HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

When would you start considering busting up the KGM line?

View Poll Results: When should Carlyle start experimenting with the 2nd line?
Now 44 41.90%
1-2 games 9 8.57%
3-5 games 25 23.81%
5-10 games 14 13.33%
10+ games 5 4.76%
Leave it alone for the season 8 7.62%
Never 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
  #101
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Did I read the Leafs stats correctly? Grabo has zero shots on goal in two games?

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:53 PM
  #102
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Did I read the Leafs stats correctly? Grabo has zero shots on goal in two games?
Yeah its MacArthurs fault though(kiddin)

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:53 PM
  #103
TSBSoupsta
Registered User
 
TSBSoupsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Now. Problem is we have two good lines in Line 1 and Line 3, so it's hard to break them up without also breaking up those two good lines.

TSBSoupsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
  #104
Winreims
Registered User
 
Winreims's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Yeah its MacArthurs fault though(kiddin)


I know SOG isn't a stat that determines EVERYTHING, but Mac at least has seven. I'd say the weakest links of the line so far have been Grabo and Kulemin, and it kills me to say that because I really like Grabovski.

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:58 PM
  #105
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Leafsdude7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,040
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Last night Kadri had about the same icetime as the Grabo line. I dont think this is about 'demoting' Grabo and JVR to 'promote' Kadri. I think it's more about getting Grabo and Kulemin going, and I think more icetime for Kadri likely means 1st PP unit.
While stating this, keep in mind that Kadri played almost all of the last 3 minutes as the extra attacker. One has to figure that, if the game was out of reach or we weren't losing that he would have had 3-6 minutes less than the Grabovski line.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
  #106
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
Did I read the Leafs stats correctly? Grabo has zero shots on goal in two games?
Yep, him and Kulemin both.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
  #107
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
Last night Kadri had about the same icetime as the Grabo line. I dont think this is about 'demoting' Grabo and JVR to 'promote' Kadri. I think it's more about getting Grabo and Kulemin going, and I think more icetime for Kadri likely means 1st PP unit.
I think its a message to the ones not going to pick it up. I think its a message the ones going maybe should be together,so the ones not can sit on the bench together,without messing up the decision flow much lol.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:40 PM
  #108
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post


I know SOG isn't a stat that determines EVERYTHING, but Mac at least has seven. I'd say the weakest links of the line so far have been Grabo and Kulemin, and it kills me to say that because I really like Grabovski.
Me to i like them, just giving a honest evaluation with no agenda behind it at all.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
  #109
Raging Bull
Registered User
 
Raging Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,395
vCash: 500
MacArthur and Grabovski I'm not concerned with, both are streaky and will put up their standard 20 goal paces. Kulemin I'd consider moving around to get him going.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:43 PM
  #110
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,866
vCash: 500
Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulemin
Mac-Bozak-Komarov
Brown-Mcclement-Orr

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
  #111
dimi78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Grabs, Kulemin and MacArthur all suck to some degree as individuals.

Grabovski has tunnel vision for a center, makes terrible off tempo passes that dribble into turnovers or end up behind his wingers and looks like he is in 2nd gear at least 40% of the season when he's not doing his Gilmour impressions and making fans forget the rest of play.

MacArthur is a somewhat lazy player who isn't particularly defensively conscientious, and only seems to shine when someone else is spoon-feeding him with bang bang plays. He's not fast, he's not strong, he doesn't care about winning puck battles.

Kulemin used to have some offensive instinct, but it looks like he's more comfortable just making the least technically difficult/creative play and running back to the bench.
Very interesting point of view... Although I wouldn't tag them with "suck" but they do have limitations that's for sure.

Kulemin is a two way forward but he has one short coming in that he's not a very good stick handler with the puck to make passing plays, although he's struggled to score he does have a lethal shot, big & strong who can flat out skate... He's smart positionally and reads the play pretty good, does all the little things if on an offensive line that allow the other 2 who should be the SKILL on that line mesh and do there thing. He's a glue player on an offensive line not the skill player on an offensive line. The real issue with that line is the other 2 don't mesh. MacArthur is a passenger and I agree 100% of your view of him, Grabo I think part of the reason he's like that is do to MacArthur being a passenger. Grabo isn't a star player and is being asked to do too much, at times when he's on his warrior mode we see good things from the line cause he's everywhere but he can't sustain that level of play HE NEEDS HELP not passengers.

MacArthur is lethal from the hash marks in as a trigger guy a one trick pony just don't ask him to make plays, he's not a very heady player in making plays or understand off the cycle where to position himself which is why that line struggles on the offensive cycle when Grabo isn't in warrior mode.

the GK part of the line is fine in fact the K part of it can play on any line being as he's a glue guy however the MG part of the line doesn't work unless G plays like a god.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:06 PM
  #112
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Very interesting point of view... Although I wouldn't tag them with "suck" but they do have limitations that's for sure.

Kulemin is a two way forward but he has one short coming in that he's not a very good stick handler with the puck to make passing plays, although he's struggled to score he does have a lethal shot, big & strong who can flat out skate... He's smart positionally and reads the play pretty good, does all the little things if on an offensive line that allow the other 2 who should be the SKILL on that line mesh and do there thing. He's a glue player on an offensive line not the skill player on an offensive line. The real issue with that line is the other 2 don't mesh. MacArthur is a passenger and I agree 100% of your view of him, Grabo I think part of the reason he's like that is do to MacArthur being a passenger. Grabo isn't a star player and is being asked to do too much, at times when he's on his warrior mode we see good things from the line cause he's everywhere but he can't sustain that level of play HE NEEDS HELP not passengers.

MacArthur is lethal from the hash marks in as a trigger guy a one trick pony just don't ask him to make plays, he's not a very heady player in making plays or understand off the cycle where to position himself which is why that line struggles on the offensive cycle when Grabo isn't in warrior mode.

the GK part of the line is fine in fact the K part of it can play on any line being as he's a glue guy however the MG part of the line doesn't work unless G plays like a god.
This made me laugh! I know all the Goalies in NHL can hardly sleep the night before they face Clark MacArthur

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:21 PM
  #113
dimi78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
This made me laugh! I know all the Goalies in NHL can hardly sleep the night before they face Clark MacArthur
Why did this make you laugh he can score goals... One name to who Clark MacArthur is as a player remember Jonathan Cheechoo? He is deadly in scoring opportunities that's why he's scored goals at the NHL level but the rest of his game is entirely depended on his line mates which for me completely washes away that he's a scoring threat. Don't like him, didn't like him the first year during his career season with the Leafs but that doesn't mean I should be blind like some people when they don't like a particular player in recognizing there strength.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
  #114
bansheebeat
Cherry-Coloured Funk
 
bansheebeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
I voted to keep them together only because I like how the 3rd line is playing at the moment. I see that Carlyle has changed the lines already, but I don't like the fact that he's taking JVR off Kadri's wing. If Kadri is playing well, why replace the most skilled winger he has for a less skilled winger? That's crazy to me. He should have just given that line more minutes or switched Mac and Komarov.

bansheebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:34 PM
  #115
rumman
Registered User
 
rumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
trade all three of them

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
  #116
4evaBlue
Registered User
 
4evaBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050

van Riemsdyk flips onto the second line with Grabovski and Kulemin. MacArthur joins Kadri and Komarov.
Hmm, trying to figure it out. It almost looks like it's a promotion for Mac, not a demotion. He's been the only one on his line actually taking shots on net, and now he gets to play with a hot Kadri, replacing JVR, who's started the season pretty slowly.

Mac: 7 shots, 1 hit
Kadri: 3 shots, 4 hits
Komarov: 2 shots, 9 hits

JVR: 3 shots, 1 hit
Kulemin: 3 shots, 6 hits
Grabo: 0 shots, 0 hits

^ This looks like this season's "sleeper" line. Who's going to pass on this line?

P.S.: Apparently Randy reads HFBoards.


Last edited by 4evaBlue: 01-22-2013 at 06:41 PM.
4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:41 PM
  #117
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,666
vCash: 500
Now.

If they aren't going, don't keep it going. Especially if a Kadri or a JvR is having a decent night. Move them up.

I'm not at all happy with the way that line has played the first 2 games - just a bad taste for the way they started season.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
  #118
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
Hmm, trying to figure it out. It almost looks like it's a promotion for Mac, not a demotion. He's been the only one on his line actually taking shots on net, and now he gets to play with a hot Kadri, replacing JVR, who's started the season pretty slowly.

Mac: 7 shots, 1 hit
Kadri: 3 shots, 4 hits
Komarov: 2 shots, 9 hits

JVR: 3 shots, 1 hit
Kulemin: 3 shots, 6 hits
Grabo: 0 shots, 0 hits

^ This looks like this season's "sleeper" line. Who's going to pass on this line?

P.S.: Apparently Randy reads HFBoards.
Ya, when I heard those line combos I really questioned them. I don't understand why we have to keep the same guys together year after year. It's a mentality that the team has had since the time of the big head. I'm not saying split them up and keep them there, just give it a shot for a game or two.

JVR Kadri Kessel -------- #1 line with big man, playmaker and sniper
MacA Grabbo Lupul ------- Offence in increased on the second with the addition of Lupes
Komorov Bozak Kulemin ------ Pain in the azz shutdown line.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:28 AM
  #119
caribouPINE
Registered User
 
caribouPINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by namttebih View Post
Ya, when I heard those line combos I really questioned them. I don't understand why we have to keep the same guys together year after year. It's a mentality that the team has had since the time of the big head. I'm not saying split them up and keep them there, just give it a shot for a game or two.

JVR Kadri Kessel -------- #1 line with big man, playmaker and sniper
MacA Grabbo Lupul ------- Offence in increased on the second with the addition of Lupes
Komorov Bozak Kulemin ------ Pain in the azz shutdown line.
Those are some lines I'd seriously consider giving a try at some point this season (when we need a shakeup). I like the thought process on all 3.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:34 AM
  #120
Auzzie19
Registered User
 
Auzzie19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gormley
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 500
I think we gotta get a kkk line going if our offence doesn't start kickin.

Kulemin-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Lupul
Komorov-Bozak-Mac
Brown-McClement-Orr

Just experimental

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:37 AM
  #121
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie19 View Post
I think we gotta get a kkk line going if our offence doesn't start kickin.

Kulemin-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Lupul
Komorov-Bozak-Mac
Brown-McClement-Orr

Just experimental
I like the second line.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:38 AM
  #122
namttebih
Registered User
 
namttebih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East York
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Those are some lines I'd seriously consider giving a try at some point this season (when we need a shakeup). I like the thought process on all 3.
Thanks. As I said, it wouldn't have to be full time and Lupul and Kessel would obviously still play together on PP1

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:48 AM
  #123
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,782
vCash: 500
Mac is underrated, think we will find out tonight just how much he is missed by his linemates.

But they had to do something with this line, it's been asleep going back to last season.

Disclaimer - This is a hockey board, I reserve the right to speculate

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.