HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jimmy Howard to the Leafs

Old
01-23-2013, 06:20 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Jimmy Howard to the Leafs

What would it take to get Jimmy Howard if the red wings were to fall out of the race early? The more I think about it the more Howard makes since. Don't get me wrong Scrivens has been solid but I think with this team being as young as it is I think Nonis will want to add some experience at 28 Howard serves as both an experience vet and long term peice hence he's the perfect fit.

what would he cost

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:28 AM
seanlinden

Detroit is the last team that's going to start selling off assets if they're out of it, and if they do, their 28-year old starting goaltender is unlikely to be one of them. They know the value of a winning culture.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Dr Pepper

vCash: 50
I feel Toronto was foolish to rely on Scrivens/Reimer to lead the Leafs in goal.

Holland would never make the same mistake.

01-23-2013, 06:34 AM
DoubleDose86

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Detroit is the last team that's going to start selling off assets if they're out of it, and if they do, their 28-year old starting goaltender is unlikely to be one of them. They know the value of a winning culture.
Howard is exactly what I'd want for the Leafs. Not too old. But has proven he can help a team win.

But as sean says, Detroit just wouldn't give him up. Too smart of a team to let a goaltender like Howard go.

DoubleDose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:48 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
Everything to Toronto! Your best players!

CorgisPer60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:23 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post

I don't know. I just don't see much for Detroit this year. Yes, injuries hurt, but even a healthy Detroit team is going to not look good IMO. You have some assets that can be sent to get younger. Howard, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Filippa and I guess Brunner can be your core to keep. I'd send Bertuzzi, Franzen, and some of the older guys that aren't productive for picks to try to restock the farm. Detroit is a model organization and will be going through a downward trend for a year or two. Still talent on the roster, but lets face it, most of the talent is old.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:43 AM
gabeliscious

who is going to play net for detroit if they trade toronto howard?

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:44 AM
The Podium

What are the chances he makes it to UFA status?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:44 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I don't know. I just don't see much for Detroit this year.
Even if that held up true, Detroit isn't about this year. Detroit is about a good balance between this year, next year, and in five years. And in any of those options, their 28-year-old starting goalie is a considerable factor.

Teams are aware how difficult fixing that position can be.

EDIT: I didn't realize he was actually a UFA at the end of the season. I don't suppose it actually changes anything, and I certainly expect things to get worked out (sooner rather than later), but that makes the entire premise a little less outlandish, to be fair.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Even if that held up true, Detroit isn't about this year. Detroit is about a good balance between this year, next year, and in five years. And in any of those options, their 28-year-old starting goalie is a considerable factor.

Teams are aware how difficult fixing that position can be.
Howard is very good but I dont believe he is a top 10 goalie

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I didn't say he was, and it doesn't really matter, IMO. Whether it's top-10 or just a very reliable starter who's below 30, it's something organisations don't take for granted, and that can be very difficult to fill.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:00 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Bottom line, you don't trade Howard unless you have a kid ready to go and I'm talking the goalie of the future. I'm not certain Detroit has one of those. Detroit isn't the type of organization to tank regardless of the situation. That said, they have some moves they can make to secure a better future.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:22 AM
doorman

Quote:
Bottom line, you don't trade Howard unless you have a kid ready to go and I'm talking the goalie of the future. I'm not certain Detroit has one of those. Detroit isn't the type of organization to tank regardless of the situation. That said, they have some moves they can make to secure a better future.
Could they be an unknown player in Loungo talks though? If this is the case they maybe looking to move Howard. Not saying to the Leafs, just saying looking to move him.

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Could they be an unknown player in Loungo talks though? If this is the case they maybe looking to move Howard. Not saying to the Leafs, just saying looking to move him.
Not feeling that. Something about Luongo in Detroit doesn't feel like it would be a good thing. I'm not sure what Vancouver is looking for. Are they trying to just get rid of the contract and acquire picks and a veteran like Bertuzzi, or are they looking for a significant return. I'm not sure there is a match here if the return is going to be significant.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:36 AM
pdd

If Howard were to be traded to the Leafs, it would probably be something hefty.

1) 1st round pick.
2) Defenseman, probably Gunnarsson, although Holland would likely ask for Phaneuf and/or Gardiner.
3) Forward, a guy who is under 30 and fits the Wings' playing style. Kulemin, Grabovski, or Van Riemsdyk would be a good pick here.
4) One of Scrivens or Reimer.

Kyle Quincey likely goes with Jimmy Howard. It's possible that Valtteri Filppula is also involved in the deal, which would likely mean Toronto is sending more back than what I've detailed above.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:39 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
If Howard were to be traded to the Leafs, it would probably be something hefty.

1) 1st round pick.
2) Defenseman, probably Gunnarsson, although Holland would likely ask for Phaneuf and/or Gardiner.
3) Forward, a guy who is under 30 and fits the Wings' playing style. Kulemin, Grabovski, or Van Riemsdyk would be a good pick here.
4) One of Scrivens or Reimer.

