HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Peter Bondra, hockey hall of fame?

Old
06-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Dangler99*

vCash: 500
No Absolutely not. He Has never been top 10 in scoring in a season and his stats are not hall of fame worthy. If this is the hall of fame how can a player who was never among the top 10 scorers get induction?
He would have two Richard Trophies if the award existed when he led the NHL in goals and some more top 10 goal scoring finishes but he never was a point producer which really hurts his chances in my opinion.

Last edited by Dangler99*: 06-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
revolverjgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta View Post
If this is the hall of fame how can a player who was never among the top 10 scorers get induction?
It just happened yesterday

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Dangler99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
It just happened yesterday
It should not happen ever though. If your not top 10 in scoring ever it means that you were not an Elite player in the NHL. Well at least offence wise.

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:59 AM
WingsFan95

It's not that he doesn't deserve to get in.

It's that there's several players who deserve to get in before him...

So I guess I'm being cheap by saying he won't get in because he's below the competition.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Theokritos

Belongs in the Washington Capitals Hall of Fame, but not in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Bondra was a really good player, but he's not a Hall of Famer. His career assist totals where to small for him go in the HHOF.

06-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Kamzik

If we deem the dead puck era to be 1994-2004, then we are keeping out the 2nd greatest goal scorer of that era, and dangerous penalty killer (he was first in SHG during that time).

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Infinite Vision*

Honestly, I think Bondra was just as good, if not better than Cam Neely.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Vision View Post
Honestly, I think Bondra was just as good, if not better than Cam Neely.
you forgot to finish your sentence with "at scoring goals in the regular season."

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:00 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Peter Bondra - Hall of Famer

Why this guy isn't considered a shoe-in to the Hall of Fame is beyond me. Let's look at his resume:

Played 1000 Games
One of The Fastest To 500 goals
Nearly 1000 points (892)
One Of The Best Slovakian Players Ever

Reached 500 goals faster than:

(Bold are Hall of Famers)

Jean Beliveau
Brendan Shanahan
Mike Modano
Mats Sundin
Jarome Iginla

And was less than 10 games within these players when he reached 500:

Gordie Howe
Mark Messier

Joe Sakic

What do you guys think about this travesty?

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
those arguments leave something to be desired

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Reached 500 goals faster than:

(Bold are Hall of Famers)

Jean Beliveau
Brendan Shanahan
Mike Modano
Mats Sundin
Jarome Iginla

And was less than 10 games within these players when he reached 500:

Gordie Howe
Mark Messier

Joe Sakic
The 8 players there all were named to at least 1 All-star team and were top 10 in points at least twice. Bondra has neither of those accolades on his resume. And they were all significantly better playoff performers.

Even with the HOF's crappy standards Bondra will never be inducted. I never heard or read anyone from the media even mentioning his case. He's long forgotten. Turgeon or Tkachuk have a better shot.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:06 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Well, Bondra had elite goal scoring ability no doubt. But is it enough for the Hall of Fame. I say no.

He led the league in goals twice (95, 98) and had 6 top-10 finishes. But he never finished top-10 in points. Actually he never broke the 90 point barrier, topping at 85 in -92. He broke the 80 point barrier three times which is not exactly a HoF material.

He was never 1st or 2nd team all-star and frankly he never was in the discussion of being the best RW in the game.

He finished his career with significantly less than 1000 points and his career PPG is 0.83.

He never had any success in the Play-Off's and no cup's to show for it. Only time when he managed to get in to the finals his team got sweep by Detroit.

I can't really say he was a Hall of Famer. He belongs in the Hall of Very good and frankly he is not even in the highest echelon in there.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
The 8 players there all were named to at least 1 All-star team and were top 10 in points at least twice. Bondra has neither of those accolades on his resume. And they were all significantly better playoff performers.

Even with the HOF's crappy standards Bondra will never be inducted. I never heard or read anyone from the media even mentioning his case. He's long forgotten. Turgeon or Tkachuk have a better shot.
Pretty sure Bondra was never even third in AS voting for RW

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Kloparren
Hth

I'd put him in but the HOF is snooty but with that said people don't really think of Bondra as one of the great players of the 90s. They do think of others not in the HOF like Kariya though and maybe even Mogilny before they think of Bondra. He was a star when he played but he's a forgotten player in a way. Maybe if he was NAmerican or played on a more prestigious team.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:45 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I'd put him in but the HOF is snooty but with that said people don't really think of Bondra as one of the great players of the 90s. They do think of others not in the HOF like Kariya though and maybe even Mogilny before they think of Bondra. He was a star when he played but he's a forgotten player in a way. Maybe if he was NAmerican or played on a more prestigious team.
I don't think Bondra's case is hurt too much due to the nationality. Unless he would have been robbed some credentials in his career.

HOF is not nearly as snooty as it could be in my opinion. Bondra just simply lack's all the credential's a Hall Of Famer should have by the end of career. Not a single all-star selection. Not a single award. Not a single cup/defining play-off. Not top-10 finishes in points. Under PPG for career. Under 1000 points (under 900 in fact).

Basically only noteworthy accomplishes he has are:

-500 goals
-2 time leading goal scorer
-6 time top-10 in goal scoring

That is pretty thin list for a Hall of Fame inductee who played over 1000 games.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:23 AM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Why this guy isn't considered a shoe-in to the Hall of Fame is beyond me.
I agree with you. Though, as a Slovak, I am very biased, he is a legend here. For us, all his NHL accomplishments are overshadowed by the winning goal he scored for Slovakia in the finals of the 2002 World Championship against Russia. The only gold medal in the history of Slovakia:

us

I just hope his son (Radovan, a decent prospect) will improve enough so that I could see the name Bondra on our national jersey once again.

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:28 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
I agree with you. Though, as a Slovak, I am very biased, he is a legend here. For us, all his NHL accomplishments are overshadowed by the winning goal he scored for Slovakia in the finals of the 2002 World Championship against Russia. The only gold medal in the history of Slovakia:

us

I just hope his son (Radovan, a decent prospect) will improve enough so that I could see the name Bondra on our national jersey once again.
Heīs not his son, but a very distant relative.

Peterīs older son David currently plays in NCAA and has previously played for Slovakia at U18 WC, his younger son Nicholas plays in MWEHL, but unlike David (who had Slovak citizenship only) is not eligible to play for Slovakia AFAIK.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:37 AM
ebis

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Heīs not his son, but a very distant relative.

Peterīs older son David currently plays in NCAA and has previously played for Slovakia at U18 WC, his younger son Nicholas plays in MWEHL, but unlike David (who had Slovak citizenship only) is not eligible to play for Slovakia AFAIK.
Wait, really? I had no idea, I always thought that Radovan was his son.

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
You compare him to bunch of centers who if for nothing else had many assists as well. Shanahan is interesting though, although i totally agree with the induction commitee that he was not a first-ballot guy. Better than Bondra though.

Edit: Let me rephrase that come to think of it. Bondra might very well have had a petter peak than Shanny. Certainly a better goalscorer.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 01-23-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
begbeee

For the good amount of time like 1995 - 2002 he was the best goalscorer in the NHL not named Jaromir. Yes, better than Bure or Selanne in terms of goals totals. I don't doubt lack of points, Bondra was a sniper. But man, what a sniper! I read a lot on HFboards calling him poor man's Bure. No. In terms of goalscoring he was on par with him and Selanne. And also at the time he was the fastest skater out there, even better than Bure. During mentioned period Bure won Richard Trophy three times, Bondra twice but scored way more goals...
I don't know why he is bashed here so much. It reminds me Hossa - Elias - Alfredsson case where Elias and Alfredsson will be inducted in HOF by HFboars standards and Hossa not. Bure and Selanne are praised here but during their primes (!) Bondra was better scorer. Bure barely hit 90 points during prime why he is not bashed and Bondra is with his 80. Give Selanne Kristich, Pivonka or Nikolishin (Bondra's centers) instead of Kariya and he wouldn't crack 100 too.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:28 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Bure barely hit 90 points during prime why he is not bashed and Bondra is with his 80.
You realize Bure had back to back 60 goal seasons totaling 110 and 107 points in each?

Also, for one of the years he "barely hit 90 points", he got 92, while his next closest teammate had 37?

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
begbeee

Do you realize I'm comparing their primes during dead puck era?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:20 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
For the good amount of time like 1995 - 2002 he was the best goalscorer in the NHL not named Jaromir. Yes, better than Bure or Selanne in terms of goals totals. I don't doubt lack of points, Bondra was a sniper. But man, what a sniper! I read a lot on HFboards calling him poor man's Bure. No. In terms of goalscoring he was on par with him and Selanne. And also at the time he was the fastest skater out there, even better than Bure. During mentioned period Bure won Richard Trophy three times, Bondra twice but scored way more goals...
I don't know why he is bashed here so much. It reminds me Hossa - Elias - Alfredsson case where Elias and Alfredsson will be inducted in HOF by HFboars standards and Hossa not. Bure and Selanne are praised here but during their primes (!) Bondra was better scorer. Bure barely hit 90 points during prime why he is not bashed and Bondra is with his 80. Give Selanne Kristich, Pivonka or Nikolishin (Bondra's centers) instead of Kariya and he wouldn't crack 100 too.
Well, from -95 to -02 Bondra had one more goal than Selanne. He did have 32 games less at that timeframe too. I guess it is fair to say Bondra was about egual goal scorer for that time. But the thing is, those are Bondras best years not Selanne's. Selanne also had about 150 more points during that time. I think it is pretty clear that even if Bondra is somewhat able to score goals at same pace as Selanne, altough i think Selanne was better even in that regard, he leaves behind basically in every other aspect of the game.

Bure and Selanne both peaked a lot higher than Bondra. I mean a lot. They were simply two different caliber players than Bondra.

Now adding to the fact that without Selanne re-inventing himself after the lockout he would have been a borderline Hall of Famer with many leaving him out.
So even with a better resume than Bondra has Selanne was borderline candidate.

How on earth is there a case for Bondra then?

Considering the games played difference between Bondra and Selanne:
Other of these players has career GPG of 0,47 and other has 0,50. Guess which is which?

Old
01-23-2013, 12:32 PM
thom

To compare Bondra to beliveau you must be a 15 yrs old but I do understand where your coming from.Should Steve shutt and Jacques Lemaire be in the Hall?In terms of pts Bondra should be in.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote