HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎ ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
KeninsFan
Fire Benning already

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Wouldn't aquiring a 33 year old with 10 years left indicate they aren't rebuilding?
Not with Nonis at the helm.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:22 AM
rune74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baartman View Post
At this point, Gillis wants value over team needs IMO.
What makes you say that? He has said numerous times he has offers but not for what the team needs....pretty sure he is looking at team needs.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Spice Trader

I dont understand the love affair with gardiner. Sure he looks like a solid top 4 propsect. But i dont see him miles ahead of a guy like tanev.

Standing out on a terrible team isnt that hard. Your expecting to lose so your poor play is masked while good play is highlighted.

TO fans saying gardiner would crack vans top 4 need to pass the koolaid they got going. All of vans top 4 have done much more in the leauge over a longer time fram except garrison. From what ive seen id take garrison over gardiner in a heartbeat todate. Could change in the future but by no means in gardiner a cant miss stud.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
See and I think people stating Mackenzie as a T.O. media person are just wrong. Mac doesn't love the Leafs and is well regarded as the best insider in the business, the man has integrity. You don't make the contacts he has by blabbing just anything he is well respected because of this. And, Lebrun is the one who states most often on TSN, that he believes the Leafs are the most logical destination.
100% agree

Old
01-23-2013, 10:26 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
I dont understand the love affair with gardiner. Sure he looks like a solid top 4 propsect. But i dont see him miles ahead of a guy like tanev.

Standing out on a terrible team isnt that hard. Your expecting to lose so your poor play is masked while good play is highlighted.

TO fans saying gardiner would crack vans top 4 need to pass the koolaid they got going. All of vans top 4 have done much more in the leauge over a longer time fram except garrison. From what ive seen id take garrison over gardiner in a heartbeat todate. Could change in the future but by no means in gardiner a cant miss stud.
You need to see more of Gardiner.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Not with Nonis at the helm.
Not sure i understand this. It doesn't matter who is at the helm, when you make a deal to aquire Luongo (right now) you are not rebuilding.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:33 AM
rune74

TSN Radio ‏@TSN1050Radio

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Mckenzie's pretty funny cause he's had ZERO info this entire time re: Luongo. He was the last to know about Edm and a mystery team that entered negotiations before lockout, and was last to report Phillys interest. He's also had zero info about Gillis past trades (Hodgson/Lappy/Higgins/Booth). I'm guessing he has zero sources inside the Canucks.

Also, sidenote. Lots of people linking Jamie Benn to Gillis Lu comments. I think there is zero chance that happens after reading this (and they don't need goaltending) - but a Van media reporter says he knows otherwise.

Gary Mason ‏@garymasonglobe

Old
01-23-2013, 10:33 AM
BowDangles

The guys on team 1260 said this morning that a rumour has surfaced that the Oilers have offered Sam Gagner straight up for Luongo.

As an Oilers fan, before even getting into Luongo, I would not want the Oilers to trade Gagner just because we would have no body who can play #2C once he is gone..

Maybe the Oilers are the team that needs to move somebody and that somebody is Khabibulin?

If they were to make this deal I would like for them to acquire a #2C with prospects/picks before pulling the trigger..

Old
01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

Quote:
Wouldn't aquiring a 33 year old with 10 years left indicate they aren't rebuilding?

The Leafs aren't doing a tank rebuild. If not for the 17 game fiasco last season, they would have been a playoff team.
please tell me you didnt just say "if not for the 17 game fiasco, they would have been a playoff team".

you mean if it werent for a quarter of the season you would have had a better season?
no kidding.
or put another way, "if it werent for all those games we lost we would have won a lot more games"

Old
01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Zoombie

Fans of both teams are looking at it with homer glasses. I can't see Toronto being a suitable partner at all. Van doesn't want picks/prospects only, and Toronto is unwilling to give up any roster players which would suit needs in Vancouver.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
TieClark

Well considering Vancouver thinks Bozak, Franson and a 2nd was insulting I'd say they're about to flip out over that one too

Old
01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

anytime you can pick up a player with great upside, you do it

Old
01-23-2013, 10:36 AM
baartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
What makes you say that? He has said numerous times he has offers but not for what the team needs....pretty sure he is looking at team needs.
I never said he's not looking at team needs. I said he'd take value over team needs. A team like Vancouver has the fire power on all positions to gamble on prospects and projects. They just don't have a willing trade partner desperate enough to give in to their team needs. In a shortened season, lu doesn't land in the West (sorry Edmonton) Lu has a NTC to further limit Vancouver's dance partners. (sorry islanders, maybe leafs) so what's gillis supposed to do? If he waits till the summer, 29 GM's wait for the buyout, watching gillis squirm under the cap restrictions. Gm's are probably willing to gamble on a signing frenzy to avoid an albatross contact.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Zoombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The guys on team 1260 said this morning that a rumour has surfaced that the Oilers have offered Sam Gagner straight up for Luongo.

As an Oilers fan, before even getting into Luongo, I would not want the Oilers to trade Gagner just because we would have no body who can play #2C once he is gone..

Maybe the Oilers are the team that needs to move somebody and that somebody is Khabibulin?

If they were to make this deal I would like for them to acquire a #2C with prospects/picks before pulling the trigger..
IMO if Gagner for Luongo happened, the Oil would be instantly better, and could challenge for a playoff spot. 2C is easier to find than 1G I'd say... I would do that in a heartbeat (from Edm perspective). No disrespect for Gags, but I don't think that is too high a price to get Lou.

Old
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
I believe Gillis knows Luongo won't waive for TO unless they stop rebuilding, I've always believed that Gillis has used the TO offers as leverage.

There's a reason why every facet of the proposed deals are so public from the TO side and yet very quiet on the Vancouver side.
Exactly. I don't think Toronto has ever really been a viable option, more of, last available option so to speak. I think Roberto's priorities are, 1.Florida, 2.Any East coast team that is or are very close to contending, 3. Certain Western teams that are contenders.

Old
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
please tell me you didnt just say "if not for the 17 game fiasco, they would have been a playoff team".

you mean if it werent for a quarter of the season you would have had a better season?
no kidding.
or put another way, "if it werent for all those games we lost we would have won a lot more games"
Thanks for missing the ENTIRE POINT OF THE POST. Just keep adding more fuel to the pissing contest though.

Old
93gilmour93

On the leaf board I saw grabovski come up in the luongo thread. Could there be a deal with Grabo/ Lu as the main pieces? Curious what Canuck fans think.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
IMO if Gagner for Luongo happened, the Oil would be instantly better, and could challenge for a playoff spot. 2C is easier to find than 1G I'd say... I would do that in a heartbeat (from Edm perspective). No disrespect for Gags, but I don't think that is too high a price to get Lou.
In my opinion, if it's Gagner straight up....you take that and run from an EDM point of view. That is a huge drop in price from Gillis if true though.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Liferleafer
Low expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
On the leaf board I saw grabovski come up in the luongo thread. Could there be a deal with Grabo/ Lu as the main pieces? Curious what Canuck fans think.
I'm not sure how TO could do it. Not speaking to value. I guess we move Kadri up and slot in Steckel?

Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Babs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
Fans of both teams are looking at it with homer glasses. I can't see Toronto being a suitable partner at all. Van doesn't want picks/prospects only, and Toronto is unwilling to give up any roster players which would suit needs in Vancouver.
I agree it won't be Toronto.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
5.5 million on a 3rd line center won't fly in Vancouver. He's being paid more than Kesler

Heck he'd be the third highest paid on the team next to the Sedins

Old
01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

trading grabovsky would give kulemin another excuse to play uninspired

Old
01-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Babs

Quote:
In my opinion, if it's Gagner straight up....you take that and run from an EDM point of view. That is a huge drop in price from Gillis if true though.
No way Gillis does a trade like this to a division rival. If Lu goes to the Oil, the price would be astronomical.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
I'm not sure how TO could do it. Not speaking to value. I guess we move Kadri up and slot in Steckel?
That's what I was thinking.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Babs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
5.5 million on a 3rd line center won't fly in Vancouver. He's being paid more than Kesler

Heck he'd be the third highest paid on the team next to the Sedins
I think we'd be better off trading Lu to NYI for Neilsen, close to the same production and age for half the salary.

Closed Thread