Kyle Quincey likely goes with Jimmy Howard. It's possible that Valtteri Filppula is also involved in the deal, which would likely mean Toronto is sending more back than what I've detailed above.
hahahahah for an UFA howard?

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
wingfan

Quote:
Not feeling that. Something about Luongo in Detroit doesn't feel like it would be a good thing. I'm not sure what Vancouver is looking for. Are they trying to just get rid of the contract and acquire picks and a veteran like Bertuzzi, or are they looking for a significant return. I'm not sure there is a match here if the return is going to be significant.
There is no such thing as a significant return on a contract like Luongo's. Detroit says we'll give you, I don't know, Cleary, Quincey, and a 2nd. Vancouver says no. Detroit says alright, buy him out and get nothing. This, in my opinion, is the issue with a trade happening. Vancouver is probably trying to squeeze every drop of value out of Luongo, but in all reality he doesn't have much. I don't blame Vancouver, and Luongo is still an elite goaltender, but at this point it's trade him just to get something in return, or buy him out, eat his salary, and get nothing in return... Detroit has the cap space. Howard could be a very lucrative asset for Detroit if something like this were to go through(I'm talking Jake Gardiner or Morgan Reilly lucrative for a team with goalies that can't stop beach balls, and complain all you want TO fans, this is what it'd take to get Howie out of Detroit).

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Jurky
Rotting in purgatory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
What are the chances he makes it to UFA status?
IMO, slim to none, even if they miss the playoffs this year.

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:55 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
There is no such thing as a significant return on a contract like Luongo's. Detroit says we'll give you, I don't know, Cleary, Quincey, and a 2nd. Vancouver says no. Detroit says alright, buy him out and get nothing. This, in my opinion, is the issue with a trade happening. Vancouver is probably trying to squeeze every drop of value out of Luongo, but in all reality he doesn't have much. I don't blame Vancouver, and Luongo is still an elite goaltender, but at this point it's trade him just to get something in return, or buy him out, eat his salary, and get nothing in return... Detroit has the cap space. Howard could be a very lucrative asset for Detroit if something like this were to go through(I'm talking Jake Gardiner or Morgan Reilly lucrative for a team with goalies that can't stop beach balls, and complain all you want TO fans, this is what it'd take to get Howie out of Detroit).
I'm not disagreeing with you in the least. His contract is horrid and Vancouver HAS TO move him. Those two facts lower his return. You ain't going to get a significant return for him and I'm talking two first rounders and a significant player. You are going to get a combo of a third line player, a role player and a third or fourth round pick.

As for Howard, I'm not sure if I'm Toronto, I'm sending a Gardiner or Reilly to secure Howard for 40 games before he bolts as a UFA.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:03 AM
wingfan

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you in the least. His contract is horrid and Vancouver HAS TO move him. Those two facts lower his return. You ain't going to get a significant return for him and I'm talking two first rounders and a significant player. You are going to get a combo of a third line player, a role player and a third or fourth round pick.

As for Howard, I'm not sure if I'm Toronto, I'm sending a Gardiner or Reilly to secure Howard for 40 games before he bolts as a UFA.
I understand this cause for concern, but my guess is that if TO is trading for a goalie of Howard's caliber, they are going to lock him up on a deal that is going to pay him much more than a team like Detroit will. I bet he could get 6/30 out of TO, or something around there. If he stays in Detroit, my guess is Holland offers 5/15 or thereabouts max as Detroit has only paid big bucks for two guys in recent memory, Dominik Hasek and Curtis Joseph. We are also talking about the Toronto Maple Leafs, regardless of whether Burke is there or not. Detroit has no reason to move a core piece for anything less than a blue chip prospect.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:08 AM
syc

If they Leafs trade for Howard it would be Raycroft 2.0 all over again. That guy is not a good goalie whos stats are inflated due to the team in front of him.

He not even a top 20 goalie in the NHL let alone a top 10.

Wouldn't even give them a 2nd round pick for him.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:14 AM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
who is going to play net for detroit if they trade toronto howard?
Haven't been in the Luongo thread? Seems some believe Detriot is Mike Gillis' mystery team.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:22 AM
icKx
Vanek 4 Prez

Quote:
If you say so. He was Vezina-caliber last season prior to injury in February.

Lundqvist
Rinne
Quick
Ward
Price

You've got those guys clearly above Howard and then a handful of debatable ones. I'd slot him around #9

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:27 AM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I feel Toronto was foolish to rely on Scrivens/Reimer to lead the Leafs in goal.

Holland would never make the same mistake.
*looks at the Wings D corps*

Well, I guess it's not the SAME mistake.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:40 AM
roboninja
EYG

vCash: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
maybe come back and post when the booze and drugs wear off ehhh?
I agree with him. I see Howard as average at best.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote