HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home Opener vs Bolts 1/22

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 09:00 AM
  #76
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Hey guys, Lightning fan here. I come in peace, don't shoot!

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the questions you answered for me during the summer about going to a game in Raleigh. My son went last night and had an awesome time. He's been to a lot of hockey games in a lot of arenas and could not stop raving about how enthusiastic and NICE Canes fans were, even after the game. Kudos!
We were quite nice to you and your team

Hope you enjoyed the atmosphere

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:01 AM
  #77
bb99
Registered User
 
bb99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
D and Cam made me get hammered drunk last night. FFFfffffff...

I am liking the play of Semin. Even though the points aren't adding up yet, it is only a matter of time. The power play has some great promise with him out there.

bb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:04 AM
  #78
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
So Dumolin is better than Faulk now?
Maybe he switched the subject of the pronoun and was referring to Jack Johnson...?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
  #79
StillTheResa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
The problem is nobody is hitting. We were the least physical team last year and it has gotten worse. Missing Allen and Ruutu really show up in that regard. LaRose seems to think he's an elite scorer or something now. He needs to be hitting everything that moves to create space, that's how he got his goals in the past. Westgarth didn't get much IT and his job is to enforce, not take the body. J. Staal hasn't really been physical either.

We are very soft which makes it easy to play against.

The RESA was quiet last night...they should have come out banging to get the crowd going. That was easily the quietest I've heard that building in a sell out.

StillTheResa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
  #80
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
What indication is there that Ward is suddenly going to be worthy of his massive salary and all the accolades he gets from a cult-like fanbase and fawning press?
Ignorning the fact you never answered my Ellis question:

- Ward has faced over 4500 shots over the past two years. That's about 500 more than the next closest goaltender. He's made more saves than most goaltenders face in shots.
- During that same time span, he's played in 28 games where he's faced 40 or more shots. Not only is that the most in the league by far, it's more games than Lundqvist, Price, Miller, Thomas, Quick, and Fleury...combined. And to put that 28 games in another light, it's about 1 every 5 games where he faced 40 or more shots.
- Despite these ridiculous numbers, he's put up a respectable .918 SV% during that time. Behind a defense that's less than competent and behind a team that can't make the playoffs.

Ward would easily be worth his salary if we could field a team that didn't **** their pants at the sight of an offensive rush.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
  #81
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
I guess this is as good a place as any for this but does anyone know why they don't call double minors on plays like boarding anymore? I know they used to in the 80s and early 90s but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a double minor for elbowing or something like that. (Not high sticking). It seems like a logical way to call a play like Malone's hit on Staal which wasn't quite worth a major and a game but certainly is worth more than a standard 2 that you can get by someone falling over your stick.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
  #82
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Hey guys, Lightning fan here. I come in peace, don't shoot!

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the questions you answered for me during the summer about going to a game in Raleigh. My son went last night and had an awesome time. He's been to a lot of hockey games in a lot of arenas and could not stop raving about how enthusiastic and NICE Canes fans were, even after the game. Kudos!
Glad you guys had a good experience. One thing I honestly like about our fans (or at least the ones inside the arena) is that they can be passionate without being outright hostile.

Anybody see the Lightning fans in 312 who got kicked out 5 minutes into the game? I wonder what happened there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath
You know Eric Staal set up him up for a tap in and he whiffed in it and rang the post on another open chance....seems like he's fitting right in.
I couldn't believe that miss. The hockey equivalent of missing a layup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I guess this is as good a place as any for this but does anyone know why they don't call double minors on plays like boarding anymore? I know they used to in the 80s and early 90s but I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a double minor for elbowing or something like that. (Not high sticking). It seems like a logical way to call a play like Malone's hit on Staal which wasn't quite worth a major and a game but certainly is worth more than a standard 2 that you can get by someone falling over your stick.
There are no double-minors for boarding. The only penalties that allow for double-minors are high-sticking, spearing, butt-ending and head-butting. In the case of high-sticking, an injury MUST result in order to call it four minutes. With the other three, you get 4 for an attempt and 5 for a successful blow, with a match penalty for injury.

I don't remember when or if these standards changed. But they kind of tie the refs' hands with regard to calling 4 minutes, which is why you hardly ever see it except for cases where a high stick draws blood.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
  #83
urho
Registered User
 
urho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Oh, the beginning of the season-coma all over again... And it's only 48 games season

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
  #84
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Glad you guys had a good experience. One thing I honestly like about our fans (or at least the ones inside the arena) is that they can be passionate without being outright hostile.

Anybody see the Lightning fans in 312 who got kicked out 5 minutes into the game? I wonder what happened there?



I couldn't believe that miss. The hockey equivalent of missing a layup.



There are no double-minors for boarding. The only penalties that allow for double-minors are high-sticking, spearing, butt-ending and head-butting. In the case of high-sticking, an injury MUST result in order to call it four minutes. With the other three, you get 4 for an attempt and 5 for a successful blow, with a match penalty for injury.

I don't remember when or if these standards changed. But they kind of tie the refs' hands with regard to calling 4 minutes, which is why you hardly ever see it except for cases where a high stick draws blood.
So it's actually not even allowed for a double minor to be called? You would think they would want to give the refs a middle ground for dangerous hits between 2 minutes and 5 and a game. But this is the NHL where common sense goes to die.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM
  #85
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Allowing refs more leeway will just lead to more diving, just like you'll catch guys trying to draw blood after taking a stick to the face.

I wouldn't mind if boarding was an automatic 5 though.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
  #86
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
So it's actually not even allowed for a double minor to be called? You would think they would want to give the refs a middle ground for dangerous hits between 2 minutes and 5 and a game. But this is the NHL where common sense goes to die.
You would think that, but no... a double minor for boarding (or slashing, elbowing, etc) doesn't exist. It's either a minor or a major, no middle ground.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
  #87
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Allowing refs more leeway will just lead to more diving, just like you'll catch guys trying to draw blood after taking a stick to the face.

I wouldn't mind if boarding was an automatic 5 though.
Half of them already do it to try to draw the 5 and a game, succesfully, which is much worse than the 4. If Staal laid on the ground like he was dead Malone would've been gone IMO, especially right after another boarding call.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
  #88
Joe McGrath
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You would think that, but no... a double minor for boarding (or slashing, elbowing, etc) doesn't exist. It's either a minor or a major, no middle ground.
I just asked on the history board if I'm inventing these penalties taking place in the past. I'm sure one of the old timers will let me know how delusional I am at this point.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
  #89
normalpsychology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 966
vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Ignorning the fact you never answered my Ellis question:

- Ward has faced over 4500 shots over the past two years. That's about 500 more than the next closest goaltender. He's made more saves than most goaltenders face in shots.
- During that same time span, he's played in 28 games where he's faced 40 or more shots. Not only is that the most in the league by far, it's more games than Lundqvist, Price, Miller, Thomas, Quick, and Fleury...combined. And to put that 28 games in another light, it's about 1 every 5 games where he faced 40 or more shots.
- Despite these ridiculous numbers, he's put up a respectable .918 SV% during that time. Behind a defense that's less than competent and behind a team that can't make the playoffs.

Ward would easily be worth his salary if we could field a team that didn't **** their pants at the sight of an offensive rush.
the past isn't always going to be an indication of how a goalie will do in the present season. let's face the probable reality - ward has peaked and is now on a downward slope.

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
  #90
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman
 
PaulProteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Glad you guys had a good experience. One thing I honestly like about our fans (or at least the ones inside the arena) is that they can be passionate without being outright hostile.

Anybody see the Lightning fans in 312 who got kicked out 5 minutes into the game? I wonder what happened there?
I haven't been inside lots of away arenas for hockey games, and never for games that the Hurricanes have played in, but I think that the PNC Center has to pretty much be top tier as far as experience for away fans go.

I noticed the exit over in 312 last night, but no clue what that was about. It's been my experience in the 300-level that in order to get the escorted boot you pretty much have to have multiple complaints brought against you. One exception seems to be when you're no longer able to successfully navigate the stairs in a sober fashion.

But perhaps they've tightened up the enforcement a little this year.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
  #91
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennay Kekua View Post
the past isn't always going to be an indication of how a goalie will do in the present season. let's face the probable reality - ward has peaked and is now on a downward slope.


Well, when you have anything of substance to back that up, I'll debate you

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:55 AM
  #92
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
I haven't been inside lots of away arenas for hockey games, and never for games that the Hurricanes have played in, but I think that the PNC Center has to pretty much be top tier as far as experience for away fans go.
I've been to a few, mostly in the southeast, as a visiting fan. Back in my pre-Cane-fan days, the RBC Center was by far and away the most welcoming environment I'd ever experienced. It really helped sell me on the team and living in the area, to be honest.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:08 AM
  #93
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,092
vCash: 500
The sad thing is, 8 out of the next 10 games are on the road, and with the exception of maybe one or two, none of those 10 seem like winnable games unless Carolina does a complete 180.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:10 AM
  #94
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,581
vCash: 500
Is it too early for Stop Winnin' for MacKinnon?

Or Hear the Groans for Jones (you try to find a word that rhymes with Jones)?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:15 AM
  #95
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 23,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Is it too early for Stop Winnin' for MacKinnon?

Or Pay the Loans for Jones (you try to find a word that rhymes with Jones)?
Take Meth for Seth?

And if given the opportunity, it's Seth over MacKinnon, no contest. Our defensive pool is next to nil.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
  #96
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall
 
halleJOKEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,524
vCash: 500
Seth, please.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:32 AM
  #97
totaltank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
Seth, please.
You guys are completely forgetting how we roll. We get hopes up over the summer. Then we look so awful early, even a blind man can see we're getting a top 2 pick. Then once we've resigned ourselves to another spring with no playoffs, we console ourselves with the knowledge we'll have a high pick in the draft. Then the team will go on a tear, and we'll start tossing around the word "playoffs" again. Then we fall short and pick 11th.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
  #98
La Huracanista
Registered User
 
La Huracanista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
How incredible for a hockey team to lose 2 games in a row. Truly we should panic.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
  #99
totaltank
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
How incredible for a hockey team to lose 2 games in a row. Truly we should panic.
You are either A) delusional, B) didn't watch either game, or C) trolling.

They didn't lose two games in a row, then haven't even been in either game. They haven't even competed for points yet.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:41 AM
  #100
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
You guys are completely forgetting how we roll. We get hopes up over the summer. Then we look so awful early, even a blind man can see we're getting a top 2 pick. Then once we've resigned ourselves to another spring with no playoffs, we console ourselves with the knowledge we'll have a high pick in the draft. Then the team will go on a tear, and we'll start tossing around the word "playoffs" again. Then we fall short and pick 11th.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
This is frighteningly accurate.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.