HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - 5.0 - The "Doughty Money Vs. Lowball Bridge" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 08:49 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
My friend says that on tsn690 that Bob Mckenzie said he thinks PK will be traded?????

Did he correct?

Old
01-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
My friend says that on tsn690 that Bob Mckenzie said he thinks PK will be traded?????

Did he correct?
No, that's not what he said...he was speaking hypothetically, in a 'worst case scenario'.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:56 AM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
No, that's not what he said...he was speaking hypothetically, in a 'worst case scenario'.
Thanks for clarifying, and reducing my ambient panic levels.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Oh yhea. HE was the reason we started 1-4-2
He was a big part of it, have up a bad goal pretty much each game and his save % was around .850.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:58 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
friend is saying that Bob said he doesn't feel too positive that PK will sign anytime soon and that could realistically lead to a trade.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
friend is saying that Bob said he doesn't feel too positive that PK will sign anytime soon and that could realistically lead to a trade.
The Habs aren't trading Subban, let's just forget that...let's just hope they get a deal done soon.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:26 AM
capnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I don't know if you read what I linked, but it's pretty clear what he was saying. His point was that trading Subban to move up 2 spots and ''something else'' would be something he'd consider from a MTL perspective and would not dismiss entirely.

Usually ''something else'' is not a particularly valuable asset.
Bit of a reach there no?

Old
01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

PK looking more like a prima donna -- get on the ice and play hockey.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Markov has helped win one game.

You wanna "do the math" then go ahead, knowledgeable fans know where this team can go without PK Subban: 13th or 14th place in the conference as the maximum likelihood outcome, and if *everything* goes well, a ceiling that is a Cinderella run all the way to a 4 or 5 game first round playoff exit.
The only reason why I think you might be wrong is that this season, it seems, will depend on special teams even more so than in the past. Refs are going to be even more harsh apparently.
We have guys that are solid on the PK and we have a strong goalie. If our PP can click like it did yesterday, I think we have a very good chance to make the POs.
Will they click is the only question but the possibility is definitely there.

However, with PK in the line up, I would bet that we'd make them.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Jigger77

To me last night clearly showed how much PK still has to learn to be able to carry a game like that the way Markov did last night. Not only in terms of scoring goals, but in terms of dictating the play, making those first passes each and every shift, quarterbacking a powerplay and controlling the play allowing the Habs to pretty much have constant puck possession. I love PK's enthusiasm and I think he has just as much raw skill if not more than Markov, but he still has a lot of refining to do in his game to get to Markov's level. Pay your dues kid, sign-up and work up to that lucrative contract that you will then deserve. You're not quite there yet.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:50 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Markov has helped win one game.

You wanna "do the math" then go ahead, knowledgeable fans know where this team can go without PK Subban: 13th or 14th place in the conference as the maximum likelihood outcome, and if *everything* goes well, a ceiling that is a Cinderella run all the way to a 4 or 5 game first round playoff exit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Markov usually can't pass the torch or anything else since both his hands are usually quite busy (holding crutches). The torch was automatically passed to Subban a long long time ago (been 3 years since we've seen a healthy Markov).

Everyone will despise Bergevin IF/WHEN Markov gets injured and Subban is still not signed (just a matter of time with Markov). It's frustrating...'cause Markov still has not learned how to protect himself (ex: Kadri hit last Saturday vs Leafs...Markov was so vulnerable you'd think he wanted to get injured...obviously I'm not saying he does but you know what I mean...he still turns his back to the player...fully trusting the player will not hit him from behind...****ing stupid if you ask me...dumb for such a cerebral player...Gorges and Subban should speak to Markov to let him know how to protect himself).

No Subban...No Markov... (it's coming!):
Bouillon - Gorges
Diaz - Emelin
Kaberle - Weber

top 3 overall pick...again, here we come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I see. So Markov is better but only by virtue of PK sitting out...

Compelling argument.
I think you all have VERY short term memory or have never seen Markov play.

pre injury Markov IS better than current PK. If he holds up and it seems after last night that he will, he is STILL better than current PK. Add to that Markov is playing and PK is playing Playstation, it's kind of a no brainer who's more important to the Habs right now.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 AM
BLONG7

This early in his career, PK seems to be getting some bad advice from his agent...

Old
01-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
To me last night clearly showed how much PK still has to learn to be able to carry a game like that the way Markov did last night. Not only in terms of scoring goals, but in terms of dictating the play, making those first passes each and every shift, quarterbacking a powerplay and controlling the play allowing the Habs to pretty much have constant puck possession. I love PK's enthusiasm and I think he has just as much raw skill if not more than Markov, but he still has a lot of refining to do in his game to get to Markov's level. Pay your dues kid, sign-up and work up to that lucrative contract that you will then deserve. You're not quite there yet.
He's 23yrs old...he's not supposed to be there already

Man, reading some posts (not yours specifically), listening to the radio/TV...it's ridiculous how much hate Subban gets

The character assasination of PK Subban rolls on...

Old
01-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
PK looking more like a prima donna -- get on the ice and play hockey.
No, he isn't. He's looking for the best possible deal. Again, it's business.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
This early in his career, PK seems to be getting some bad advice from his agent...
Or he's getting a lowball offer from the Habs.

MDZ money isn't realistic given when Subban did last year. His value is closer to what Hall/Eberle/Zajac etc signed...5-6 years 5+ mil. If MB absolutely only wants 2 years then 2 years and 9-9.5 mil total.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Jigger77

Quote:

Man, reading some posts (not yours specifically), listening to the radio/TV...it's ridiculous how much hate Subban gets

I did say I think he has as much if not more skill than Markov. I think there is a huge difference between character assassination and pointing out what needs refinement in his game. I love the kid. I just think Markov gave him a 101 on how to be a #1 defenseman last night. And I agree he's 23 years old and he's not there yet. Pretty much exactly my point. I know you didn't mean to target my post specifically though and I wholeheartedly agree with you. There is positive criticism then there is outright bashing.

Just too bad that on these boards sometimes the second you bring up a point about a player you're labeled a hater. The polarization on here is crazy sometimes.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:02 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I think you all have VERY short term memory or have never seen Markov play.

pre injury Markov IS better than current PK. If he holds up and it seems after last night that he will, he is STILL better than current PK. Add to that Markov is playing and PK is playing Playstation, it's kind of a no brainer who's more important to the Habs right now.
Nevermind just better than PK, he showed last night why he was arguably top 5 in the league before injuries. His anticipation defensively is also really incredible.

This doesn't Subban is any less valuable. He brings a whole different dimension to this team. Really hoping we're not lowballing him. Let's get him signed and let's get on with the season!

Old
01-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
you!!!! you must be 5yrs old writting a post like that.... wow Habs fans never cease to amaze me.
Mr. Hab is a known Markov hater, frankly most of us think he's never seen him play. You shouldn't take his posts seriously.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:07 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:

Well, Doughty is also 23 yrs old. I got to watch him up close at the Pepsi Center last night ($35 lower level tickets )

Doughty plays a vary mature game. Reminds me of how Markov seems to know when to conserve energy and when to jump in. I was very impressed with his poise (despite the Kings not really showing up). That's what people mean by "not being there yet".

However, I totally agree that it's annoying to hear all the criticism of PK that is based on non-hockey related stuff that's been blown out of proportion. Reminds me of when Ribs, Theo and, to a certain extent, Chelios, Corson, Carbo got traded. Huge mistakes. Hope we're not heading that way.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I did say I think he has as much if not more skill than Markov. I think there is a huge difference between character assassination and pointing out what needs refinement in his game. I love the kid. I just think Markov gave him a 101 on how to be a #1 defenseman last night. And I agree he's 23 years old and he's not there yet. Pretty much exactly my point. I know you didn't mean to target my post specifically though and I wholeheartedly agree with you. There is positive criticism then there is outright bashing.

Just too bad that on these boards sometimes the second you bring up a point about a player you're labeled a hater. The polarization on here is crazy sometimes.
Yeah agreed and like I said, I wasn't referring to your post specifically...I don't think what you said isn't true.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
onebighockeyfan

Looks like Meehan told PK to stop Tweeting. Excellent.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...Name=timeOnIce

Subban was 14th in the league in icetime played and 19th in icetime/game last season. This is why a Del Zotto offer would be deemed lowball. Subban was played like a #1 D and he was very effective defensively despite a couple bumps on the road last season.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Well, Doughty is also 23 yrs old. I got to watch him up close at the Pepsi Center last night ($35 lower level tickets )

Doughty plays a vary mature game. Reminds me of how Markov seems to know when to conserve energy and when to jump in. I was very impressed with his poise (despite the Kings not really showing up). That's what people mean by "not being there yet".

However, I totally agree that it's annoying to hear all the criticism of PK that is based on non-hockey related stuff that's been blown out of proportion. Reminds me of when Ribs, Theo and, to a certain extent, Chelios, Corson, Carbo got traded. Huge mistakes. Hope we're not heading that way.
Well Doughty was a #2 draft pick and he also plays on a much better team...PK Subban is still a little raw but think back to when he was drafted to the player he is today, that's a tremendous amount of growth in 5 years.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:12 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Best advice he got so far was to stop Tweeting crap. Next bit of advice is to stop behaving like a prima dona and get back on the ice with his team. If he does not accept the contract currently on the table, whatever it is within a week I say trade him. He'll net us something good.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Looks like Meehan told PK to stop Tweeting. Excellent.

It is sad when someone's enthusiasm has to be muted.

Closed Thread