HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

How will the NHL make up for the loss of the All-Star Game?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Remember last Winter? What a mess. I don't see it happening here. Could it be played in Cleveland? Maybe. OSU isn't exactly a friendly neighbor to the CBJ.
I still think Cleveland makes an enormous amount of sense.

And with Mike Lombardi taking over as GM of the Browns, it's not like we'll ever have to worry about a conflict with an NFL playoff game anytime soon...

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:25 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I think there is a chance the Shoe could work. One thing going for it is that the sun hardly hits the field for much time at all ever since they lowered the it and added the new press box. This one the main reason they could no longer grow grass there.

I would not mind it being in Cleveland if I at all felt like the city cared one bit about the Jackets.

01-23-2013, 10:16 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I would not mind it being in Cleveland if I at all felt like the city cared one bit about the Jackets.
I'm sure many up there would feel it to be a tryout preceding an attempt to move the team there. A CBJ outdoor game in Cleveland would be out of the question, for me.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
100% my thoughts.

01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I'm sure Cleveland cares for the Jackets more then OSU does...

Old
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I think OSU's love of the money and publicity that come with hosting a Winter Classic would cancel out any animosity they have towards the Jackets.

And best case scenario, the Jackets need to have a sustained period of competitiveness and high attendance before the NHL even considers the Jackets. Anything earlier than 2018 seems out of the question. By then, Gee will probably be out of the picture.

Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:37 AM
EDM

OSU usually has football game planned for some time around January 1st. Not at all sure they would be interested in a hockey game diverting attention from whatever bowl game they are playing in.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
OSU usually has football game planned for some time around January 1st. Not at all sure they would be interested in a hockey game diverting attention from whatever bowl game they are playing in.
Don't worry, I'm sure if the NCAA starts sniffing around again, they won't have to worry about that for a while.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
The real plan is to be playing one week later than that, so I think they don't see this as a problem.

Quote:
Don't worry, I'm sure if the NCAA starts sniffing around again, they won't have to worry about that for a while.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:38 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
I do, actually.

ClevelandJacketFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Its funny, because its true.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Its funny, because its true.
And so entirely unlike every single other major collegiate athletics institution ever!

Please attempt to recall that not all of us here are on y'all's hatewagon, and certain local institutions are actually of primary importance to some of our families past and present, kthx?

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:46 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And so entirely unlike every single other major collegiate athletics institution ever!

Please attempt to recall that not all of us here are on y'all's hatewagon, and certain local institutions are actually of primary importance to some of our families past and present, kthx?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:29 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post

That's a very good school. Are they off probation, yet, from RichRod?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
CBJFan19*

Quote:

they missed spelled blow

CBJFan19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
As I said, I am not looking for retribution. You are doing what I said we shouldn't. Playing the victim card. The CBJ and the league knew up front this was a possible, if not likely, outcome. I didn't even bother considering buying tickets to the ASG for this very reason. Any person caught off guard by it and bought season tickets just for that reason should receive a good old smack in the back of the head and 10 minutes in time out.

I'm not interested in big market, small market politics. We know we are a small market and what comes along with it. The league doesn't owe us anything other than future considerations in upcoming events. Meaning another ASG as the earliest possible time and, perhaps, another draft sooner rather than later (the first one we did worked out great). As far as the WC, frankly I will be amazed if we get serious consideration until we can prove we can win on the ice with some star power. If I was in the league office, I wouldn't give us the time of day for that event

You said it wasn't that simple. Frankly it is just that simple.
Solid post....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Oh I recall

I'm no fan of college sports period. Its kind of like rooting for indentured labor in the 19th century. I'm especially jaded on OSU because I spent 5 years there while they villified Robert Smith for having the audacity to not attend "optional" practices because they interfered with his pre med curriculem.

Good news though, Football U just raised ticket prices. Gene Smith's gotta pay those lawyers, and account for lost revenue from the bowl ban.

Anyways, back on topic, it would be a cold day in hell when OSU would allow that grass to be covered, and layered with ice so the Blue Jackets could play an outdoor hockey game on campus.

Last edited by Nordique: 01-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:32 PM
vthockey

Don't see the Winter Classic happening- weather and as mentioned OSU issues.
I always felt the only reason we got the All Star Game was because we were last in the NHL, even with Mr. Nash and the NHL and Jackets needed to do something to keep the STHs.
If we come in 9th this year I will call that progress.

vthockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:37 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Yeah, you guys will probably get one of the first ASG's back and that's about it. Hopefully 2015 so you get the first one back.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:26 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

I totally disagree with those who say OSU wouldn't be interested in hosting a WC. I have no, zero, zilch doubts that OSU would jump at the chance to host such an event. I don't know why some seem to think there is some kind of competition or bad blood between OSU and CBJ. OSU schedules the events in the NWA for goodness sakes. A chance to rake in $$$ in fees and television contracts, etc. etc. on a day when the stadium would normally be sitting idle. Are you kidding me?? OSU would be all over that. I still don't think it will happen because we are talking about the CBJ and the unpredictable weather, but OSU wouldn't be an issue.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
fox2usp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
I totally disagree with those who say OSU wouldn't be interested in hosting a WC. I have no, zero, zilch doubts that OSU would jump at the chance to host such an event. I don't know why some seem to think there is some kind of competition or bad blood between OSU and CBJ. OSU schedules the events in the NWA for goodness sakes. A chance to rake in $$$ in fees and television contracts, etc. etc. on a day when the stadium would normally be sitting idle. Are you kidding me?? OSU would be all over that. I still don't think it will happen because we are talking about the CBJ and the unpredictable weather, but OSU wouldn't be an issue.
Yes, yes they do. And they quite clearly have skewed toward OSU's benefit, with the exception of the big three (Bieber, Swift, One Direction) this summer.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
There is only one thing in the world that Ohio State cares about.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If they can make it, they'll do it.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:00 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

In summary...

Quote:
Good, but still screw them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBuckeyeRob View Post
First overall pick the next 2 seasons should make up for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'd happily settle for the Stanley Cup Finals.
Quote:
They will give us the head of Jeff Carter

Now on to the "Fire Howson and Davidson" thread....

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote