HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Diaz the $7million dollar defenceman??

Old
01-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
It shows Diaz was playing during the lockout.

I think this has sealed deal for Weber. I expect him to be shipped out, since we are relatively deep on D, and other teams around the league are hurting for d-men big time.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
you just dont get the philosophical reason behind it, think about it 2 seconds, Markov makes average defenceman look like all stars he pads their stats, Im not saying Diaz is no good, but for the people that look at points only to assess a player will think he's a top NHL defenceman if he ends up with a 40-60pt season, not this year obviously but hope you get my point. Imagine how much money Subban would be asking for if Markov had played the last 2 years..... thats my point.
I think I get your point but pleeeease, $7m??? If YOU realize that Markov makes his partners better than they really are, do you think that any GM can't see that?

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
It shows Diaz was playing during the lockout.

I think this has sealed deal for Weber. I expect him to be shipped out, since we are relatively deep on D, and other teams around the league are hurting for d-men big time.
I see the opposite I think Kaberle will be the one shipped out and Weber will climb a notch on the depth chart.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I see the opposite I think Kaberle will be the one shipped out and Weber will climb a notch on the depth chart.
I rather keep Kabs than Weber.

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
That could definitely be as well.

I just don't see many teams lining up for Kaberle, whereas I think Weber has some value.

Dr Gonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
I rather keep Kabs than Weber.
Yeah but moving Kaberle's 4.25 cap hit next year might allow us to add a frontline player. Quite a few teams will be struggling to get under the cap and there might be some high end UFA's. Even if it's just a big stay at home d-man.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
lol

loving the 2 game assumptions.

So far Eller is gonna be ruined
Galchenyuk looks like Lemieux
Desharnais is a one hit wonder
Markov is 28 again
Now Diaz is the better Streit

anything else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
sa scent la coupe

typical Habs fans overeaction after any game.

Diaz is looking good, hope he can keep it up. Next step put weber in to replace kaberle next game.

still waiting for PK....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
Prust is God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiher View Post
Yup, The Canadiens are going to win the cup
Holy Debbie Downers Batman. God forbid fans be happy about their team.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Diaz is awesome. That is all.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:37 AM
e46330ivs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I think I get your point but pleeeease, $7m??? If YOU realize that Markov makes his partners better than they really are, do you think that any GM can't see that?
I cant answer that, ask the GM's who signed Souray and Komisarek, Streit was legit though. And I did say in my initial post the title was ridiculous, I appologize if I exagerated to that extent, your right I know he wont get $7 mill but you get my drift I hope.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
xposbrad

I wouldn't be surprised if Diaz gets signed for more than Ovechkin after his 2 game performance so far.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
lol

loving the 2 game assumptions.

So far Eller is gonna be ruined
Galchenyuk looks like Lemieux
Desharnais is a one hit wonder
Markov is 28 again
Now Diaz is the better Streit

anything else?
you pretty much got all the main ones...

Its like people think Eller is hyper fragile...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:21 PM
lesHabitants514

On the defensive side of things, I don't believe he's the guy I want to be in charge of handling... lets say... a Lucic-type player in his own zone or in front of the net but as a right-handed dman on the PP, I'm cool with that. if we had 2 d-pairings that can play 45-50 minutes a game collectively, then i'd keep Diaz on the 3rd pairing with a bigger presence next to him.

He seems to be the missing ingredient Markov needs to thrive on the PP, that being said its only cause he shoots right,has good passing abilities and has a good shot.... Not a good OVERALL dman though

lesHabitants514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesHabitants514 View Post
On the defensive side of things, I don't believe he's the guy I want to be in charge of handling... lets say... a Lucic-type player in his own zone or in front of the net but as a right-handed dman on the PP, I'm cool with that. if we had 2 d-pairings that can play 45-50 minutes a game collectively, then i'd keep Diaz on the 3rd pairing with a bigger presence next to him.

He seems to be the missing ingredient Markov needs to thrive on the PP, that being said its only cause he shoots right and has a good shot.... Not a good OVERALL dman though
I find he is good in all 3 zones. Makes good decisions with and without the puck. Won't put anybody through the boards, but can take the body and uses smarts and quickness to separate the defender from the puck. Looks like a younger version of Streit. He's already better than a 3rd pairing d-man, if he is playing 3rd pair it means taht team is deep on defense.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
lesHabitants514

Quote:
I find he is good in all 3 zones. Makes good decisions with and without the puck. Won't put anybody through the boards, but can take the body and uses smarts and quickness to separate the defender from the puck. Looks like a younger version of Streit. He's already better than a 3rd pairing d-man, if he is playing 3rd pair it means taht team is deep on defense.
Ideally, in my opinion, he shouldn't be a top 4 dman in this league. While I agree that he makes up for his lack of size and power with smart decisions he still isn't tough enough on the boards or strong enough to clear the net and gain footing against bigger opponents. something i believe a top 4 four dman should be able to do in any given game.

lesHabitants514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Really, really impressive game by Diaz last night. Surprisingly impressive if you ask me. The poise with the puck on the PP....just nice to see. Smart hockey player and really good skills. Knows when to shoot vs pass and creates lanes.
Something Subban has not understood yet.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Something Subban has not understood yet.
Indeed. My biggest knock on PK. He could be a lot more selective/creative on the PP.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Good news is he won't get his big payday any time soon he is signed at 1.225 mil/year next year also.

I see Diaz settling in as a Rafalski type #3-4 on a good team that plays 20 minutes a night and on the top PP.
This sums up our problems as Hab fans right here. Let's not get carried away. He had one good game paired with an allstar.

He's been average so far in the NHL imo. Nothing I've seen so far warrants such outlandish overration.

And to the OP 7M? I can see why some of us want to throw the kitchen sink at PK.. disgusting.

Komi was a former top 10
streit was actually good
Souray was a dumb signing and everyone knew it, he had a fluke year. Diaz will get like 2M. He will get a bunch of short deals because noone will trust him. Like Ian White.

Last edited by cjbhab: 01-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.
cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:50 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Prust is God.
qft m8

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:50 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Prust is God.
Prust is the next Chris Nilan! !! Though he does sort of fit that mold.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Yeah but moving Kaberle's 4.25 cap hit next year might allow us to add a frontline player. Quite a few teams will be struggling to get under the cap and there might be some high end UFA's. Even if it's just a big stay at home d-man.
We can keep him. And have our amnesty buyout for him at the end of the season if things don't work out.

Sure, I'd rather trade him and get something for him. But it's nice to know there's a back up to clear cap space.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
bib
#believe

Our team is like an onion.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
This sums up our problems as Hab fans right here. Let's not get carried away. He had one good game paired with an allstar.

He's been average so far in the NHL imo. Nothing I've seen so far warrants such outlandish overration.

And to the OP 7M? I can see why some of us want to throw the kitchen sink at PK.. disgusting.

Komi was a former top 10
streit was actually good
Souray was a dumb signing and everyone knew it, he had a fluke year. Diaz will get like 2M. He will get a bunch of short deals because noone will trust him. Like Ian White.
Wow, Diaz always had great potential.
Souray had a fluke year ? Whut.
Komi a top 10? Whut?...
And didnt you get the joke ? Read the thread next time.
And Markov is not an all star anymore.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Alright we've all seen this story play out before, Souray, Streit, Komisarek get their pay day from riding shotgun with Markov. Now I know the title is ridiculous but you guys know where Im coming from, could Diaz be the next????
Diaz??? No way. The guy I see becoming the next big thing in Montreal is Emelin. Once Therrien realizes that he should be on the 2nd PP unit instead of Gorges, WATCH OUT!

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post

Komi was a former top 10
streit was actually good
Gotta disagree at the end.
Komi didn't get his big contract just because he was a former top 10 pick. He earned it by playing on the top pairing in Montreal with the top D, Markov.

Streit was good offensively. His coaches in Montreal wouldn't play him on defense. Diaz plays on D.

Souray - dumb signing, sure. but a fluke year?
63 15 20 35
75 12 27 39
81 26 38 64
26 3 7 10
81 23 30 53

Doesn't look like a fluke to me. A career year, but not a fluke.

All those guys got their big contracts after being paired with Markov. Either by padding their point total on the PP or just by being on the top pairing with a top 5 D in the league. And lets not forget Schneider. 23 games 5 goals and 12 assists which is a pace of 18-43-61 over a full season.

Souray had his career year with 64 points in 06-07
Streit had his with 62 points in 07-08
Markov had his with 64 points in 08-09
Three years in a row with career seasons with one common denominator.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
I cant answer that, ask the GM's who signed Souray and Komisarek, Streit was legit though. And I did say in my initial post the title was ridiculous, I appologize if I exagerated to that extent, your right I know he wont get $7 mill but you get my drift I hope.
Fans here were ready to give the C to Komisarek so... EVERYONE overrated him.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote