HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Expectations of Sell Outs - Canadian teams

Old
01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker14 View Post
question...

Who are the "a ton (assuming you meant tonne, Canada being a metric nation and all) of teams have basically been selling out consistently, that were not previously" since '05 ?

Boston ?
Chicago ?
Washington ?
Pittsburgh ?

Some "phenomena" ...

You going to add Edmonton, Calgary, Vcr to that?

Small market Canadian fans were scared. If they don't go. The NHL will take their teams. That's all. Canadian fans are sheep.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
- Excellent media coverage, marketing, and hype
- HD TV
- Missing hockey due to the lockout
- Fear of losing teams
- 2002 Olympics victory, 2010 Olympics victory
- Cup runs by Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver
- Canada's upward growth; there has been a massive condo boom in most Canadian cities, and population intensification in downtowns and transit corridors, making access to arenas much easier for a greater amount of people
- Certain rule changes
- New generation of people coming out with disposable income
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Yes.

This may sound surprising to some, and for good reason. Demographics of Canada are changing; other sports are becoming established and growing, the sport was already popular, etc. But whatever bearing those factors may have on hockey, both hockey and the NHL have become considerably more popular in Canada.

There's still room for growth, and the NHL ought to capitalize on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Interesting to note that when we have debates about expansion one of the reasons the pro-sun belt crowd give against more Canadian teams is that "the game cannot grow anymore in Canada."
I disagree. Saffron I think even canadians realize any league which locks out 8 (on average, circumstances or length are irrelevant) is a bit of a joke. I think at least Vcr, Toronto, Mtl sell out but the dollar drops? I think ratings in Canada will be done due to the sloppy hockey this year

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:58 PM
jigglysquishy

The dollar was at a two hundred year low. There is as good a chance of Nixon being re-elected as Canada seeing the dollar at that level.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The dollar was at a two hundred year low. There is as good a chance of Nixon being re-elected as Canada seeing the dollar at that level.
Doesn't really matter Canadian teams could get by on a 50 cent dollar. They'll just collect rather than pay and salaries would drop.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:37 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

The biggest reason is the rise of the Canadian dollar to par with the USD closed the gap in competition. Canadian teams could attract FAs and keep players. Also the new rules post lockout were exciting to watch and created a new generation of young fans who might otherwise find it to boring.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Pure West

I don't think it has much to do with the salary cap. In fact, the last year before the lockout was probably the most successful on ice year for Canadian teams....and last year was probably the least successful for that matter. The rise in attendance was starting before that, probably 2002/2003 or so on.

I guess my point is the expectations of sellouts really were beginning before the lockout. I will add to it that hockey in general has become more popular nationwide. The Olympics and tremendous popularity of the world juniors likely helps that. Different cities across the country had their increases in interest at different times, and for different reasons likely.

In Vancouver, I would say that it was the children of the 90's asian immigrant boom hitting their 20's. Its a significant chunk of the city's population who grew up just when the Canucks were becoming more successful on ice.

Pure West is offline   Reply With Quote