HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets @ Capitals . 1.22.13. 7PM

Old
01-23-2013, 10:33 AM
bgroban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Because the KHL isn't the NHL?
Come on. The drop-off isn't that much.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:37 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
Come on. The drop-off isn't that much.
I agree with the monkey... big difference in the play.

Oh... agree on Ikea too. Love their stuff!

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Ovi at RW is throwing them off

or

overthinking the system in general and it's throwing them off

or

stuck in a big-ice mindset and it's throwing them off

etc.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!

Or Mojo is throwing them off. I really like the kid but he's played like crap so far.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:50 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

"no training camp" is throwing them off.

"the lockout" is throwing them off.

Can we still use these excuses in March?

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

You can use whatever makes you happiest (or angriest... or both!)

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:57 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Or Mojo is throwing them off. I really like the kid but he's played like crap so far.
Gustaffson> Johansson

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
So...Ovechkin would re-sign here as a UFA...after we essentially call him a lazy fatass and cut him?
1) it should be a plan which OV would agreed with

2) it was a joke because it's a cup cimrcumvention

don't lie yourself - we're stuck with OV, you better wish him good

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:15 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
1) it should be a plan which OV would agreed with

2) it was a joke because it's a cup cimrcumvention

don't lie yourself - we're stuck with OV, you better wish him good
Maybe the problem the whole time was that GMGM has been giving out Cup-circumventing contracts.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
@CoachsCornerCBC: Jets played perfect road game. Good for them. WSH players should be embarrassed. Not many guys worked up a sweat. They should check their
@CoachsCornerCBC: underwear. All the guys except Hendricks. Him and Thorburn had a beauty. A lot of empty seats there.

There isn't really anything captivating about this team so far but it was still a bit surprising to see so many empty endzone seats in the third.
People started leaving later, it was a blowout after all. The arena looked packed at the beginning of the game.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
bonzaibondra12

I don't remember the last time the arena was that quiet. No horn guy last night either, which seemed weird.

I don't see many bright spots with this team. Nothing looks good.

I like the additions of Crabb and Wolski. Hendricks seems to play harder than anyone but he just doesn't have the skill level.

Beagle is still playing hard.

They continually leave people wide open in the slot, or let someone skate to it to shoot. I don't get that. That's just poor defense.

I am not giving up on Holtby because I know you can get down on yourself if the guys in front of you play horrid.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Dirtbag59

Obviously not a promising start to the season but for those holding Hunter up as an example, well safe to say his first few games weren't great either, save when they hit everything that moved in that loss to the Pens.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
This would've been the year for that. Short season, he was already playing in the KHL, etc.

Though, I can't even imagine the cap-circumvention penalties that would be levied on this team if that happened. If New Jersey lost a 1st rounder for signing Kovalchuk to a contract that everyone was doing at that point, I'm thinking the Caps would lose a whole draft (and probably Seth Jones as a part of it, given the record an Ovechkin-less caps would accumulate).
Can you imagine spending 60 million dollars to have him sign with another team?

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:33 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Obviously not a promising start to the season but for those holding Hunter up as an example, well safe to say his first few games weren't great either, save when they hit everything that moved in that loss to the Pens.
I don't think they ever looked this confused under Hunter though. Perhaps Oates' system is a little more complicated so its taking these guys a little longer to understand what to do? I dunno, I mean... most of these guys play in a bunch of different systems during the year (Worlds after NFL season is over, for example) and don't seem to have much problem picking up the system. They look clueless right now and it is worrisome.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I don't think they ever looked this confused under Hunter though. Perhaps Oates' system is a little more complicated so its taking these guys a little longer to understand what to do? I dunno, I mean... most of these guys play in a bunch of different systems during the year (Worlds after NFL season is over, for example) and don't seem to have much problem picking up the system. They look clueless right now and it is worrisome.
Fair points and looking back virtually all of Hunters early games were with one goal margins but then again I'd argue that it's easier to teach guys to focus on D then getting them in position to score 3 or 4 goals a game.

Right now I can't help but think Oates is trying to get more film before installing advance concepts but that's just me thinking out loud. Still fans here have been clamoring for a guy capable of making in game adjustments, can't think of a better personality type then a cerebral guy like Oates.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:52 AM
tycoonheart

Oates has been on the radio a few times and said that his system starts with the D. I was kinda surprised to hear that because what I read about him suggested he would be more offense oriented. But he's said a few times it starts with the D, and the offense is going to be generated off of the D. So maybe the defense needs to be sorted out before we can see any kind of offensive cohesion.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Oates has been on the radio a few times and said that his system starts with the D. I was kinda surprised to hear that because what I read about him suggested he would be more offense oriented. But he's said a few times it starts with the D, and the offense is going to be generated off of the D. So maybe the defense needs to be sorted out before we can see any kind of offensive cohesion.
They're actually doing a great job of pinching and keeping the puck in play and they don't seem to be giving up break away chances so it is a bit puzzling that they're struggling so much in their own zone

Old
01-23-2013, 12:20 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
They're actually doing a great job of pinching and keeping the puck in play and they don't seem to be giving up break away chances so it is a bit puzzling that they're struggling so much in their own zone

I couldn't watch last nights game because I had a late night at work, but are they still playing zone D? Because I think that's going to be a problem for them in general.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:43 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
I couldn't watch last nights game because I had a late night at work, but are they still playing zone D? Because I think that's going to be a problem for them in general.
You didn't miss much. Most of the game was a sleeper. Hendricks had two fights and a goal. I'm giving it a few more games before I make my judgement. Right now, they look like a lottery team, but who knows what will happen in a few weeks after they get used to playing together. Ottawa and Buffalo coming up in the schedule.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
Outside of a 20ish game stretch when Hunter first took over, they've played "zone" for essentially their entire career. "Zone" is how defense is played in modern, 5-on-5 hockey. "Man-to-man" is essentially extinct in the NHL, with the exception of 4-on-4 and following your man to the boards.

That's why Hunter/Johnson's decision to go with a "man" system was so noteworthy last year, because it's something that's almost never done in pro hockey. And it's also why they switched back to "zone" later in the season.

Granted, the "zones" are not the same as in football where you can re-align after each and every play. It's not even as rigid as some basketball zone defenses. Players in hockey are expected to adapt and cover for each other on the fly.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:03 PM
CapsandOilers

Last nights game was not good at all. Hendricks was my POG for the Capiitals. What I hated the most was the backlash from "fans" on facebook. I read one friend of mine saying "the season is over and I doi not like the Caps any more". I am not panicking until we keep this up late next week. It is still early!

CapsandOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:23 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Yeah. I really think he's a great player. Last year gave me high hopes for him. The puck seems to find him and I felt with time he'd start to finish more often. Last night was brutal though.

Obviously, we could use more talent in the top 6 and an upgrade at D, but I really think they just need to play at a higher tempo but I'm not sure they can anymore. What baffles me is the fact this team has some good passers on it, but their passing game is horrible. Transitions and zone exits in general look painful.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

The home crowd was as dead as I've ever seen it for most of the game. Uninspired play on ice leads to uninspired fans in the seats. Lot of people left early when it was clear the Caps had no fight in them (26 aside).

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Mike Green's hesitation is killing the tempo and the passing game. He looks so unsure of what to do with the puck when he has it.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Mike Green's hesitation is killing the tempo and the passing game. He looks so unsure of what to do with the puck when he has it.
It's like for the better part of a year...he refuses to take open shots from the point. I don't get it at all...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote