HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks 3, Blues 2

Old
01-23-2013, 09:09 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Great game to go to. I was behind the net on the shoot twice end in row 12. Very happy with my seats and our play.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
This is how the lines should be:

Saad Toews Hossa
Sharp Bolland Kane
Stalberg Kruger Shaw
Bollig Mayers Frolik/Bickell

Bickell and Frolik were terrible last night, one of them or both should be traded for a pick and bring up Morin, Hayes and/or Ben Smith when he's healthy.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post

Saad Toews Hossa
Sharp Bolland Kane
Stalberg Kruger Shaw

Bickell and Frolik were terrible last night, one of them or both should be traded for a pick and bring up Morin, Hayes and/or Ben Smith when he's healthy.

Not much disagreement here, but I'd rather get a crusty old fart in who can win a defensive zone draw.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
BobbyJet

My impressions:

-Strong performances from many - with kudos to Kane, Stalberg, Saad, Hammer and Oduya.
-Crawford got the job done but was sometimes awkward especially in his positioning after the initial save. The d was pretty good in clearing loose pucks around him.
-Again I thought Bickell was fine, despite all the criticism. He and Stalberg work quite well together but Shaw is struggling and itís affecting the lines effectiveness (but itís only 3 games for him at center remember)
-JO and Hammer had a good game overall, Rozy, not so much, got beat a few times and Leddy was okay. Seabrook is slowly getting his form back
-Q has been more patient with his lines so far (likely because we are winning). Except for a few tweaks, Iíd like that to remain as there seems to be some real chemistry growing.. If Shaw doesnít improve, heís the most likely to get shuffled. Heís playing like he has been told not to take penalties. The d pairings have worked quite well to date. Blues were not as physical as I had anticipated but Hawks in general are playing with more grit, and itís nice to see. Kane and Hossa especially seem very hungry this season to date and are playing with a purpose.

This game should have been a laugher after the first 15 minutes or so. St Louis had a terrible start and defensive lapses at other times throughout the game, but as was the case often last season, it seems to be a recurring theme that the opps goalie stones us throughout the game keeping the score closer than it oughta be. The Hawks puck possession game for much of the first period was impressive, almost 2010-like.. The question I have however: is it Hawks inability to finish or simply great goaltending that prevents us from running up the score? At one point Hawks had 10 odd man rushes and scored only once, on the 3 on 0. Those defensive breakdowns wonít likely happen again against St Louis and yet we barely eked out the win in the end. Weíre 3 - 0, yes but I remain cautiously optimistic.. My main concern is we donít respond well when the opps turn up the heat in the 3rd. The specialty teams seem somewhat better, but itís early, and Iíd like to see more improvement.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:27 AM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
My impressions:

-Strong performances from many - with kudos to Kane, Stalberg, Saad, Hammer and Oduya.
-Crawford got the job done but was sometimes awkward especially in his positioning after the initial save. The d was pretty good in clearing loose pucks around him.
-Again I thought Bickell was fine, despite all the criticism. He and Stalberg work quite well together but Shaw is struggling and itís affecting the lines effectiveness (but itís only 3 games for him at center remember)
-JO and Hammer had a good game overall, Rozy, not so much, got beat a few times and Leddy was okay. Seabrook is slowly getting his form back
-Q has been more patient with his lines so far (likely because we are winning). Except for a few tweaks, Iíd like that to remain as there seems to be some real chemistry growing.. If Shaw doesnít improve, heís the most likely to get shuffled. Heís playing like he has been told not to take penalties. The d pairings have worked quite well to date. Blues were not as physical as I had anticipated but Hawks in general are playing with more grit, and itís nice to see. Kane and Hossa especially seem very hungry this season to date and are playing with a purpose.

This game should have been a laugher after the first 15 minutes or so. St Louis had a terrible start and defensive lapses at other times throughout the game, but as was the case often last season, it seems to be a recurring theme that the opps goalie stones us throughout the game keeping the score closer than it oughta be. The Hawks puck possession game for much of the first period was impressive, almost 2010-like.. The question I have however: is it Hawks inability to finish or simply great goaltending that prevents us from running up the score? At one point Hawks had 10 odd man rushes and scored only once, on the 3 on 0. Those defensive breakdowns wonít likely happen again against St Louis and yet we barely eked out the win in the end. Weíre 3 - 0, yes but I remain cautiously optimistic.. My main concern is we donít respond well when the opps turn up the heat in the 3rd. The specialty teams seem somewhat better, but itís early, and Iíd like to see more improvement.
I think that is what we need to remember ... it's early and we are fortunate that we are 3-0, not because we haven't played well but just because this early in a strange year there are many more variables what with no training camp etc.
The team is looking great and as many have posted there are a few areas to address but not too many. I agree with a lot that Shaw should go back to wing and Kruger should take 3LC and Mayers 4LC. Bollig and Bickell can trade who sits on any given night.
But Man am I happy with what I have seen so far! Just need our back up to be sharper on those back to back starts he gets ( Emery that's you ... or will it be Karlsson? ).

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:30 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

So far Toews has stayed under the radar. I'm guessing his typical slow starts to the season aren't limited to October. If that's the case then I hope his usual season progression of Slow Start > Heat Up > Concussion > Miss 4 Weeks > Playoff Beast Mode is adjusted by the shortened season to just Slow Start > Heat Up just in time for the playoffs.

Last edited by MadhouseOnMadison: 01-23-2013 at 09:40 AM.
MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:36 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadhouseOnMadison View Post
So far Toews has stayed under the radar. I'm guessing his typical slow starts to the season aren't limited to October. If that's the case then I hope his usual season progression of Slow Start > Heat Up > Concussion > Heal > Playoff Beast Mode is adjusted by the shortened season to just Slow Start > Heat Up just in time for the playoffs.
3 points and +5 to start the season ain't bad.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:37 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I made it home just in time to see Stalberg get the 3rd goal for the Hawks. After that goal, it seemed to me like the Hawks stopped playing to win, and played to not lose.

When the Blues got their first goal, and then the second I got real worried that they would fall apart. Crawford closed the game exceptionally, especially on the 6 on 5 where we didn't clear the puck once.

I'll be watching the first 2 periods when I get home. Was an exciting finish though for the 18ish minutes I saw.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:39 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
I made it home just in time to see Stalberg get the 3rd goal for the Hawks. After that goal, it seemed to me like the Hawks stopped playing to win, and played to not lose.

When the Blues got their first goal, and then the second I got real worried that they would fall apart. Crawford closed the game exceptionally, especially on the 6 on 5 where we didn't clear the puck once.

I'll be watching the first 2 periods when I get home. Was an exciting finish though for the 18ish minutes I saw.
Exactly what I thought. They had trouble holding onto the puck and getting shots after that.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by BollandRocks View Post
I don't understand the hatred for Oduya. The guy makes plays. I think he's a fine addition to the team.
I am by no means an Oduya hater, I think he is a solid defenseman with a good first pass. My only real issue with him is that he seems absolutely petrified to take a hit. Anytime he is pressured hard he makes a bad decision with the puck.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Toews is ppg so far and playing great hockey. Wins his FOs and is just good. Kane and Hossa get more spotlight so far. Sharp will be next is a feeling I get. Or Keith.

Talking about Keith:
It looks like he is mentally in good shape, more focused than the last 2 years. Looks like he found out that he was blessed with a big gift and lots of talent.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:04 AM
hockeydoug

Speaking of Keith, Q hasn't used him for more than 23 minutes in a game yet this year.

hockeydoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Speaking of Keith, Q hasn't used him for more than 23 minutes in a game yet this year.
That will payoff in the playoffs.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
KyleJRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Exactly what I thought. They had trouble holding onto the puck and getting shots after that.
It seemed to me that the Blues just started to press. When the other team starts pressing harder, you're going to look on your heels. Can't be helped.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
hawksfan50

Blues got off to a terrible start--we should have buried them in the first period but blew too many freebie odd man rushes getting only the Kane beauty in...I thought we played a lot worse in the 2nd period but got a lucky break on the Keith shot redirected off Seabrook's skate and past Elliott...Then we sucked bigtime in the 3rd despite getting another early goal from Stalberg...The Blues really came on and dominated the 3rd period but Crawford made just enough big saves to hold us in for a 1 goal margin victory...By the last half of the third period it looked like we forgot how to clear pucks out of our zone and in the frenetic finish we looked like a Chinese Fire Drill --running around our own zone and chasing in futility ...just awful..Q cannot be pleased with the last 2/3 of the game and especially that awful 3rd period display ..nice to win but must be better than that for 60 minutes -you cannot lose your "mo" like that letting opponents get off the mat to take over the play and puck possession and winning stick and board battles for the puck in your own zone like that...Q will vent at such a "bad habit" letdown creeping in...

Notes: I thought SAAD was the best guy on his line last night --Toews was meh,Hossa not as prominent as in the first 2 GP...KANE to his credit looks motivated this year-which is what we expect and need from him...BICKELL l looks a lot faster than last year and is playing very well ...SHAW looks lost and off his rambunctious game as if Q wants him to be more finesse and avoid penalties-that will ruin his effectiveness ==Q needs to let him get his edginess back ..
KRUGER made 2 potential goal-saving back-checks --he is playing very well..

It was a better game from 2 and 7 --but still way off their Cup year form...Hopefully they get better with more GP...however of comcern Toews --only 1 shot on goal,Kane only 2 shots (though he scored on 1 of them),Hossa only 2 shots ---when the BIG 3 get only a combined 5 shots on goal either you credit the opponents OR
you demand better from the Big 3 ...(Bickell with 3 shots and Shaw with 4 shots and Stalberg with 1 shot were a combined 8 of our 27 shots ...Frolik managed 3 shots --so these 4 were 44.44% of our shots attacking the STL net --the big 4 guns (Sharp had 3 shots) were only 29.6% of our sots on attack --you would think this needs to be inverted...your besty should be your best--but not last night...toews is a +5 after 3GP and dominant again in faceoffs --but only 4 shots in 3GP ? Gotta step it up ---shoot more should translate to more goals for him ..gotta get more shots off than this...

hawksfan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Cullksinikers

People are really questioning Toews' play? Really? He could have easily potted one last night but made an unselfish pass to Kane. Also was strong in his own end and great at the dot. Guy is amazing every night.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
The defensive minutes so far has been really good with all the players. No more having 1 or 2 guys playing 27 minutes with others playing 8 as Q has done in the past.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Cullksinikers

7 minutes being shed from the ice time each over the course of the season is going to pay huge dividends to say the least. Norris Keith could come back. Seriously.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Stalberg-Kruger-Shaw
Bickell-Mayers-Frolik would be nice to see.
Seperating Kruger/Frolik would be mistake right now

Some pretty good chemistry betwheen those 2 right now

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post

Saad Toews Hossa
Sharp Bolland Kane
Stalberg Kruger Shaw

Shaw was easily the worst player on ice last night

Bickell has played well these past 2 games and is actually throwing hits while Frolik set up Bollig quality chance and outside of the final PK in which he left man alone he was good again overall

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:01 AM
madgoat33

yea not sure what game people were watching if they had a problem with bickell. Shaw on the other hand was and has been unadulterated garbage. he needs to get it together soon or get sent down

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Sevanston

If we're keeping Kruger and Frolik together on the 4th line, we need a new 3rd line center.

Shaw isn't cutting it. Mayers won't cut it either.

Even if you look in Rockford, you come out with Pirri and maybe Smith. I don't think either of them would be too impressive in a shutdown role, even though I really like them both as players.

EDIT: I would love to sign Dominic Moore. But I'm not sure he wants to play this season, and for good reason.

Last edited by Sevanston: 01-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
yea not sure what game people were watching if they had a problem with bickell. Shaw on the other hand was and has been unadulterated garbage. he needs to get it together soon or get sent down
He'll get it together when he's moved back to a wing. He's a 140 foot player, not a 200 foot one. His poor start is on Q.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
He'll get it together when he's moved back to a wing. He's a 140 foot player, not a 200 foot one. His poor start is on Q.
Unfortunately for him, I see him being demoted to Rockford before being moved back to a wing.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
People are really questioning Toews' play? Really? He could have easily potted one last night but made an unselfish pass to Kane. Also was strong in his own end and great at the dot. Guy is amazing every night.
This is why I absolutely love Toews. I agree with those saying he hasn't played particularly well yet. And yet, even at his "below average" he is still one of our best players. Despite having 3 points so far, he hasn't really dominated offensively yet the way he can, so in that sense he is not playing his best, but at the same time he has still been one of our best players. Does that make sense?

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote