. WTH is Blysma doing???" "WHy can't they learn to play 60 minutes?"

Yeah, I visit other team's (especially our rivals) threads a lot. That's why I find all of your arguments so hilarious. You act like the Flyers are the only team that does this. Not even close.
how can you sit there and watch flyers games and pretend like it is no big deal? just because you read other teams' forums? as far as i can tell, the flyers cant beat the rangers and the pens have won a cup recently.

please sit there and tell me the flyers' issue with performing a full 60 minutes is NORMAL.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:34 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
how can you sit there and watch flyers games and pretend like it is no big deal? just because you read other teams' forums? as far as i can tell, the flyers cant beat the rangers and the pens have won a cup recently.

please sit there and tell me the flyers' issue with performing a full 60 minutes is NORMAL.
Their issue with performing for 60 minutes is normal. I've seen the same argument in countless other threads. Can it improve? Yes. But the other team is trying to control play as well. So its give and take from both sides.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
All 30 teams can say this, so what do you say about those are in the win column now? Hmmm....

Not trolling, because I actually think you guys got burned in that Buffalo game. Could have been a 1-2-0 record, or who knows still 0-3-0. But I don't think your team deserved that kind of treatment. Oh, and I don't think it's time to panic. I see Philadelphia getting in. You're too good not to. My only concern is Bryz, as Pittsburgh's is Fleury. 3 games is only 3 games... pretty much 5.5 games of a 82 game season.
This here is what I'm worried about. Bryz and the team have yet to play well at the same time. Skaters are good, Bryz sucks. Skaters slump, Bryz is good. Dropping these early games can cost us badly if that trend continues. If Bryz pulls a Fleury (or a Bryz, really) and bombs for 2 weeks we're boned.

That being said, it's still early. Maybe by next week we'll start a winning streak.

01-23-2013, 04:18 AM
BillDineen

Not yet, but I do assume they lose to the Rangers at this point.

Overall, my issue is with forward play rather than D or goaltending. B Schenn looks lost in the woods. Couturier and Read showed some signs of life last game. Talbot was better in a fourth line role. Fedotenko has been horrible. Wellwood is looking good. Laughton has been great. Simmonds needs to bury some of the chances he has had. G led the giving up in the second half of last night's game.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Absolutely not time to panic. If they continue to play piss poor defense and getting bad bounces for a while longer, then panic. Three games in is not time to panic. I think I would turn my "time to panic meter" on around 10-15 games. If they are still looking awful and at the bottom of the barrel, then we panic. If they are out of it at the deadline, try and deal Timonen and maybe even Read, as much as I like both of them.

I still see them turning it around, though.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:45 AM
El Emperor

Young team... check.
Lack of puck moving defenseman... check.
Long off-season... check.
Little to no training camp and preseason... check.

This team will get better, the lockout's consequences of no preseason and very short training camp is basically what we are seeing here. The team seriously needs to be more patient with the puck and get into better position. Right now it literally looks like pee-wee hockey out there where everyone just chases the puck.

My concern is that by the time the players get better, we will be too far back in the standings. We really needed that win on Sunday. Playing the Devils and Rangers this week, it almost guarantees two more losses.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Krishna

In the words of toughfighter83, it's always time to panic.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:14 AM
BringBackStevens

Even strength d has actually been a surprising plus in my opinion.

However the lack of scoring has been shocking.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:22 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Not yet as I believe if they beat the rangers it could really give them the confidence boost that they need to turn it around but a disheartening loss like last night and its panic time.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:26 AM
bp spec

No need to panic, but I'm getting worried for sure.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote