HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - 5.0 - The "Doughty Money Vs. Lowball Bridge" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Habtchum*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I seriously doubt it. BUT... you have to at least wonder what Philadelphia would offer for a good D right about now. If there's one lesson we should've learned from Gauthier, it's never ignore the other GMs.
Philly needs more a goalie than a D man.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:52 PM
shutehinside

Markov making his case. He's not ready to pass the torch of #1 Dman to PK just yet.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
SouthernHab

It was good to see Montreal dedicate this game to PK.

PK, dump Meehan, sign for $4 million per and start playing hockey. Enough is enough.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu View Post
Do you guys think Bergevin is seriously thinking about trading PK?
If it drags on, yes

Old
01-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Sorry to break it to you.. but it's not very hard to take a bigger role on a team with gill, kaberle, diaz, emelin, gorges, etc on D. They just simply are NOT good.

and whoever mentioned OEL.. that's just retarded.. Kulikov is way better than OEL.
OEL was sent to the minors multiple times.

Kulikov has no rep because of where he plays, it's as simple as that. Subban is over hyped like many Habs.. it's starting to become a joke around here.
his "simply not that good" teammates where good enough for a run to the EC finals 3 seasons ago, and taking the cup winners to 7 games 2 years ago.

Panthers as a group played above expectations last year, but I wouldn't go nominating that group of dmen as an elite force.

your comments on OEL sum your understanding of hockey up nicely, no need to go any further.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Markov making his case. He's not ready to pass the torch of #1 Dman to PK just yet.
PK already has it. Markov is trying to wrestle it back.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
Sorry to break it to you.. but it's not very hard to take a bigger role on a team with gill, kaberle, diaz, emelin, gorges, etc on D. They just simply are NOT good.

and whoever mentioned OEL.. that's just retarded.. Kulikov is way better than OEL.
OEL was sent to the minors multiple times.

Kulikov has no rep because of where he plays, it's as simple as that. Subban is over hyped like many Habs.. it's starting to become a joke around here.
Sure it's easy, but it's not easy to be EFFECTIVE, and despite whatever garbage you want to spit out, he was effective.

Also, if you read advanced statistic, you'd realize the hype in PK's case is warranted.
A lot of players are overhyped, sometimes in the wrong, sometimes they prove us right.
Price was overhyped, and he's arguably overpaid, but he's still a great player. Same can be said of PK. Even if you want to say he's overhyped, doesn't mean he's worth half of Prust's salary or isn't great.

As for OEL, I really don't know what you're talking about. Your evaluation is so off. Then again, can't say I'm surprised after the way you speak of PK.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:13 PM
BobbyFischer*

Subbie-doo to Boston for Taylor Seguin

Old
01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
PK already has it. Markov is trying to wrestle it back.
Markov showed exactly why he should've always been considered a top 10 dman. If he can play anything like he played tonight consistently throughout the year (I'm not talking about the goals he scored, I'm talking about the defensive game and the crisp passes as well as the intelligence displayed in all 3 zones) he'll regain that top 10 spot. Not to diminish anything that PK has done for the habs...but PK has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:24 PM
poetryinmotion

PK aint going anywhere, no way.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Markov showed exactly why he should've always been considered a top 10 dman. If he can play anything like he played tonight consistently throughout the year (I'm not talking about the goals he scored, I'm talking about the defensive game and the crisp passes as well as the intelligence displayed in all 3 zones) he'll regain that top 10 spot. Not to diminish anything that PK has done for the habs...but PK has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath.
I think PK will have a decisively better career than Markov at the end of the day. I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Nedved

i'll say it:

i think emelin will be the best defensive d-man in a couple years. the guy has an unreal skill set a lot of players simply do not have, at his size and strength.

really, really love this player. just needs to play, and learn from his mistakes and limit his risk-taking.

pk will never reach the next level if he cannot stay out of the box but could learn a thing or two from markov about being a professional on the ice. markov reminded me tonight the difference in mentality, which you cannot teach, but it resonates through-out the team.

markov just makes me feel comfortable, subban never brought anything but pure excitement. he has a LONG way to go.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
i'll say it:

i think emelin will be the best defensive d-man in a couple years. the guy has an unreal skill set a lot of players simply do not have, at his size and strength.

really, really love this player. just needs to play, and learn from his mistakes and limit his risk-taking.

pk will never reach the next level if he cannot stay out of the box but could learn a thing or two from markov about being a professional on the ice. markov reminded me tonight the difference in mentality, which you cannot teach, but it resonates through-out the team.

markov just makes me feel comfortable, subban never brought anything but pure excitement. he has a LONG way to go.
He's got talent that Markov never had though. His skating is sick. He hits, isn't afraid to get dirty and he's just really, really good.

I was skeptical of him but he's really proven to be a gem. I'm excited at watching him develop. He's not as good as Markov was in his prime but he will be very soon.

If he ever signs a contract.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:41 PM
coolasprICE

panthers play tonight made markov look better than he should...still strong game but against tough teams we need pk subban to lead the way.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:54 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post

Ah yes, how people quickly forget! When the Habs went up against the Bruins in the playoffs last time, it was always nerve wracking unless PK was on the ice, which he usually was, for nearly 30 mins a game. He had the necessary toughness, speed, agility, and skill to face their most feared forecheckers.

You don't have to diminish one to praise the other.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:40 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
To me this hold-out is showing us how PK is not a team first type of player. When thinking about it Price could have easily embarased the management by holding out when Halak was traded but he did not and accepted to take a 2 years deal and proved himself before signing his longterm deal. And before anybody claim how Price was not proved yet he was still the best young netminder in the game with the most value around the NHL.
After the lockout and CBA crap, why would a player not just lookout for himself.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:26 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Markov>Subban

EDIT: I like both players btw.

Last edited by Nicko999: 01-23-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 01:51 AM
Valois

I have only seen markov play at the end of last season - I was young and not following the habs before.

Holy crap he is good now that he's on his game. I get it now. I hope even more we sign Subban now, having those two manning the blue line would be wicked.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:55 AM
vipergtx18*

No thread for Price talk so figured id mention it here... So for only goals he let in were all on power plays

Old
01-23-2013, 04:36 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtx18 View Post
No thread for Price talk so figured id mention it here... So for only goals he let in were all on power plays
We have a PGT, this is a Subban thread.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:50 AM
habtastic

After the PK lovefest that has occurred over the past while, particularly after the loss on saturday, I've read so many comments about how perfect PK's 2 years have been and how he has been a hockey mistake-free player. Make no mistake, PK has the talents to change a game, but what Markov showed me tonight in terms of CONTROLLING a game - PK has so much to learn. It shouldn't become a PK vs Markov comparison, but what I remember Markov being, and the reason we have all felt him to be so important to the team was on display. PK made a ton of brash mistakes that will happen and some simply careless ones as well as some real puck hogging at times. When I saw Markov dishing, shooting and making great D and neutral zone defensive plays, I just hope PK knows that he can in fact improve his game. THEN he will be worth what he thinks he is currently. Getting the attention sucked away from him has got to hurt. The more we win without him, the more the double bonus. (He'll realize he ain't 100% of the team, but an important cog AND ...we'll win.)

Old
01-23-2013, 04:50 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I'm reserving judgement on MB but if he handles future signings like this one with key players involved I'm going to question his competency. 2 years at 2.75 mil is a joke. But hey were paying a defenceman with 2 bad knees 5.75 mil and a defenseman who can't play d to save his life or is effective in the PP 4.25 mil. No wonder this organization hasn't won a cup in 20 years.

edit:I know MB isn't responsible for Markov and Kaberle's contracts but that doesn't mean he has to lowball Subban
If this is true ($2.75mil/year for 2 years)...
$5.75mil/year for Markov.
$4.25mil for Kaberle.
$2.75mil/year for Subban (are you ****ing kidding me?).

$2.75mil/year for Subban after he proved that he can shut-down Crosby, and also send us into overtime vs The Bruins in our last playoff series (saw more from Subban in playoffs VS entire palyoffs with Markov)...Subban also gets 28min. of ice-time/game...$2.75mil/year is way more than low-balling!!

This ****ing sucks...Markov is finally healthy (for how long?!), and Subban isn't playing.

I really enjoy watching Subban play for our Habs...not the same without him. Bergevin better stop the low-balling (if it's true).
Who the **** is Bergevin? We need Subban to help us win...enough with contract talks...get Subban back on the ice...#$%^&*#$%@$#.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-23-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 04:56 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
After the PK lovefest that has occurred over the past while, particularly after the loss on saturday, I've read so many comments about how perfect PK's 2 years have been and how he has been a hockey mistake-free player. Make no mistake, PK has the talents to change a game, but what Markov showed me tonight in terms of CONTROLLING a game - PK has so much to learn. It shouldn't become a PK vs Markov comparison, but what I remember Markov being, and the reason we have all felt him to be so important to the team was on display. PK made a ton of brash mistakes that will happen and some simply careless ones as well as some real puck hogging at times. When I saw Markov dishing, shooting and making great D and neutral zone defensive plays, I just hope PK knows that he can in fact improve his game. THEN he will be worth what he thinks he is currently. Getting the attention sucked away from him has got to hurt. The more we win without him, the more the double bonus. (He'll realize he ain't 100% of the team, but an important cog AND ...we'll win.)
But he won't learn it if he doesn't play.

Subban brings things that Markov doesn't. You shouldn't forget that.

Old
01-23-2013, 04:58 AM
The Right Price

I'd be open to the idea of trading Subban to NYI. He'd be a good, marketable player, in Brooklyn lol.

Subban + Eller for Strome + Hamonic.

Old
01-23-2013, 05:05 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
But he won't learn it if he doesn't play.

Subban brings things that Markov doesn't. You shouldn't forget that.
Exactly.
And, love how everyone here always repeats that Subban has a lot to learn!!

Subban and Gorges know how to protect themselves 1000x better than Markov.
So, Markov is the one who still has a lot to learn in this department (Markov is one shift away from getting a serious injury with his brain-dead ways...not protecting himself). Against Toronto (last Saturday)...Markov went down after placing himself in a vulnerable position against Kadri...someone has got to tell Markov not to turn his back on any play. Matter of time before he gets injured again...unless he finally learns how to protect himself the way Subban and Gorges do.

Enough with this thread...Markov is back (feels strange to see him healthy!)...we just need Subban back now. The lockout is over yet we still have to talk about why Subban isn't signed yet...@$%^&@#$#%^&*.

Seems like we'll never see Markov and Subban on the PP playing together (**** you Bergevin IF you're low-balling, and/or **** you Subban...if you're being too greedy...... ****ing money is ****ing up our game).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 01-23-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Closed Thread