HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you still do the Hodgson trade?

Old
09-18-2012, 10:19 PM
LeanBeef

vCash: 500
Hey quick question from a Nucks fan. How would you react if this was the trade-
Hodgson, Schroeder, Sulzer, 5th round pick for Foligno, Kassian, Gragnani?

LeanBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanBeef View Post
Schroeder and a 5th for Foligno? Nope, wouldn't do it...we need Foligno a lot more than Schroeder. Regier made the Kassian trade because he felt Foligno was ready to be the physical top-6 player. No way he would deal both.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:31 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
How would I react?

Terrible trade Regier! Kassian is simply no longer NEEDED on this team. He would be a nice addition, but not needed.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:33 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
No chance. Kassian was expendable to get a center because of Foligno and how well he progressed this year (especially offensively). Foligno is exactly the kind of player this team has needed desperately for longer than I'd like to think about.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:12 AM
LeanBeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
No chance. Kassian was expendable to get a center because of Foligno and how well he progressed this year (especially offensively). Foligno is exactly the kind of player this team has needed desperately for longer than I'd like to think about.
Yeah, I understand. Its just that at the time Hodgson arguably had much more value than Kassian, so adding Schroeder and a 5th sorta balances out the trade. Anyways, Schroeder is like a homeless man's Ennis

LeanBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, I understand. Its just that at the time Hodgson arguably had much more value than Kassian, so adding Schroeder and a 5th sorta balances out the trade. Anyways, Schroeder is like a homeless man's Ennis
The reason Kassian was available though was how Foligno has progressed. Both wouldn't have gone into a deal, that's the point the others are trying to make.

09-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
How would I react?? I would jump off the FNC if Regier traded both Foligno and Kassian.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:46 AM
DixonWard15

I know its early in the season but Hodgson looks great on our top line and Kassian is playing 4th line minutes in Vancouver.

Hear, hear for Darcy Regier

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:53 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
I know its early in the season but Hodgson looks great on our top line and Kassian is playing 4th line minutes in Vancouver.

Kassian played on the top line with the Sedins during Sunday's game. He was voted first star in the Canuck's loss.

Just saying. Small sample size.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:58 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Kassian played on the top line with the Sedins during Sunday's game. He was voted first star in the Canuck's loss.

Just saying. Small sample size.
He is 17/18th for TOI/G:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...ewName=summary

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post

I'd still do the trade, of course, but you're making things up. Kassian was the 1st star in Sunday night's game, and only three forwards got more ES ice time: D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Burrows. He's not playing 4th line minutes. They're just working him in right now. Once they start giving him PP time, he'll be around 16 mins/game.

I have to say, this trend of pissing all over our former players (Kassian, Roy, Gaustad) at every opportunity--or created opportunity--is getting tiresome already, and we're still in the first week of the season. Can't we all just move on?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Mergus

Yes, I would still trade an, at best, 2nd line winger for a potential 1st line center.

Mergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:21 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post
Yes, I would still trade an, at best, 2nd line winger for a potential 1st line center.
At best 2nd liner? Considering he's already playing on the 1st line...

Like I said in the prospects thread, I would still do the trade, but I think we may have jumped the gun on the Foligno > Kassian talk. Kassian still is a very promising, unique player. I hope he becomes the beast we think he can be. He also fought the other night.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Mergus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
At best 2nd liner? Considering he's already playing on the 1st line...

Like I said in the prospects thread, I would still do the trade, but I think we may have jumped the gun on the Foligno > Kassian talk. Kassian still is a very promising, unique player. I hope he becomes the beast we think he can be. He also fought the other night.
Playing on the 1st line doesn't make you a 1st line player. No one projects Kassian as a true 1st line player. Burrows played on the Sedin's line before.. is he a first line player?

Come on, there is no question that Hodgson's ceiling is higher. They are different players. I think it is a lot harder to address skill than it is to address grit. Kassian has some offensive skill, but you're reaching if you think he will ever be more than a 50-60 point player. Hodgson has the talent to far eclipse those numbers.

I'd agree that Kassian may very well end up a better player than Foligno, but I'd still take Foligno any day of the week. He just plain and simply has a better attitude and I don't think there will be THAT big of a difference between their effectiveness on the ice.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:57 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Playing on the 1st line doesn't make you a 1st line player. No one projects Kassian as a true 1st line player. Burrows played on the Sedin's line before.. is he a first line player?

Come on, there is no question that Hodgson's ceiling is higher. They are different players. I think it is a lot harder to address skill than it is to address grit. Kassian has some offensive skill, but you're reaching if you think he will ever be more than a 50-60 point player. Hodgson has the talent to far eclipse those numbers.

I'd agree that Kassian may very well end up a better player than Foligno, but I'd still take Foligno any day of the week. He just plain and simply has a better attitude and I don't think there will be THAT big of a difference between their effectiveness on the ice.
I don't think you are reaching at all to say he could reach those numbers. Kassian has the skill set to be the best power forward in the NHL if he puts it together. It is extremely rare for a guy with his size to have hands like that.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Mergus

Quote:
I don't think you are reaching at all to say he could reach those numbers. Kassian has the skill set to be the best power forward in the NHL if he puts it together. It is extremely rare for a guy with his size to have hands like that.

Wow.... I don't even know how to respond to that. Actually, I do know how to respond.... No, no he does not.

If he has the potential to be the best power forward in the NHL then Cody has the potential to be better than Crosby. That is about as likely.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

No he doesn't

You think he has 40-50 goal potential?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I still hope Kassian has a great career for the Nucks and I still think he will be a strong offensive player.

He should be a better offensive player than Foligno, but Foligno will be better defensively and far more consistent in his physical play. We should be careful about comparing the two as Kassian is a much more pure offensive player with fantastic hands for a guy his size, and he's a guy who uses his size for puck possession play (which fits the Canucks perfectly). Foligno is a guy who crashes the net, drives lanes, uses his size to hit guys on the forecheck more effectively than Kassian, etc. It's not like one makes the other redundant so much as having at least 1 of them in the top 9 gave us the size we desperately needed while getting a center was more important than having yet more size.

Back to Kassian vs Hodgson, Cody should be the better defensive player and will probably also have a better overall affect on his line's offensive production. I don't think he'll necessarily kill Kassian in point production but the capacity is there for a solid two-way 70 point player (by current NHL production standards) whereas Kassian is more a 50-60 point guy.

I'd take the trade 9/10 based on team context and I think Hodgson has at least slightly more 'objective' value. The trade should work out great for both teams and is showing early returns 2 games into the season. It's unfortunate for the Canucks that they're missing Kessler, as Hodgson would obviously be a big help right now, but they're also missing Booth whom Kassian will more than likely adequately replace.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

No he doesn't

You think he has 40-50 goal potential?
What power forward is putting up that many goals?

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:21 AM
Mergus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Perry and Iginla.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Iginla and Perry

Old
01-23-2013, 09:24 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Perry and Iginla.
beat me to it

Old
01-23-2013, 09:28 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Perry and Iginla.
They aren't power forwards in the same sense as Kassian. There are very few players like Kassian. Neely, Bertuzzi, Lindros, Shannahan, Lucic. That's the breed Kassian belongs to. He won't ever be on their level, except for maybe Lucic, but the point is, he can be a dominant player if it pans out for him.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:40 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
He MIGHT have the skill set to become the best power forward, but does he have the drive to make it happen. Personally, I dont think he will even come close to being a top 10 power forward in the game.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Still do the trade as it was based upon filling a legitimate need and both teams did so. Too early to say if either team "won". I still think both teams did fine.

Sulzer, if he continues his steady play, is a great surprise.

Want Cody to succeed just so he can put all that crap post trade from Vancouver mgmt behind him.

I expect Kassian to develop into a Ryan Clowe type, which isnt a bad thing.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote