HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Peter Bondra, hockey hall of fame?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2011, 08:04 AM
  #101
Dangler99*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
No Absolutely not. He Has never been top 10 in scoring in a season and his stats are not hall of fame worthy. If this is the hall of fame how can a player who was never among the top 10 scorers get induction?
He would have two Richard Trophies if the award existed when he led the NHL in goals and some more top 10 goal scoring finishes but he never was a point producer which really hurts his chances in my opinion.


Last edited by Dangler99*: 06-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
  #102
revolverjgw
Registered User
 
revolverjgw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta View Post
If this is the hall of fame how can a player who was never among the top 10 scorers get induction?
It just happened yesterday

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
  #103
Dangler99*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
It just happened yesterday
It should not happen ever though. If your not top 10 in scoring ever it means that you were not an Elite player in the NHL. Well at least offence wise.

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 09:59 AM
  #104
WingsFan95
Registered User
 
WingsFan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,625
vCash: 500
It's not that he doesn't deserve to get in.

It's that there's several players who deserve to get in before him...

So I guess I'm being cheap by saying he won't get in because he's below the competition.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:07 AM
  #105
Theokritos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,679
vCash: 500
Belongs in the Washington Capitals Hall of Fame, but not in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 10:43 AM
  #106
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,022
vCash: 500
Bondra was a really good player, but he's not a Hall of Famer. His career assist totals where to small for him go in the HHOF.

__________________
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 12:21 PM
  #107
Kamzik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
If we deem the dead puck era to be 1994-2004, then we are keeping out the 2nd greatest goal scorer of that era, and dangerous penalty killer (he was first in SHG during that time).

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 01:43 PM
  #108
Infinite Vision*
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Honestly, I think Bondra was just as good, if not better than Cam Neely.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
  #109
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Vision View Post
Honestly, I think Bondra was just as good, if not better than Cam Neely.
you forgot to finish your sentence with "at scoring goals in the regular season."

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:00 PM
  #110
I Am Score*
---BradD---
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Peter Bondra - Hall of Famer

Why this guy isn't considered a shoe-in to the Hall of Fame is beyond me. Let's look at his resume:

Played 1000 Games
One of The Fastest To 500 goals
Nearly 1000 points (892)
One Of The Best Slovakian Players Ever


Reached 500 goals faster than:

(Bold are Hall of Famers)

Jean Beliveau
Brendan Shanahan
Mike Modano
Mats Sundin
Jarome Iginla

And was less than 10 games within these players when he reached 500:

Gordie Howe
Mark Messier

Joe Sakic


What do you guys think about this travesty?

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:16 PM
  #111
SidGenoMario
Registered User
 
SidGenoMario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,185
vCash: 511
those arguments leave something to be desired

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:04 AM
  #112
Evincar
Your Final Judgement
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Reached 500 goals faster than:

(Bold are Hall of Famers)

Jean Beliveau
Brendan Shanahan
Mike Modano
Mats Sundin
Jarome Iginla

And was less than 10 games within these players when he reached 500:

Gordie Howe
Mark Messier

Joe Sakic
The 8 players there all were named to at least 1 All-star team and were top 10 in points at least twice. Bondra has neither of those accolades on his resume. And they were all significantly better playoff performers.

Even with the HOF's crappy standards Bondra will never be inducted. I never heard or read anyone from the media even mentioning his case. He's long forgotten. Turgeon or Tkachuk have a better shot.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:06 AM
  #113
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,738
vCash: 50
Well, Bondra had elite goal scoring ability no doubt. But is it enough for the Hall of Fame. I say no.

He led the league in goals twice (95, 98) and had 6 top-10 finishes. But he never finished top-10 in points. Actually he never broke the 90 point barrier, topping at 85 in -92. He broke the 80 point barrier three times which is not exactly a HoF material.

He was never 1st or 2nd team all-star and frankly he never was in the discussion of being the best RW in the game.

He finished his career with significantly less than 1000 points and his career PPG is 0.83.

He never had any success in the Play-Off's and no cup's to show for it. Only time when he managed to get in to the finals his team got sweep by Detroit.

I can't really say he was a Hall of Famer. He belongs in the Hall of Very good and frankly he is not even in the highest echelon in there.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:16 AM
  #114
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 37,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
The 8 players there all were named to at least 1 All-star team and were top 10 in points at least twice. Bondra has neither of those accolades on his resume. And they were all significantly better playoff performers.

Even with the HOF's crappy standards Bondra will never be inducted. I never heard or read anyone from the media even mentioning his case. He's long forgotten. Turgeon or Tkachuk have a better shot.
Pretty sure Bondra was never even third in AS voting for RW

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:15 AM
  #115
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,449
vCash: 500
I'd put him in but the HOF is snooty but with that said people don't really think of Bondra as one of the great players of the 90s. They do think of others not in the HOF like Kariya though and maybe even Mogilny before they think of Bondra. He was a star when he played but he's a forgotten player in a way. Maybe if he was NAmerican or played on a more prestigious team.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:45 AM
  #116
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I'd put him in but the HOF is snooty but with that said people don't really think of Bondra as one of the great players of the 90s. They do think of others not in the HOF like Kariya though and maybe even Mogilny before they think of Bondra. He was a star when he played but he's a forgotten player in a way. Maybe if he was NAmerican or played on a more prestigious team.
I don't think Bondra's case is hurt too much due to the nationality. Unless he would have been robbed some credentials in his career.

HOF is not nearly as snooty as it could be in my opinion. Bondra just simply lack's all the credential's a Hall Of Famer should have by the end of career. Not a single all-star selection. Not a single award. Not a single cup/defining play-off. Not top-10 finishes in points. Under PPG for career. Under 1000 points (under 900 in fact).

Basically only noteworthy accomplishes he has are:

-500 goals
-2 time leading goal scorer
-6 time top-10 in goal scoring

That is pretty thin list for a Hall of Fame inductee who played over 1000 games.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:23 AM
  #117
ebis
Registered User
 
ebis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Czech Republic
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Why this guy isn't considered a shoe-in to the Hall of Fame is beyond me.
I agree with you. Though, as a Slovak, I am very biased, he is a legend here. For us, all his NHL accomplishments are overshadowed by the winning goal he scored for Slovakia in the finals of the 2002 World Championship against Russia. The only gold medal in the history of Slovakia:

us

I just hope his son (Radovan, a decent prospect) will improve enough so that I could see the name Bondra on our national jersey once again.

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:28 AM
  #118
slovakiasnextone
Registered User
 
slovakiasnextone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
I agree with you. Though, as a Slovak, I am very biased, he is a legend here. For us, all his NHL accomplishments are overshadowed by the winning goal he scored for Slovakia in the finals of the 2002 World Championship against Russia. The only gold medal in the history of Slovakia:

us

I just hope his son (Radovan, a decent prospect) will improve enough so that I could see the name Bondra on our national jersey once again.
Heīs not his son, but a very distant relative.

Peterīs older son David currently plays in NCAA and has previously played for Slovakia at U18 WC, his younger son Nicholas plays in MWEHL, but unlike David (who had Slovak citizenship only) is not eligible to play for Slovakia AFAIK.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:37 AM
  #119
ebis
Registered User
 
ebis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Czech Republic
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Heīs not his son, but a very distant relative.

Peterīs older son David currently plays in NCAA and has previously played for Slovakia at U18 WC, his younger son Nicholas plays in MWEHL, but unlike David (who had Slovak citizenship only) is not eligible to play for Slovakia AFAIK.
Wait, really? I had no idea, I always thought that Radovan was his son.

ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
  #120
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 593
You compare him to bunch of centers who if for nothing else had many assists as well. Shanahan is interesting though, although i totally agree with the induction commitee that he was not a first-ballot guy. Better than Bondra though.

Edit: Let me rephrase that come to think of it. Bondra might very well have had a petter peak than Shanny. Certainly a better goalscorer.


Last edited by Darth Yoda: 01-23-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
  #121
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
For the good amount of time like 1995 - 2002 he was the best goalscorer in the NHL not named Jaromir. Yes, better than Bure or Selanne in terms of goals totals. I don't doubt lack of points, Bondra was a sniper. But man, what a sniper! I read a lot on HFboards calling him poor man's Bure. No. In terms of goalscoring he was on par with him and Selanne. And also at the time he was the fastest skater out there, even better than Bure. During mentioned period Bure won Richard Trophy three times, Bondra twice but scored way more goals...
I don't know why he is bashed here so much. It reminds me Hossa - Elias - Alfredsson case where Elias and Alfredsson will be inducted in HOF by HFboars standards and Hossa not. Bure and Selanne are praised here but during their primes (!) Bondra was better scorer. Bure barely hit 90 points during prime why he is not bashed and Bondra is with his 80. Give Selanne Kristich, Pivonka or Nikolishin (Bondra's centers) instead of Kariya and he wouldn't crack 100 too.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:28 AM
  #122
kmad
Riot Survivor
 
kmad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Bure barely hit 90 points during prime why he is not bashed and Bondra is with his 80.
You realize Bure had back to back 60 goal seasons totaling 110 and 107 points in each?

Also, for one of the years he "barely hit 90 points", he got 92, while his next closest teammate had 37?

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:19 PM
  #123
begbeee
Registered User
 
begbeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
Do you realize I'm comparing their primes during dead puck era?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:20 PM
  #124
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
For the good amount of time like 1995 - 2002 he was the best goalscorer in the NHL not named Jaromir. Yes, better than Bure or Selanne in terms of goals totals. I don't doubt lack of points, Bondra was a sniper. But man, what a sniper! I read a lot on HFboards calling him poor man's Bure. No. In terms of goalscoring he was on par with him and Selanne. And also at the time he was the fastest skater out there, even better than Bure. During mentioned period Bure won Richard Trophy three times, Bondra twice but scored way more goals...
I don't know why he is bashed here so much. It reminds me Hossa - Elias - Alfredsson case where Elias and Alfredsson will be inducted in HOF by HFboars standards and Hossa not. Bure and Selanne are praised here but during their primes (!) Bondra was better scorer. Bure barely hit 90 points during prime why he is not bashed and Bondra is with his 80. Give Selanne Kristich, Pivonka or Nikolishin (Bondra's centers) instead of Kariya and he wouldn't crack 100 too.
Well, from -95 to -02 Bondra had one more goal than Selanne. He did have 32 games less at that timeframe too. I guess it is fair to say Bondra was about egual goal scorer for that time. But the thing is, those are Bondras best years not Selanne's. Selanne also had about 150 more points during that time. I think it is pretty clear that even if Bondra is somewhat able to score goals at same pace as Selanne, altough i think Selanne was better even in that regard, he leaves behind basically in every other aspect of the game.

Bure and Selanne both peaked a lot higher than Bondra. I mean a lot. They were simply two different caliber players than Bondra.

Now adding to the fact that without Selanne re-inventing himself after the lockout he would have been a borderline Hall of Famer with many leaving him out.
So even with a better resume than Bondra has Selanne was borderline candidate.

How on earth is there a case for Bondra then?

Considering the games played difference between Bondra and Selanne:
Other of these players has career GPG of 0,47 and other has 0,50. Guess which is which?

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:32 PM
  #125
thom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,952
vCash: 500
To compare Bondra to beliveau you must be a 15 yrs old but I do understand where your coming from.Should Steve shutt and Jacques Lemaire be in the Hall?In terms of pts Bondra should be in.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.