Notices

Mikael Granlund IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I have been pleasantly surprised by Granlund in the defensive zone. Not sure what I expected but he's been good, in position, maybe hasn't faced a ton of pressure in the matchups, skates/moves it out, just fine.

If people think he's too defensive...that's excellent. That's the trait of an elite player, constantly improving in weak areas. They talk about that all the time with basketball players, find something to improve every offseason (Crosby), otherwise you get predictable (Ovechkin).

Old
01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Yeah I've been very surprised by Granlund's defensive play, hasn't looked bad in our own zone, blocked a shot. The offense will come, we know he's gifted in that area, but to see him doing well so far defensively in the NHL is great. Once he develops a better rapport with his linemates the points will come.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
SureBabyYes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
They were lethal together in Houston -- whenever they were on the same line.
They weren't bad together, but point-wise Zucker exploded after Granlund was injured and Larsson started centering the first line. When Granlund came back Zuckers production slowed quite significantly (as in opposition to Coyle who struggled with Larsson but found the net with Granny) until the first line was ultimately split and Zucker again was placed with Larsson on the third line for a few games (allthough not as successfully without Coyle).

However, this doesn't have to be of any importance at all as a Zucker - Granny - Seto line would be a completely new constellation..!

Old
01-23-2013, 02:24 AM
FVM
60 degrees north

vCash: 1301
Granlund was thrown around a lot in the beginning of the last game as Nashville's big defense had their way with him. I don't know if it's the lack of strength as much as a lack of balance - sometimes Mikke reminds me of a small Corey Perry, always on his ass.

He did get better during the game and had a couple of chances in the offensive end. He still plays overcautious and overconservative for my taste though. Granlund's strength is his creativity and courage to make plays others don't even see. I hope he starts to hold on to the puck more and make those plays and utilize his great wrist shot as he gets accustomed to his linemates and the overall pace of the game. He is showing some promising signs and his defensive game has been fine.

I see the unclear roles of Cullen and Setoguchi as the big problem of the second line right now. Setoguchi has had a whopping 3 shots on goal in 3 games! Yes he has been physical but he needs to start shooting and getting involved in the offense if he wants to play on the top-6. Right now he reminds me more of a pinball bouncing around with not much thought in his game. And Cullen... he is decent on the faceoff dot and always puts in a good effort, but that's pretty much it.

Maybe bringing up Zucker and mixing up the lines a bit would help if the current line don't improve their offense in the next few games.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:07 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
..He still plays overcautious and overconservative for my taste though. Granlund's strength is his creativity and courage to make plays others don't even see.
Granlund "problem" now is he tries to do everything on the ice. We who have seen him playing his own game, we surely know he is not even close on his best yet. Hope he can deliver that soon, and that happens when the coach will give him free hands.. and maybe right kind of roles would help too. He needs a lot of space, and someone who is working his ass of to make it for him. Their line is too passive now, especially in the offensive zone.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:11 AM
hirawl
Used Register

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post
Granlund "problem" now is he tries to do everything on the ice. We who have seen him playing his own game, we surely know he is not even close on his best yet. Hope he can deliver that soon, and that happens when the coach will give him free hands.. and maybe right kind of roles would help too. He needs a lot of space, and someone who is working his ass of to make it for him. Their line is too passive now, especially in the offensive zone.
Granlund does not need a lot of space. It's the opposite actually. He's one those players who thrive on drawing defending players onto him by holding on to the puck sometimes even too long. Then dishing out a nice pass to team mate with some extra time and space on his hands.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

His only problem thusfar are his linemates.

Cullen can't stay on his feet, and is still incapable of effectively using his linemates. Seto still just bugs the hell out of me. He doesn't belong in the top-6. His head will never be up to speed with his body, and it results in him always being a half-step behind where he needs to be.

I want one of them traded and I want the other moved to a different line. Trade one of them for a pick or defensive depth, call up Zucker or Coyle. Move the other down a line, and put 1 of Zucker or Coyle with Butch on the 2nd line.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:55 AM
nickschultzfan

Well, Cullen and Setoguchi can't cycle, protect the puck, or generally support the puck carrier.

So, yeah, it would be nice to get two players who could actually do those things to play with Granlund.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Well, Cullen and Setoguchi can't cycle, protect the puck, or generally support the puck carrier.
I've been surprised how bad Cullen is nowadays... I remember him as a much more complete and better player from his Carolina-years but his play has been dreadful thus far. In that Nashville game they seemed to have a cycle going for a couple of times and then he suddenly just throws the puck to a no man's land for a giveaway.

Seto hasn't been much better, he's a headless chicken out there. Combined with a questionable offensive strategy that the Wild have (from their own end), it's not really a place to thrive for a rookie. Hopefully they get things going.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:23 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
His only problem thusfar are his linemates.
Agreed - Granlund is the only source of any real scoring chances. He's the only one generating any of them at all. Either he's skating the puck into scoring range or he's passing it to the others in scoring range (and they don't have the quickness themselves to do anything since they never seem to be expecting it at all).

It seems like his line is a one man line with the other two just going into corners and not doing much of anything to generate offense at all.

It seems as though he's on an offensive island as a result. He draws in all the defenders, and neither Cullen nor Setoguchi get into puck support position for him to dish to. Their zone time is nothing but cycling in the corners as a result.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:44 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Hoping with these two practice days that they take steps forward. They have had a few chances. They could have had a few more if Cullen learned how to saucer pass. He could have sprung FBJ a few times last game but the passes were intercepted or poked away easily on the ice.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:53 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Trade Setoguchi for a prospect D-man, then call up Zucker to take his place. Move Cullen down to 3rd line center and have Brodziak play on Granlund's other wing.

Cullen is a pretty good 3rd line center, and he simply plays better when he's at center than he does wing. He is a damn fine defensive center and has the speed to catch up to his rushing wingers and is better offensively when coming in trailing the play.

Brodziak has the crash the net mentality and plays just as good at wing as he does at center, he also has decent puck control and is much better at puck support than Cullen IMO. That gives the line on great puck control player, another decent, and one to play cleanup with the chances being created, and all 3 have a nose for the crease when need be.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Cullen has made one good pass so far this season. . . . . that's it. I've been wanting to get rid of him for a while now and this is just further confirming it. At this point I don't even care about his partial NTC or his retire in Minnesota philosophy, get him out and either move Butch up to the 2nd line or call up Zucker. I don't mind the way Seto has been playing so far. He's not shooting the puck as much as I'd like him too but he's really stepped up his physical game. I haven't given up on him yet.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:23 AM
pbunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Cullen has made one good pass so far this season. . . . . that's it. I've been wanting to get rid of him for a while now and this is just further confirming it. At this point I don't even care about his partial NTC or his retire in Minnesota philosophy, get him out and either move Butch up to the 2nd line or call up Zucker. I don't mind the way Seto has been playing so far. He's not shooting the puck as much as I'd like him too but he's really stepped up his physical game. I haven't given up on him yet.
i agree about seto. whatever flipped his switch has been great. he's been crashing the net well and being physical for that line.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Ville231

I agree, Seto & Cullen haven't been good. That being said they've only played 3 games. Cullen didn't play during the lockout so he should be pretty rusty. Seto played 10 games in the ECHL, don't know about the skill level of that league, but im guessing its pretty far from NHL. Maybe they just need some time to get going.

Old
01-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Seto and Cullen are two guys that need everyone else to do the work for them to succeed. They've got decent shots and yeah are quick, but with subpar hands and poor offensive zone instincts. So if there's a loose puck or on the PP they might do fine but 5-on-5...Granlund's not enough to raise both their games.

It seems when I'm watching that line, Granlund gets double teamed right away and then a quick regroup for the other team. They have no extended possession of the puck.

That's why I want Butch and Brodz up there...

Old
01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
nickschultzfan

Short term, I think switching Cullen Brodziak might help Granlund. However, long-term, Brodziak is the 3rd line center.

Neither Cullen or Setoguchi support Granlund when he has the puck. They don't give him an option. Cullen is doing his playing on the island thing. And Setoguchi, while I love his energy and physicality these days, is stuck in no-man's land a lot, since he's not supporting from behind, getting open for a pass, getting open for a shot, or crashing the net.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah that's where you hope Coyle is ready sooner rather than later.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Cuthalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Trade Setoguchi for a prospect D-man, then call up Zucker to take his place. Move Cullen down to 3rd line center and have Brodziak play on Granlund's other wing.
Sounds like a plan. There really should be wingers with top6-brains and Zucker probably is one of those. Physically Cullen and Seto are good, but what's the point when they don't seem to be capable of using that for good offense.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Our third line has been good, I would hesitate to move Cullen...ug.... to the third line c just because it would screw with the chemistry, and we all know Cullen has the puck control of an old blind lady. Hell, he usually just throws the puck AT the oponents d...

I would love it if we could trade him; bring up Zucker, as many have previously said.

Our second line needs help right now. Granlund has looked pretty good overall, but he is doing it all himself. Seto has at least been trying and given a little time, I think he might earn his spot there. He at least is working on doing things away from the puck. We just need to put one other on that line who can cycle the puck some and take some heat off Granlund. Cullen is just a floor polisher on that line...

Old
01-24-2013, 12:08 PM
nickschultzfan

Yeah, I think Cullen stays with the Wild the entire year because of the lockeroom, but it's going to annoy me because he brings down the 2nd line and I don't want the 3rd line messed with.

I would maybe consider putting Cullen as the 4th line center and moving Kenopka to wing. I won't miss Powe.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Yeah, I think Cullen stays with the Wild the entire year because of the lockeroom, but it's going to annoy me because he brings down the 2nd line and I don't want the 3rd line messed with.

I would maybe consider putting Cullen as the 4th line center and moving Kenopka to wing. I won't miss Powe.
What's the point of moving Konopka to the wing? He's our best face-off man. And Powe brings a lot of hustle and grit to the 4th line.

I'd say put Cullen as 3C if he has to be moved. Brodziak replaced him on 2nd line, I think he should be well capable of playing top-6 minutes until the kids are ready. Besides, Cullen has played with Bouchard before.

Brodziak - Granlund - Setoguchi
Bouchard - Cullen - Clutterbuck

01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
TZM
Par too easy

I'm still a little hesitant to switch Cullen's and Brodzy's spots. The 3rd line is so good right now, I wouldn't want to mess with it. I'd swap Cullen and PMB if I had to do something.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
roon

Why are folks suggesting calling up Zucker to play with Granlund. Granlund needs a PF on his line. He needs a Coyle/Lats type player. Right now that line spends all its time in the corner cycling the puck...no offensive threat at all. They have nobody that can establish a net presence. They need to fix that to start producing...either Seto needs to step up and do it as he is probably the most capable on that line...or Yeo needs to do something.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
Why are folks suggesting calling up Zucker to play with Granlund. Granlund needs a PF on his line. He needs a Coyle/Lats type player. Right now that line spends all its time in the corner cycling the puck...no offensive threat at all. They have nobody that can establish a net presence. They need to fix that to start producing...either Seto needs to step up and do it as he is probably the most capable on that line...or Yeo needs to do something.
I think Zucker fits because he can finish.

Closed Thread