HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 : DAL @ DET 3 Stars and Wrapup

View Poll Results: 3 Stars = ? ? ?
Lehtonen 66 79.52%
Ryder 51 61.45%
Brunner 28 33.73%
Howard 64 77.11%
Datsyuk 6 7.23%
Filppula 1 1.20%
Zetterberg 6 7.23%
Kronwall 2 2.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2013, 01:26 AM
  #76
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post

Quincey was noticeably bad. Whenever he's on the ice, a fog of chaos and confusion just seems to follow and everything goes all to hell. When E gets healthy, I'd consider just doing a straight sub and running with Kronwall-Lashoff/Smith-E/Huskins-White as our D pairings.
I don't want Ericsson anywhere near Smitty. You guys are all lulled into some form of amnesia right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z40 View Post
3 Stars

1. Lehtonen
2. Howard
3. Ryder

Our PP has to start scoring if we're going to win games. WHY CAN'T WE SCORE GOALS!?!?

Kyle Quincey?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:41 AM
  #77
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
That's what I thought too. Wings generated some good chances, hit some posts, and Lehtonen had an outstanding game.

This was a good battle. I didn't think any one defenseman really looked putrid.
Which is really what "defense by committee" is all about. The big question is, now that we've signed Huskins, what happens when everyone's healthy?

Huskins looked pretty solid. Kindl comes back soon, so it's probably now or never (in Detroit) for Jakub. Alternatively, Quincey can be dealt. White is UFA at the end of the year but is unlikely to be traded unless the team is a deadline seller (read: terrible record) so we can pretty much figure that the defensive pairings will look something like this with a healthy post-Quincey defense:

Kronwall-Huskins
Smith-Ericsson
Kindl/Colaiacovo-White

Alternatively:

Kronwall-White
Smith-Huskins
Kindl-Ericsson
Colaiacovo

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:41 AM
  #78
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBilly View Post
No, he's not. He doesn't have a hard slapshot and will always shift down to the post for a wrister. Also, he's at best average on defense. There is absolutely no reason to have him at the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Brunner leads the league in shots on goal
Welcome to our new fans from Switzerland.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
I don't get the complaints about Franzen. He was vital in two of our goals yesterday and he's been working hard. I think you guys are letting your bias towards him blind you from his performance. Yes, he could be doing better but he's the least of our problems at the moment.
He's a bit streaky but by the end of the season, he'll somehow manage to be the leading goal scorer and he'll still get ragged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
Is Brendan Smith struggling that bad? I thought he would be making more of an impack, albeit only 3 games in.
Wings can't really score very well at the moment, so the fans are putting rookies under the microscope. He'll be fine. I think this was his best game of the three so far. He's figuring out how to use his speed a bit better. He'll learn to be more physical as the games wear on. Next, he has to find his offensive flair. He's still being overly cautious.

Hell, our idiot coach had Lashoff in more offensive type settings than Smitty, who's supposed to be a future PP QB. Maybe it's a reverse psychology kind of thing, to scare him into it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
They can't play puck possession anymore.

Remember when people called Lidstrom and Rafalski overpaid?

Yup.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 AM
  #79
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Which is really what "defense by committee" is all about. The big question is, now that we've signed Huskins, what happens when everyone's healthy?

Huskins looked pretty solid. Kindl comes back soon, so it's probably now or never (in Detroit) for Jakub. Alternatively, Quincey can be dealt. White is UFA at the end of the year but is unlikely to be traded unless the team is a deadline seller (read: terrible record) so we can pretty much figure that the defensive pairings will look something like this with a healthy post-Quincey defense:

Kronwall-Huskins
Smith-Ericsson
Kindl/Colaiacovo-White

Alternatively:

Kronwall-White
Smith-Huskins
Kindl-Ericsson
Colaiacovo

I know I'm in the minority by far, but I'm not ready to abandon my concerns over Ericsson. In my wildest dreams, I never imagined him as belong in the top two. That's scarier to me than Quincey on the second pairing.

However--- Holland is going to keep both because both are signed through next year. Coca-cola is also signed for two years, so unless something really strange happens, he's not going anywhere either. He's a veteran. Kronwall is the only guy with a longterm contract, at the moment, and KH is terrified of having to pick over the scrap heaps again, or worse yet, trade assets to get mid- and depth defenders.

Whether or not White comes back will really depend on just what kind of year he has; and if he wants to stay in Detroit.

At this point, I think KH will consider Kronwall, Ericsson and Smitty as guys he's keeping no matter what. Quincey is still a serviceable defenseman who can play all situations, but he's got this year and next to get it together.

If Kindl gets any playing time, he's going to have to be incredible. I don't see it, unfortunately for him.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:42 AM
  #80
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 29,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
That's what I thought too. Wings generated some good chances, hit some posts, and Lehtonen had an outstanding game.

This was a good battle. I didn't think any one defenseman really looked putrid. Smitty looked a bit more stable and Lashoff looked more kid-like tonight than the last game.

Offense was getting more pressure on net, were in the Stars zone quite a bit. Love Brunner. Good nose for the net and he loves to shoot!

Howard was outstanding.

Decent game all things said. You hate to lose, but it was a close one and the difference was crossbar here and there (like Fil's early on).
My one issue is without Howard being outstanding tonight, the game isn't decent whatsoever.

I didn't get to watch all of the first two games but it seems like this game is par for the course so far when we are talking about defense.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:46 AM
  #81
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
My one issue is without Howard being outstanding tonight, the game isn't decent whatsoever.

I didn't get to watch all of the first two games but it seems like this game is par for the course so far when we are talking about defense.

How do you think Lehtonen did for the Stars?


I think he also was their difference maker. If I compare this game to the St Louis game, I don't see the Wings on their heels the entire game like they were against St. Louis. They spent almost no time in the attacking zone against STL. In tonight's game, I felt that they generated several great opportunities but failed to convert. They had points in the game where they maintained pressure.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:59 AM
  #82
bullocks
Registered User
 
bullocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Lashoff has been better, Smith should take notes. Lashy scored a goal, kills 5 on 4s, 4 on 3s, 5 on 3s... just overall solid. And he is almost 2 years younger.

Mabye we can package up Nyquist and Smith for a good tough defenseman, maybe Bogo or use Smith to trade for PK Subban's rights.. PK is younger too.
I guess u forgot to mention how Lashoff left Ryder wide open in the slot for their 2nd goal? I don't get your hate for Smith. He had a pretty good game the past two. Considering ur the biggest Red Wings homer there is it really is something.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:18 AM
  #83
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
My one issue is without Howard being outstanding tonight, the game isn't decent whatsoever.

I didn't get to watch all of the first two games but it seems like this game is par for the course so far when we are talking about defense.
Yep. So far the Wings D has allowed 36 SOG by St Louis, 33 by C-bus, and 32 by Dallas. Granted, the Wings were able to outshoot both the Jackets and the Stars, but those are still high SOG allowed #'s against average to possibly below average offenses (C-bus anyway). I'm not the first to say it, but what happens when Detroit plays the teams with elite offensive talent on multiple lines? Could be seeing 50+ shots allowed which is going to wear Jimmy out.

The offense needs to start sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and the D better improve on clearing the puck out, or the long season will continue.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:39 AM
  #84
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 16,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Tootoo deserves more minutes, and I think he brings more to his minutes than Gator and Miller do, who get significantly more. Maybe it's just a reflection of his linemates not getting much time either, but given the general lack of spectacular on our bottom6, this guy should be playing more.
I don't know if he was just caught in between a shift change or it was on purpose, but I saw Tootoo out there with Datsyuk once.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:53 AM
  #85
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,851
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I don't want Ericsson anywhere near Smitty. You guys are all lulled into some form of amnesia right now.
No, it's more a question of who would you put out there? I don't like the idea of an all rookie pairing with Smith-Lashoff, and pairing him with either of White or CC just seems to be more of what they're trying. That leaves Kronner or Huskins. I'd be curious to see Smith with Kronner, but then you're really throwing the kid to the wolves. Huskins might not be so bad.

Probably says something that I'd forgotten about Kindl entirely until just before posting this. Seems like a bad idea putting a guy who might be a bit too exuberant with a guy who seems a bit too tentative, though.

__________________
RIP David
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:01 AM
  #86
wingfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
My game observations:

-Howard played a great game. I will say that the first shot was savable, I do not blame him for it as Ryder is a sniper and was given too much time, but for this team to have any sort of success this year, Jimmy is going to have to make the saves he is SUPPOSED TO, and a lot he isn't.
-We can toot Howard's horn all day, but in reality, if it were not for Kari Lehtonen, this game could've been lopsided our way.
-Brunner finally nets one on a dead tired Kari Lehtonen, good to see him put one in after being robbed a solid 4-5 times earlier in the game. I know Z and Brunner played together in the Swiss league, but I like the Pav/Brunner chemistry more. Pav draws so many guys to him and is so good moving the puck in traffic, and Brunner has all the skill to deliver when Pav sets him up.
-Filppula is so much stronger on the puck than I can ever remember him. He might have the tie for second best set of hands on the team with Brunner(behind Pav of course).
-Hank is trying to do way too much.
-Huskins was a solid pickup. I liked his defensive play, especially for his first game in a long time. Could be a VERY solid signing by Holland as a foundation #5/6 guy.
-We're 1-2 right now, without Jonathan Ericsson, Darren Helm, and Todd Bertuzzi. RELAX everyone. We are going to be getting back our two best PK'ers soon in Helm and Ericsson, and a big body with skill in Bertuzzi. I like our team this year.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:14 AM
  #87
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
If Brian Lashoff is 6'3 I'll eat my hat.
Guy looks small out there

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:16 AM
  #88
BF3
Boom Roasted.
 
BF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 1,497
vCash: 500
Frustrating. Defense is getting better (not saying much), offense is not working. Special teams are just atrocious.

We. Need. To. Shoot. The. Puck. It seemed like we passed up great opportunities, and then later just started throwing it at the net from all angles when we were down two in the third. We need to test the opposing keepers early and often, and we've only done that once and that was against CBJ. When the best offensive player over three games is a Swiss league rookie, that is an issue.

Helm and Bert (maybe Ericsson) back in the lineup + two day layoff at home should = good, even against the Wild. Otherwise, the Red Wings = ****ed.

Lineup Prediction for Friday:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Bert
Filppula-Z-Brunner
Cleary-Helm-Miller
Eaves-Abdelkader-Tootoo

No idea what the D pairings will look like.

BF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:17 AM
  #89
JBauerly97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I don't know if he was just caught in between a shift change or it was on purpose, but I saw Tootoo out there with Datsyuk once.
Noticed that too, towards the end of the game I think.

JBauerly97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:31 AM
  #90
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the Tubes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
...
You're just looking for reasons to call out Smith; he hasn't been nearly as bad as you're claiming, and Quincey has been much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Franzen has been playing well, and surprisingly has been physical, engaged, and defensively active. Will it last? Maybe, maybe not. We can hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
He's a bit streaky but by the end of the season, he'll somehow manage to be the leading goal scorer and he'll still get ragged.
I wouldn't go as far as saying he's playing "well," but he hasn't been terrible, and at the rate the Wings are going, the title of "leading scorer" might not carry too much weight.

Quote:
Wings can't really score very well at the moment, so the fans are putting rookies under the microscope. He'll be fine. I think this was his best game of the three so far. He's figuring out how to use his speed a bit better. He'll learn to be more physical as the games wear on. Next, he has to find his offensive flair. He's still being overly cautious.
See, I think he's not being cautious enough and trying to do too much -- especially paired with Quaker State. Honest question: Is La Quinta supposed to be an offensive or defensive defenseman? In fact, maybe Babcock should try him at forward, because he's looking less like a defenseman and more like a takingupspaceandcausingissuesonthebluelineman at this point.

Quote:
Hell, our idiot coach had Lashoff in more offensive type settings than Smitty, who's supposed to be a future PP QB. Maybe it's a reverse psychology kind of thing, to scare him into it.
Lolwut?

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:33 AM
  #91
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner
 
LastWordArmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Redmond View Post
I can't remember the last time they were this bad. It's like 2008 Michigan football all over again. Holland should resign if they don't make the playoffs.
Yes, Holland should resign after giving you playoffs for how many years and how many cups? Please. Take a breath and realize that we have tons of injuries, it is only game 3, and stop, just stop.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:56 AM
  #92
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
when he laid down the in crease and stayed there while the Wings had the puck.


that was hilarious.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:00 AM
  #93
Xvash2
Registered User
 
Xvash2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Kyle Quincey is so bad that after 3 games he is a -4. Detroit has had 11 goals scored against them, with 6 being on the powerplay, which means Quincey has been on the ice for nearly every even-strength goal against. In total, he has been on the ice for 6 of our 11 goals against, over half, which is pretty impressive for someone who, by all averages should be out for only 1/3rd of all goals against.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
  #94
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner
 
LastWordArmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
that was hilarious.
Was he being held down or did he just lay there? LOL I never see that before?

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:22 AM
  #95
RedMenace
100% Less Babcock
 
RedMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In the Tubes
Country: United States
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
Kyle Quincey is so bad that after 3 games he is a -4. Detroit has had 11 goals scored against them, with 6 being on the powerplay, which means Quincey has been on the ice for nearly every even-strength goal against. In total, he has been on the ice for 6 of our 11 goals against, over half, which is pretty impressive for someone who, by all averages should be out for only 1/3rd of all goals against.
And Smith is only -2, which means Quincey is bad with or without Smith.

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:36 AM
  #96
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 29,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
How do you think Lehtonen did for the Stars?


I think he also was their difference maker. If I compare this game to the St Louis game, I don't see the Wings on their heels the entire game like they were against St. Louis. They spent almost no time in the attacking zone against STL. In tonight's game, I felt that they generated several great opportunities but failed to convert. They had points in the game where they maintained pressure.
Lehtonen had some key saves for Dallas but other than a few opportunities it didn't seem like the Wings could generate much of anything. It reminded me a lot of their series against Nashville last year.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM
  #97
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(o)ϵ
Posts: 32,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Yep. So far the Wings D has allowed 36 SOG by St Louis, 33 by C-bus, and 32 by Dallas. Granted, the Wings were able to outshoot both the Jackets and the Stars, but those are still high SOG allowed #'s against average to possibly below average offenses (C-bus anyway). I'm not the first to say it, but what happens when Detroit plays the teams with elite offensive talent on multiple lines? Could be seeing 50+ shots allowed which is going to wear Jimmy out.

The offense needs to start sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and the D better improve on clearing the puck out, or the long season will continue.
Just clarifying that the kind of defense (and you may be saying exactly that) that suppresses SOGs is a team defense. If we're no longer a puck possession team, you can't blame the defenders for the higher SOG rate. That means the forwards aren't getting to the puck and hanging on to it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
No, it's more a question of who would you put out there? I don't like the idea of an all rookie pairing with Smith-Lashoff, and pairing him with either of White or CC just seems to be more of what they're trying. That leaves Kronner or Huskins. I'd be curious to see Smith with Kronner, but then you're really throwing the kid to the wolves. Huskins might not be so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post

Lolwut?
Maybe I was seeing things, but Lashoff was out with Kronwall? Top pairing? Greater offensive threat?

Then again, checking the TOI/gm, Smitty was second of the D at close to 21 and Kronner led at 25+. Smitty was getting more IT with Dats and Z as Babs starting mixing things up a bit in the third.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:18 AM
  #98
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 9,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Love Brunner. Good nose for the net
Be nice, Fugu.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
  #99
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 9,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGarBarGar View Post
Lehtonen had some key saves for Dallas but other than a few opportunities it didn't seem like the Wings could generate much of anything. It reminded me a lot of their series against Nashville last year.
Most of those saves were routine for a guy like Lehts. He's a big boy, never misses the easy ones, has excellent rebound control, so you have to make him scramble a little, block his vision, or pop in rebounds.

Sounds like somebody else...


Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:24 AM
  #100
HTT3*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xvash2 View Post
Kyle Quincey is so bad that after 3 games he is a -4. Detroit has had 11 goals scored against them, with 6 being on the powerplay, which means Quincey has been on the ice for nearly every even-strength goal against. In total, he has been on the ice for 6 of our 11 goals against, over half, which is pretty impressive for someone who, by all averages should be out for only 1/3rd of all goals against.
Yep, and Howard was on the ice for all 11 of them too... Guess that means Howard sucks and should be traded

Or maybe Monster was on the ice for one of them because Howard was pulled...

Wings scored a whopping 4 goals since the start of the season

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.